Adolescence: Blinded

The Dokkaebi - Vol. 1
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Yoongi

Gongju

 

Yoongi woke up with a sudden jerk and looked around confused. He was back in his room. How did it all go? Had he become a member?

“How long have I been sleeping?”, he whispered to himself, scratched the back of his head, and got out of bed.

He immediately rushed to the kitchen because he felt very hungry. And as expected, Song Il-Kook sat there at the table and drank a glass of wine.

“Father? How long did I sleep? I am now a member of the Black Army, right? I cannot remember anything!”, Yoongi bombarded him with questions.

“Good morning to you too”, the nobleman greeted him and replied to his adoptive son's questions, “Mm- Not long, only about eight days. I gave you liquid food, you did not really notice that. And I am just relaxing with wine. Wine is good. It tastes so... sweet. Shall I pour you something?”

“Eight days?! !”, Yoongi screamed and looked down at himself, “My- my hygiene needs?”

He blushed and looked at his foster father in shame.

The nobleman laughed and replied with a grin: “Yes, that... was not that bad. I have changed your sheets several times, bathed you and combed your hair. I am your father... I am not terrified by something like this, my son.”

Yoongi did not respond. It was way too awkward of a situation. Song Il-Kook kept smiling and sipped his wine.

“And my other question?”, the young boy urged instead.

The nobleman nodded, drank another glass of wine, and asked again whether he should pour him a glass as well. But Yoongi shook his head. He did not think highly of alcoholic drinks. He would rather have a juice. The boy was still waiting for an answer. Song Il-Kook filled up his glass again and stared right into the eyes of the young boy. He seemed very strict and worried.

Then he sighed and finally answered his adoptive son: “Yes, you are an official member now. One of us. A fighter of the Black Army. From now on you will have to kill if it matters.”

He paused, took another sip before he continued.

“Beware of the fighters from Gongju and especially from the guards. They have a trained eye. They recognize every fighter of mine.”, he warned him.

“I know, I know, father. Oh man! Yes! I am finally a member of the Black Army! How insane is that?!”, Yoongi jumped up all happily, noticed the nobleman's look, sat back down and continued apologetically, “Um... I am sorry. And do not worry about me! I know everything about our army. You have taught me everything carefully anyway. I will have no problem to kill. I also know everything about Gongju and Gyeryong, the fighters and guardians. They cannot beat me!”

Song Il-Kook shook his head while Yoongi approached the cupboard for some dried snacks.

“You say 'kill' as if that were something common. That is nothing good! This is the reason why we have made so many enemies”, he explained to his son with a lowered voice.

Yoongi poured milk into a bowl, took some dried seaweed, and prepared his breakfast. He would rather not argue about this particular topic with his foster father. Killing would be something he had only imagined fulfilling on one person. The kidnapper of his brother. But even that wish was from about four years ago and no longer the main reason for him to join this army. He joined because he felt home and safe with Song Il-Kook around. All Yoongi wanted to do now is, protect his foster father at all costs. Killing the kidnapper was not urgent anymore, but if he had the chance, he still would take it. That person needed to die. Anytime he would do it without hesitation.

“I want you to spend a few days outdoors, in the center of Gongju. I need you to get information about what is going on in the palace. Try to meet Shim Changmin. He will be in the palace.”, the nobleman instructed him, “He will find you.”

Yoongi did not let himself be upset and ate his breakfast. He looked up and waited for further information about his first assignment. After a while, Yoongi answered with his mouth full instead since Song Il-Kook kept silent.

“First of all, you are not to blame in the matter of our enemies, they did you dirty and, secondly, ... I know that killing someone is not a good thing… or to be taken easy.”, Yoongi said determined.

The nobleman looked at him sadly, refilled his glass and took another sip.

“Alright, so the palace in Gongju is it, huh? This is my first assignment. How long am I supposed to stay there?”, Yoongi went into the subject and filled his mouth with another seaweed. He had never learned to shut up if his mouth was full.

“Three days.”, answered Song Il-Kook, “But stay away from the palace.”

“Only three?”, Yoongi whispered to himself and did not even hear the rest of his foster father's words.

He tipped the bowl in his mouth and sipped all of the milk.

“Ah yeah, since this is a secret assignment dress up colorful. The clothing of the Black Army would be too much, you should not arouse attention. We do not want you to blow up your first assignment, do we?”, Song Il-Kook ended the conversation and left the kitchen.

Yoongi refilled his bowl with milk and kept sitting. When his foster father returned, he threw a backpack on the table. The cold milk of Yoongi’s bowl almost spilled over the edge. The young boy immediately looked up, rolled his eyes, and pushed away the bowl. He grabbed the backpack and opened it. Some fresh laundry, toiletries, something to eat and drink, a thin fleece blanket and much more were in it. The boy pursed his lips and nodded in amazement. He was excited!

This would be the opportunity for him. With a little luck he could maybe find the kidnapper of his brother. Song Il-Kook gave him this option. The kidnapper would be the first one to be killed by the young boy. Yes, Yoongi was determined. No mercy. No sparing.

He left his breakfast and hurried to his room. He got dressed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter