Chapter 16

Ice Cream | NoMin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A quiet groan is enough for Jaemin to make him stop on his track to glance at the older in front of him. He caught him yawning while his eyes were still locked on his reviewers.

Both of them decided to study at the nearby coffee shop from their school since the environment is perfect for them to focus. Today is a busy day for both of  them and yet they were here, studying instead of going home and resting. Now, this is pretty much their daily routine, or rather, this is Jeno's daily routine, and Jaemin is here to accompany him.

Jeno was too focused on studying that made him fail to notice the younger's focused eyes on him. It has a visible adoration in it that he couldn't control.

"You know what? Let's wrap everything up and go home." Jaemin said while squeezing the older's right cheek. "That's enough." 

"I can't. You can go first." 

"No, that won't happen." The younger shook. 

"I know we're friends now but I still need to be the top one." Jeno stated while reaching for his coffee and start drinking it. 

But then, he stopped on his track when he realized something regarding on what he's doing in the past until today. 

Why does it feels like, he's only doing this to make his parents proud and not for himself anymore? 

Jeno loves to study and he enjoys every bit of it but these days, he feels like he's only studying because he has to and because he's still scared of his parents getting mad at him.

Especially his mother, he's so scared to disappoint her.

He, like his brother, used to enjoy things without making them into a competition.

"What's wrong?" 

Jaemin's worried voice interrupted him on his thoughts.

Clearing his throat, Jeno shakes his head and flashed a smile to him. "Nothing." 

"Not convincing." 

"I swear, nothing's wrong." He assured him but Jaemin could only look at him. Through his eyes, he can feel that Jeno might be thinking about his frustrations and how pressured he is about their upcoming exam. 

"Hey.." Jeno calls Jaemin. 

"Mm?" 

"I know you are not the type of someone who wants a competition when it comes to this thing." Jeno then heaves a deep sigh. "Now you know the reason why I need to be the top one, I hope you won't change. Like, don't be sorry for me." 

Jaemin gave Jeno a reassuring smile and his other hand is on its way for the latter's hand to hold it tightly. 

"I won't, I promise."

"Thank you."

"So, you'll stay here?" 

"Yup. I'm not yet done."

"Well, I'm done. But I'm not leaving you here. Why don't you just take a break for ten minutes? You've been studying nonstop." 

When Jeno finally let go of his book, he immediately put his head down on the table and closed his eyes. Jaemin is right. He needs to take a break since studying so hard makes him dizzy most of the time but he must do it in order to understand what he's studying. 

"Do you want me to help you?" 

"You're literally my enemy in number one rank." 

"Yeah but we're not competing over that stupid rank and you're not my enemy." 

"I know. But still, do your best." Jeno flashed a smile before ducking his head down on the desk to rest. He closed his eyes for a while and heaves a deep sigh. 

Jaemin on the other hand locked his gaze on him. Slowly, he moved his hand towards Jeno's hair and started caressing it gently. 

Suddenly, Jeno grabs his hand and held it as if his life is in Jaemin's hand. 

The shock on the latter's face changed after a while and smile instead. He used his other hand to pat Jeno on his head. 

"I wish I can introduce you to my parents and hang out in our house sometimes." He said. "I want them to know how happy I became when I'm with you." 

Jeno seems telling himself the last words and he only said it in whisper however, Jaemin clearly heard it as he intertwined their hands together. 

"I'm happy too, Jeno. You have no idea."



 

---

 

Jeno can't help but let out a soft chuckle after noticing that after seeing Jaemin, most of the students tried so hard to avoid him. Well, who wouldn't be? He has a blank expression on his face but his icy vibe remains once again and his left hand is in his pocket. He's walking by himself since his friends are not with him. Until today, there are still some students that don't follow the simple rules about their uniforms and Jaemin is confronting them right at this moment. 

They were scared.

If they only know how kind that cold student council is.

"Oh, is that him?"

Jeno flinched when he heard his mother's voice, but he pretended to be serious because he didn't want to be caught.

"H-Huh?" 

"That boy, your rival. Na Jaemin?" 

Jeno didn't respond because he doesn't see him as a competitor in the first place. They promised each other not to address themselves as rivals.

"What a shame that you didn't win for being a student council president. It's a huge point for your grades."

Oh right, his mother didn't know that he did not run for student council president. He just said that he lost in order to end the argument because he was tired that day.

"He deserves that spot mom. If you only knew how serious and passionate he is about it." 

"And you're not?" 

Jeno faced his mother. Seems like he already know what she'll say. "I told you. Being a president of the student council is not for me." Jeno said this as if he was tired of explaining it to his mother over and over. 

It's tiring.

"You're just lazy." 

Yeah. Whatever.

Honestly, Jeno doesn't care how his mother looks at him and he's getting tired to please her as well but she's sick. She must prevent being stressed or else and in order to do that, Jeno must follow everything she'll say.

He's basically doing everything for the sake of his mother's health.

"Anyway, do your best to beat him. You should be the rank one in this semester, again. Don't disappoint me, Jeno."

He's also getting tired to hear that line. 

Every goddam

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter