Nineteen

Sands Of Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mark placed his hand on Tara's back and led her off in the direction that Jeno was taking them. Jaemin quickly caught Henry eyeing a golden vase rather suspiciously and grabbed him by the back of the shirt to drag him along with the rest of them. Tara turned into a very large living room which had comfortable chairs and sofas positioned in the center of it. A wide, golden and cream mat had been spread across the floor - covering nearly all of it - and there were flower pots with tall plants standing around the room. The cream curtains were still parted to allow the darkness of the night to peer in, but the lamps lit the room up in a warm glow.

Tara was just about to enter it when a fat, snorting pig waddled towards her. She gasped and leapt back, clinging onto Mark as though for her very life, and watched the pink pig toddle through the doorway and off across the hallway into the other room.

Jaemin walked around her and chuckled "Jeno likes his animals."

"Really?" Tara subconsciously breathed out.

She finally tore her eyes away from the doorway that the pig had gone through and entered the living room with everyone else. Jaemin sat himself down on one of the comfortable chairs, and Henry happily joined him. Tara sat down in a small arm chair and Mark seated himself next to Henry. Jeno arrived shortly with a stack of five short glasses and a bottle of alcohol.

"Drinks anyone?" He sighed; Tara couldn't help but feel as though he didn't really want to give Jaemin this much hospitality.

The three boys leant forwards in their seats and nodded in response. Tara, however, held her hands up and smiled politely.

"Oh, no, I don't drink. Thank you." She sheepishly declined.

Jeno shrugged "Fair 'enough."

He set the other glasses down on the table and filled them up half-way with what seemed to be Courvoisier. And from where Tara was sitting, it smelt like it too. He set the bottle down and then handed Jaemin, Henry and Mark their drinks.

"Well, whass' it that I can do for you gentlemen?" Jeno asked.

"Ahem." Tara coughed.

Jeno smiled apologetically over at her and raised his drink "N' ladies, of course. Can't forget the beautiful lady, can we now."

Tara returned the smile and set her hands neatly in her lap in satisfaction. Jaemin rolled his eyes, took a large sip from his drink, and shuffled to the edge of his seat determinedly. He wanted to get straight to the point.

"I need your help." He explained.

Jeno raised his eyebrows and sat down "Do you mean the kind of 'help where I 'help you n' then get my propert'y destroyed afterwards, or the one where I 'help you n' then possibly die afterwards?"

Mark gave a short snort, "Both."

 Jaemin grunted and nudged him hard in the side so that he spilt his drink all down the front of him. Tara rolled her eyes and, resting her elbow on the arm of the chair, turned her head away and held it up with the tips of her fingers. She was then quite startled to see two white ducks waddle past...

Mark muttered angrily under his breath as he sat his drink on the table and began wiping his shirt with his hands. Henry was stifling a chuckle. Jaemin cleared his throat and smiled convincingly at Jeno.

"I assure you, old buddy, that neither of those are an option." He tried to charm him.

Jeno took a slow sip from his glass "Oh really?... Where's your' proof? What evidence can you show me that proves I won't get my 'mad or my 'house blown up, eh?"

Jaemin looked over at Tara and cleared his throat. However, Tara was now far too distracted by the disturbing Tarantula that was being kept in a glass case over on the side-counter at the back of the room; she could feel her skin beginning to crawl. Jaemin rolled his eyes and picked up a small pebble from the decorative glass bowel on the table and threw it into her lap. She gasped in fright and threw her hands up in disgust.

"Oh-my-god-what-is-it?!" She gasped all in one.

Mark couldn't hold it in any longer and let his light laughter out. Tara narrowed her eyes and picked up the stone in between her fingers, and then threw it back at Jaemin without warning; it just skidded past his ear.

"Jesus, honey, what's your problem?!" Jaemin snarled.

Tara glared at him "You threw it at me, first."

"Yeah, in your lap!" He barked "Now, gimme' the red bag will ya??"

Tara rolled her eyes and pulled out the small pouch from under Jaemin's large coat that she was still wearing. She carefully slid it across the table to him, where he picked it up and ped the top. Jeno was watching eagerly, now.

"How's this for your sweet, safe proof?" Jaemin asked and pulled out two collections of money.

Jeno's eyes lit up with desire.

Jaemin nodded and threw them to him, and he caught it without delay. It was obviously going to work out as they had hoped. Jeno flicked the money from the first single note to the very last with the other four watching him. He started chuckling and looked up with a grin.

"You've convinced me." He announced.

Jaemin nodded "And there's plenty more where that came from."

Jeno raised his eyebrows "Whatta' you need?"

Jaemin leant back in success, "You need to fly us to Feimike in Turkey, either tonight, or tomorrow morning."

Jeno rubbed the back of his head with a sore sigh "Can't do tonight, my friend. I'm expecting' n' old friend for drinks n' story-swaps. I do love the old chit-chat."

"Fine. Then we'll stay here tonight" Jaemin basically ordered "We'll be out of your way, resting, I promise."

Jeno narrowed his eyes challengingly at Jaemin. It wasn't long before he lost, though. Tara blinked rapidly at Jaemin and sat up straight.

"W-- you mean here?" She whispered "With all these..."- her eyes darted over to the spider, "Pets?"

 Jeno laughed, "Don't worry, lovely, my guest rooms are animal-proof, I promise you'."

Tara took a deep breath in, shrugging her shoulders up, and forced a small smile out as she released it. It wasn't as though she didn't like animals, because she did. In fact, she was a huge animal lover.. but she just couldn't feel safe knowing that there were things such as huge spiders living so near to her. It was the insects she couldn't do. And pigs, living in a house... it wasn't really hygienic, now, was it.

Jeno tucked the two masses of money down the front of his jacket and sniffed loudly before standing to his feet. He clapped his hands together, making Henry and Mark jump slightly, and nodded.

"Right', I'll show ya to your rooms, then. Come on." He announced.

With that, he walked past the table and through the sofas where the others were seated. Tara's eyes met with Jaemin's and he gave her a reassuring smile at the sight of the nervous look on her face. He stood up and walked away in the direction that Jeno went. Tara stood up with a bemused eyebrow lifted: was Jaemin just genuine towards her?

"Bloody hell, I didn't even get to finish my drink." Mark grunted.

Henry sighed and patted his shoulder "I feel your pain, old boy."

Tara rolled her eyes at the two of them and hurried along out into the hallway. Were they ever going to grow up?... Probably not.

Tara followed Jeno and Jaemin up the long, white staircase, and it wasn't long before she reached the top. Releasing a gentle sigh, and glanced behind her, and saw Henry and Mark literally dragging each other up with a grunt or groan at each step.

They weren't far off, however.

Tara shook her head with a hidden smirk and turned back around. At once, a gurgling goat came trotting down the hall to her right and almost skidded straight into her. She squeaked and slid to the side so that it missed her by an inch, and stood in a frozen shock whilst watching it head down the stairs.

Unfortunately for Henry and Mark, the goat obviously didn't know how to mane

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter