Eight

Sands Of Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The pattering of the rain echoed hypnotically upon the roof and windows of the car. Tara laid in the back, stretched out upon the seats, with one knee up and the other flat beside it, and one arm sticking up against the back of the seats on her right with her hand flopped over at the stump of her wrist, and her other resting upon her stomach. Her head was turned neatly to one side and all of her auburn, wild curls were resting around her tired, pale face.

It had been four hours since Mark and Henry had left her there.

The music from the club burst out through the doorway as a group of people came stumbling out, as drunk as anything and laughing their heads off. Tara stirred softly in her sleep and turned her head to the other side.

Five minutes after the nocturnal group staggered up the road with each other in the pouring rain, leaving the club far behind, the door opened once more to let out the sound of the boogie music that was blasting loudly. Out came three men, two, staggering left and right with cheesy smiles across their faces, who Tara would have immediately recognized if she were awake, but the third one, a complete stranger to her. They trudged through the rain and over to the car whilst all talking at once with large hand movements and split up when they reached it.

Henry went to move around to the driver's side, but their new friend grabbed him by his shirt and pulled him back "Mark, if you want tp drink and drive, then go ahead, but not while I'm in the car."

Mark threw his hands up "Whey! Come now, Jaemin, I'm"- He hiccupped softly "Perfectly s-stable."

Jaemin rolled his eyes "Sure you are."

He pushed Mark away and watched him stumble round to the front passenger door. Henry was standing on his right, at the back door, and seemed to be having some difficulty in opening it.

"Holy tomatoes! Mark - your car's broken." He slurred stupidly.

Mark screwed his face up in annoyance and tried to open his door ", I think you're right, Henry."

Jaemin gave a small pull on his handle, with one hand tucked in his trouser pockets, and snickered "They're locked."

Henry let go of his handle and then huffed loudly "Oh, honestly..."

He and Mark leant in towards their windows and, placing their hands flat across their foreheads to block the bright lights of the City out, peered inside. Mark accidentally smacked his nose against the window and burst into laughter with Henry; Jaemin just rolled his eyes. Once Mark and Henry stopped laughing and looked back into the window, they spotted Tara asleep in the back and grunted in annoyance and began knocking on the windows. However, once Jaemin suddenly realized that there was a girl in the back, he just stood there and observed her curiously. From where he was standing, she looked very attractive... although, the fact that she had only one boot was a bit of a turn-off.

"Tara! S-snooky poooodles!" Mark sang and knocked on the window loudly.

Tara did no more than take a deep breath in and lift her other knee up to join her right one. Mark leant up and looked over at Henry irritably.

"Great." He snapped.

"You've been here for four hours now - no wonder she's asleep." Jaemin called over to them in amusement at their naïve ways.

Mark ran a hand over his soaking hair "Don't get cheeky Jaemin. If you'd have"- Mark paused for a hiccup and then continued "just come when we asked you to, then we wouldn't be in this stittuation."

Jaemin shook his head "If I knew you had an injured girl in the car, I would've come sooner... And I think you mean 'situation'."

Mark's lips turned into a thin, long line of ridicule and anger and he looked back down at the back window where Henry stood. He growled and suddenly slammed both palms of his soaking hands down onto the rainy window as hard as he could.

"WAKE UP!!" He roared.

Tara awoke from her peaceful sleep with a startled scream and leapt up into a sitting position. Unfortunately, thanks to her being half-asleep at that point, she knocked her weak ankle against the back of the driver's chair and let out a howl of agony, clutching it in pain. She fell back down onto the seat with new tears forming in her eyes as she cradled her ankle in a fetus position. Mark slapped his hand to his mouth and leant away from the window in worry and guilt, but when he turned his head to look over at Henry, the two of them snorted loudly and had to squeeze their lips to stop themselves from laughing. But Jaemin did nothing at all, except for just stare at the two of them with a displeased, raised eyebrow. He couldn't believe just how stupid his best friend was... and not to mention his new friend, Henry.

"For crying out loud!!" Tara cried.

After the pain had subsided, she slowly sat herself up and pulled up the locks on each of the doors - careful not to put any pressure on her throbbing foot. Instead of just two doors opening, however, all of them opened and three men got in. But Tara was so wrapped up in her pain and anger that she hardly noticed the new guest in the driver's seat.

"If you tell me to lock the doors and then disappear for four hours, leaving me alone in the company of nothing but the rain, don't expect me not to fall asleep"-

 

Henry sighed "Here comes the vocalbruary attack..." He said, meaning 'vocabulary' of course.

"You insensate, unceremonious, parsimonious, nonsensical, presumptuous, temerarious BAFFOONS!" She cried, and broke out into loud, heavy breaths afterwards as she fell back in her seat.

Jaemin, with an entertained smirk across his wet face, turned around in his seat to look at Tara "Is that anyway to greet the man of your dreams?..."

Tara froze in her seat at the sight of the unknown newcomer and observed him silently. He looked only a year older then Tara, perhaps nineteen or twenty. Seeing as his hair was wet - sticking to his forehead quite appealingly - Tara assumed that his hair was, when dry, a dark blue and in a messy hairstyle so that his fringe was pushed from side to side a lot. He had stunning deep chocolate brown eyes and his body looked very well-built. He had a slim, bony nose and a sharp jaw line, just like his father... but something about him... something reminded him terribly of his mother. But what? Was it his lips? Cheeks? Forehead? Ears?... It could have been all of them, for all Tara knew, but she felt as though it was something in particular...

The man soon turned back round in his seat, leaving Tara to stare at him in embarrassment form behind, and he chuckled under his breath. He just couldn't get over how something that seemed so sweet and innocent could explode into something... well, not sweet and innocent! And with such classy words, as well.

"Temerarious... That's a new one." He muttered loud enough for her to hear.

Tara's mouth and opened and closed in her struggle to get her words out, but nothing was sounded apart from a few staggered consonants. Jaemin turned the key in its keyhole and started the engine up.

"Yes, I'm driving. Yes, they're drunk. And no, I've got no idea what's going on so someone needs to explain - preferably the you, seeing as you're the only one who can actually get their words out properly." He sighed back to her whilst pulling on the gear stick.

"Her name, mister, is Tara." Henry spoke out protectively for no reason.

Tara furrowed her eyebrows in disgust and looked over at her brother "You're drunk...?"

She leant in and sniffed him softly; the strong stench of liquor wafted up her nostrils and she leant back with a few blinks of her eyes. Henry made a sound like

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter