Four

Sands Of Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The explosion was deafening and, even though Tara was covered protectively by Henry, she could feel the heat wave through the air around them. Tara remained in a tight, frightened ball until she felt her brother move off of her and she knew it was safe to get up. The two of them rose up onto their knees and peeked over the top of the table; the room was completely blistered and devastated. Small patches of fire flickered around the room upon the floor and some books, and the wallpaper was peeling off from the walls. Tara looked over at her brother and saw a cut across his forehead, and blood rolling down towards his nose.

"Oh, Henry, you're hurt." She whispered in fear.

Henry blinked and pressed his fingers to his forehead. He winced and brought them back quickly to see a lot of blood. He swallowed at the feel of nausea and his eyes became rather glazed over.

"Oh... woops." He muttered.

Once the humming of the crackling explosion had died down, the sound of a continuous 'beeeeep' came into hearing. Tara furrowed her eyebrows and looked straight ahead, out of the window again. It was Seung-Ho... but he wasn't warning them. Something was pressing against the wheel. And something told Tara that it wasn't his hand.

"Henry- they're here!" She squeaked.

Henry was still terribly overwhelmed by the sight of his blood to answer her. Tara grunted and pushed him over so that he snapped out of it, and she then stood up and ran over to the safe. She took the small red bag and stuffed as much money inside of it as she could, making sure to add in the necklace afterwards.

"Wh-wh-what're you doin', Tara?" Henry stuttered nervously.

"What does it look like, Henry? I'm getting some money for our escape." She replied breathlessly.

She zipped the bag up so that nothing could fall out and slammed the safe door afterwards. Henry staggered up onto his feet and frowned longingly at the safe.

"You left so much money." He whined.

Tara walked over to the window behind Henry "We don't need it all."

"Well, at least tell me the code!" He exclaimed.

A loud smash called up from downstairs and Tara looked round at the open door with a frightened gasp; they were in the house. Tara quickly pulled the latch across from the window and lifted it up to stick her head out. Directly below was a large, white-pebbled parking area... but it was at least twenty feet down. Tara sighed stressfully and looked left and right out of the window for some kind of solution; the drain pipe. She smiled hopefully and moved back from the window to look round at her brother.

"Ready Henry?" She asked.

Henry blinked, "For what?"

She tucked the bag full of money down the back of her trousers and then slipped one leg out the window to place her foot on the ledge "You like climbing, right?"

"No!" He hissed worriedly.

"Well... you're about to." She sighed in concentration.

She brought her other leg over so that she was sitting on the window ledge and then, moving her head underneath the window frame, stood up. Henry poked his head out of the window once Tara had shuffled out of view and watched her turn around to meet the drain pipe.

"Tara - you're gonna' kill yourself!" He snapped.

Tara gripped onto the metal strips that went from one side of the pipe to the other and stuck the front of her boots on top of the ones below her. She then began carefully climbing down it with a bit of difficulty.

"If you stay there, you'll be worse than killed, but tortured" Tara snapped back at her brother "Now stop being a wimp and hurry on earth up!"

A loud, growling voice from downstairs gave Henry the remaining amount of persuasion that he needed, and he was out on the window ledge within the blink of an eye. Henry pressed himself up against the wall and shuffled over towards the pipe with wide eyes and a racing heart; he hated heights. Tara was only half way down now, but she could feel her hands beginning to sweat and lose grip on the metal connections to the wall. Henry stopped next to the pipe and took a deep breath in before, literally, leaping onto it in fear. The pipe gave a low groan of weakness and Tara froze. She looked up at Henry and gasped angrily.

"You were supposed to wait for me to reach the bottom first, you idiot!" She whispered harshly.

"Well thanks for bloody telling me!" He grunted back.

"Quickly, climb down! It's going to give way any minute!" Tara ordered.

"What?! I only just got here woman - I'm not superman!" He growled.

Tara ignored her brother's stubbornness and concentrated on getting her own self safely to the ground. After all, the worst that could happen to either of them was a broken wrist or ankle - at the most. Henry swallowed loudly, and then he heard an angry grunting from just inside the office where they had once been.

"Ok! Coming!" He whispered.

Henry set off down the pipe in a careless, unelegant manner that was definitely not quiet. Tara looked up at him anxiously, and saw three heads poke out of the window; they were all dressed in black, just like the men from before.

"Hurry, Henry!" Tara shouted "They're right"- Tara paused and clung to the drain pipe with fear as it gave another groan.

One after the other, the men climbed out onto the balcony and started easing their way towards the top of the drain pipe. Henry was now hanging onto the pipe like a little child would its mother, and Tara was dangling ten feet above the ground. The first man in black came to a stop next to the drain pipe, and as soon as he placed his foot down upon its metal strap, the pipe started breaking away from the wall from the top to the bottom. Henry let out a wild yell and dropped down from the drain pipe, landing upon the floor with a loud thud.

"Henry!" Tara gasped, just before she too was thrown from the pipe and fell down to the ground in a painful crush.

If it were up to Henry and Tara, they would have remained in those positions to wait for their agony to pass, but the pipe broke completely away from the wall and they were forced to roll out of the way just before it smashed into the ground. Tara, now on her front, coughed loudly from the white, powdered dust that was floating around her in a mist and pushed herself up onto all four

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter