Three

Sands Of Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The journey  was quicker than they had expected it to be. Their taxi driver really knew his stuff! Tara leant across the taxi to stare out of Henry's window once the car had pulled up outside of the Luxury Estate. All the lights were on, and their father's Silver Porsche was parked in the drive.

"Good. He's home." Tara whispered.

"Do you think we could've been followed here?" Henry whispered.

Tara leant back in her seat and looked around, out of all the windows of the car "I doubt it. We would know by now, if we had."

"Erm... why are we all whispering' now?" The taxi driver whispered and turned to look at the two of them.

Tara and Henry looked to the taxi driver in surprise and observed him. He was wearing a grey granddad-hat with a brown shirt over a white one, and as for the second half, they couldn't see. But he looked around 40 and had messy black hair with dark brown eyes and a scar down the right side of his neck.

"I'm Seung-Ho. Nice to meet you' on this fine, adventurous night'." He said and reached his hand over his seat.

Tara smiled uncoordinatedly and shook his hand, and then Henry did the same. After that, Seung-Ho brought his hand back and leant down to peer out the window on the left side of his taxi to observe the estate.

He whistled with impress and then chuckled, "Holy ."

Tara looked over at Henry and nudged him, "Pay the man - I mean, Seung-Ho." She corrected herself.

Henry blinked in apprehension, "Pay? I haven't got any money."

Tara froze angrily, "What??"

"What's this? You've got no money?" The taxi driver spoke out.

Tara closed her eyes in annoyance and then released a breathless, nervous chuckle. She looked over at the driver and smiled prettily for him.

"If you could just wait here, I'll bring you the money. But it's inside the house, so I'll have to go and collect it." She sweetly told him.

He smiled at her pretty pout and nodded "Right, sure I'll be waiting'."

Tara smiled gratefully and then looked over at Henry for him to open the door. He did so, and they both climbed out into the chilly night to stare up at the massive Estate.

"I'll give you' ten minutes." The driver called out the window.

Henry waved to him in agreement and then set off towards the gates. Tara walked up to them and gently pushed against them both with her palms, and with a little buzz and a click, they began opening inwards. Henry snickered and watched them moving backwards in amusement.

"So much for security." He teased.

Tara slipped through the gates when there was a big enough gap, "It's a bluff, Henry. Gates are there for a purpose - no one would expect them to open so easily."

Henry slipped through after her and chuckled "Sneaky bastards."

"Language, Henry." She sighed irritably.

"Hey, I can swear. I'm a grown man." He cockily said.

Tara looked around warily "Of course you are, Henry..." She breathed out, carelessly, her mind elsewhere.

Henry stopped walking for a second and glared at her from behind. Tara realized and, with a roll of her eyes, she trotted up the stone steps that led to the front porch which was glowing from the oil-lamps that were burning on the wall either side of the grand, marble doors. She a curl behind her ear and went to knock on the door, and as soon as her knuckle came into contact with the marble, the door creaked open; someone had left it open. Tara stood in a tense silence, her fist still in the air and her eyes now very sharp and alarmed.

Why would her father have left the door open?...

Henry soon jogged up behind her "Hey, miss cocky, are you going in or"- He cut himself off when he saw the door was open "Oh, gentlemen first now is it?"

Henry went to walk in, but Tara grabbed him by his jacket and pulled him back "Don't be so naïve, Henry. The door was open before I knocked."

Henry looked away from Tara's startled eyes and into the entrance hall of the house. The door was now wide open, and they could see inside the hall. Tara's eyes widened at the sight of a smashed vase that once stood on the table, lying next to it, in the middle of the room.

"Ok... that's not a sign of security or safety." Henry whispered.

However, apart from the broken vase and the already open front door, everything seemed normal. 

Tara swallowed down her nerves and went to take a step forwards. Henry looked back and forth from her and the hallway in a panic and grabbed onto her arm as she went to let go of him.

"What - are you mad? Do 'you wanna' get killed??" He whispered angrily.

Tara ripped her arm out of his grip "Dad's in there." She whispered back.

Henry placed his hands on top of his head stressfully and watched his little sister tiptoe into the white, marble entrance hall. Tara's heart was pounding in her chest, so loudly that she could hear it in her ears. She walked all the way to the center of the hall where the shattered vase lay next to the knocked over table and then looked down the hallways on her left and right. They were pitch black, and chills ran up her spine as she narrowed her eyes observantly. Feeling the way she did, Tara decided to focus on the upstairs where her father's bedroom and office lived.

"Tara!" Henry hissed desperately as Tara moved over to the bottom of the stairs.

Tara looked over at him "If you're not coming, stand there and shut up will you?" She snapped before turning back round.

Henry rolled his eyes at the situation he was in; yes, he was bloody scared, but he couldn't leave his sister to wander around the house on her own! Sighing nervously, he stepped over the threshold and walked across the hall whilst humming a tune under his breath to distract himself. Tara was already half way up the steps by the time he had reached the bottom one, and her eyes were locked upon the door to her father's office - it was open ajar, and she could see the dim light glowing from inside of the room.

"Daddy..." Tara gasped worriedly.

She took off into a desperate, distressed run up the remaining steps for fear that her father was hurt. Henry looked up and at seeing her running away, he also set out into a fast jog up the stairs after her.

"Tara!" He hissed fiercely.

But Tara refused to listen to him. She reached the second floor and sped round the corner and along the hall to get to her father's office. He was always in there.  Collecting information. Debating with discoveries. Being a archeologist - it's what he loved doing best. Tara came to a breathless halt outside his room and panted heavily whilst staring at the glowing gap in the door. If she opened it and those men in black were inside, what exactly did she plan on doing? 

"No, Tara - don't!" Henry snapped as he reached the top of the stairs.

Tara placed her hand against the door and, hesitating for a second to swallow down her f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter