Eleven

Sands Of Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Tara was drifting happily through a field full of white and pink flowers, the warm wind dancing around her and the sun beaming down upon her ivory skin. She didn't know where she was, or why she was there, but she knew that she was feeling happy. Like she had never felt in a long time. Sweetness filled her nostrils and her veins were rushing with spirit. As she walked across the field with a royal elegance, an orange smudge caught her attention out of the corner of her eye. Turning, her eyes fell upon a fox cub sitting quietly amongst the flowers with its head curiously tiled to one side.

Tara smiled and bent down to the fox's level "Well, hello there..." She giggled "What are you doing out here all alone?"

The fox cub blinked and then let out a sudden, deep yell which sounded very much like a chorus of shouts, in fact. Tara squeaked in fright and fell back onto her bottom in the flowers. She quickly sat up and looked over at the fox, highly confused and stunned.

"Holy....I'm never drinking again!..." It groaned painfully.

Tara blinked rapidly "W-w-what??"

The fox vanished in a puff off smoke, and the world around Tara faded away into non-existence. As Tara felt herself falling, she went through a doorway of unconsciousness and entered a realm of waking. Her eyes cracked open and she found herself staring up at a ceiling, and could feel the foundation of cushioned bed beneath her.

"You make giving up drinking seem so easy, Mark - you've done it so many times." The familiar voice of Jaemin sarcastically sighed.

"Proud of it." He grunted.

Tara took a deep, exhausted breath in and pushed herself up into a sitting position. Lazily brushing her curls back, she looked around the room; Henry and Mark were sitting on opposite sides of the bed with their backs to each other (they seemed to look very agitated and kept shooting each other awkward glances over their shoulders) and Jaemin was walking across the room with two glasses filled with murky-green liquid. Tara rubbed her eyes clean and shifted herself so that her feet moved own onto the ground.

"Drink this up." Jaemin said as he handed Henry and Mark their drinks.

Henry took the glass with a scrunched up face of disgust, and Mark sniffed it cautiously. Tara tucked some curls behind her ear and looked around worriedly for the particular something that triggered her memory so abruptly. She found the red bag lying just next to her, obviously where she had left it, and brought it onto her lap protectively.

"What is this stuff?" Henry heaved after taking in a waft of the substance in his glass.

"It'll help with your headache." Jaemin lied.

Henry glanced around at Mark again "I don't think it's the headache I need curing." He gave a disgusting shiver and looked back down at his drink.

"It's my damn ego..." Mark sighed before glugging down the liquid with a scrunched up face.

Tara assumed that the two of them were referring to the fact that they had woken up in each other's arms. She took another heavy breath in and then lifted her hands high in the air to give a mighty stretch.

"Do you want a coffee? Or a tea? Something refreshing?" Jaemin asked Tara.

Tara lowered her hands, shaking her head, smiling weakly "No, thank you."

Jaemin walked back into the kitchen "That's a good thing, because I haven't got anything like that."

Tara narrowed her eyes in offence and folded her arms across her chest stubbornly. She couldn't believe how purposely rude and challenging he was. She tore her eyes away from him and looked over at Mark and Henry just as they finished the last drops of the concoction in their hands; they ripped their empty glasses from their lips and bowed their heads down to their knees, making disgusted groaning and coughing sounds. Tara scrunched her nose in a sympathetic disfavor and looked away from the two of them with a light shiver.

"There you are you fat fluff-ball." Jaemin sighed from the kitchen.

Tara looked over out of curiosity and saw a Siamese cat walking up and down on the kitchen counter in front of Jaemin. Its tail was flicking excitedly and it was watching Jaemin with affectionate eyes. It had a smear of dirt down its chest and, as Jaemin had said, it really was a rather fat cat. Its stomach was sinking down so that it almost touched the counter surface beneath it. Tara automatically smiled at the sight of such a cute animal, and watched Jaemin break out a tin of cat food and empty some of the brown sludge into a bowel for it. The cat meowed over and over and leapt from the counter, to the chair, then onto the floor and trotted along behind Jaemin as he walked back into the living room.

"There you go." He sighed and placed it on the floor near the table before Tara.

Tara watched the cat dig into its food and frowned softly. It was eating as though it hadn't eaten in weeks. Femi narrowed her eyes in slight suspicion and looked up at Jaemin, who blinked in surprise.

"Why are you lookin' at me like I just murdered someone?" He asked.

"I have a cat of my own, and I know a hungry one when I see one. Are you feeding your cat as often as you should?" She asked snappishly.

Jaemin folded his arms across his chest and a sour expression appeared on his face "Miss, does that cat look like it's suffering from any kind of malnutrition?..."

Tara looked back down at the cat and observed the large flabs of fat that were now sticking out over the tops of its thighs. Jaemin smirked and shook his head.

"Baby here never stops eating!" He sighed, and walked away.

Tara blinked and scrunched her nose "Why would you call your cat Baby?"

"He didn't. It hasn't even got a bloody name, the poor little cat." Mark said from the bed.

Henry shook his head in sympathy "Dying without a name, jeez."

"Don't talk like that, Henry" Tara snapped in offence "That cat's far from dead."

Henry snickered and shook his head, pointing at the cat "It won't be for much longer, weighing that much. Heart attacks are prone to over weight cats."

Tara rolled her eyes in disgust and looked back down at the cat "Oh do be quiet. He's not that big... And I'm going to name him...Haechan."

Jaemin looked around at Tara, "You're naming my cat?"

Tara looked over at him with a proud, stubborn expression on her face "Well, if you don't have the courtesy to do so, then someone has to. Besides, cats deserve the most highest respect... Did you know that they were worshiped as protectors against all evil by the Ancient Egyptians?"

Mark and Jaemin exchanged slightly amused, yet also exhausted, expressions and Jaemin nodded softly "Yeah... I heard something like that."

"Why'd you think he's got one..." Mark muttered, and Jaemin coughed loudly to hide it.

Tara looked back and forth from the two of them in both confusion and dubiety. Had she missed something?

Jaemin cleared his throat softly and ran his hand over his head to smoothen his messy hair down - although it made no difference whatsoever. He made his way back across the room and sat himself in the chair on the other side of the low coffee table before Tara. She raised an eyebrow and leant back in her seat as though it would help her escape from his intense gaze.

"What?" She asked.

He looked over at Henry and Mark and then back at Tara. He was thinking about something. But what? Tara waited patiently and shot her brother a look of worriment. Henry, however, was still trying to get over the obviously vile taste of the substance he had just drunk.

"We need to make a plan." Jaemin finally spoke out.

Tara looked back over at him and blinked "A pla

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter