Six

Sands Of Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Back in the ancient Egyptian times, or whatever," HyunJae began and received an offended 'tsk' from MiYeon, "The Pharaoh's mistress, Anuk-Su-Namun, was forbidden to let any other man even touch her - so you can just imagine what happened when he caught her and his high priest, Imhotep, gettin' it on with each other."

MiYeon threw her hands up in the air and leant back in her chair, "Oh, HyunJae, you make it sound so... so..."-

"American?" Mark finished for her.

"Exactly." She sighed.

HyunJae rolled his eyes and continued, "Imhotep, however, killed the Pharaoh the moment that he discovered the truth. In order to save Imhotep from the punishment, Anuk-Su-Namun told him to run and then she killed herself. Imhotep was caught anyhow, soon after"-

Mark snickered, "Damn right. You try sleeping with the Pharaoh's girl - honestly."

"Any more interruptions?" HyunJae snapped at him.

Mark looked rather taken back and shook his head, "No -- no..."

HyunJae sighed impatiently, "Anyhow - so, they caught Imhotep and mummified him alive, and then they put him in a tomb with scarabs."

Tara scrunched her nose in distaste, "How awful."

"Yeah, sick huh," He replied, still pacing, "Anuk-Su-Namun had all of her seven main organs put into these sacred jars and they were put in the tomb with her sarcophagus... Then three-thousand years later, along come us, and we happen to discover Imhotep's sarcophagus on an exhibition. The other group find the jars in Anuk-Su-Namun's, and take them home..."

Mark snickered, "That is so dumb," He received an aggravated look from HyunJae and held his hands up in defense, "Alright, alright!"

"We tried to warn them but they were relentless on keeping the jars for their own fortune, no matter what the consequences were." HyunJae explained.

"So MiYeon carelessly read from this 'Book of The Dead' - which brings back life, just as 'The Book of The Living' takes life - and brought the Imhotep guy back to life, so he sets out to get Anuk-Su-Namun's organ jars back - killing each guy who has one to restore his own life - until he collects all of them. He then steals MiYeon and tries to bring Anuk-Su-Namun back through her body and soul." He explained.

Tara lowered her hand, and looked over at MiYeon "Oh my."

MiYeon smiled softly, "But then again, I happened to already have adopted a dashing hero just in case I accidentally raised the dead and needed rescuing. HyunJae did exactly that and... well, here I am."

HyunJae smiled in reflection of his heroicness, "We got rid of them both and sent them back to the underworld - little did we expect the same crap to happen all over again, but this time over a Bracelet which would've awakened the Scorpion King who would've called upon a given Army of Anubis - hell dogs - to destroy the world. Basically, without making another long story, the world would have gone through an Apocalypse if we hadn't have gotten that bracelet back into a certain Temple in Egypt by a certain time."

"Oh yes, and then there was the battle between the Scorpion King himself - which... practically brings us straight back to the point of this entire explanation." MiYeon added.

Tara narrowed her eyes in confusion, "... I still don't understand how that has any relevance to the events of tonight and that small red box of father's."

MiYeon turned to look at Tara, "There's a short story behind the Emerald Heart as well..." She explained.

Tara nodded, Ok..."

Tara took a deep breath and listened carefully. She wanted to know every single thing about the object that was causing all this mayhem and danger for her and her family. Why it was so important, and most of all, what it had to do with her father...

"The Emerald Heart was the Pharaoh's gem that sat in his staff. That gem, and that gem only could open up the door to the room in which the Sadem Trah was kept in... which means"--

"The Song of Death." Tara whispered.

HyunJae snorted in sarcasm, "Original name, huh."

MiYeon ignored HyunJae's comment and raised her eyebrows at Tara, "You speak Egyptian."

Tara nodded and smiled weakly, "I have studied the language of the Egyptians ever since my mother... passed away. I have worked in an Egyptian Museum, which has only aided my passion in doing so."

MiYeon eyes twinkled with delight, "You don't say - you know, I"-

HyunJae rolled his eyes and cleared his throat, "Back to the story."

MiYeon blinked rapidly and looked up at HyunJae. He raised his eyebrows knowingly at her and she quickly retreated with a huff. Tara sat patiently and watched the two of them. She could see that this was clearly one of those loving relationships where the couple bickered like an old married couple.

"Where was I?" MiYeon sighed.

"The Book of Death, The Book of Life, and The Song of Death..." Tara repeated unsurely.

HyunJae waved his hand, "Meh, don't let it confuse you."

MiYeon placed her hands in her lap, "Oh yes! Well, the Song of Death was, well, not exactly as it sounds. Yes, it produces a 'song of death', but instead of killing..."--

"It awakes the dead." HyunJae interrupted.

MiYeon shot him in impatient look, "Not so fast, HyunJae. Yes, it awakes the dead, but only to those that were sang to by its partner, the Sadeemeque Trah, when they were laid in their graves. The Sadeemeque Trah - which means the Song of Death-Keeper, as I'm sure you already know Tara - makes sure that the deceased's spirit is bound to the Sadem Trah's voice. Therefore, when the Sadem Trah sings, it is written that is will supposedly call the corpses to arise and obey the one who is beholding it."

"Alright... I think I understand that part..." Tara muttered in concentration.

"The Sadem Trah was kept locked away in a secret chamber in the Pharaoh's palace. He secretly prepared his own Army of Dead just in case t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter