Thirteen

Sands Of Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It took no more than ten minutes for the train to arrive at the station, hissing and pumping grey smoke into the sky through its red chimney. It came to a full stop and whistled loudly so that it echoed along the platform, and all of the waiting passengers walked to the edge of it to load into the train.

Tara stood with Mark and Henry and watched a man with a black top-hat kiss a pretty blonde woman on the cheek as goodbye. She had tears in her eyes but was smiling nevertheless.

"We're at the wrong part of the platform; we need to walk up a bit." The voice of Jaemin interrupted her observing.

She blinked and looked round to see Jaemin walking towards the top of the platform. Henry raised an eyebrow and looked back and forth from him and his sister; he looked just as confused as Tara. For the direction that Jaemin was walking in certainly wasn't towards a part of the train that they hadn't expected to be travelling in.

"First class??" Tara gasped.

Mark chuckled "I told you my brother gets what he wants."

Mark turned away and began walking up the grey platform towards the first class section of the train. Tara and Henry looked to each other with surprised expressions, although Henry looked highly more excited. He took up her hand in his and led her off in the same direction that the other two went.

"This is outrageous!" Tara hissed "Not only did he steal tickets from another"-

"Correction, sweet sister, he did pay for them." Henry interrupted her.

"It makes no difference. Someone else got them first! And first class; they're so valuable!" She exclaimed.

"Keep your voice down, peaches." He sighed.

Tara grunted with annoyance at her brother's words.

Now he was starting to treat her like Jaemin, too! Tara sighed hopelessly and marched on with Henry until they reached a door that Jaemin had just stepped up through, into a compartment labelled '16A'.

Mark climbed in after him, and Henry helped Tara step up into the small room. Tara gasped in awe and circled on the spot whilst admiring it; it was so sweet! The seats, three on each side, were cushioned (patterned in green and grey flowers) and were made from strong pinewood. There were shelves above them to store luggage in, and pretty, painted oil lamps stuck out from the walls on elegant handles.

Tara found it terribly pleasing.

Jaemin rolled his eyes and reached out, grabbing Tara's wrist, and pulled her down into a seat "Stop being so obvious."

Tara snatched her hand out of his grip and snapped her head round in the opposite direction of him as though to say she wasn't speaking to him. Henry slammed the door shut behind him and smiled widely at the room.

"Well, how bloody convenient, aye?" He laughed.

He sat himself down next to Mark, opposite Tara, and rubbed his hands together happily. Tara, sitting right next to the window, stared out onto the platform. There was a man dressed in a grey suit holding the hand of a little girl in a white and yellow dress. They were both smiling, but the little girl looked sadder than he. The man glanced down at the girl and saw that she was on the verge of tears, and so he swooped her up and sat her on his shoulders. The little girl giggled loudly and placed her hands on her fathers head. Tara smiled weakly at the sight; her father often carried her on his shoulders when she was younger. Her mother used to join in and chase them whilst she was still up there. Henry noticed a change of expression in Tara and followed her gaze out of the window.

Once he saw what she was looking at, his face lost any expression and he looked over at Tara meaningfully.

The train sounded out a loud, shrilly whistle and Tara gave a soft jump in her seat. When her eyes locked with Henry's, she knew he was aware of her feelings. She gave him a delicate smile and his own one tugged at the corner of his lips. No matter what happened, Tara knew that she had her brother. Fair enough, he wasn't very mature or responsible, but she knew that he would always look out for her. Just as she would him.

The train engines picked up in volume and with a shuddering jerk forwards, the platform slowly started to glide past the window. Tara sighed dreamily and leant back in her seat to try and relax.

"Well. I guess the adventure's started then," Mark sighed aloud, and lowered his dim eyes to the floor, "Although I can't say I'm all too thrilled about going back to that bloody death trap, Hamunaptra."

Tara tore her eyes away from the window and looked over at Mark, "Death trap?"

Mark moved his eyes onto her and scoffed, "You seriously have no idea where we're going do you?"

Tara raised an eyebrow and looked round at everyone, "...Hamunaptra."

Jaemin watched Tara intensely, "But do you know where...?"

Tara sat in a confused silence and looked back and forth from the two Na's.

Why were they implying that they were heading for a battle field? It was just ancient ruins...

"Hamunaptra isn't just sand and bricks, honey" Jaemin spoke out "I remember that place all too well for my own liking"-

"Ahh yes." Mark snickered frightfully.

"And what I remember of that place, I really don't wanna' repeat just in case I scare you into not wanting to do this." Jaemin teased.

Tara narrowed her eyes softly "It's not just the whole world at our mercy, but our father too. Nothing could stop me wanting to save him."

Jaemin took a deep breath in "Flesh-eating bugs, for starters."

"Then there was the Anubis king himself, with human leg's and arms and the torso and head of a wolf." Mark quivered.

Jaemin leant back in his seat and put his feet up on the seat next to Mark as a footrest. Tara tsk'd in disapproval at his bad manners and Jaemin raised an eyebrow with a sly smile.

"People have to sit there, you know." Tara hinted to him.

"They do clean the seats down. This is first class. And besides, my feet are much worse with my shoes off, trust me." Jaemin confided in her.

"And then our mom was killed, and brought back to life. That was a rough one - remember Jaemin? We thought we'd all lost her, didn't we." Mark spoke out whilst staring at the ceiling in thought.

Jaemin looked away from Tara and shifted uncomfortably in his seat. He crossed his arms over his chest and tilted his head back comfortably.

"It was a long time ago." He muttered and then closed his eyes.

The atmosphere in the small compartment was now heavy and tense. Everyone feared that even moving to adjust their arms to a more comfortable position would activate an unwanted event in the blink of an eye. Tara could tell that, obviously, the memory of his mother almost being taken from him permanently was hard for him, just like it would be for any child. Tara knew how it felt to have lost a mother forever. But... she sensed that it went deeper. There was more to the situation than just an unwanted memory.

Mark, as unnecessarily confident as he was, decided to break the silence by inhaling a large, enthusiastic breath and clapping his hands together "So" He began, "When do the food trolleys start arriving?"

Tara rolled her eyes and leant the side of her head against the window again. The track had risen above the town, and so now the roofs of houses and the busy streets were flashing past Tara below her at a comfortable speed for her to take it all in. The vibration of the train swept through her body and she began to feel rather soothed by it. So much so that her eyelids became awfully heavy all of a sudden and hungry to lower down. And so they did.

But it seemed that Tara wasn't in the mood for sleeping.

Within what seemed to be only a few seconds, she opened her tired eyes again. But what was this? The window was out by the night outside. She too

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter