A Full Conversation

The Promise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaeri's POV

"Uh, Chaeri?" I heard Sehun, making me stop at my tracks. Familiar voice saying unfamiliar words. This is different.
"I'm kind of having trouble with our MEc class. I didn't quite get what Doctor Kim discussed the past few weeks. I'm just wondering if you understood the lessons and maybe you could help me. We could study together for the midterms, if you want." He asked and I just looked at him.

Five sentences. That's more than the usual two. That's three more than the usual. It took me a while to process what he said and once I did, I snapped out of my daze and looked at him who seemed confused whether he asked the right question or not.


"Yeah, I get the lessons." I smiled. "And, sure, I can help you out." I told him and he smiled.
"Thanks, Chaeri." He said then there was this awkward silence that followed.
"So, uh, when would you want to start studying?" I asked and he blinked.
"Oh! Uhm, anytime you're free?" He said and I smiled.
"I'll just go freshen up then we can study after, okay?" I told him and he nodded. I smiled back before heading upstairs and running to my room.

 

"Wow. We legitimately just had our first conversation." I said to myself, feeling suddenly nervous about what just happened.
"And, we obviously have to have more conversations right after dinner." I said, making myself even more nervous.
"Don't overthink, Chae. Think of it as an opportunity for him to tolerate you better and make this living arrangement more bearable. Yeah, smart. That would work." I dumped my things on my chair and went straight to the bathroom to go get washed up and changed for dinner. Once that was done, I scavenged for my phone and called up Kai almost immediately.

 

"Yes, my schnookums?" What?
"Yuck?"
"I'm kidding. What's up, my favorite girl?"
"You already threw me off with 'schnookums'. I forgot what I'm supposed to say." I sighed and he laughed.
"Is it about JMA?"
"No."
"School? Nerd stuff?"
"No?"
"Hm, Sehun? Is it about Sehun?" Yes!
"There we go! He talked to me today." I told him and he started laughing.
"And?"
"It's not normal! He talked to me like it was a full-blown conversation and I'm expected to continue doing so after dinner. I don't know what to do. I mean, it's not like we're going to talk about life and stuff. It's just, I don't know. I shouldn't be overthinking things but I am. Do you get me?"
"No." He laughed. Hnnng.
"Tell me, clearly this time, what's up." He said and I sighed.
"Sehun asked for some help in studying."
"And? Isn't that a way for you and him to be 'friends' or 'talking terms' at the very least?"
"Yeah."
"Then I don't see the problem. Don't tell me he makes you nervous because you're starting to like him?"
"What!? No!"
"Don't be defensive!" He laughed. "Just laying it out there." He said.
"I don't see how you could mess this up if you're just going to tutor him. Just, you know, be yourself. I bet, after all of this tutoring thing, you'll be friends. Trust me. Don't overthink and just do."
"But--"
"No more buts, princess. Just go and do. No more whining. I'll see you tomorrow at school, okay? You can do this. No overthinking. Everything will go well. You won't mess up. You do know this phone call wasn't really necessary. Etcetera."
"You're doing that thing again and it's almost working."
"I know all you need is some little assurance so, yes. I'm doing that thing again. Okay, I'll go hang up now. Go eat some dinner and tutor the heck out of that kid. Good luck, Chae."
"Ka--"

 

"Ugh." I sighed and sat on my bed. I looked at my desk and thought about everything he said. Yeah, I was overthinking and the phone call was really unecessary. He's right. I just needed that little assurance from him to not overthink things. I hate it so much when Jongin was right. Yet, I'm thankful that he is. I stood up from my bed,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter