Of dropped keys and duckpowers

Leave the light on (for me)

Jeongguk stares.

And stares.

His mouth has fallen open the second he spotted Taehyung entering the office.

Kim Taehyung, as in, the dude who always wears super baggy clothes our pajamas to work. Nothing in between. Oh yeah, he knows the talk, knows what they say behind his back. Knows he's throwing off every single person of BT Designs today. Baekhyun's fish face look at the entrance has been confirmation enough.

But this is not about Baekhyun. It's about gauging Jeongguk's reaction.

Taehyung has spent more than an hour getting ready. Fretting about the choice of shoes to the deep red suit, about which shirt to wear, which jewelry, what to do with his hair and makeup. In the end he decided for some of his favorite shoes, black Gucci leather loafers with golden buckle, and a white pinstripe shirt.

And despite wanting to have a well-rounded look, he doesn't know how his co-workers feel about men wearing makeup. So he kept it to a minimum. Only dabbed a little bit of black eyeshadow in the outer corners and faded it out in fitting shades of red. Only a bit, only the essential stuff. Foregoing eyeliner and sparkly gems. Okay, maybe that was a lie. Maybe he did use some eyeliner. But just a teenie-tiny bit, really.

What he couldn't do with makeup, the jewelry had to win. Taehyung switched his earrings a total of five times until settling for a set of golden ones with a big sparkly red gem in the center. You know, statement wear. 

One look at the watch had him toppling over and almost forgetting to put in some hairstyling gel. Almost.

And now here he is. Standing in front of his office door, key in one hand and suit jacket lazily thrown over the other arm because no matter how important it is to wear all three pieces of a three-piece suit, it's more than warm enough already, thank you very much.

Jeongguk next to him was breathing heavily just a second ago - yes, their races for who's first at the office still are very much a thing. Now he seems to not be breathing at all. Is just looking at Taehyung as if he were an alien or something.

Taehyung unlocks the door, then halts and turns around.

"Can I help you?" He raises an eyebrow at the younger.

Watches in satisfaction how Jeongguk's mouth opens just that much wider, eyes almost popping out as he looks Taehyung over from head to toe.

"I-I, err, n-no."

Jeongguk fumbles with his keys and drops them. Twice. Curses under his breath as his now red head snaps back up to Taehyung again and again.

Boy, does it feel good to be looked at that way. Taehyung basks in it. It's been a hot minute.

 

Thorough  the day Jeongguk seems to have a lot he needs to talk about with Taehyung in person. At least once every hour he knocks on the older's door to discuss something. Trivia that really don't need no discussion.

It also seems he finds himself unable to finish a single sentence when he's in the same room as Taehyung. Keeps stuttering through his matters and dropping his gaze, just for his head to snap back up in the next moment. As if he couldn't let a moment of looking at Taehyung go to waste.

And Taehyung, Taehyung drinks it all up. Cherishes how the man who used to be such a pain in his , one of the rudest fellas Taehyung ever encountered, how that same guy is now all flustered.

It is not that difficult to see Jeongguk is absolutely gone for dolled up Taehyung.

It's even more obvious once the other co-workers start to make the same connection. Namjoon is on his sporadic round to check up on everyone, first going to Jeongguk and then to Taehyung.  He's barely through the door when he takes one look at Taehyung and goes "Oh. I see."

Taehyung opens his mouth to ask what's going on but his boss beats him to it.

"I was already wondering what's wrong with poor Jeongguk-ah. But it all makes sense now that I see you. You all good?"

The web developer nods.

"Alright, cool. Also, please take it easy on him, yeah?"

"Uh, sure."

Namjoon gives him a bright dimple-smile. "Great. As you were."

 

Later, Taehyung's and Jeongguk's friends somehow manage to arrive in his office at the exact same time. Taehyung wants to call treason, call plotting and bonding with the other side.

"Oh damn, you were right. He is hot stuff," Yugyeom whisper-yells as greeting.

Baekhyun grins at him. Mingyu looks as if he rather be everywhere else.

"Alright," Minjae says and creeps closer. "So are you finally out to him today?"

"I-I..."

Four pairs of eyes are fixed on him, three eager and one resigned. Taehyung gnaws at his lip.

"But you are at least considering it, right?" It's Baekhyun who pipes up this time. "You're no longer denying there is something going on between you two?"

Taehyung shrugs, slowly shakes his head. What is he supposed to say anyway? It seems everybody knows for whom he dressed up. 

"I guess..."

Minjae cat-whistles and high-fives Baekhyun. Then he turns back to Taehyung with a huge grin.

"So you finally realized you two have been flirting forever?"

"I, err..."

It's Mingyu's cue to smack the back of Yugyeom's head who has been leaning in more and more with each word. Mingyu falters before doing the same thing to the equally loud older men.

"Alright guys, that's enough. Taehyung-ssi clearly has still some more thinking to do, let's leave him be for now."

With that, he drags Yugyeom out on his collar and throws one stern look over his shoulder that has Baekhyun and Minjae trailing after him obediently. Taehyung thanks him with a little smile.

Mingyu is right. He does need to take some time and recap. So Taehyung rushes to get his current work finished and then leans back in his chair. Closes his eyes and mulls over everything he could have missed, all the little signs that just maybe Jeongguk is more interested in him than as a co-worker or friend.

The first and most glaringly obvious thing coming to mind is back when they were on their work trip and Jeongguk snapped at him for being unfairly attractive or something.

Oh god. Taehyung groans and buries the head in his hands. This was a huge ing sign, wasn't it? How did he instantly forget about it?

He thinks some more. One after another, more pops up. The thing is, Taehyung's middle-term memory is ty but his long-term memory works just fine. Which should not be possible if you think about it realistically but it is. That's him. It's probably also the best explanation as to how he managed to miss literally all cues.

Like that one slip-up when Jeongguk (not so) indirectly admitted he wants to Taehyung.

Wow. Wow, Kim Taehyung, was your mind on vacation back then? What the hell?

And wait. Jeongguk never denied it when Taehyung teased that the younger loved him. Never. Not even when he brought it up again during his visit at Jeongguk's. And the other day when he clarified the club invitation thing was not meant as a date, the younger sounded almost disappointed.

Hold up.

Taehyung chokes on his spit.

The way he worded his reaction to soothe the younger... does it mean he ultimately did turn it into a date? Does he have a club date with Jeongguk now? What?!

He grapples for his phone and shoots a quick text to Jimin.

 

To: Jimbles

I think I accidentally got a date??? HELP

 

It takes exactly eight seconds for Jimin to call him.

"Dude, what the , you better start explaining right now!" Jimin sounds nervous and out of breath. Kinda like Taehyung feels just now.

"Alright, so, uhm. Remember I kinda asked Jeongguk to go to a club together so he sees how I look when I dress up-"

"I CERTAINLY DON'T REMEMBER THAT PART, !"

Taehyung gulps. Oops.

"Uh, yeah so anyway that happened. But afterwards I panicked and called him and said it's not a date but then he sounded so defeated and sad and small, as if I could fit him in my pockets you know? And so I panicked some more and wanted to make it better so I said something like 'well at least not initially'. And then he seemed to be better and we ended the call and. Jiminie, did I ask him out back there? What do I do?"

There is a long, long silence following. That itself never is a good sign when it comes to Jimin. Nine out of ten cases he's about to explode and it's not gonna be funny. . Taehyung should've told him sooner.

"Kim Taehyung." Jimin's voice is deadly calm. "Are you honestly telling me this now? After how many days? Are you for real?"

"Uh, so-sorry..."

"It's too late for sorries." Uh-oh. Jimin's seething now. Yeah, the thing with short people and their temper is very true in his case. Taehyung would know. "Listen, you little traitor. I'm only saying this once. You got yourself a date with him, it's your problem it was not intended. It's a thing now. And you're gonna give it your ing all to make up for all your stupidity that poor boy had to suffer. Are we clear."

Taehyung nods frantically, forgets Jimin can't see.

"Taehyung, are we clear."

"Yes, yes yes! Very clear."

He's spluttering out some more apologies before Jimin has to hang up and Taehyung remembers he has a job to do himself.

 

During lunch time he refuses the offer of going with his buddies for the first time. He needs the time for himself today. Has procrastinated on thinking for way too long, it seems.

More and more things pop up as he sits with his lonesome self and mulls over all of his past interactions with Jeongguk. In fact Taehyung's so focussed he barely notices he finished half of his meal and has been staring into blank space for the last ten minutes. But it's as if a gate has been opened. He can't ignore all the little things anymore. The way Jeongguk's been caring for him since a while now.

And he realizes it didn't start with the apple, the impromptu gift Jeongguk made him. He's been watching over him a lot longer. Stayed behind when he didn't have to, so they could go home together after light out. Voiced his concern for Taehyung's workaholic tendencies. Maybe not in a nice way, but caring nonetheless.

And didn't it only become more and more from then on? The competition-turned gentleman behavior, the whole thing where he took care of Taehyung during his sick leave. Something he absolutely didn't have to do. The way he always paid attention to not order spicy food even back when he didn't know the reason behind it. 

Taehyung feels so ing dumb. As if he's been walking through life blind.

It's been all there, both subtle and outright glaring hints lining his way. How did he never pick up on them, even with so many people around him saying how it is? Telling him how Jeongguk has a crush on him and vice versa?

Because that's what it is. Belatedly Taehyung comes to the realization he's got a properly grown-out crush on the younger.

Had it for a while, probably. With what the little bursts of fondness and endearment whenever Jeongguk does something. The excitement when they are about to do something together. The way he is completely at ease with him alone, be it at their late night dinners - , can all of them actually be classified as dates? Really? - or whenever Jeongguk is visiting him at home.

Oh god. And he's been trying so so hard to convince himself and everybody else all he feels for Jeongguk is annoyance. No wonder Jimin is constantly pissed at him.

"I'm such an idiot," Taehyung groans.

Next to him, someone clears their throat.

"Sir? Sir, would you like that as takeaway or?"

He owlishly blinks up at the waitress.

"Huh?"

 

The following hours at work pass as if in trance. Taehyung is running on autopilot, doesn't even register what his fingers keep hammering on the keyboard.

He's maybe, probably in love with Jeon Jeongguk.

.

And the little devil barely gives him a chance to breathe. Keeps coming back in Taehyung's office to 'discuss work details'.

Bull. Sometimes he's not saying a single thing and just staying there, leaning against the inside of Taehyung's door and looking at him with some kind of pained expression.

And it's not completely unfamiliar. Jeongguk has been staring at him a lot longer than just today. Not to the same extent maybe but every now and then there are instances where he would just silently look at Taehyung.

Clues, clues ing everywhere!

Then afternoon rolls by and Jeongguk lets himself in with a cup of tea for Taehyung.

Taehyung wants to throw himself against a wall.

Just... how?! How did he never-

Jeongguk literally never brings anything for himself. He goes out of his way and makes tea for Taehyung, somehow even managed to figure out his favorite kind without Taehyung ever saying a single word about it and sometimes even stays until Taehyung is finished with his cup.

Who even does that? What kind of person who's not oh so badly trying to impress someone makes tea for their co-workers every single day?

Baekhyun and Minjae have gone crazy about it once he told him. How could Taehyung not take it seriously?

During the whole time of drinking his tea, Taehyung keeps staring at Jeongguk. Studies every minute detail about him as if he were a strange species. It makes the younger twitch under his heavy gaze but he lets Taehyung do his thing. Gives him the time he needs to sort out his lousy mind.

Everything slowly falls together, like a puzzle.

Didn't he discover his possible muscle kink just thanks to Jeongguk?

He wants to pull a Dobby. Wants to grab that desk lamp and bang it against his head for being so damn stupid.

"Hyung? Everything okay?"

Gosh, that sweet, sweet voice. He loves that voice. You big fat idiot, Taehyung!

"Y-yeah, all good," he croaks.

Wow. Smooth.

 

To: Jimbles

I've been such an idiot

 

His phone lights up with a reply.

 

From: Jimbles

Not saying I told you so

But I absolutely told you so

Bro

Now go do something about it

 

 

Somewhen in the evening before Jeongguk can order food, Taehyung knocks him a message.

'Dinner out?'

The reply takes some time. Taehyung considers giving it up when he hears three soft knocks.

Long-short-long.

'K'.

Is he almost pissing himself? Maybe. Will it stop him from taking out Jeongguk to a bar tonight and get some points across? Absolutely not.

 

Roughly five minutes later, Taehyung steals himself out of his office and makes for Baekhyun, hopes he's at the front desk right now.

He's lucky.

Baekhyun spots him as soon as he's around the corner and starts waving enthusiastically, ignoring the customer (?) right in front of him. Okay, awkward. Taehyung glances at the stranger but the woman just rolls her eyes, turns away and pulls out her phone. Alright, gotta make this quick.

"Taehyung-ah, how can I help you? Need any tips?"

"Uh, actually... you wouldn't know a good place to go after work?"

Oop. Okay. There is definitely mischief glinting in Baekhyun's eyes. Taehyung's getting a little concerned. Should he be concerned? 

"Best you go ask Minjae that. Best you'll be on your way right now, catch him asap," Baehyung whisper-yells.

"Alright, will do, thanks."

"No worries. Remember I'm rooting for you guys!" Baekhyun doesn't try to keep his voice down any longer.

Taehyung dashes off and hopes he never sees the probably customer woman ever again.

In Minjae's shared office, he hasn't even finished the sentence before the younger spins around in his office chair with solemn expression.

"I'm glad you asked."

Minjae opens a drawer, fumbles around and retrieves a two-side printed list of nearby locals, including their ratings, website addresses and personal comments. He hands it to Taehyung.

Taehyung is about to think that's a weirdly specific yet practical thing to have at hand. Before he can get the words out however, he turns the paper around to what's presumably the front page. Where it states in big bold letters 'Possible date locations for Kim Taehyung to know' as headline.

He stares at the paper, looks down to where Minjae sits, pointedly stares at the paper again and presses his lips together.

The younger doesn't even twitch.

Taehyung shakes his head, thanks Minjae and makes back for his office. Where he spends the next thirty minutes browsing all the websites of Minjae's totally not suspicious list.

 

Jeongguk is jittery next to him.

He drops his keys twice while trying to lock up. Didn't he drop them twice in the morning too?

In any other situation you can bet Taehyung would tease about it but not tonight. Tonight he's got a severe case of nerves himself. Is more than busy enough with locking up his own office.

Jeongguk mutely follows him down to the parking lot once finished with securing everything for the night - which may or may not almost have triggered the security alert as Jeongguk typed in a wrong code for the lock. Funnily enough that's what gets Taehyung to calm down a bit. If Jeongguk is that nervous, there is nothing wrong with being nervous. It's gonna be fine. Maybe. 

The reason for Taehyung choosing to take the car when the location of his choice is not that far away is only partly because he fears the office parking lot may be closed later (it won't, they've stayed here for dinner until almost hitting the midnight mark twice). More so it's because he wants to take Jeongguk around in his car. Has a feeling Jeongguk likes his good old Acura. Not old-old, but 'old' in the sense of a buddy you like and know well. Like. Okay, yeah. Maybe he wants to show off with his car, and if it's just for ten minutes. Sue him!

Jeongguk thankfully doesn't question it, just gets in on the passenger seat and lets Taehyung take them wherever. Leans back and looks outside, watches Seoul's nightlife flitting past them. At a red light, Taehyung chances a glance at him. He could bet Jeongguk's blushing in the window's reflection. Wonders why, until he remembers. Right. Jeongguk's alone with him, in his car, probably still intimidated by his unusual looks. Okay that's fair. Because this, this is not quite a date but as good as one.

Taehyung takes a deep breath, right hand creeping up to loosen his tie. Nerves, nerves everywhere, he swears. Next to him Jeongguk makes a choked sound but when Taehyung looks at him, the younger is fast to snap his head around and resolutely stare out of the window for the rest of the ride. Taehyung shrugs, lets him be.

He navigates them to a Mexican Restaurant that's - according to Minjae's list - better known for it's bar and various drinks. Anyway they should be able to get their stomachs full and tongues loose.

Taehyung left his tie in the car, just like the suit jacket. Screw jackets. It's too hot for that , even late at night. They're almost at the restaurant's doors, just had to walk a few steps from where he left the car. The whole little walk, Jeongguk's eyes have been on him now, scorching him. Taehyung clears his throat and pops open the first bottom of his shirt. Already feels like he could start itching ever second now. Next to him Jeongguk trips.

They're let in without problem. Even get a nice little, tucked away booth at the back upon Taehyung asking.The place is huge, a lot bigger than most restaurants he knows. But he figures, maybe a good part of the tables get moved out of the way as from a certain time to make space for dancing. There has to be a dance floor involved when more than half of the menu is made of drinks, right?

Jeongguk is still looking around and craning his neck here and there, mumbling a "Wow, I didn't know this place exists" when Taehyung is already immersed in the menu.

Sure enough a waitress approaches only moments later and asks to take their orders. Taehyung goes for a big plate of nachos with cheese and different sauces, thinks it would be a good snack at the side once they start ordering cocktails and whatnot. He's about to order his actual meal but Jeongguk, seemingly taken by surprise and now panicking, blurts out a loud and high-pitched,

"Same as him!"

Taehyung turns to him with raised eyebrows. "Gotta be a whole lot of nachos, you sure?"

Jeongguk splutters. Opens his menu at a random page and blindly taps at something. "I'll take this one, then."

The waitress has to lean all over Jeongguk to make sense of it. "That would be the tacos with hip steak stripes and beans, sir."

"R-Right. That." Jeongguk nods.

Taehyung has to press his lips together to not burst out laughing. Thinks he sounds strained as he adds the chicken with exotic sauce to their order.

The waitress leaves and the two men are alone again. Silence stretches like an oily veil until Taehyung feels it covers everything, seeps into his pores. He swears he never has problems to start conversations and keep them going. Never, except for right now. Now he suddenly scrambles for words and comes up empty-handed. Looks at Jeongguk who stares right back with his dark eyes roaming Taehyung's features and finds his mouth running dry.

"So," Taehyung tries, clears his throat, starts again. Didn't he decide there is no reason to be nervous like five minutes ago? "So, how was your day?"

Jeongguk's eyebrows slowly lift until they disappear beneath dark strands. And then he snorts, breaking all the uncomfortable tension.

"Really? Really now? Out of all the questions you could've asked me?"

"Yah!" Taehyung kicks him under the table. "I'm still your hyung, don't tell me what to do. Rude."

"But it's literally the lamest question ever." Jeongguk's grinning now, ducking out of the way of a smack to his head. That little .

Taehyung huffs and leans back with crossed arms. "Well, what would you rather I asked then, Mister I-know-all?"

The grin slips off the younger's face. He rests both arms on the table and leans in until Taehyung doesn't need to try hard imagining they are breathing the same air. His voice is low, all teasing undertone gone.

"You could've asked me what I think about your outfit, for starters."

And Taehyung wants to make fun of it, wants to say that's an even worse question than the other one. But he can't, finds himself unable to. Seems he doesn't know how to behave well whenever he's around the younger. So all that's left is to follow Jeongguk's lead.

"Well, what do you think?"

Taehyung doesn't like how his voice catches in his throat. Where is his confidence when he needs it, goddammit!

"I think you look absolutely gorgeous."

It takes a moment for Taehyung to register the words. He mutely blinks at Jeongguk, has the sense his mouth is hanging slightly open. He surely wasn't prepared for that brashness.

C'mon, confidence, confidence. Upper hand who?

His mouth stretches into a lazy grin. He tilts his head back a little, lets the fringe fan over his temple in a way he knows looks hot. Has played around with Jimin often enough to know how to work his angles. Perks of having a modeling friend.

"Yeah?"

Jeongguk nods, mouth already opening again when a large plate full of nachos gets shoved between them. 

"Your orders, gentlemen," the waitress says, voice devoid of any emotion. Then she puts down the other plates, asks if someone of them wants a new drink and wishes them to enjoy their meal.

"Th-thanks, you too," Jeongguk blurts. Slaps a hand over his mouth.

The waitress gives him a flat look, says "Thanks," and leaves. Clearly unimpressed by the moment the two of them were having.

Taehyung lets the younger die in peace at the slip-up and watches their waitress approaching another table.

"Alright, dig in, my treat."

Jeongguk doesn't need to be told twice.

They fall into a comfortable groove while eating. Jeongguk's admission that he thinks Taehyung looks gorgeous is still floating around in the elder's head but he shoves it away for now.

This, he thinks, this is how I ignored every single hint for more than two months. But what to do? Now that they're moving comfortably around each other again? And the question whether horsepower or duckpower is a better marketing strategy when selling vehicles sure is interesting. How could Taehyung let it slide?

"Hold up, Imma have to look it up," he interrupts Jeongguk's adorably passionate ramble about the superiority of horses. "Okay, so according to Google, my lad's got 201 hp-"

"What, you don't know something basic as that about your fancy car? Amateur," Jeongguk teases.

"No, I don't, and neither do you." Taehyung's not even looking up from where he's typing away on his phone.

"Yah, you don't know that!"

He gives the younger a look. "I do. Anyway, this website here says 201hp equals roughly 8.445dp. Honestly, everything that's in the thousands sounds more badass than the stuff that's not."

"Who even needs eight thousand duckpowers, huh? Whatcha gonna do with 'em?"

Taehyung rolls his eyes. "Oh, I don't know. Maybe rub it in your face that they are a lot stronger than your horses with their lousy one horsepower?"

"The , why would a horse ever need more than one horsepower? They don't have hp, they are hp."

Taehyung throws a nacho at him.

 

They are through their respective meals, most of the nachos gone and into their second drink when Taehyung remembers. He came here, to a bar-like place, where people go to consume alcohol and let loose, because he wants answers. Right. That happened. So, where to begin.

Taehyung orders another crouching tiger just for the giggles he gets from Jeongguk at the drink's name, then downs it in one go.

Oh, whoaaa. Well hello. Just as deliciously sweet as the first one. Huh, empty already? Nevermind.

"So," Taehyung declares and just maybe slams the shot glass down too loud. "How do you feel about your statement from earlier?"

Jeongguk blinks up at him, mouth wrapped around the straw in his on my face cocktail. Taehyung's gotten hot and cold within a matter of seconds when the younger ordered it. Jeongguk takes another loud gulp, then sits back up.

"You mean the horsepower?"

"No no, way back, way way earlier." Taehyung shakes his head. "Back when you told me to stop looking attractive because it's mean or something."

The flush on Jeongguk's cheeks deepens and he quickly looks away. A-ing-dorable. Also yeah, very smooth, Taehyung. Don't this up now.

"Do you still think so?"

Nailed it.