Of annual flu and flux chandeliers

Leave the light on (for me)

One day after Jimin proclaimed his ridiculous plan for Taehyung to ask out poor Jeongguk, Taehyung is starting to get to the conclusion the universe really doesn't want it to happen. Why? Because it took exactly eight hours and one early-in-the-morning tea for him to realize he caught the annual flu. And hasn't Jeongguk miraculously fallen ill just after Taehyung made the joke of the younger being in love with him?

So yeah, his point stands. The universe doesn't want them to happen . Now if he could just get Jimin convinced of his theory. Of the stupidity of the idea that Taehyung and Jeongguk totally should get together because really? Jeongguk? Out of all people? But Taehyung knows it would be a fruitless attempt so he doesn't even try. He's a grown man, he knows a lost cause when he sees one.

Begrudgingly - no matter how much Baek thinks he knows and is convinced Taehyung is just lazing around all day, Taehyung actually likes his job and works hard to deliver good results, tries to have a spotless attending list too - he phones Namjoon to let him know he'll be out for a couple days.

His boss is nothing short of understanding, tells him he should stay home two days more than he feels the need to, just to make sure he's properly cured. Says they might live in a capitalism-driven world but refuses to make his employees suffer as long as he can help it. 

"Just maybe send some notes of relevant things we need to know for someone else to continue your current projects as soon as you feel up to it. You can access your work hard drive from home, right?"

Taehyung confirms and promises he will do so asap. He's not feeling that bad yet, just really doesn't want to be a virus catapult and jam half of the company.

"Alright, wonderful," Namjoon says with his calm and warm I'm-your-boss-but-also-your-ally voice. "Make sure to take your medicine and rest well then. I expect you back in flawless health only. Should I have Jeongguk phone you later so you can get him up to speed with your ongoing stuff?"

Taehyung blinks. Huh. "Why him specifically?"

"Hm? You seemed to get along really well, so I figured you probably talk about your projects too and he'd already have some insight on your work. Was I wrong to assume so? You do like him though, don't you?"

"Busybody," Taehyung mutters under his breath. Hopes his boss didn't hear.

Judging from the soft chuckle, Namjoon did hear just fine. Crap.

"Alright, get well soon, Taehyung-ssi," the older says while still chuckling.

Taehyung sighs and shakes his head. How are the odds their boss is actively trying to set up Jeongguk and Taehyung? Or is Taehyung getting paranoid now?

True to his word Namjoon must've informed Jeongguk for the younger does call Taehyung at 9am sharp to inquire about ongoing commissions and whatever else he should know.

"So how did you get sick overnight anyway," Jeongguk questions. "You looked healthy as a horse yesterday."

"I do have a theory but you wouldn't believe it and also it's too early in the morning for me to embarrass myself so let's just ignore that question please," Taehyung groans.

By now his throat doesn't just feel dry like sandpaper, it also sounds the part. Taehyung holds his phone away to not loudly cough into it. He might have a tendency to not hold back on coughing and sneezing or any kind of sound really but that doesn't mean he wants to ruin anybody's cochlea.

Once he's done dry-heaving and has the phone back against his ear, he hears Jeongguk tentatively asking if he's alright.

"Yeah yeah, peachy," he rasps. One hand already rummaging through his little medicine cabinet in search for some cough sweets. He finds a bag of green spicy sage lozenge thingies and throws in two. Double amount means double effect, right? "Sorry, you were saying?"

"Nothing much, just that I'll swing by later to let you have a look over what I did on your commissions." 

Jeongguk still sounds a bit off. Does it really trouble him that much to hear Taehyung being sick? Surely that can't be it. Right?

"Okay, time-out," Taehyung exclaims with muffled voice. Maybe throwing in two sweets at once was not the smartest idea after all if it makes talking comprehensibly that hard. "Why would you have me to supervise you and how would you know where I live?"

Because Taehyung doesn't go around and tell people where he lives. Ever. Only his family and closest friends which he can count on one hand (you know, Jimin-level close) know. The district he lives in is for well-suited people only. Like, really well-suited. If he ever so much as hinted to one of his co-workers or not Jimin-level close friends where he lives they soon enough would figure out he's not who he seems to be.

And that just won't do. Taehyung chose his life off the paparazzi' and general public eye's radar for a reason. He likes to have an actual private life. And he wants to keep it that way. Private. So yeah, no, he's not going to just up and tell Jeongguk his address.

"Because you are a perfectionist for one, probably almost as much as me," Jeongguk answers dryly, completely unfazed. "And for the second part... I told you I'm Namjoon-hyung's favorite. That status has to be good for something. I'll figure something out and if I have to ask Baekhyun."

"He doesn't know-"

"Then Minjae. Kid knows a lot more than anyone would think."

"Wow, that's really high coming from you, calling him a kid," Taehyung remarks around his barely shrinking sweets.

"Well you and I both know I'm anything but a child."

"I don't like where this is going."

Jeongguk snorts. "What, you'd rather me implying hyung's doing child labor now or what?"

"...S'pose not."

"Thought so. Alright then, I'm off. Toodles~"

Taehyung stares at his now silent phone.

Did Jeongguk just go 'toodles' on him. What the . That's so 2012.

 

No matter how sick he may be, Taehyung never feels sick enough to not work at all. Stay home and not endanger others, yes. Take it down a notch if absolutely necessary, okay. But quit working for a few days completely? No way.

That's how he finds himself in front of his laptop soon enough, preparing some smaller commissions and working through the details with clients so he can get started for real soon enough. 

He's sitting in his home office, one of the smaller rooms in his apartment. Not that it does look or feel small though. Not on Taehyung's watch.

Thorough the day he kept exchanging mails with Jeongguk and at some point switching to encrypting messages to each other. Sorting out everything his 'perfectionist' self could have issues with. All in hopes Jeongguk comes to the realization he does not need to come visit Taehyung. 

They are on a roll, do a good job together working on one of Taehyung's ongoing commissions. The older is quite honestly surprised just how well they function as a unit.

With yet another cup of tea in both hands he's crouched on the office chair with both legs pulled up and fluffy blanket draped over his shoulders, staring at his laptop. Back turned to the giant window lest he sees exactly how high up he is.

Just when he's about to set down the cup of herbal tea and open another folder, his doorbell rings. It's a pleasant, melodious tune that fills the apartment. One of the perks of living upper-class: you don't have doorbells that annoy the hell out of you.

Taehyung gnaws on his lip as he goes to answer the door. Did he order anything and forget about it? He presses the intercom button, still confused.

"Yes?"

"Pizza delivery," a vaguely familiar voice crackles through the speaker.

Taehyung starts to get uneasy. Could it be...? But surely not. He literally begged Namjoon to not give his address to anybody, ever.

Wait, did he order pizza actually? He's been a bit out of it for a while some hours ago, head feeling as if stuffed with cotton and stringing thoughts together being an effort. Did he order something and just forgot about it? That must be it. Yeah, surely. 

He nods to himself and buzzes the delivery guy in.

And really, he should've seen it coming. Should know better than to underestimate the younger's dedication and stubbornness. Yet he's still surprised once he opens the door and in front of him stands no other than Jeon Jeongguk himself, carrying two pizza boxes.

"Wow, you really do live here," the younger remarks. Eyes round as saucers as he tries to peak into the apartment behind Taehyung's unmoving figure.

Taehyung's still gaping at him.

"Uhm." Color starts creeping up Jeongguk's face. "I mean. Good evening, and stuff. And, yeah so. Uh, dinner?" 

The last word sounds both hopeful and insecure to no end. It's what triggers Taehyung's manners to kick in at last.

"Oh, yeah, right. Come in."

He awkwardly waves Jeongguk inside. When's been the last time he welcomed anyone to his home for the first time? It must've been years.

Jeongguk makes it two steps before faltering and stopping dead.

And Taehyung can't blame him, knows the big flux chandelier hanging from a high ceiling can be intimidating. At least for someone who probably thought Taehyung doesn't make more than 6.000.000 Won each month. But the spacious apartment in one of the most well-situated areas of Seoul, the high ceiling that can easily contain his 3,5 something metres chandelier of gold-capped glass tubes that hang in different height, the marble floor, smart fridge and high-end furniture speak differently.

"So... you are... rich." Jeongguk states it not as a question but a fact, which it obviously is. Sounds kind of numb.

Taehyung nods. Does not offer him a tour. The poor lad is struggling more than enough just taking in Taehyung's living room. And again, he doesn't like people - especially those he knows on a daily basis - coming here.

Jeongguk's still malfunctioning in the hallway a solid two minutes later so after a poorly concealed dry cough from behind the face mask, Taehyung pries the pizza boxes out of his hands and carries them to the couch table. Fetches paper towels and two glasses out of the kitchen.

"What do you want to drink?"

The question snaps Jeongguk out of it at last. "Uh, wa-water, please." 

Taehyung smiles wistfully but follows the younger's wish and fixes himself some water too. He gets his blanket and half-empty tea cup from the office and then checks on Jeongguk once again. The latter is still busy taking in everything he can see, slowly turning on the spot.

"I'm sorry, usually I would offer to take off your cloak and all that but I really don't want you to catch my flu so. Sorry if my good manners game seems a bit off tonight." 

Jeongguk's head snaps back around to him. "Oh, no, no worries, I wasn't planning to stay for long anyway."

"Then why did you get two pizzas?" Taehyung raises an eyebrow.

Jeongguk gulps. "Uhm..."

Taehyung doesn't even try to hide the snicker but it turns into another full-blown coughing fit. Out of the corner of his watering eyes he can see Jeongguk twitch on the spot, as if unsure whether to rush to help or stay as far away as possible.

One hastily thrown in cough drop later Taehyung nods in the general direction of the lounging area. 

"Come on, it's getting cold."

Jeongguk follows him like a lost puppy and gingerly sits down on the very edge of the couch, already looking extremely uncomfortable. Taehyung huddles up on the far end opposite of the younger. Which is not that far away honestly, considering the big couch is semi-circular. But he tries. To keep maximum distance, that is.

He balances the pizza box on his lap and places his tea and water on the board-thingy that's attached to the whole back of the couch behind the back rest. Wonders briefly whether or not to switch on the tv, ultimately decides against it. He doesn't want Jeongguk to feel obligated to stay until the end of whatever show is on.

It's when he lifts the lid does Taehyung notice his nose starts to clog up. He can barely smell the telltale warm pizza scent. Dammit, hopefully he can at least taste some of the pizza.

"Cheers," Taehyung croaks, lifts his glass. 

Jeongguk follows his example with robotic movements.

The first bit of his pizza is a disappointment, Taehyung really has barely any sense of taste left by now. He doesn't try to show it, digs in like there is no tomorrow even though the dough feels like sandpaper going down his pipes. In the meanwhile, Jeongguk is still on his first slice. He looks a bit pale.

"You have questions," Taehyung remarks after flushing down another bite with a big gulp of water.

Jeongguk gnaws on his lip.

'Adorable', Taehyung's brain supplies. 'Thank you for nothing, now please shut up, thank', Taehyung answers.

"You are rich."

Taehyung nods, hides a little smile. "We already established that."

"Yeah but. You're like, rich-rich."

Taehyung cringes. "Not that much."

Jeongguk levels a flat look at him, pointedly turns his head up to the chandelier above them that's almost twice as big as him, then looks back at Taehyung.

"Okay okay, yeah, maybe...," the older relents.

Jeongguk's face twitches.  Taehyung has no idea whether that's a good or a bad sign.

"So why did you never say anything?"

"Because." Okay, truth or dare, Kim Taehyung. He takes a deep breath, feels all vulnerable now. "Because I don't want to be defined over money. I don't want people to look at me and not see Kim Taehyung but the son of so-and-so with the net-worth of however many billion Won floating over my head."

Jeongguk stares at him for a long moment. "...Oh."

"Yeah, oh," Taehyung huffs.

"But, but you don't look or act rich. Like. When I look at you I don't get let's say, Park Jimin on the red carpet vibes. But more like... uhhhh, what's his name again, the Bilbo Watson actor-"

Taehyung doesn't let the younger finish his thought, he's already cracking up and choking on a slice of salami. 

"Bil-Bilbo Watson... oh my- Bilbo Watson, I-I can't-"

"Y-Yah! Anyway!" Jeongguk's head is at least as red as Taehyung's. "As I was trying to say, you just don't give off the rich kid vibes."

Taehyung calms down. Eventually.

"Martin Freeman," he gasps out. "His name is Martin Freeman."

Jeongguk snaps his fingers. "Yeah, that dude. I mean, I-I knew that!"

Taehyung grins. "Sure you did."

"I totally did, man."

"Uhum. Also, I'm surprised you know Jiminie. I mean, no offense-"

"Wait." Jeongguk narrows his eyes at the older. "Did you just call one of the most famous Korean male models 'Jiminie'?"

"Uhhh..."

. So much to not scaring away Jeongguk. Mayday, mayday, mayday...

"Do you know him?"

"I-"

"Do you?"

"Well..."

"Ohmygod, you totally do! I can't believe this." Jeongguk throws his hands up. Forgets he still got the pizza box on his lap and sends it flying to the ground. "Oh , I'm so sorry!"

Before Jeongguk can do anything, Taehyung is already up and wiping off most of it with the paper towels he brought. And to stop Jeongguk from trying to help - he's a guest and guests don't mop the floor - Taehyung pins him to the couch with a stern look.

"No no, you stay there and be merry. I got this. It's just marble, I can easily wipe it off."

Jeongguk gapes at him.

"It's just- marble isn't a 'just' case!"

Oop. Wrong thing to say. Taehyung at his lip and looks back down.

"Why do you even need to have marble floor? Do you need to show off at home that bad or?"

Okay, yeah, no. Taehyung huffs. "I didn't go for marble because it's expensive but because it fits my needs."

"Such as...?"

Taehyung gets up and takes a few steps back. "Lay a hand on the floor," he orders.

Jeongguk mutters something to himself but does as told.

"Alright, what do you feel?"

"I mean... it's smooth and... expensive... and cold I guess..."

"Yep." Taehyung nods.

"Okay, so?"

Taehyung hurries to dispose of the trash, then slinks back to his end of the couch and grabs the tea mug. 

"Alright. So. Remember how I told you I can't eat spicy food?"

The look of wariness on Jeongguk's face shifts to one of confusion. "Yeah?"

 Taehyung nods to himself. Tongues his cheek as he thinks about how to approach the whole thing.

"Okay. So, well, the reason for that - and my often light and baggy clothes, my no-leather-in-the-car policy and also the marble floor - is, that I'm sick."

Of course his sore throat decides now is a good time to throw another coughing fit, prompting Jeongguk to roll his eyes and mutter 'No Sherlock'.

Taehyung gives him a playful glare. "Not the flu. I'm talking about a maybe permanent health problem."

"Oh." Jeongguk sheepishly looks away.

"Yeah. It's a sickness where I get itchy rashes on my skin when my body temperature rises too much. Sometimes I also feel nauseous. So I always try to avoid situations where my temperature could rise. Like exercising much, going into the sun or, well. Eating spicy food."

Jeongguk is listening with rapt attention and Taehyung feels all sorts of endeared.

"So that's why you got marble everywhere - because it's cooling."

Taehyung smiles. "Yeah, exactly. One of the unique features of marble is that it's always cool to the touch, no matter what. That little fact is also how you can easily tell apart real and fake marble, by the way."

Jeongguk muses over what he just learned. Taehyung lets him, sipping on his tea. 

"So basically Baek was not only being a douche but also a threat to your health when he ordered the spicy food for you?"

"I don't think he had a hand in that one-"

"But he could have! He's an after all."

"I mean, yeah..."

Jeongguk hums, scowls.

"Okay, so. You are rich but don't want people to know because you want to be judged for you as a person. So you don't show it off. Then where does all the money come from and where does it go? Or no, wait!" His eyes grow big and frantic. "Is that rude to ask? You don't have to answer if you don't wanna. Sorry, I'm just, uhm, you know..."

Taehyung chuckles. "it's okay." It's not. Except for Jimin he never answered these kind of questions. "I'm not gonna answer the first question but about the matter of where the money goes... I mostly spend it for my home here and occasional designer clothes. Everything else I either save up or donate to charity."

"But wait." Jeongguk's got his hand raised as if he were back in school. Cute, cute, cute, Taehyung's mind chants. Gosh, how annoying.

"I've never seen you in designer clothes before."

"Well, you've never seen this place before too, have you?"

"...Touché."

After maybe half an hour where Jeongguk reluctantly gets back to eating the remains of his pizza - and upon asking confesses he came to pay back Taehyung's kindness from when the older visited him when he was sick - Jeongguk pipes up again.

"So what kind of brands are we speaking?"

Again it's so painfully obvious he's stalling. Both are long-since finished with their meal and technically there is no reason for the younger to stay any longer.

Taehyung, feeling remarkably better after the back-and-forth with Jeongguk, throws him a mischievous smirk. 

"Wouldn't you like to know~"

"Yah!"

"Tell you what," Taehyung interrupts. A sudden rush of energy makes him feel bold. "Once I'm all better again we can end work early one day and go to a club together. It's the only occasion where I dress up these days if at all. You can feel free to judge my taste in clothing then."

Jeongguk gapes at him but ultimately nods.

"Deal."

And just like that, Taehyung's bravery evaporates. Is gone in a blink. He immediately starts panicking.

"Alright, now go home and get some rest, you've been up and about for way too long already."

"But-"

"Goodnight Jeongguk, it was really good seeing you, thanks."

"Hey!"

Jeongguk lets himself be thrown out like that, albeit with a scowl. The door falls shut behind him not a second too late, Taehyung doubling over with one of the nastiest cough attacks so far. He's experiencing a double itch, he thinks somewhere in between. An itch in his throat and mind. Something he overlooked just now...

Oh dammit, oh no. 

Jimin, that little !

Taehyung dives for his phone and calls Jeongguk. The younger is probably still on his way out of the building complex.

"Ye-"

"Just so we're clear, this was not a date invitation!"

The following pause is too long to be comfortable.

When Jeongguk answers at last, it's with one soft and vulnerable voice. Carrying his heart on his sleeve. What a poor, precious bean.

"Oh... it was... not?"

And it sounds so small, so broken Taehyung can't possibly leave it like that.

"W-well, at least that wasn't the original plan."

Taehyung wants to bang his head against the wall. Multiple times. What am I doing, what am I doing, what the am I doing-

"Alright then, I understand."

Something like hope swings with the words Jeongguk uttered, such a sweet, fragile thing. Taehyung's poor, poor heart.

"Okay, cool. Uhm, goodnight."

Taehyung's own voice is nothing like the beautiful sound of the younger's. It's scratchy, hoarse, somewhat unforgiving. Goddammit, why does he have to sound like crap right now? And wait. Even more importantly, when did it start to matter? He was fine croaking at Jeongguk just five minutes ago. What the hell is going on.

"Goodnight, hyung."

Ah, there it is again. That voice. Taehyung can only nod and end the call wordlessly.

Later that night, when he's past the point where headache is only a mild side effect and has had multiple medicines, he writes Jimin about the angelic voice that belongs to Jeon Jeongguk.

Jimin's reply is immediate. The 'ping' of an incoming voice message loud and jarring in Taehyung's ears.

"Dude, you are soooooo gone for him."

And with startling realization Taehyung thinks, maybe Jimin is right. Maybe, just maybe he's been right all along.