Of empty planes and koala fingerprints

Leave the light on (for me)

Taehyung loves airports. 

Not because it's the place to go to for starting a long journey but because of the overall vibe.

One fine days someone decided that an airport is not just to be a plane station but a huge mall full of duty-free shops and expensive brand shops and food courts. Which, awesome.

Being at the airport leaves you in some kind of suspended state because it feels like all the time zones in the world meet at this very point so whatever time your watch is showing is both right and wrong at the same time. It's always airport time. And the air is filled with disinterest and nonchalance, nobody cares if you wear a Prada suit worth more than a car or dirty sweatpants and a crop top while clinging to a giant cat plushie as big as yourself. And nobody will judge you for shugging seven cokes at 2am.

People at the airport are just a different breed.

The only annoying thing are all the paparazzi and sasaeng fans that never fail to be present at the airport, waiting for some famous actor idol to arrive. Especially at an airport like Incheon. Once more Taehyung feels a strong wave of relief wash over him, that distinct feeling of patting yourself on the shoulder for having made a good decision long ago. 

It's been the right thing to insist on his pictures being taken down and from then on not being published in the first place on anything that concerns his family. To stay out of the business of Kim Industries instead of making use of his name and wealth. To shy away from spotlight.

Because it means he can show up in baggy trousers two sizes too big and a huge shirt with Van Gogh's "Starry night" print reaching to his kneew, no makeup on, just some giant sunglasses, Gucci bag with his necessities in one hand. And nobody is looking his way twice. He is a nobody, a rich idol traveling incognito for a whole lifetime and it's awesome. He's just calmly coexisting with all the other strangers at the airport while he waits for his flight for Busan to get announced.

During the time he waits, young desperate Jeongguk keeps reoccurring on his mind. That helpless look on his face when he said he's too young to have burnout. It leaves a bitter taste on Taehyung's tongue. Then the number of his flight pings up at the departure board and he forgets about it.

He has the sense to wonder why he's the only one making his way to the gate for the Busan flight. Sure, it's been delayed by almost two hours but Busan is always one of the top destinations so why...?

Taehyung boards the plane and the stewardess cheers. 

"Thanks god, we've got a passenger," she yells and claps her hands, other crew members from all around the cabin joining. 

Taehyung gets whisked up in a flurry of cheery, somewhat tired stewardesses and lead to the first class area where he is told to pick whatever seat he wants. He buries deep into one of the spacey armchairs right next to a window and amusedly watches the stewardesses playing rock-paper-scissors on who can take his orders. The blonde, heart-shaped young woman who wins fist-pumps the air, the others sulking.

With only an hour of flight ahead Taehyung really isn't in for a big meal so he just orders some veggies, a muffin and a hot chocolate. While he waits for his order he listens to the most laid-back safety instructions ever and to the pilot announcing he's "pretty sure we got the maps the right way round this time, like, at least sixty percent sure the upper end of the map points to where north is". He also learns from the crew who after not even ten minutes warmed up to him like a long-lost friend and is busily chatting him up now, that it seems he is the only one who got the memo the flight was not canceled completely. Which explains the complete lack of other passengers.

The plane is set in motion, slowly rolling over the field and gaining speed and Taehyung watches, enthralled as always. Next to him a flight attendant is still trying and failing to remember who painted the 'Starry night' while blatantly checking out Taehyung. He makes a point ignoring the latter part and after a while the flight attendant seems to get the message. Which doesn't stop him from spouting random painter names.

"Okay but if it wasn't Picasso then it had to be Monet. No? Debussy?"

Taehyung laughs, completely at peace with the whole situation. He's easily accepted his role as the long-lost friend. Making friends and chatting up strangers has never been a problem to him.

"Dude, you are so far off, honestly. Also Debussy was a composer."

The red-head sniffs and turns away with a fake-hurt "Hmpf".

They set off and that's when the music starts to play. The whole plane is filled with some epic, cinematic soundtrack as it raises higher and higher up the sky. Eventually Taehyung recognizes the piece. He almost falls out of his seat laughing hard and loud because the crew started to blast Fairy Tail soundtracks on full volume.

Taehyung feels a little bit like a hero himself as he dramatically gazes out of the window and onto the clouds passing by down below while 'Erza tai Erza' plays.

He loves this. Watching the world from above where the clouds look so much bigger, so much more plastic and three-dimensional like a secret kingdom. Where mighty rivers turn into dark blue ribbons and cities into glowing little specks. He always does it that way when he visits Busan, takes the plane to get there and enjoy the stellar view, then the KTX on his way back to have some more time for himself and also to not be responsible for too much kerosene emission.

His snack arrives together with the offer to pick what music shall be played over the plane aux. The rest of the flight turns into a huge Twice rave. Needless to say Taehyung is having the time of his life. It's the best first class flight he ever had and there have been some.

The crew sees him off with waving hands, flying arms and huge grins, a 'See you next time' on the tip of their tongues.

Taehyung is still kind of high on endorphins when he arrives at Jimin's doorsteps.

Jimin, his best friend who is already waiting for him with a colorful self-made cocktail in one hand. Taehyung gets just a raised eyebrow as greeting once he makes it to Jimin's apartment, his friend leaning against the open door and sipping on his drink.

"Three hours my dude? How about you give a warning next time?"

Taehyung laughs sheepishly and pulls the smaller in a tight hug. There is no sting to his words anyway. 

"I'm sorry Jiminie, my flight got delayed and then I was the only one on the plane and we were having so much fun and they played Twice and-"

"Okay okay, let's get you inside first and then you can tell me everything," Jimin interrupts him, voice tinkling with giggles. "I wasn't really mad anyway. Ranked up so high on Piano Tiles while waiting for you."

Taehyung pinches his side.

"As if you ever could be mad at me."

"Yah, you punk! I'm still older than you."

Taehyung cackles and dodges the punch to his arm. He sets down his bag in the usual spot in Jimin's bedroom and is right back. The petit blond has already prepared his favorite sweet sunrise mocktail and hands it to him, the two of them making their way over to the armchairs in front of the big window side by side. It's as if they never parted. As if it's not been weeks since Taehyung last visited.

Taehyung succumbs to the giant fluffy cushions and puts his feet in Jimin's lap who doesn't even try removing them, just sighs. There is no point in trying. Taehyung grins.

"So," Jimin takes a large sip, pink already tainting his cheeks, "how is life?"

But the younger doesn't hear him. Drowns out the words and looks at the sea beneath. He will never not be amazed by the view. Amazed and terrified. This is even higher than his office.

"How do you do this? Living so up high when your fear of heights is almost as bad as mine?"

Jimin's smile is warm and wraps around him like a fuzzy blanket.

"The trick is to look up, not down. I told you so often Tae-Tae. And I feel safe here. It's not like a free-swinging bridge over the abyss."

Taehyung hums.

"Sorry, what did you say before?"

"Your new job. And, like, in general. How is it?"

So Taehyung tells him.

It gets dark and they move back to the kitchen where Jimin has already prepared dinner - he's always been the better cook of the two of them. They keep talking, on and on, during the meal and afterwards, while getting ready for bed and then some more, laying under the blanket snuggled up against each other. Three weeks are a lot of time and they are in dire need of catching up.

Taehyung tells him everything about his new job and the light switch dilemma whereas Jimin indulges him in all the latest gossip of the modeling industry, shows him some pictures of his most recent photo shooting, tells him about some old friends Taehyung hasn't seen in ages.

Falling asleep with Jimin hugging him and muttering nonsense as his brain slowly shuts down is easy. It's like coming home. Taehyung always misses him a little when he's back at Seoul. Some days more than others. It's comforting to know he can visit his friend at the weekend whenever he wants. And when they are both free, of course.

 

Sunday follows a similar pattern, just backwards. 

Bed, talking, traveling, Seoul.

Taehyung wakes up to Jimin drooling on his shoulder and lays there motionlessly while the day goes on without them doing anything until his friend stirs and slowly wakes up too. He's adorable post-slumber with his red cheeks, puffy eyes and bed hair. Taehyung coos and pulls him closer, the older eating up the affection and happily latching onto him. It has been like that from early on between them, that consensual need for physical contact. They are both big snugglers so it's a win-win situation in every way.

They get up lethargically, one limb at the time and half sleep-walk into the kitchen to fix up some late breakfast. And they pick up where they stopped last night. Taehyung going on and on and on about Baek and Jeongguk. Jimin is a great listener, enthusiastically nodding along and reaffirming Taehyung's every action and opinion with a loud "yes" and "absolutely" and "damn right".

At some point they make it down to the beach. Taehyung happily gets rid of his shoes and socks to skip through the waves at wet sand. And they keep talking, talking, talking, mouths running a mile a minute without either one of them growing tired. 

Jimin invites him for lunch and fights Taehyung trying to pay him back because 'I'm your hyung and it's my duty to spoil you so shut up and be merry'. Taehyung lets him have it his way but only after Jimin points out the younger already paid for the tickets to visit him. Taehyung sulks only for like five minutes. The dessert is too delicious to not feel euphoric.

Parting ways with Jimin in the late afternoon is dramatic as always. Two grown-up men clinging to each other in front of the Busan station and crying loud fake-tears while swearing eternal love and loyalty to each other.

"Ready for my big fat wisdom of the day?" Jimin is grinning like a Cheshire cat. Anybody who does not know him that well might think he's not fazed by his friend leaving. But Taehyung knows. He is not the only one feeling a bit lonely everytime they part.

So he indulges Jimin, nods solemny. It's one of their many rituals. "Wisdom away, old man."

"Yah!"

Taehyung accepts the punch to his shoulder with a loud cackle.

"Okay, well." Jimin clears his throat. His gaze turns serious. "Tae-Tae, you talked about that guy, that Jeongguk all weekend. And I know you, you can be a little dense under all that pretty hair sometimes. So let me help you take the short route to realization, yes?"

"Uh, okay...?"

Jimin nods. "Jeon Jeongguk. That dude. You like him."

Taehyung splutters. Immediately starts pushing out denials so fast the sentences get tangled on their way out.

But Jimin is having none of it.

"No no hear me out. Think about it. I could easily chalk up four hours in total of you talking about the dude and nothing else. I barely remember all the other names of your new co-workers but I feel like I could tell what Jeongguk ate for lunch today if I just tried hard enough. Don't you get it? You like him. And not just like. I'd even say like-like."

Taehyung is outright laughing at him now.

"Jimbles, do you even hear yourself? You're so wrong it's ridiculous. I don't like him. I'm not interested in him, not the least bit. And even if I were - just hypothetically speaking - it would still lead nowhere. He doesn't ever look at me. Which is cool cuz I don't either. Look at him, I mean. So you better get that silly idea out of your head."

Jimin purses his lips and gives him a long look.

"...If you say so."

"I do!"

"Alright. But just, just think about it maybe? I know you Tae-Tae, I know your tells. You don't speak that much about just anyone."

Taehyung gets up to the same step as Jimin so he towers above him again and squishes the older's face with both hands.

"Jiminie... must I remind you  everything I told you about him was pure ranting? I wouldn't rant about someone I like, wouldn't I?"

Jimin pulls the other's hands off him and rubs his cheeks.

"I love you Tae-Tae but sometimes you are just stupid."

Taehyung shoves him in the side. Jimin tip-toes and smacks the back of his head. They both snicker, hug again and finally part, Taehyung still shaking his head about that impossible statement.

You like him.

On the whole train ride he thinks about it and wonders how his best friend could ever come up with such a far-fetched statement. But he actively thinks about it now, plays with the idea even if to just laugh it off. The seed is planted.

Taehyung groans and presses his forehead against the cool window.

He already can tell he won't be able to look at Jeongguk the same way again. Not with that bull idea floating around in his head.

Great.

 

The first thing Taehyung notices on Monday after doing a subtle check-up is that Jeongguk looks a lot better than last time he saw him. Well-rested, determined and no longer on the brink of a breakdown.

The second thing he begrudgingly accepts is that Jeongguk is still a pain in his , because of course he is.

They still have quarrels about the light switch and about when's a good time to stop working for the day. The only times they agree on something is when Baek is being an which basically is the case every time they run into each other.

After an especially hostile glare from the older at them during a coffee break - how did Taehyung being on a coffee tea break together with hell spawn Jeongguk even happen??? - Jeongguk muses with chin propped up on his hand, "Do you think he's like that because he knows the car and the rubber ducks were our fault?"

Taehyung shakes his head.

"Naw. He has no proof. For all he knows it could've been a koala."

The younger slowly turns towards him and gives him The Look.

"A. Koala. Are you serious."

Taehyung empties his cup and puts it in the dishwasher. He shrugs.

"Yeah? Koala fingerprints are so similar to humans even crime scene investigators have been confused by them. If Baek ever accuses us of anything we just say it's been the koalas and all is good."

Jeongguk stares at him for a solid minute.

"...Do I spend too much time with you or did that actually make sense just now?"

Taehyung scowls and leaves with a muttered ''.

He rearranges the magnet letters on Jeongguk's board to NEEJ GOGO JUNK.

 

A few minutes later, Taehyung already endorsed by his current coding project, the door next to him slams shut with a loud bang. But it's not because of Taehyung latest poem.

'Istg the is such a ing narcist', Jeongguk knocks and Taehyung can almost hear him seething through the wall.

'Baek?'

'Yes.'

And now Taehyung has not the slightest clue what he missed but still he can wholeheartedly agree. Jeongguk is absolutely right, Baek is an . Period.

He finishes his thought then saves the progress with a few clicks and gets up. Heads over to Jeongguk's office for some moral support. To help a lad out, if you will. Not because he like-likes Jeongguk or whatever.

He knocks and invites himself after a muffled grunt.

Jeongguk is seething alright. Face red, hands clenching and unclenching, whole frame rigid.

Taehyung closes the door carefully and leans against the solid wood, hands buried in the pockets of his sweats.

"What did he do this time?"

But Jeongguk shakes his head, a sharp jerk from one side to the other.

"Doesn't matter, it's not worth it."

The bastard is not worth losing more words than necessary about him. Taehyung nods. He gets it.

Jeongguk curses under his breath, gaze flitting everywhere and hands still clenching and unclenching but feet rooted to the spot. He looks like a wild animal trying to break free.

". I really want to punch something right now."

The corner of Taehyung's mouth twitches.

"Tough luck."

"Oh shut up," the younger snaps, Taehyung raising a judging eyebrow at him. "I gotta destress somehow!"

Then he pulls off his mandatory black statement hoodie and for the briefest moment the white shirt underneath gets lifted up too, revealing a glimpse on miles of pale skin, a maddeningly slim waist and defined abs. It's only a split-second, the white shirt falling back down soon enough but the damage is already done. Taehyung saw. He just learned Jeongguk is packed and now he doesn't know what to do with the information. Gosh, he had no idea. He feels kind of betrayed, like this is something he was supposed to learn a long time ago.

His reeling thoughts come to an abrupt stop as he watches Jeongguk throwing the hoodie on his chair and getting on the floor.

"What the heck?," Taehyung says. Read as: what are you trying to do there?

Jeongguk is stuck for an answer. He gets in plank position, lifts his head to lock burning eyes with Taehyung and then starts doing push-ups. Aggressively. Taehyung's never seen someone doing push-ups with a face as if they want to murder someone.

He watches the strange scenario unfold for quite some time. Marks Jeongguk's gritted teeth and drawn-together eyebrows, the harsh pants, the way black strands fall into the younger's face, his bulging arm muscles. It's doing things to him but he can't put a name on it. Just. Things. 

After who-knows how long Jeongguk's impromptu workout ends. The younger gets up and puts his hoodie back on. Taehyung is still watching him.

"Better?"

And Jeongguk, Jeongguk throws him a crooked smile. "Yeah, a little."

Taehyung nods and leaves before he is hit with more visual attacks. Back in the safety of his own office he starts to silently freak out. That stupid ing smile, ohmygod! He buries the face in his hands and groans. And he's got abs! He's got a whole six pack. This is not fair. This is so so not fair. And the biceps. Dude's like an Adonis. His head thunks against the wooden desk. Taehyung whimpers. Why the did I not know? Why do I even care? What the hell?!

He lifts his head enough to look at the left screen where colorful ribbons of the Mystify screensaver flit over the black monitor.

"Does that mean I have a muscle kink?"

The screen remains silent. Taehyung sighs and knocks his head against the wood again.

He is ed. One way or another he is so so ed.

 

Later that night he calls Jimin. Emergencies like that require drastic measures.

"He looks like you," is the first thing Taehyung blurts out.

"Why, hello Taehyung, good evening, how nice to hear from you so soon again, how are you doing, thank you for calling in the middle of the night, how can I help you my bestest best friend whom I adore and love dearly?"

Jimin's voice is dripping with sarcasm but Taehyung has other things to worry.

"Yes hello, he looks like you," he repeats.

There is a long-suffering sigh on the other end of the line but then Jimin perks up audibly.

"Wait, is this about Jeongguk? Do you have pics? Do you admit your crush at last?"

There is so much glee in his voice. Taehyung can picture him perfectly well laying on his bed with chin propped up on one hand, phone in the other, legs in the air, griining widely.

"Yes, no, no what the ," Taehyung guffaws. "Anyway. Back to topic. He doesn't, like, look like you visually in a 'you could be twins' kinda way but like. The muscles, my dude. He looks like you back when you were still actively dancing. And I didn't know. How was I supposed to know? What should I do now? I, like, ." He knows he is rambling but there is seriously nothing he could do about it.

"Excuse you, I'm still in top shape and could literally kick your anytime," Jimin snips back. "But, good for you I guess? I mean. What you just said. That means he's hot right?"

"Jimiiiiiiiiiiiin," Taehyung whines. "Jimin, what do I do?"

"Ask him out? Obviously?"

Taehyung lets go of the phone, buries his face in the pillow and screams a little before picking it up again.

"What no I can't do that, I don't like him and he doesn't like me remember?"

Silence. Jimin is hours away from him, Taehyung can't see him, his friend is not making a single sound. Yet he knows for sure Jimin is giving him the look, judging him so damn hard all the way from Busan to Seoul.

"Bro, you just called me in the middle of the night to cry about your realization that Jeongguk is ripped. What else do you want to hear from me?"

"...I don't know."

"Well, me neither. But it's really simple, okay? Look, just ask him out for real. You are clearly attracted to him and you are a stunner yourself, he is going to say yes, you will go on a date and then another and another and another and then I will meet him, give my stamp of best friend approval and then you become boyfriends, marry, elope and ride together on a white horse into the sunset. Easy."

"Jimin no!"

"Jimin yes."

"Nu-uh." Taehyung pouts into the darkness that is his bedroom.

"Yes. It will happen, mark my words. Don't fret too much. You got this, okay? Fighting!"

"Fighting," Taehyung sighs, if only to indulge his friend.

An obnoxious smooch and 'sleep tight, Tae-Tae' later, Jimin hangs up and leaves Taehyung more befuddled than ever.