Of restaurant owners and walk-in closets

Leave the light on (for me)

The pattern continues like that.

Over the day, Taehyung and Jeongguk work on Taehyung's projects together, then in the evening the younger comes to visit with food. Leaving the older a flustered mess more often than not. Because now that Taehyung is aware of his maybe existing soft spot - he wouldn't necessarily call it feelings, but yeah, soft spot, he can admit that much - he can't un-learn the knowledge. Has to come to terms with it. Which is harder said than done.

 

On the second evening Jeongguk arrives packed with ingredients, dumps a whole load of lemons on Taehyung's table - "So you can make some Yuja Cha" - and takes the rice and sweet potatoes to the kitchen where he makes himself at home. Taehyung can only gape at the way Jeongguk goes through his cupboards to get familiar and then opens a Jook-cooking tutorial on his phone, following it step by step.

Once asked why he came again, Jeongguk answers with a cheeky smile.

"Can't neglect our late-night dinner tradition now, can we?"

Dude, Taehyung can't argue with that. Doesn't even want to. He finds he enjoys the younger's visits, even if it gets increasingly difficult to think and act rational around him. To not let some of the sappy stuff slip Taehyung catches himself thinking more often than ever.

 

On the third day, they are both just about to get started with dinner when the doorbell goes. Taehyung startles. Weird, he thinks. Jeongguk is already here. He goes to answer the door, the younger in tow.

"Hello?"

"Food delivery."

Oh no. Taehyung definitely knows that voice. Sure enough, a few minutes later he opens the door to a impatiently knocking Seokjin. His friend shoves three whole boxes at him, all heavy and probably smelling heavenly, bold print of 'Eat Jin' adorning the front sides.

"You work for Eat Jin?" It's Jeongguk, peeking over Taehyung's shoulder. "Their food is delicious, man."

Seokjin levels a flat look at him. "Boy, I am Eat Jin."

Jeongguk shutters, Taehyung rolls his eyes. 

"Dramatic as always. Why are you here again?"

"Because you can't cook to save your life," the restaurant owner deadpans. "And because you are sick. This the Jeonggukkie boy?" He jerks his chin in Jeongguk's direction.

"What- how are you-"

"Jimin called me."

"That little traitor," Taehyung mutters. Reluctantly accepts the loads of food. He vaguely registers Jeongguk gaping behind him.

Seokjin smacks his arm.  "Yah, he cares about you. Show some more respect to your elders, will you? Also make sure you eat up all of this or else I will come for you."

Taehyung snorts. "What are you, my mum?"

"Certainly not and you better be glad. I do, in fact, care for you."

"That was low, hyung," he whispers. Swallows down the bitter taste of broken bonds and dreams.

Seokjin's expression softens and he pats the younger's shoulder. "I'm sorry, that was uncalled for. I really can't stand that woman." He then turns ever so slightly, stretching out his hand to Jeongguk. "Kim Seokjin, nice to meet you."

Jeongguk only takes the offered hand after silently double-checking with Taehyung. 

"Uh, Jeon Jeongguk..."

Seokjin gives him one of his little trademark smirks, then pulls a fourth foodie bag from god-knows-where and sets it on top of the wavering tower in Taehyung's arms.

"Alright, I'll leave you two lovebirds alone now. Taehyung, remember to eat everything and send a thank you to Jimin. And Jeongguk, I'm sure we will see each other again. Later, es~" With that, he turns on his heels and struts down the hallway, long coat bagging behind him.

"Why is that idiot even wearing a coat, it's mid-summer," Taehyung huffs.

Jeongguk shrugs. "For the effects?"

"Yeah, probably."

Taehyung shuts the door and, with the help of one Jeongguk, carries all of the food to his kitchen counter. Together they look through the good stuff Seokjin brought, leave some of it out to add to their dinner and put the rest in Taehyung's fridge.

"So," Jeongguk says when they are back on the couch with now double the amount of food filling the table. "The Eat Jin owner or something, Park Jimin and you. You are, you are like, close."

Taehyung scratches his head, blows his nose. "I mean, yeah?"

"Oh. My. God."

And that's when Jeongguk starts fanboying hard.

"I can't believe the boy next door - oh, don't look at me like that, it's literally what we are at work - moves with high-end celebrities! Can you get me some autographs? Who else are you friends with? I need answers!"

Taehyung manages to calm him down a bit, reminding him thrice that Seokjin will have both their heads when they don't eat up.

Unfortunately, that brings forth a completely new topic that's Taehyung's inability to cook. Because honestly, anything more difficult than sandwiches is beyond his skill level. And oh, does Jeongguk delight in that knowledge. Cue the beginning of what Taehyung can only presume to be a never-ending bout of teasing. 

"Porridge?"

"Nope," Taehyung admits with a little shake of his head - bad idea, now his head is swimming.

Jeongguk grins. "Honestly? Not even that? It's so easy though."

Taehyung pouts. "Young grasshopper, might I remind you that you were in need of a YouTube tutorial for jook the other day?"

It does nothing to dampen the younger's mood.

"So? It did turn out tasty, didn't it?"

"I am literally the least person to testify this. I lost all sense of taste, remember?"

Jeongguk looks stricken for a second. No, he does not remember.

"What? Does that mean you couldn't taste anything of the stuff I got you?"

His voice is so small, a little bit in disbelief. Taehyung internally curses himself. Crap. 

"Uh..:"

"So all this time you just pretended to have a good time eating? Is that what you're saying?" Jeongguk's voice rises in pitch, panic seeping in now. It makes Taehyung feel even the more guilty.

"Well..."

"Were you just acting up everything so I don't feel bad or something? You could've just told me."

That's when Taehyung's resolution kicks in.

"No, no I couldn't. You've been trying so hard to provide me with good food, take care of me. Hell, you even started cooking for me. How could I ever tell you I don't taste anything?"

Jeongguk sulks with crimson cheeks and refuses to look at Taehyung for the rest of dinner. They eat in silence until the couch table is cleared and both their stomachs feel bloated.

Jeongguk's gnawing on a chicken leg when he realizes something. With an evil little smirk he turns back to Taehyung at last.

"Sooo, hyung... if you are a lousy cook, does that mean the chicken soup you got me was not from you either?"

"Wha-what, why would you bring that up?!" It's Taehyung's time to flush a deep red. "That's mean. Didn't you tease me enough already?"

"Am I right though?"

"I'm not gonna - wow, okay I'm full - I'm not gonna answer that!"

"Did you get it fixed from Seokjin? He seems the mother hen kind of person." With each remark, the grin on Jeongguk's face widens.

"I said I'm not gonna answer that, you little hell spawn! Yah! The door is that way." 

Taehyung points at his apartment door far behind Jeongguk. Jeongguk just laughs.

The bickering continues for some time and Taehyung can only last minute stop the impending food fight. Still it doesn't mean once the bickering stops Jeongguk is on his way. No, the younger cleans up everything - much to Taehyung's chagrin - and then falls back onto the couch.

They keep chatting about anything, switching topics like switching lanes, smooth yet fast. It's a rollercoaster, really.

From "Did you know that you can buy your own Hobbit home and have it delivered?"

To "Just so we're clear, I don't plan to become your glucose guardian now that you know." - "My what?!" - "Your sugar daddy, goddammit."

To "Also did you know you teeth explode like popcorn when you get cremated?"

They cover everything.

And while Taehyung would like to think he supplied most of the hilarious and weird things, there is one remark of Jeongguk that tops it all:

"Okay maybe you've seen a lot but obviously you never saw two car mechanics laying on skateboards, linking their legs together and transforming themselves into a human fidget spinner upon switching on their polishing machine thingies and holding them on the ground and it really shows, hyung."

For the first time in quite a while does Taehyung not have a comeback. As in, he sits there and gapes at Jeongguk for at least two solid minutes.

"W-well, be it as it may, that doesn't change the fact that you, my dude, have not yet read an elaborate post of an paleontology student who rated sauropod emojis. And that, that too shows."

Jeongguk pouts. "You don't know that."

Taehyung raises an eyebrow. Jeongguk splutters. 

 

The next day, Taehyung barely gets any work done from home. His head feels heavy enough to just drop off his shoulders if he tilts it back enough. The pain killers do nothing to soothe his headache, each minute sound booming loud in his ears. Jeongguk notices his lack of activity and texts him that it's okay and he should take it slow. Give his body all the rest it needs. 

And while Taehyung absolutely despises to laze around and do nothing productive there really is not much he can do. So he gets back to bed and sulks half of the day.

Getting up to let in Jeongguk in the evening is a feat in itself. All of his limbs are heavy and he has problems navigating them. Jeongguk takes one look at him and says,

"That bad, huh?"

Taehyung can't decide whether or not he likes the pity swinging in the younger's voice. 

And Jeongguk, being the enigma he is, goes up and beyond, leading Taehyung back to bed and feeding the older until Taehyung silently swears he can't take anymore. Slowly shakes his head again and again to get his point across for somewhen thorough the day his voice must've left him too.

The younger doesn't seem to be fazed by the lack of communication, of witty interactions. He just continues to fret over Taehyung. Makes sure he took all his medicine. Manages to convince Taehyung to get out of bed for a bit so he can change the bedsheets, get rid of the smelly, sweat- and illness-soaked linen.

"Is all of this real silk?"

Taehyung nods.

"Aish, seriously." Jeongguk laughs, shakes his head. "Sometimes I think you're being too much but then I remember you're probably trying to be practical and the stuff suiting your needs best just so happens to be luxury goods most of the time. You got silk here because it's cooling, too?"

Another nod. And for a short moment Taehyung's heart doubles in size. Jeongguk got him all worked out by now. 

"Alright, where do I find fresh linen?"

Taehyung points to one of his two high cupboards, the shiny white sliding doors hiding all kinds of stuff he needs in the bedroom.

Jeongguk too must notice the weird combination of stuff in there. The lack of clothing altogether. He grapples for a set of white-and-blue striped sheets in one of the higher compartments, shuts the door, turns around and huffs.

"Don't tell me you have a walk-in closet now."

Taehyung pads to the mirrored pocket door, reaches for the well-hidden handle and with a last uncertain on his lip, a quick glance to Jeongguk, pulls it open. He reaches around for the switch and immediately the long room is bathed in warm light coming from light tubes hidden behind a big mirror at the opposite wall and the wardrobes lining both side walls. 

Jeongguk is hot on his heels, bedsheets long forgotten on the floor as he peeks around Taehyung's figure.

"Whoa!"

He's already half-way down the room before turning back to Taehyung with these big round eyes.

"Sorry, I- can I look?"

Taehyung is hesitant. He's still getting used to Jeongguk barging into his so fiercely protected home on the daily. To the younger wandering around, looking at things and being amazed. And one's wardrobe really is a very private part of one's home, isn't it?  But then he looks at Jeongguk who is so excited, bouncing on his feet and honestly, how could he say no to him?

So he just nods once more and watches how Jeongguk flits around the room, pulling open doors and drawers of the wardrobes that are varying twins to the two cupboards in his bedroom. All sleek, shiny white fronts that give nothing away and make it difficult to guess what's where if you are not familiar with the wardrobe's layout.

He watches Jeongguk pulling out the rack of neatly lined up ties, some of them formal, others bold and some outright silly. Jeongguk over the dark tie that's littered with tiny crystals of different colors, looking like a piece of star sky, then sorts through the other ties, stopping next at the one with a computer keyboard printed on it. Taehyung got it just for the job interview with Namjoon. The older has laughed at least a minute straight, then asked him where he got it.

Jeongguk's outright howling about the plain black one that has 'Meh.' printed at the bottom. Taehyung doesn't quite get it. Well, yes, it is funny. If he wouldn't agree on that, he wouldn't have purchased it. But Jeongguk crouching down and slapping the floor-kind of funny? Nah. Maybe Taehyung can gift it to the younger at some point. He's got more than enough tacky ties.

Then the younger is opening the next door, and the next, and another one, slowly revealing all of Taehyung's shirts, blouses, suits and whatnot. Marveling at the expensive brands as he thumbs over the embroidered logos of Hermès, Burberry, Gucci.

Jeongguk falters a few times, like when he spots the flowy red satin shirt, one of Taehyung's favorites. Or that one long navy double-ed military-style coat, or the completely golden three-piece suit. His head keeps snapping back and forth between the clothes and Taehyung, as if he can't quite wrap his head around the fact Taehyung is owning such things. Can't picture him wearing any of these.

Taehyung smirks. Maybe that's how he can throw off Jeongguk once and for all, dressing up for work.

Jeongguk forgets his little shock fast enough as soon as he pulls out the drawer with all of Taehyung's glasses. He giggles and then proceeds trying on every single one of them, running to the mirror, snorting at his image and darting back to try on the next pair. Taehyung lets him be and just watches. He's so ing endeared.

But then Jeongguk's inching closer to the drawer with the underwear and uh-oh. Not good. Taehyung clears his throat from where he's still looming in the doorframe and nods towards his stripped bed. Jeongguk gets the message, face turning red as he scrambles out of the wardrobe and almost trips over one of the two cushioned stools in the middle of the room. With a sigh that promptly turns into a dry cough, Taehyung switches off the light and pulls the door back in place. Hiding the room from prying eyes once more.

Jeongguk hurries to get the bed done and switches between spluttering apologies and snickering about all the things he just found back there.

Taehyung gets back to bed and the younger sits down on the edge again to feed Taehyung 'just a little more, c'mon, hyung'. It's humiliating and Taehyung wants to say as much, wants to refuse being fed like a baby not once but twice within a day. But then Jeongguk throws in a couple of 'please's and just like that, Taehyung finds himself surrendering and opening his mouth for the next spoonful. He's easy like that.

It's worth the big toothy smile Jeongguk shows him.

Taehyung chokes.

 

Almost two weeks after Taehyung called in sick, he's finally back at health and ready to go to work.

He sent a quick message to Jeongguk so the younger knows he no longer needs to take care of Taehyung's stuff, to which the younger replied with a string of happy emojis. Which is the first time ever he used emojis with Taehyung. Not that he keeps a tally or something. But it surely makes Taehyung wonder just how much Jeongguk missed him.

At work he gets greeted by one overly enthusiastic Namjoon who pulls him into a warm hug and starts gushing and congratulating Taehyung for winning against the evil flu as if he were some kind of long-lost family member.

Now Taehyung does not have all that much experience with work life but he thinks this is not exactly normal boss behavior. Maybe he did land himself a good one with BT Design.

Well, except for Baek. Dude is already popping up behind a corner and mouthing 'jjangmyeon' at Taehyung like a little child. Taehyung rolls his eyes. Seems some things don't change and Baek still is an .

"Welcome back, welcome back, little Kim," Baek hollers as soon as Namjoon is gone. "Nice to have you back, we surely didn't miss you at all. The business was running great without you."

Yep, an absolute .

Taehyung surely didn't come back to work for this. 

"Maybe that's because I kept working from home most of the time and before getting sick, I racked up quite a few extra hours, Baek-ssi. Just so people like you wouldn't notice the difference. Because isn't that what makes a good employee?"

Baek narrows his eyes. "What do you mean, 'people like me'? Getting cocky now, aren't we?"

"Dear Baek-ssi," Taehyung throws him a saccharine smile, "all I'm saying is that from what I gathered by now, you are about as useless as a shoe shop in The Shire. And with your confused expression just now you are further proving my point. Only great people will understand the reference I just made. Have a nice day. I didn't miss you at all either." He pats the older's shoulder and walks around him. Leaves it to Baek to figure out what he just said.

"Dude," Jeongguk whisper-yells from where he was crouched right around the corner. "You totally handed his to him and he doesn't even have a clue to what extent."

"Oh? And you have a clue?"

Jeongguk puts a hand above his heart. "Dude. Mellon. Of course I know."

They walk to their offices together, both grinning. Taehyung is delighted to learn Jeongguk knows basic Sindarin. Maybe he just found a new fella to binge the Tolkien movies with. Awesome!

Just before he can disappear in his office, Jeongguk stops him with a hand to his elbow. 

"I'm glad you're back, hyung."

The admission itself is quiet but in Taehyung's head it's jarringly loud.

"Thank you," he croaks out.

And flees the scene. Like some dumb stuttering teen who just ran into his crush. Dammit.

Time to get the upper hand again.

Getting back into full work mode is easy enough, the little bits Taehyung saw through during his sick leave paying out. He knows exactly where he stands and what's due next. And the little messages Jeongguk keeps knocking to him make him almost feel at home. Luckily there is no big meeting going on today so he doesn't have to fear another encounter with his least favorite co-worker.

During lunch,  Baekhyun and Minjae are all over him, crying loud fake tears and drawing the attention of the surrounding tables as they welcome their baby co-worker back. Taehyung is torn between being super embarrassed and touched that the two obviously missed him. 

To an extent he expected their reaction. At least from Baekhyun. It makes sense, the three of them have spent a lot of time by now and two weeks are a long time.

What he did not expect however is Yugyeom and the other dude - uhm, something with M... Mingyu? - showing up too. They knock at his office in the early afternoon, Yugyeom immediately starting to tell him how glad he is that he no longer needs to listen to Jeongguk's crying about how he misses Taehyung. Mingyu can't even slap a hand over the other's mouth fast enough but he tries anyway, yelling over Yugyeom how they are "Just very happy you're feeling better 's all and- goodammit SHUT UP you big idiot!"

Yugyeom snickers and ducks away.

"No honestly, he's been coming to us everyday and complaining about your absence. It was getting really annoying. So yeah, welcome back."

Mingyu lunges for him but Yugyeom darts around the table and laughs.

Taehyung thinks he sounds a lot like Jeongguk when laughing. Both  have that unrestrained, mouth wide open, high-pitched and almost squeaky kind of laugh. Also Yugyeom seems to be as much of a brat as the Jeongguk. Poor Mingyu. Poor everyone who encounters Jeongguk and Yugyeom together. 

Mingyu tries some more to perform damage control but it doesn't really work. Yugyeom just raises his voice and speaks over him until he's basically shouting in Taehyung's face, completely unfazed by Mingyu pulling at any limb he can get ahold of.

"SO NOW THAT YOU ARE BACK, THE POOR LOVE-SICK IDIOT WILL HOPEFULLY STOP TAKING UP SPACE IN OUR OFFICE, THANKS FOR THAT!"

That's when Jeongguk himself makes an appearance, head deep red and vein literally puckering. Without a single world he restrains Yugyeom with a measuring tape and hoists him up, throws him over one shoulder like a sack of potatoes and carries him out of the room. He doesn't look in Taehyung's direction once.

Mingyu trails after him with a sheepish "Bye" on his lips.

Yugyeom just grins widely from where he's hanging over Jeongguk's shoulder. "See you, It was nice talking to you, Taehyung-ssi! Welcome back in the madhouse!"

Jeongguk kicks Taehyung's door shut.

 

Five minutes later, Minjae slinks into Taehyung's office.

"Sooo..."

Taehyung steels himself. Whenever Minjae gets this kind of tone, there is nothing good following up.

"Did I just hear the fluffle confessing Jeongguk's love to you?"

Taehyung sniffs. "You get points for memorizing our new word for the 90-something liners but not for throwing baseless accusations around."

"Hyung... you do realize I have ears, yeah?"

"I'm not sure about that."

 

Trying to get his point across with texting Jimin is a fruitless attempt. Really, Taehyung should have know better.

He is in the middle of writing down a lengthy explanation about why Minjae is wrong, wrong, wrong, editing his message to fit the word limit when Jimin takes matters in his own tiny hands and calls.

"Tae, baby, I don't even know how often I told you by now but the poor guy is so obviously head over heels for you."

Taehyung sighs.

"And I don't know how often I told you but you are absolutely wrong. Also, he knows we are friends and wants to meet you and get an autograph."

"Pfft, of course he does- I mean, wait, he does?! That hoe!"

Taehyung snickers. Maybe his plan will work for once on Jimin too.

"I mean. No, wait. That's off-topic. Taehyung, you little . That's not what we've been talking about!"

Or not.

Taehyung indulges him for a while with hushed whispers, eyes always on the wall between their office rooms. 

The thing is, ever since Yugyeom - Kim Yugyeom, whom he does not know at all - basically told him Jeongguk is in love with him, Taehyung has a harder time than ever hiding from the fact. It makes him think, what if? Makes him turning around the thought in his head to a point where it doesn't sound completely far-fetched anymore.

But Taehyung is a sore loser, always has been. Doesn't want to admit he's been in the wrong and see his friends' -eating grins while they say 'I told you so'. He needs to run a few tests to be sure everybody around him is right.

Taehyung tells Jimin as much and of course his friend immediately bubbles over with glee.

"Ohmygod, are you out to get him now? That's my boy! Hyung taught you well. Swipe that motherer off his feet with class. Do it, do it hoe!"

Taehyung hums. He's gradually warming up to the idea.

"So the other day he saw my closet-"

"He saw your CLOSET?!", Jimin screeches.

"-and dude was hella shocked. Thought I can baffle him with some tailored chic, whatcha say?"

"Bro, that's a big fat yes."

Taehyung doesn't need to see his friend to know he is nodding furiously.

"Burgundy three-piece suit?"

"The one you wore at the gala last year? Yeah man, sign me the up."

Taehyung snickers. "I swear, you were the only thing making that damn gala somewhat bearable."

"Bro," Jimin sniffs, "don't make me shed my bro tears now, my photo shooting is about to start and I don't want to smear my makeup."

"Aw, love you too, Jimbles."

"Go get him, my dude."

And oh, he will. Nevermind the sweltering summer heat.

Tomorrow, Taehyung is going to find out just how much Jeongguk fancies him. He's gonna go all out.