Of gentleman behaviour and energy drinks

Leave the light on (for me)

The talk with Jeongguk has been a liberation, of sorts.

Taehyung still abhors thinking about his early days in adult life but it doesn't sting as much anymore as it used to. The edges of these memories' pain have been abraided, if only a little bit. Almost as if... as if telling Jeongguk about it dulled the sharp angles for a fraction. 

Sure, Jimin has always been there for him and he told him many things. But there is only so much a best friend can do. Maybe that's why he needed a new set of ears to rant. Maybe everyone with a little empathy and enough time to listen would have done the trick.

But his gut feeling tells him it needed to be Jeongguk. And that it wouldn't make such a big difference if it were anyone else.

Yeah he's a sap.

And judging from Jimin's side glance followed by an eyeroll, he's sporting a mushy expression just now. Poker face Kim Taehyung who?

Jimin snorts and pats his back. Then stops Taehyung who tries to distract himself with getting the couch sleepover-ready.

"No need, I was just about to go anyway. Got an early shot tomorrow and we all know I can't rely on you guys to wake me up on time." The model adds the last part with a sassy grin that results in vehement protest from Jeongguk's and Taehyung's side.

But yeah, that's how things come to be as the evening fades into night: Jeongguk stays, Jimin doesn't.

The older adds he's got some paperwork to do aside from his photoshoot in Seoul, then immediately reprimands Taehyung for feeling bad. Because the paperwork is indeed about the lawsuit against Crystal Gates, and lawsuits with barely any proofs are a wicked piece of work. 

And Jeongguk, lo and behold, agrees with Jimin.

Tells Taehyung to not worry.

Tugs him into bed and keeps whispering sweet promises to him until they fall asleep in each other's arms.

 

The next days, Jeongguk is just the sweetest guy whenever Taehyung is in sight. Makes him breakfast after gently kissing him awake.

Taehyung knows the younger is making breakfast not because he's already seen it but because he can hear Jeongguk puttering around in the kitchen.

Contrary to Jeongguk's firm belief, he's actually been wide awake ever since Jeongguk emitted that unnecessarily y low groan while coming to. Has only pretended to be asleep and prayed his lashes didn't quiver enough to give him away as Jeongguk leaned over and placed a gentle kiss on his forehead. The mumbled "Time to get up, Tae-ah" has fallen to deaf ears as Taehyung kept still, curious what the younger would do next.

...Seems like there is some truth to 'You get what you deserve'.

Because Taehyung found himself trapped.

He wanted to play Jeongguk and see how far things would go without the younger noticing that he's been fooled but it all backfired greatly as Jeongguk decided it'd be a good idea to start trailing feather-light kisses everywhere. To brush his lips down the bridge of Taehyung's nose, place the shadow of a kiss to the older's slightly puckered lips and stay like that for several heartbeats until Taehyung's whole mouth was tingling like crazy from that teasing touch. Then a peck was placed on his chin, these damn skillful lips dragged down the underside of his chin and his throat, lingering at his adam's apple before going lower, lower, lower. 

Countless pecks got placed on every part of skin Jeongguk could reach after tugging away the thin blanket. And there was a lot. Taehyung has gone to bed wearing Jeongguk's work shirt - and nothing else. With the broader frame of its original owner, the piece was loosely hanging off his frame, even more so after Taehyung ed like half of it. So it really was easy game for Jeongguk to put his mouth everywhere and anywhere and shower Taehyung's exposed chest, shoulders, hands, legs with kisses. Soft and warm, barely there. Like rose petals raining down on him and soon enough littering his whole body in decadent pleasure.

It was a feat to stay calm during all that. To not betray his little scheme and give in to the sensation that is Jeongguk worshipping his body in the morning. Taehyung almost choked while trying to keep his breath steady.

But then, with a little nip to his right ankle, it was over. 

Jeongguk pushed up himself with an air of finality and went off to make breakfast.

So now here he is, Kim Taehyung, post-wakeup kiss shower and pre-breakfast.

Incredibly .

There is no way Jeongguk didn't see, especially with Taehyung's blatant lack of underwear. Maybe he's even been looking at the underside of Taehyung's stiffened shaft while trailing his mouth down Taehyung's leg, has silently revelled in the effect he has on the older.

Taehyung's face is aflame.

What is he supposed to do now? They don't really have the time to treat this morning like a lazy sunday, they still have to get to work sooner rather than later. No way is there enough time for him to pad over to Jeongguk who's probably slaving over the stove, embrace him from behind, plant a kiss at his nape and guide him back to bed to take responsibility-

No, stop, you don't- stop imagining it! There's no time, .

Doing the hobble of shame to the bathroom turns out to be his best option, no matter how much Taehyung would've gone for literally everything else.

 

One very cold and disappointing shower later, he makes his way to the dining area and plops down on his favourite chair with all the grace of an elderly rhino.

"Morning, sweet-cheeks," Jeongguk sing-songs.

There is a teasing glint in his eyes as he places the omelette in front of Taehyung.

He knows.

Oh boi, he sooo knows. Jeongguk absolutely knows he's given Taehyung a terrible - and that the older has been pretending to be asleep all along. .

Taehyung groans.

It has the younger laugh one of these bright, high-pitched, bubbly things that make the very air around him taste like sunshine.

"Maybe just let me know next time when you need some help, hm?"

Before Taehyung's sluggish brain has a chance to catch up, Jeongguk has reached under the table and cupped him through his trousers, pulling a startled gasp from him.

That teasing glint in Jeongguk's eyes is hovering right in front of Taehyung now, so frustratingly close. He is just about to open his mouth and either spit out some witty remark or pull the younger down into a hungry kiss to show just how much awake he is, when Jeongguk straightens up and flaunts back to the kitchen with a little cackle.

Taehyung bumps his head against the table.

What a ing menace.

Why does that brat have to be his boyfriend again?

ing ugh!

 

Fast-forward a few hours and we can get back on track as to why Jeongguk is actually a super sweet guy.

Because wow, does he know how to take care of Taehyung just right!

Starting with that admittedly heavenly way to wake him up and then make fresh breakfast. Continuing with hurrying around Taehyung's car and pulling open his door as they arrive at work, opening all the other doors on their way - just like back when Taehyung was too dense to get Jeongguk' blatant courting attempts and thought they were competitively out-nicing each other. But this time round he knows it's genuine. Knows Jeongguk does it because he wants to, not because he tries to be the better man.

And damn, goes it a long way of making Taehyung feel important, treasured. Cared of.

The younger also sneakily swipes Taehyung's bag and carries it for him in perfect gentleman manner. Helps him out of his light jacket and drapes it over the backrest of his chair, then leaves Taehyung's office with a peck to his cheek.

 

Comes noon, Jeongguk starts break a tad bit earlier to fetch some lunch for the two of them and brings it to Taehyung's office so they can eat together - just the two of them.

(Taehyung's office is arguably the nicer one out of the two, with it being a corner room and thus having not only one but two walls made completely of floor-to-ceiling windows. Providing lots of light and - given the right timing - a stunning view on either Seoul beneat them or a stunning sky above.)

It's one of their more intimate lunch breaks, easily makes it in the top five. With the lack of rowdy friends or other guests and passerbys it's easy to get distracted from the food and lost in each other instead.

So maybe their lunch break ends up being extended. But can you really blame them, when there is just nothing to do against how easily they are gravitating towards each other? Taehyung could take a bite of his meal one moment, and the next thing he knows he's tucked into Jeongguk's side, thighs pressing together, fingers entwined and resting in the younger's lap, Jeongguk lifting the next spoonful to Taehyung's awaiting mouth.

There is just that constant pull; difficult to explain and even more difficult to ignore. As if they are unable to keep away from each other as soon as they are in the same room.

Oh, the irony is not lost on Taehyung. Had someone told him months ago how there would come a time when he'd be unable to keep his hands off the most annoying co-worker of the company and his unofficial sworn enemy, he would've asked that poor delusional soul what they've smoked.

But now, things are different. And not being in Jeongguk's personal space at any given chance just feels wrong.

(To make this clear: 'accidentally extended break' does not mean they've given themselves to the throngs of passion. They were just generally enjoying each other's company and thus forgot to eat time and again, in favour of cuddling up to each other and murmuring with heads tucked together - this time at least.)

And Jeongguk, bless his soul, continues his acts of compassion with no end in sight. 

Somewhen in the afternoon, the younger sidles up to Taehyung and declares that he's finished with his stuff for the day. Then asks, if Taehyung would maybe work on some of his things together.

Taehyung is all too happy to agree.

It's been a while since they worked on a project together, especially now as their boss knows he doesn't need to use those kind of methods anymore to force them into spending time together. But the undeniable truth is, they make a great team.

And it's actually perfect timing. Taehyung was just getting started with the next task, so there is not too much to explain to Jeongguk before they can get started, Jeongguk offering to do the little things he knows Taehyung doesn't like and promising to help him break up the code later too, once they get to that point.

Jeongguk rushes over to his own office and fetches a laptop, then is immediately back at Taehyung's side, ramping up his temporary workspace to the older's right. It's a tight squeeze with the desk not meant to provide two work spaces next to each other but they make it work. 

Personal space is for losers anyway.

They get to work, chatting and brainstorming about how to go about things first and then gradually falling silent until the only sound in the room is their rhythmic typing, sometimes interrupted by a huff or the crinkle of the nuts 'n' berries pack sitting between them - courtesy to, well, you can probably guess who.

Two hours later they are almost finished with the whole thing.

Taehyung feels like a proud dad.

Their baby is coming along great and they are so damn time efficient it's crazy.

He thinks at some point their boss is popping in his head in search of his favourite maknae. But he can't be sure, too focused on doing his part, concentration running high.

By seven in the evening, there are just minor things left to do which they decide to take care of the next day. Taehyung is grinning from ear to ear.

One might say that it's a bad idea to work together with your boyfriend but they clearly don't know .

Thanks to their underlying competitiveness that never strays too far, working together actually creates some kind of creative bubble. Super efficient. Because one glance to Jeongguk's concentrated face right next to him is all it takes to spur on Taehyung to do better. To work even harder, give it his all so he can keep up with the golden boy. And most importantly, not disappoint his partner who's clearly putting lots of effort into their project. Taehyung doesn't want to let Jeongguk down.

It's like a spiral of madness - but with good connotation. They keep pushing each other, urging on the other to keep pace. 

Actually, Taehyung wouldn't mind for this to become a permanent thing.

And the best - or worst - thing? It makes him have fun with his work! Seing Jeongguk working with laser focus almost feels like they are playing some game against each other. Whenever there is that y little smirk pulling up the corner of Jeongguk's mouth he levelled up, obviously got another task done. Taehyung's not gonna lose.

Taehyung bumps shoulders with Jeongguk on their way down the hallway after a day full of productivity. He's still grinning.

"Good job, partner."

Jeongguk quirks an eyebrow at him.

"Partner? 'S that how we calling it now?"

They are the last ones at work and thus on shutting down duty, but by far not as late as they used to be, half a lifetime ago.

As per usual, Jeongguk takes care of everything while Taehyung strolls after him - checks if all kitchen devices are turned off, turns off the lights, activates the alarm and then holds open the door for Taehyung before locking it twice.

Taehyung is still pondering about how great a word the term 'partner' is. He nods to himself.

"Yeah. Partner is just so beautifully loaded with double-meanings. It could say so many things. I mean, think about it."

He takes Jeongguk's hand and starts leading the way to the parking lot and his car, swinging their hands between them.

"What could it possibly mean when I call you my partner? Are we dating-"

"I mean, yes."

Taehyung smacks the younger's arm with his free hand.

"Hush, I wasn't done yet. Are we dating? Are we robbing a bank? Do we run a legal firm? Are we dedicated detectives who have to share an accomodation for unannounced reasons? Are we running a syndicate together and usually talk gang tactics upon sharing the most expensive cigars? Who the knows? Partner is such a wonderfully shady word."

Jeongguk gives him one of those looks that are b with adoration.

His voice is soft as he asks with a tender little smile,

"Are you done yet?"

It leaves Taehyung dumbstruck.

Seriously, he doubts he will ever get used to that soft side of Jeongguk. Like, ever.

He nods jerkily.

"I, yeah? I guess."

Jeongguk hums, then places an arm at the back of Taehyung's knees and gives it a tug that has Taehyung toppling over. The next moment he finds himself securely held in Jeongguk's arms, the younger carrying him bridal-style to his car.

How on the way to Taehyung's Acura the younger even manages to fetch the keys for the car out of Taehyung's pocket without dropping him or so much as jostling him in his hold, only god knows. But he does. Manages to pull it off effortlessly, it seems. Of course he does. He's Jeon mothering Jeongguk.

Jeongguk rolls his eyes and the older belatedly realizes he may have said the last part out loud.

Oops.

After a 360° look around the parking lot - not that it could be of any help anymore at this point because Taehyung is already dying in Jeongguk's arms - and confirming that nobody else is around, Jeongguk opens one of the back doors and lays Taehyung down on the seat row. Spread out nice and long, all pliant and willing, just for him to see. Just for him to take. 

Jeongguk crawls over Taehyung, tugs the door closed with a foot, and then slowly leans down to meet the older halfway for a deep kiss without any haste.

Taehyung sighs into the younger's mouth.

Stays relaxed for Jeongguk, lets him do just what he wants.

There is not an ounce of hesitation or doubt in him as Jeongguk starts ing first his own shirt, then Taehyung's and pushes it off his arms. Not when Jeongguk is just so damn gentle with him.

For a brief moment Taehyung wonders when exactly the other has become his safe place. 

The thought gets washed away by a slow but unstoppable wave of pleasure rolling all over him.

 

Jeongguk continues to be so gentle with him.

Taehyung can't tell if it's because he worries about Taehyung relapsing or something like that, or if it's a natural development that would've come to be either way. Nevertheless he embraces it, takes everything the younger so readily offers. up each act of kindness and devotion, of blatant love sometimes with the greed of a starved man.

And Jeongguk just... lets him.

Continues giving and giving, as if caring for Taehyung is his most important duty.

Bested only by the exclusive right of endless bickering.

"Can I sign up for new friends please," Minjae whines from where he's squished between Taehyung and Jeongguk.

Baekhyun snickers. "Told you it's a dumb idea to sit between them."

It's enough to make the younger throw a vicious glare at the cackling man. 

"This spot is the one with the best view on the fire place, no way am I giving it up just because of some weakness."

"It's summer and they don't put on a fire there for at least the next four months though?"

Minjae crosses his arms.

"So?! Your point being?"

"That you are dumb, obviously," Baekhyun retorts.

Minjae sneers at him and is just about to open his mouth when he gets cut off by Taehyung.

Oh, right.

Back to why he's regretting his choice of seats - or more importantly, friends.

"The both of you, shut up. We still haven't come to a conclusion on the whole matter, meaning Ggukie still hasn't admitted defeat."

"That's because you're wrong!" Jeongguk bangs a fist on the table. "Your argument is invalid, how the would your body know that it's only half of the drink? It'd obviously run at full speed but burn out faster. You are just too dumb to see it."

"I ing dare you to repeat that last bit."

Oh boy. Taehyung is Not Amused.

He says as much.

"You just can't cope with the fact that I am a genius. Of course when you drink half of a five hour energy drink you would get half the energy for the usual duration. It makes perfect sense, see, because the liquid dissipates in your body after consumption and the sugar starts doing its job but only half-assed, cuz it's only half of the fuel you would need to get the job done. But the time for your body getting rid of all the contents and the effect wearing off would still be the same, obviously."

"You are an idiot, and you are also wrong," Jeongguk declares and turns away from the older.

Taehyung gives a cry of outrage and kicks him under the table.

Jeongguk kicks back. But a lot harder, throwing off Taehyung's balance and making him scramble for hold. He fails spectacularily, one hand dipping in his ramen bowl and knocking it over with a loud clank while the other hand grips Minjae's shirt a little too harshly and pulling him along, sending both men toppling off the bench.

They go down with loud grunts and clatters from the rattled tableware. Everybody in the noodle shop is staring.

ing fantastic.

Taehyung pushes a soup-soaked strand out of his face and gives Jeongguk the stink-eye.

"I ing hate you."

Jeongguk grins. "Aww."

Next to him on the floor, Minjae mutters, "I regret everything."

Taehyung instantly feels bad.

He is quick to forget about his friend when Jeongguk crouches down and offers to help him up. Taehyung wants to take the offered hand but can't, the younger pulling his hand away with a triumphant wink. 

"Admit that I'm right first."

Taehyung huffs.

"You are an . You're Kageyama holding his hands up too high for Hinata to high-five level mean."

Jeongguk just gives him a pointed look, stil crouching down in front of him.

"Boy can jump mad high and easily reach the lad's hands for a high-five if he just wants, idiot."

Huh.

Dammit. That's... actually true.

Taehyung tongues the inside of his cheek.

", wait, gimme some time to come up with a better argument."

"Can't we just call it a truce and stop the madness," Minjae asks with small yet hopeful voice.

They both turn around to the poor boy, Taehyung's hand finding its way into Jeongguk's without his doing.

"No," they both say.

Minjae flops back to the ground.

Baekhyun groans.

Somewhere on their far left, Yugyeom snickers.

"Vive la résistance, baby."

 


Heya guys~

sorry it took me so long to update. I was busy with a commission ( had to paint sth for a family member, so no way for me to say no) but I am done with that particular project now and hopefully will have moretime to write again ^^

Hope ur all doing well. We are currently experiencing some heavy spring storms over here and I can't wait to go to work without getting cramps in my neck from looking up for branches falling down...

Also hope ur still having fun reading this story. I certainly have fun writing~

See ya hopefully soon!