Of long-dead pharaos and not enough middle fingers

Leave the light on (for me)

Kim Taehyung is a smart young man.

He knows when to push his luck and when to listen to the voice of reason - which mostly goes by the name Park Jimin. One of the biggest incidents where he opted for the latter was his change of occupations.

As an all-or-nothing kind of person - everybody can vouch for that being literally his second name, at least he'd like to think so - he did his best and tried to integrate in Crystal Gates. His first real work place, a company selling high-end, custom-made designer doors and gates. Each of them a hand-crafted unicum and worth a fortune. It had sounded pretty cool in theory, him being responsible for the new designs. But of course things are always different in real life.

So here he is, four years later with a bachelor of science and successfully finished training in his pockets, ready to start his first day as web developer at BT Designs. It does have a nice ring to it, that's for sure. 'Web developer'. Very modern, very important, maybe even with a bit of that famous 'je ne sais quoi'. And he is absolutely Not Nervous. It's just a first day, the interview went super smooth, the boss is nice enough, it will be alright. Right? Right.

"Now of course I'm not gonna withhold the initial words reserved for every new employee of mine from you." Kim Namjoon, founder of BT Designs - and now Taehyung's new boss, he supposes - says with a charming smile. He's in the middle of showing Taehyung around on the whole floor, greeting employees left and right as they pass their offices.

They're at the eleventh - tenth? Taehyung needs to check later - floor of one of a many office building, the whole floor belonging to BT Designs. Taehyung is absolutely chill. He's good, he's good, he's good. Peachy. Eleven floors, that's nothing, just a bit more than second floor really, barely a difference and oh- okay there are floor-to-ceiling windows. Yes no okay the ground is far down below. That's a long long way to go. Taehyung discreetly dries his hands at the trousers, steps back to the hallway's center and hurries after the boss who's still going on with his speech.

"It goes without saying that I hope you will get along well with everybody here and find this to be an enjoyable working environment. Of course it takes some time to get used to a new place and everything. So don't worry if things don't go smoothly from the beginning. We are only human, mistakes do happen. Don't beat yourself up too much about it. However," he fully turns towards Taehyung, dimples on display, "I don't think you will have any problems. Given your CV and what I could gather of your personality so far I think it's safe to say you will fit right in."

They stop at the far end of the corridor, where a passageway leads into a small space that holds two more doors. The older male points at the right door.

"This will be your office from now on. I suggest you use the day to get settled. If you need anything, just ask Jeongguk, he's in the office right next to yours and surely will be happy to help."

He knocks on the left door and opens it after a muffled grunt, revealing a young man with dark hair and a big black sweater crouched over his computer, his back to the door. The shutters of his window wall are almost closed all the way.

"Jeongguk-ssi, this is Kim Taehyung-ssi, our new co-worker. He will take the office next to yours. Please give him a hand if he needs help, will you?"

His tone is warm yet stern, leaving no room for arguments.

The other man, Jeongguk, turns his head just enough to give a side-glance to Taehyung and hums, then turns back. He looks around Taehyung's age so the latter makes a mental note to check his age as soon as possible. Honorifics are important and should be valued, that's what his mom taught him.

Before Taehyung can take the chance to properly introduce himself though he's already dragged out on his elbow, his new boss shutting the door with a cheery "Great, I knew I can count on you". As soon as the door is closed again, effectively forming an impenetrable barrier of solid light wood, the older sighs.

"Sorry about that, Taehyung-ssi. He's a quiet fella, that's for sure but a good guy nonetheless. I promise."

He fumbles around a bit, curl of his light blue hair - Taehyung had immediately liked the color - bouncing with the movement, patting several pockets and muttering until pulling out a set of keys from his back pockets. Taehyung has the fleeting thought that his new boss might be a genius but probably a little unorganized or forgetful.

"Here you go, your very own keys. The big one's for the main entrance, the one with the square end for the company entrance and the third one for your office. I'll bring you the paper for signing you received the keys in a minute."

The keys are only a little cold in his hand. Taehyung accepts them with a bow and a 'Thank you'.

His boss offers another smile. "You've already seen the break room, you can take your lunch there or in your office, or you can eat out. Whatever and whenever you prefer, we have no set break times. You got 45 minutes of break time for a day, 60 if you stay longer, and can divide them to your own liking. Part of our philosophy is to make everything fitting for you, this enhances productivity and also is good for your mental health."

As he rattles down everything with confident ease Taehyung can totally see him give speeches and presentations with no problem. It fits the first impression he had of Kim Namjoon, founder of BTD on their website's introduction clip. Easygoing, smart, ambitious, humane. Taehyung smiles.

His boss leans in as if sharing a secret, words just a mumble.

"I recommend not to eat in your office though. Not because I'm afraid you'll get soup on the keyboard, you're a grown man. But because it's better for your subconscious to clearly divide work space and break space so that your mind can actually get some rest during breaks."

Taehyung nods and the other draws back again. Clasps a hand on the younger's shoulder.

"Also, you can call me Namjoon-ssi. I don't fancy being called 'boss' or 'Sir' or something, it only creates unnecessary distance between us."

"Alright. Thank you, Namjoon-ssi." Taehyung tentatively tests out the new name. It feels weird. He can already tell he's gonna have multiple slip-ups and will need time getting used to lowered formalities. Namjoon gives him a wide smile.

"Great. Any questions so far?"

"Yes Si- Namjoon-ssi, what are the usual work times, please?"

"Our core time's from eight to three, no weekends. But of course you are free to arrive as early or stay as late as you want. Just don't push yourself too much, we don't need you to overwork yourself. Other questions?"

"Computer password?"

"Currently disabled so you can setup your own as soon as you switch it on. What else?"

Taehyung purses his lips, then shakes his head with a smile. "That's it for now I guess, thank you."

"You got it." Another pat to his shoulder. "If there are any problems, you know where to find me. Don't be afraid to ask, we are all willing to help out each other so we can make good work, okay?"

With that he finally heads off. Taehyung watches his receding figure and something clicks. Wow, this guy is like, 90 percent just legs. No wonder he could barely keep up with him.

But then. The big moment. He's admittedly a little nervous, downright b with energy as he tries the smallest key and unlocks His New OfficeTM.

It's spacey, bright sunlight flooding in through the huge windows that the whole front and right wall are made of. With two glass walls Taehyung probably got the sunniest office of them all. Cool. And a good view to the long way down. Uhm.

The unmistakable main attraction is the big office desk though, made of light wood as most of the company's furniture, holding two screens, keyboard, a bluetooth mouse (Taehyung squeals a little because he is a big fan of working with as few cables as possible), mouse pad, notebook, writing stuff, you get the idea.

He fully steps into the room and turns on the spot. In the far right corner where both glass walls meet is a huge plant just vibing, one of those standard things with big round shiny leafs but Taehyung never remembers the name. Next to him is a wardrobe and some shelves. Under the desk a dustbin. An empty pinboard sits on the left wall right next to the desk, together with a calendar.

Taehyung smacks his lips, lets his eye wander again, then sets down his bag. Yeah no, he probably won't need more than ten minutes to 'settle in'. Most of what he needs is already there. He'll check out the break room later to see how well-equipped it is. But for now he just needs to find all the free sockets in the room and for the computer to cooperate with him, then all's fine. And he hopefully won't need to bother that Jeongguk guy.

 

Seoul at night is pretty from up high.

Taehyung already knew so much yet he can still appreciate the view - from a fair distance to the looming abyss of course. He yawns and stretches, gazing down to where small lights pass by in the distance. He takes a few deep breathes, lets the atmosphere appeal to him and then gets back to his desk.

After getting cozy with all the pre-installed programs - he knew most of them from university anyway - he sent a short mail to Namjoon and promptly got his first commission, to create a website layout for a new client with Namjoon checking on it once he's done. Taehyung has been at it ever since, determined to get done as much as possible today. It's his first day thus he needs to make a good first impression. He probably would've stayed overtime anyway.

He's just getting ready to pick up where he left, knuckles cracking after he drained his tea cup - yes they do have a whole two electric kettles here so he doesn't need to bring one from home - when, without any kind of warning the room goes dark.

Taehyung yelps, scrambles for the switch, the two screens switched to energy-saving mode and the city lights from outside barely providing enough light for him to make out shapes. His hands sweep over the wall to his left, up and down, movements slowly growing frantic. His brain jumps from one realization to the next, from 'Oh gosh I'm so glad the walls are smooth here and not like back at school where at least every second day someone cut their hands on the spikey plaster' to 'Please don't let this be a blackout, please don't let this be a blackout' and then getting bizarre like 'What if, with electricity gone, the windows all fall out and so do I?'.

With his mind racing a mile a minute his palms turn clammy, breathing going faster.

And it's only then Taehyung realizes there is no light switch in his room. .

He finds the door and opens it, cursing under his breath. Immediately light from the corridor starts flooding in and he squints against the bright attack. There's some movement next to him. Taehyung owlishly blinks at the figure, watches Jeongguk pulling his office door shut and freezing mid-movement, features going a little slack. They stare at each other, Taehyung still struggling to adjust to the rapid changes from light to dark and back. And Jeongguk, well, he has no idea how to read his expression. Maybe shock would be a safe bet.

"...Oh," Jeongguk finally says, ever so eloquently.

"Yeah," Taehyung agrees.

Jeongguk is still eyening him weirdly but slowly pushes open his door, reaches around the door frame and-

"What the hell." It slipped out before Taehyung could stop himself.

Because behind him, Taehyung's office light flickers back to life. It takes him maybe five seconds of whipping his head back and forth between his own room and Jeongguk's still outstretched hand to connect the dots. Then he groans. A big systemic error dawns on him.

"Oh. Oh no. Your light switch is not your light switch but our light switch."

Jeongguk nods slowly. As if that's supposed to be common knowledge. Then he clears his throat.

"So you're still here."

Taehyung rests his head against the wall between both doors with a soft thud and closes his eyes. This is going to be so much trouble. He knows, he can feel it in his bones. Because if Jeongguk is not as much of a workaholic than him, they will have this problem every single night from now on.

"But I liked this place so far, why why why," he chants, too quietly for anybody to hear.

Jeongguk is still staring and Taehyung takes it as his cue to stop for today and gather his belongings. Dissatisfaction brewing in his stomach. He was not ing done yet! Jeongguk waits until he's out of his office, then switches off the lights again. With a barely there "Bye" he stalks past Taehyung and down the abandoned corridor.

Taehyung rubs his eyes.

What have I gotten myself into?

 

"So why do I not have an own light switch?"

Taehyung is a very chill person usually, the embodiment of a social butterfly. But something, just something irks him about that Jeongguk guy. Who didn't even greet him, not abiding to the most basic rules of politeness. Who didn't apologize for letting him sit in the dark. And who seems to be overall annoyed with Taehyung's whole existence which is just. Rude.

"Because."

Taehyung's eye twitches. It's only day two and the guy already managed to get under his skin. ing fantastic. So what if he maybe raises his voice just a little bit as he stands there right next to Jeongguk, invading his space until he gets what he wants: a proper answer.

"Oh no, don't give me that. You're going to give me an actual explanation now." And because Taehyung is not Jeongguk - he knows his manners thank you very much - he adds a "Please" for good measure.

Jeongguk huffs and resumes his typing on the computer. After what feels like five minutes he glances at Taehyung.

"You're still here."

"No ," Taehyung deadpans.

More silence, more typing, then a groan.

Jeongguk's not meeting his eyes as he leans back in the chair and crosses his arms. Makes a point of not looking at Taehyung but the screen.

"Okay, look, this used to be one big office but a while ago they decided to divide it into two smaller rooms and thought just putting a wall in the middle and adding a second door is all it takes. Which apparently is wrong. But so far it's not been an issue." He turns to lock eyes with Taehyung at least but there is nothing friendly in his stare.

"Are you going to make it an issue?"

And now Taehyung is not dense. He knows a threat when he hears one. However, that doesn't mean he lets himself being talked to like that. So he squares up, levels an equally unfriendly look at the other.

"If you keep making me sit in the dark, then yes."

Jeongguk has the audacity to roll his eyes. The disrespect! Speaking of which-

"Alright, change of topic, let me introduce myself properly," Taehyung says with a saccharine smile. Better late than never get the introduction done. And establish some lines. "My name is Kim Taehyung, I'm a Capricorn and born in December 1995. I'm working as a web developer here from now on. Here's to a successful cooperation."

He stretches out his hand and waits until Jeongguk begrudgingly shakes it from where he's seated. The silence stretches and soon gets awkward again until Taehyung raises an eyebrow.

"Well?"

"Well what?"

"How about you?"

Jeongguk pushes his tongue into his cheek and says nothing. But it's okay, Taehyung can wait. The other will soon enough learn that he can be very persistent if he wants something.

Indeed Jeongguk seems to come to the same realization. He's back to crossing his arms as he answers.

"Jeon Jeongguk, born September 1997. Happy?"

"Very. That makes me your hyung, then."

Jeongguk snorts.

"I'm not gonna call you hyung."

"We'll see about that."

"No we won't. I worked here longer than you, I was here first and I am the one with the light switch so there. Also Namjoon-hyung loves me." He grins victoriously.

Tough luck. Taehyung is not impressed.

"Right, the light switch. The reason why I'm here. Couldn't you - please - leave the light on when you leave?"

"No? The light would burn all night, a waste of energy and money. Didn't you get the memo that our company is sustainable and environment-friendly and all that? So, me leaving the light on all night? I think not."

"I can just switch it off when I'm done."

Jeongguk leans back to take him in like he's some dumb kid or something. Taehyung may or may ot want to slap him.

"In a matter of fact, you can't. We all have to lock up our office for the night as I'm sure Namjoon-hyung told you."

"Then lend me your key."

Taehyung knows he sounds ridiculous but he's slowly getting desperate. Jeongguk confirms it as he actually laughs at him.

"What, no? I don't know you. Why would I give you the key to my office, huh?"

"Okay if you don't want the light to burn all night and to give me your key, then just stay a little longer?"

Taehyung knows it's a lost cause before the words are even out.

"I'm already staying at least two hours longer than most people here. Nobody is forcing you to spend the night at the office. Besides, I do have a private life. Why should I play babysitter and wait for you to be ready to go home?"

His voice is flat as he reasons and it's clear Taehyung won't reach anything today.

"Fine," he snaps, "have it your way then."

And storms out of the room.

Five minutes later he remembers Namjoon's words about getting along with everybody. He curses. Does that mean he needs to apologize?

 

He ends up not apologizing.

 

The next days follow a certain pattern, Taehyung trying to beat Jeongguk on coming early for no specific reason, making himself some tea and then pestering the younger about the light switch. Jeongguk, the little menace, doesn't budge.

Luckily for Taehyung, there are a lot of other employees who are not rude s. He's taken to go to the break room for a late tea break around five and chatting up whoever else is there at the moment. At the end of the first week he finds himself close to Byun Baekhyun, a bubbly young man who is just a few years older and responsible for representing the company, be it at the reception desk, interviews or presentations and Kim Minjae who Taehyung still doesn't believe is a whole year younger than him because that kid is a brilliant multi talent.

The three of them have hit it off instantly after one of these 'I'm here since the first hour, I built this institution with my bare hands  and I need everyone to know that' guys has made a comment about too many Kims being here now. To which Minjae had looked completely lost but Baekhyun's head had swiveled around to Taehyung, throwing him a beaming smile and exclaiming "You must be Kim Taehyung then, I'm so excited to meet you!". Effectively silencing the baby boomer.

They made it their goal to meet up for lunch and make Taehyung familiar with good places to eat in the area. Which is great for three reasons: Taehyung can explore the culinary possobilities of this part of the city, he gets to spend time with his new friends and he can avoid Jeongguk completely. Because Mr. Rudey Mc rude eats alone in his room, hopefully -Taehyung is not petty - sulking in his lonesomeness. And if he does not, Jeongguk rather joins another group of people around Kim Yugyeom and Kim Mingyu than Taehyung's own small but growing circle of friends. Which is absolutely fine, really, more than fine.

"They call themselves the 97 liners, because they are all born in the same year," Minjae indulges Taehyung over a bowl of delicious ramen. He might be the youngest and quietest out of the three of them but he's got all the gossip. Which, awesome!

Next to him, Baekhyun nods eagerly. "Yeah it's like an exclusive club within the company. Weird."

Taehyung blinks, stores away that bit of information. "Okay...?"

From the both of them he also learned the middle-aged man who made a comment about 'too many Kims in the company' is called Mr. Baek and considers himself third in command despite nobody having said that, ever.

They chatter about this and that, Minjae and Baekhyun doing their best to get Taehyung up to date about all the company gossip there is and ever was until they need to get back to the office, hastily slurping down the last bit of soup and already making plans where to eat next.

"Ohmygod, we have to go to Sapori Veri with you, they make just the best ricotta and porcini ravioli on the whole planet I swear," Baekhyun gushes all the way back to their workplace, Minjae nodding along. Taehyung easily agrees.

And just like that they are back, Baekhyun slipping behind the reception desk with a last cheery wave, Minjae branching off to another corridor for all the employees of the sales and promotion team and Taehyung walking and walking to the end of the hallway, slipping into his office before Jeongguk can notice him through the open door.

 

As nice as it is to have his own office and work on his own projects, Taehyung can't do his work completely on his own. Sadly. And because Jeongguk and him kinda share a room anyway, Namjoon saw it fit to make them partners from the second day on for whenever one of them needs something. Which, not so great. Because Taehyung is still lowkey mad at Jeongguk for not even trying to find a compromise for the light switch problem.

But because Taehyung is creative by default he already came up with a hilarious way to get back at the younger. And that is educated mockery.

Whenever he sees Jeongguk's number on his display - which he by now has memorized because of course he has and also it's not like there are many other people calling him anyway - he answers the phone calls with historically inaccurate names. If he made a list to be prepared for the next of Jeongguk's calls, then nobody needs to know. And if there has been a need for that list in the first place because the two of them might be one wall apart but they are not just knocking at each other's door to talk about whatever is the matter at hand directly then that's nobody's business too.

He's just working on his latest interface project when his phone goes off. His hand twitches to the list but in that split-second Taehyung decides he's actually smart enough to not need it and come up with something fitting right off the bat.

"Stained-glass window delivery Djoser, how can I be of help?"

There is a short break and Taehyung silently celebrates his victory already.

"...That's at least 3000 years off, dude."

Taehyung lets the 'dude' slide this time, being more impressed by the fact Jeongguk seems to know who Djoser was. Not that he'd ever admit it out loud.

"So what? Anyway, what is it?"

"Check the mail I sent you."

"Who says I didn't already?"

"The fact I wrote for you to answer me as soon as you opened the file attached, duh."

Taehyung flips off the wall between them and hangs up on the younger. Smartass. He's officially done being impressed by the other's historical knowledge.

 

A few hours and three rejected coffees later - Taehyung is touched by Minjae's kindness but he just really doesn't like coffee, like, at all - the inevitable happens. He is in the middle of coding when the light turns off.

He continues to type in darkness until he gets to a point where he doesn't need to do everything from scratch tomorrow. Then he fumbles to turn off everything and blindly grabs his trusty barrel bag, mood worsening by the second.

Jeongguk is leaning against his own office door and tapping his foot as Taehyung emerges from his office. He sends a glare at the younger.

"I wasn't born with enough middle fingers to raise at you right now."

Jeongguk just rolls his eyes and pushes himself off the door.

"See you tomorrow, Kim."

Taehyung splutters.

That's peak rudeness right here, that is.