Of laser tag and unexpected reunions.

Leave the light on (for me)

"I see," Namjoon hums once Taehyung finished his speech. "I'll give the both of you the two days off."

Taehyung is already getting into a thankful bow but Namjoon raises his hand and cuts him off.

"Ah, ah. You'll only get the days off under one condition. The both of you need to accompany me somewhere this weekend. No questions asked."

"Uhm." Taehyung blinks. "...Okay?"

"Good, that's settled then. I'll text Jeongguk the details. That's everything, Taehyung-ssi."

With a satisfied nod, the boss waves him out of his office.

Taehyung leaves with a sense of uncertainty. Just what does boss want them to do?

Every step away from the boss office feels like one step into uncertainity.

The things he is ready to do for love, really. All just for a good birthday present.

 

"Uhhh... not to doubt you sense of direction, but."

Taehyung cranes his neck to get a better look at the shabby hall - a large, flat building with only some big windows close to the door - built smack-dab in the middle of nowhere. Surrounded by what seems to be a huge parking lot that fades out into mud and rubble.

This place would probably make a good spot for murder.

At least it's the middle of the day. And everyone knows murders only happen at night. Time to be thankful for the little things.

Right?

He turns back around to give Jeongguk the at least third doubting look ever since they got out of the car.

"Are you really sure this is the right place?"

"Yes, I followed hyung's instructions to the T."

But with how he furrows his eyebrows and gnaws at his lips, fingers flying over the smartphone screen, Jeongguk doesn't look half as convincing as he's trying to sound.

Brooding though, yes.

Namjoon instructed them to dress dark and show as few skin as possible (in the middle of summer, nonetheless - Taehyung and his cholineric allergy are not amused), and Jeongguk almost looks as unapproachable as back when they first met. When Taehyung thought him to be intimidating. Good old times.

"Do you think boss wants us to help him rob a bank in this attire?"

Jeongguk scoffs.

Oh yeah, seems like it's Throwback Thursday alright. The younger has been scoffing and judging Taehyung a lot in these first weeks.

"Would need a bank for that, no?"

Huh. Okay, fair point.

Casting another wary look over the deserted area Taehyung has to admit that maybe his idea was a bit far-fetched.

Unless...

Unless this is their secret meeting point and not the final destination!

*Insert a meme of Sokka doing his job as detective here, please.*

But still, Namjoon could have given them at least a few more instructions so they wouldn't have to stand here and wait for him while slowly melting their asses off.

Taehyung is just about to come to the conclusion their boss has pranked them - which would be the plot twist of the century, because seriously? Kim Namjoon and pranks? Or anything unjust ever? - when an all too familiar glaring red and sleek Mercedes sedan rounds the building and rolls over to where they are waiting.

Jeongguk's eyes almost bulge out of his sockets.

"What in the ever-loving ?"

Taehyung is inclined to agree. Because if that car is here, then that means a certain hyung is not far. And that in itself spells trouble.

The two of them watch silently, dread hanging around them as they still don't know what they're even here for, how two car doors swing open. Revealing a properly shaken Namjoon stumbling from the co-driver's seat, followed by an already annoyingly confident Seokjin.

Jeongguk inhales sharply.

"That door alone is probably more worth than my life", he whispers.

Taehyung can only swallow. He didn't know he'd have to prepare for the headache that is Seokjin on cloudy weekends.

"Would you look at that," Seokjin snides with a glare up to the sky, "so much gorgeousness on display with me having left the house, yet there is not a single sunray out to grace this face. Scandalous."

Ah, yes. One of the two default modes of one Taehyung's good friend: the incorrigible diva. It's either that, or protective mother hen. Nothing in between. 

Lately the eldest has been in his mother hen role with Taehyung often enough that the younger forgot just how insufferable his hyung tends to be if he goes all Prom Queen.

On that note... why is he even here?

Taehyung doesn't get to ask before Seokjin decides to continue his rant.

"Aish Namjoon-ah, I thought this was supposed to be a date, why are my honey bear and the pest here too? I don't think you've quite understood the concept of dates yet. Especially if we didn't agree on a double-date beforehand."

Jeongguk's whole expression turns sour as he listens to the chef going off.

"Did he just call me a pest."

"Shouldn't you be used to that nickname thanks to Jim-Jams by now?" Taehyung mutters back.

Jeongguk stomps on his foot until Taehyung pulls back with a grimace.

While Seokjin keeps complaining and rummages through the trunk of his car, Namjoon has finally mastered himself and pulls his two employees out of hearing range.

"Listen here, I've invited Jinnie for a round of laser tag but I never played it and am going to be at it. You two are here to make me not look like a pathetic fool. Consider this as extra hours, if you want. Which one of you is better at laser tag?"

Taehyung and Jeongguk both raise their hands. Then glare at each other.

Truth be told, they haven't played laser tag together yet. But there is no way Taehyung is going to lose. He knows his qualities.

And Jeongguk is going to go down today.

Namjoon for starters seems to underestimate Taehyung, as he pats Jeongguk's shoulder and declares, "Alright. Jeongguk-ah, you're with me. I trust you to lead us to victory."

Jeongguk nods solemnly.

Taehyung shakes his head and crosses his arms. He squints at the younger.

"In your ing dreams."

"Oh? You're on."

That cocky little smirk is enough to drive Taehyung up the wall.

He stalks off and grabs Seokjin's arm to pull him towards what must be the laser tag arena.

"Let's go hyung, we've got a war to win!"

After a brief moment of confusion, Seokjin starts to grin somewhat sinister.

"Sounds good to me."

 

The next surprise is awaiting them behind the entrance doors, sitting in a lounge area as if they own the place.

"What-"

Taehyung gapes. How in the fresh hell?

"What are you doing here?!"

 Jimin gives him the most angelic smile, topped with fluttering eyelashes.

"Aw, Tae-Tae, aren't you happy to see me?"

Taehyung stiffens.

Depending on which team Jimin will be at, his presence is going to be either a huge boost or complete damnation for him. Because Taehyung and Jimin - they know each other's ins and outs. Are familiar with their habits and thought pattern. And maybe it's not laser tag what they've been playing countless times, but. Jimin is ruthless. And if he ends up in the opposite team he's gonna be Taehyung's worst nightmare.

Here is to praying.

The door goes again and it takes exactly two seconds for Jeongguk to notice Jimin sprawled over the couch. (Not that Taehyung's been counting.)

"Oh, c'mon, not that one," the youngster groans.

Jimin sends him a flying kiss.

Taehyung doesn't know who to feel more sorry for, if Jimin gets on Namjoon's team - his boyfriend, or himself.

"Yo."

The second figure on the couch leans forward, voice snarky as ever. His eyes razor-sharp as he squints at Jeongguk.

"Be civil, kid."

They both gasp.

Taehyung is too perplexed to come up with anything to say, but next to him - already pressed into his side again, with entwined hands crushed between them, different teams be damned - Jeongguk blurts, "Hyung?"

Yoongi keeps quiet but pointedly places a hand on Jimin's thigh.

And yeah, seems like Jeongguk got the memo this time. His jaw drops to the floor. A look of betrayal flits over his face.

"What, him?!"

Taehyung shakes almost violently with the force of surpressed laughter. For Jeongguk to find out that his nemesis/friend by proxy is affiliated with the hyung he's met once and promptly declared to the coolest person alive must be a shock.

Jimin takes it as the insult it obviously is, but gives it a 360° turn, sly grin already tugging at his lips.

"Why, jealous?"

Jeongguk splutters.

"Why would I ever be jealous of you, you ing garden gnome-"

"Oi, you having a death wish, kid?"

Just when Yoongi makes to get up and bring carnage, it clicks what's been the thing subconsciously bothering Taehyung ever since seeing his friends.

"How did you get here?"

There hasn't been a second car when they arrived. The city is what feels like miles away and he knows for a fact that Yoongi would never walk such a distance ever.

"Yoongles gave me a lift with his big bike," Jimin crows with delight.

And uh-oh, is the mighty Min Yoongi blushing? Aww. 

But more importantly,

"There was no bike!"

Jimin snickers. "He left it in the woods behind the arena."

"I needed to pee," the blond hacker states with blank expression, 100% serious.

What a load of bull. And so typical.

Taehyung raises an eyebrow. 

"There literally are toilets in here."

Yoongi shrugs. 

"There's people."

"No, there are not-"

Taehyung looks around and halts mid-turn, as he comes eye to eye with a tall woman behind the counter. She gives him a polite smile. Has she been there all the time? Oh god. Someone please dig him a hole to hide in right now.

Jeongguk on the other hand seems to have a completely different issue with her presence.

"Wait, how did you get here?!"

He points at the woman.

Her smile widens almost predatorily.

"I jogged."

The incredulous look on Jeongguk's face shifts to one of awe. Taehyung feels a zap of proudness. His man clearly drank up on his daily respect for woman juice.

In the meantime, Seokjin has cashed in his mandatory tight greeting hug from Jimin and given a respectful nod to Yoongi.

"Thank you for the invite, I bet we're gonna have sooo much fun," Jimin chirps.

And that explains that. Seems like their boss told Seokjin to bring two more people so they have the minimum number of players for an intense round of laser tag.

"Alright, sure, sure, no biggie, that's all great but can we start now? I was promised a good time," Seokjin ushers them towards the dressing area.

Namjoon instantly sidles up to his side and nods, eager to please.

Taehyung almost chokes on a laugh. He's never seen their boss like that. Almost... submissive. Very un-boss-like. Hm.

"Of course. Let me just check everything with the staff and then we should be good to go, yes?"

Seokjin nods and makes a shooing motion that their boss instantly follows. As soon as he's got his back turned to the older, a little smile plays around Seokjin's lips. He turns his head and catches the knowing look Taehyung gives him. Seokjin rolls his eyes.

Taehyung grins.

Sneaky, sneaky.

Seems like someone else here caught feelings.

He gives a subtle squeeze to Jeongguk's hand, tries to steer his attention to what he just found out. Jeongguk turns around and gives him just a questioning look. Taehyung taps against his wrist.

'Namjin'.

The younger furrows his eyebrows before his expression evens out and his mouth shapes an 'o'.

A few moments later, Namjoon is back with a nervous smile.

"Okay, time to get going."

 

"This is horrible," Taehyung mutters as he watches Jimin dash off with a Cheshire grin, right behind Namjoon and Jeongguk.

Seokjin cackles.

"Oh, you are about to get destroyed~"

"We are on the same team, . If I get destroyed, you go with me."

Well. That is enough to have the older cursing under his breath. 

Taehyung rubs his nose and takes a deep breath. 

"Hyungs, we need a plan. And a good one." 

 

"!"

The sensor of Yoongi's vest goes of with a loud beep. Behind one of the barricades, Jeongguk cheers loudly. 

Yoongi curses again, then turns around to bark at Taehyung. 

"Weren't you supposed to cover me? What the , Taehyung?!"

"Sorry hyung, I'm a little bit busy over here," Taehyung grits out as he dodges the rapid shots of Jimin and tries his best to deliver in his own rights. 

He almost hits Jimin but the other is fast enough to duck behind the pillar. A high-pitched whoop drowns out the shooting noises.  

Taehyung scowls.

What a ing nuisance.

He scoots back behind the obstacle and crouches down next to his hyungs. 

"Come on, time for some counterplotting. Remember the target close behind that triangle obstacle on the map?"

It was supposed to be a rhetorical question but Yoongi seems not to get the memo.

"Uh, no?"

Taehyung sighs. Sometimes it's easy to forget that his memory is apparently better than average. Good thing he's on their team, huh?

He gets up and gives a quick glance through the hole of the wall covering them, then crouches back down as he doesn't see anyone of the other team approaching.

"Okay. Try to imagine the map. We are currently close to the lower right corner, yeah?"

A double nod is his answer.

"Cool. That target I'm talking about should be behind the next obstacle in that direction-" he points over Yoongi's shoulder- "and left from the pillar. I wanna try to get there, take out the target and then rush to that one high wall where I think the boss must be hiding. I lead, you give me covering fire. Good?"

Another round of grim nods. Taehyung claps his hands.

"Good. Let's go. Be quick."

After one last glance around the corner, they dash off, Taehyung blindly trusting his memory and not paying much attention to all the other obstacles around them, with his hyungs hot on his heels. He can hear Yoongi's laser pistol going off relentlessly behind him, accompanied by a string of curses. 

It takes maybe two seconds for Jeongguk and Jimin to answer fire. Taehyung tenses.

That's one way to make sure your opponent knows where you are. 

Eyes fixated on the triangular wall, he keeps going. Slinks around the corner, looking for that familiar-

Ah, yep. 

There it is.

He his gun, aims at the blinking circle and gives three clear shots. The sensors of the target go off with a tirade of loud beeps and some furious blinking.

Taehyung grins.

Behind his back, Yoongi is still spouting foul words. With a fond eye-roll Taehyung taps his shoulder and signals to the high wall, then makes eye contact with Seokjin who gives him an okay sign with his free hand.

And off they go.

Namjoon doesn't even know what's getting to him as they round the wall and start shooting at his sensors. He falls on his , caught off guard, and gapes up at them.

Taehyung already wants to crow in victory. If it keeps going like that, they easily can take the boss as hostage and shoot his sensors to cash in more points every time they regenerate-

Wait. His job was to make Namjoon look good. If Taehyung takes him hostage instead, will he get fired? 

Think, Taehyung, think quickly...

The whole idea goes up in smoke once Jeongguk and Jimin enter the scene side-to-side and let off a whole storm of eye-piercing laser shots. Taehyung's eyes widen.

"! Retreat, retreat-"

He doesn't get any further. Jeongguk is already charging at him like a bull gone mad.

Taehyung turns around and does the only thing possible: he runs. Zig-zags through the arena as fast as he can while still staying in a crouched position, hurtling around a pillar and towards a wall. 

A few feet away, laser guns are going off rapidly, with curses flying through the air just as fast.

.

He just abandoned his team.

And what about Jeongguk?

Pressed closely against the wall, he peeks around a corner. Nothing. No angry muscle mountain charging at him, no fast approaching lights. There are only the edges of the obstacles faintly glowing in the darkness and the muddled noises of a still ongoing match somewhere further at the back.

Taehyung breathes.

And almost chokes at the arm wrapping around his waist and pulling him back behind the wall.

"Wha-what-"

Jeongguk cuts him off with a push against the wall an a rough kiss pressed against his lips.

Taehyung is too perplexed to fight him off. For a moment he just stands there and lets himself be squashed against the wall. Then his mouth falls open and Jeongguk takes it as opportunity to dive in, into his mouth and taste him with the intensity of a breaking wave. A burning knot of lust drops in his stomach, sending a scorching wave of heat through his whole body. He shudders.

Jeongguk hums in satisfaction and just plunges in deeper. Doesn't give Taehyung an opportunity to collect himself, or even respond to the kiss as he buries one hand in Taehyung's hair and gives a rough tug, somewhat hot, somewhat mean.

Without given a chance to match the pace, Taehyung can only stay there and take what Jeongguk dishes out.

"Yah!"

Jimin hollers a few paces to their right. Taehyung stiffens.

"Stop face and get the job done already, !"

And just as abruptly as it started, their make-out session ends. Jeongguk pulls away, gives one last dark look to Taehyung, even recognizable in the barely-there light and then lifts his gun. Gives one shot right at Taehyung's chest sensor and watches with a satisfied smirk how his whole vest turns dark. Then turns around and stalks off.

Taehyung is ing reeling, man.

He only snaps out of his stupor once Jimin's familiar cackle registers to his ears but by that time, Jeongguk is long since gone.

Taehyung wipes his mouth and sneers. 

That was ing fool play is what it was!

His sensors blink back to life. Not too far away, he can still hear Jimin snigger. He takes a deep breath and charges after the sound.

This match has just gotten personal.

 

"Aw, don't be a sore loser, Tae," Jeongguk coos.

Taehyung pulls his arm away from the other's touch with a scowl. He's not going to accept that ty excuse. Not with how blatantly obvious the teasing look is on the younger's face.

"Don't touch me," he hisses. "You cheated. If you'd played fair, we would have won."

In front of him, Jimin snorts.

"Yeah, sure."

"Park Jimin, you better shut the up, or I'm going to show Yoongi hyung all the pictures from your twentieth birthday."

Jimin freezes and Taehyung almost walks into him. Then he turns around.

"You wouldn't dare!"

Taehyung gives him an unimpressed look. "Oh? Wanna test that theory?"

"Kim Taehyung, you little er-"

In that moment, Yoongi rounds the corner. Jimin bolts back from where he was just about to strangle his best friend and skips over to the blond with the most innocent smile. Takes his jacket and bag from Yoongi who's gone ahead to fetch Jimin's and his stuff from the locker and slides up to the older with a cheery "Thank you, hyung!"

Jeongguk and Taehyung watch the whole scene unfold from a save distance, the latter with crossed arms.

"Yeah no, I call fake," Jeongguk mutters.

Taehyung has to agree.

Park Jimin and innocent cinnamon roll? How laughable. But somehow he's got the feeling, Yoongi wouldn't believe what an actual hell spawn the model is, not even if Taehyung made a full- PowerPoint presentation and laid out all the proof.

Jimin gets into his biker jacket and for a moment Taehyung's sulking is cut short in favor of begrudgingly admiring the visuals his friend dishes out. Because Jimin looks unfairly good in tight leather, that's for sure. Even Namjoon, who's been trailing behind them together with Seokjin notices it.

"Wow, Jimin-ssi, did you ever think of becoming a model with that look of yours?"

Taehyung can't help the fond little huff. Seems like their boss has been completely unaware that he's been on a team with South Korea's most popular male model, a true celebrity. Bless his heart.

Jimin gives him an inquisite look and his head.

"I am a model, you know."

Namjoon blinks.

"Huh?"

But before Jimin can properly reveal just who he really is, Seokjin cuts in with a deft smack to Namjoon's arm.

"Yah, the only one you're supposed to find attractive is me, you moron! Stop drooling at my dongsaeng, you hear me?"

Taehyung has to bite his lip very hard to not burst out into laughter. From the corner of his eye he can see Jeongguk doing the same thing.

In a vain attempt to change the topic, he says,

"Hyung, you never told me you've got a motorbike."

The effect is instant, Jeongguk's whole expression lighting up, Jimin giving a very smug grin and Yoongi shutting off in the way he always does when he becomes the center of attention.

"You never asked."

"What kind of bull answer is that-"

"Ohmygod, can I see, can I see?!"

Jeongguk is all but bouncing on the spot, hands clapping in tiny.

.

Taehyung gulps.

, he's so cute when he gets excited.

Yoongi too looks a bit thrown by that untypical side of the youngest. With a shrug and a grunt he turns away to bring back the locker keys and then makes to leave the building. Jimin following him like a shadow.

"Do whatever you want."

Jeongguk doesn't need to be told twice.

Taehyung has barely time to bid a quick goodbye to his boss and his hyung before he's got to run after his boyfriend, afraid that Jeongguk will simply get on the bike and drive off instead of getting back into the car. He's a verified adrenaline junkie after all.

Luckily Yoongi is far from letting that happen, cutting off Jeongguk's excited rambling with a decisive 'no'.

Taehyung is too far away to actually hear anything as he leans against his Acura - excuse him for not driving a bike, he likes safety - but the gestures, the way Jeongguk's face first lights up more and more with every wild arm movement and his mouth running a mile an hour, and how after a clipped head shake from Yoongi his whole expression falls... well, it doesn't make it hard to guess what's going on.

And of course Jimin is still there too. Giving Jeongguk a hard time but veiling his words in dripping saccharine while Yoongi is around, no doubt. The impressive pout Jeongguk starts to sport once Jimin closes his mouth is visible even from that distance. And sure enough, with a last wistful look at the black and what looks like gold (?) bike that honestly isn't that well hidden in the woods, Jeongguk comes trotting over to Taehyung.

Taehyung smiles a little. 

The whole scene went absolutely in character. He didn't even have to try that hard to guess what would happen next. Almost like reading a good book for the second time where you already roughly know what happens next but still like reading it again.

And it makes Taehyung wonder.

Has Jeongguk become more predictable or has Taehyung gotten to know him so much better? He selfishly wants to believe it's the latter.

Before Jeongguk can reach the car completely, Namjoon gestures for Taehyung to come over.

He's got a warm smile on his face that has Taehyung hope he's done a good job at 'making him look good in front of Seokjin'. And that he'll get the a-okay for their time off.

Indeed the smile widens once Taehyung is in speaking range. Seokjin is already sitting in his flashy red car, and Jeongguk waits over at Taehyung's. So the two of them, boss and employee, have something like privacy. 

"Thank you for coming, Taehyung-ssi. You've done me a big favor today, Jinnie had a great time."

Hope blooms in Taehyung.

Maybe it's a little bit stupid because it's 'just' a few days off and he's being overly dramatic. Wouldn't be the first time. But this is about Jeongguk's birthday and he wants it to be perfect. Is that too much to ask?

"Of course, Namjoon-ssi, anytime."

Namjoon nods. Then scratches his head sheepishly.

"Also, I hope you didn't take my words too much to heart, Of course I would've given you the days off no matter how today would've gone."

And, yeah. Taehyung may be gaping at him like a dumb fish.

Maybe he should've known better than to assume his boss would actually withhold giving them a small impromptu vacation.

In hindsight it's probably been one of his dumbest thoughts ever.

Namjoon's sheepish look grows only more prominent.

"Oh, so you did think I would make my empty threat real? Aish, Taehyung-ssi." He laughs, and Taehyung laughs with him. It's that contagious. "Sorry about that. It wasn't my intention to make you worry, really."

"...Oh."

Yeah now he feels stupid alright.

Namjoon gives a clap to his shoulders, then wishes him a good weekend after a loud honk from an increasingly impatient getting Seokjin.

Taehyung bows in direction of the Mercedes and doesn't even try to hide his wide grin. Then he turns around to get to his own car.

On his way back, Taehyung gives a tiny fist-pump.

Victory!

In a few weeks, Jeongguk and him are going to Toronto!

He just hopes the younger has no problem with long flights.