Of cursed cakes and birthday presents

Leave the light on (for me)

"Happy ing Birthday."

"Hyung," Taehyung hisses through gritted teeth, "this is not how you congratulate someone to their birthday."

Yoongi gives him a bland once-over. "It's got 'happy' and 'birthday' in it, I don't see your problem."

"And where did the '' come from in your sentence just now, huh?"

An indifferent shrug. "What do I know? Magic. Now stop ing around and be a good host, will ya? We all hauled here just because you told us to."

Taehyung's eyes go wide, head whipping around to Jeongguk. But there is nothing to be done, the damage already took place.

"You- you were not supposed to say that! Moron." 

He only whispers the last word. Because despite what others might think, Kim Taehyung is not insane.

Sure enough, a side-glance to Jeongguk shows the younger slightly gaping. He's not quite there yet with piecing everything together but it can't take much longer than a few more-

Jeongguk's eyes go big.

"You organized a surprise party for me?!"

Taehyung gulps.

"Uhm."

"Yes," Seokjin quips this time. "And he made all of us come, too."

Taehyung rolls his eyes. "Oh c'mon, cut that bull. It was literally your idea once I told you why exactly I couldn't come to your dinner party yesterday. And Jiminie, don't give me the nasty look treatment. We all know you've got a soft spot for Gguk by now and are just acting all tough-"

The expression on both Jimin's and Jeongguk's face turns incredulous in similar ways.

"What?!"

There sure is more than enough indignation in that one word shrieked by the two of them to last Taehyung for a whole month. He sighs.

Dramatic ers.

"-and Yoongi-hyung I didn't even have to ask. He wanted to come all on his own. So now that we established all that, could you please let me in my home already?"

Jimin and Seokjin cross their arms but step aside with twin frowns. Yoongi stays rooted to the spot with that abomination of a birthday cake still outstretched until Jeongguk gets the cue and takes the plate from him. No sooner are they allowed access to the apartment.

Pardon Taehyung for wanting to set foot home.

Inside, everything certainly looks the part of a proper birthday party.

With numerous colorful garlands spanning from wall to wall in the hallway, hanging a lot lower than the high ceiling and thus turning it into some kind of archway. Jimin has woven glow sticks into the garlands here and there. Later when it's dark and they turn off the light it will probably look like a cheesy lover's cave. (Taehyung is sooo going to drag Jeongguk here for some kissing later, never mind they'll have an audience.)

The floor is covered with confetti, Taehyung doesn't even have an idea how many bags that were. But as he gets out of his shoes, he doesn't feel the cool surface of his marble floor. It's like walking on a thick blanket of fake snow. And from every piece of furniture hangs at least one of these inflatable curly paper ribbon thingies.

A look around the corner reveals balloons that spell out 'Happy Birthday' along the kitchen island. One of the 'P'-shaped ones has gotten away and is now sticking to the ceiling just shy off the chandelier, but got replaced by a spare. Behind the neatly lined up letter balloons, the kitchen island has turned into a make-shift taco bar. It looks even better than the picture Taehyung sent to their group chat but then again, he has a star chef as his friend. Of course Seokjin wouldn't let himself be outranked by a Pinterest picture.

His cabinet with all the good alcohol looks fuller than when they left, too. Seems someone stocked up here. But the best part are the dozens of led helium balloons  covering the entire ceiling of the living room. It looks so cool. Honestly, Taehyung can't wait for the sun to set.

All the while, through his speaker system songs from the nineties are filling the whole apartment. Not necessarily their tea, but it's the birth decade of all of them and most importantly of Jeongguk, so.

Taehyung smiles.

Jimin can complain all he wants but at the end of the day he's never let go an opportunity to decorate for a party yet. And seeing how they are practically wading through a thick layer of confetti (oh god, this is going to be such a to clean up), Taehyung would say his friend sure had fun.

Jeongguk trots after him with his Cake Of Doom and strays off to the kitchen counter. Seokjin already has a big kitchen knife in hand. Which in itself is an unnerving sight. They start to cut up the cake, Taehyung dreading to have to eat it. If it looks the way it does, how can it possibly taste good?

That thing doesn't even deserve the title 'Birthday cake'. Especially as it doesn't say 'Happy Birthday'. It only exclaims 'BIRTH', written in angry, blood red letters, the dye running and dripping on all ends. It looks like an ominous threat from a splatter movie, written with blood on a mirror or something. Honestly, the whole thing is just hideous. And the handful of sugar sprinkles doesn't help. At all.

Taehyung side-eyes Yoongi. The hacker has been on cake-bringing duty.

"Hyung, what the ever-loving ," he mutters.

Yoongi doesn't bat an eye.

"What."

"This is the most horrific birthday cake I've ever seen."

"Not everybody can be Reynold ing Poernomo, you know? What am I supposed to do when I start writing and there is not enough cake to fit all letters?"

"And the horror movie aesthetic?"

Yoongi points at himself with a scowl. 

"Not. Reynold."

Taehyung rolls his eyes but stops complaining. He accepts the cake piece Jeongguk offers him and hesitantly takes a bite. It tastes mostly bland but at least doesn't seem to be poisoned. Well, uhm, points for trying?

Once everyone got a slice courtesy to the birthday boy, Jeongguk squishes himself in the tight space between the arm rest and Taehyung. He would've had half a couch all for himself if he'd gone a bit to the left but decided against it. Taehyung swoons. Lifts his right arm behind the younger and grips his shoulder, pulling him into his side.

"You really planned a party for me?"

Jeongguk sounds strained as he whispers the question in Taehyung's ear. As if he can't believe someone would ever do such a thing.

And.

Taehyung is lost.

"Duh?"

Doesn't he have all his 97-liner friends? Did they never celebrate his birthday together? Why is this such a big deal for him?

Jeongguk snuggles even more into his side and buries his face in Taehyung's neck. It's almost answer enough.

They eat the cake in something like silence until Jimin puts his plate down with a loud clatter. 

"Okay, this tastes like and we didn't even make a toast yet. Yoongles, give me the fancy bubble water bottle." 

The hacker listens and dutifully hands over the champagne. Even throws in a "Yeah, dry as ."

Seokjin's brows shoot to the sky. "Excuse you, didn't you bake that cake?"

"Which gives me full entitlement to about my own creation, yah."

Jimin pours the liquid goodness with too much enthusiasm and floods half of the couch table, his own cake piece in the middle of it.

"Oops," the model does sound everything but apologetic, "looks like I drowned my excuse of a cake."

Yoongi snorts. "It might not look like it but love did go into this, you know."

"Mhm, maybe your love could go into something else?" Jimin wiggles his eyebrows.

Yoongi grunts.

"Alright es," Seokjin cuts in, "raise your flutes for-"

The doorbell chimes.

Seokjin puts his glass back down and scowls. "Typical. The moment I want to make a toast, I get interrupted."

Taehyung peels himself away from Jeongguk and goes to answer the door.

"Well," he quips with a little smile, "I think that's the first time I've seen you late, boss."

Namjoon gives him one of his big warm dimple smiles and shrugs apologetically. "I lost my way three times. Actually, I've been right at the second time but didn't believe you actually live here and-"

"And long story short, he would've been super-duper lost without me," Hoseok chimes in and throws an arm around Namjoon.

Taehyung grins. From inside, he hears Jimin squeal with delight. A few seconds later his friend is already dashing past him and flying into Hoseok's arms, unceremoniously pushing Namjoon away - much to Taehyung's horror. That's his boss right there! Don't push his boss, idiot!

"Hobi-hyuuuuung~"

"Jiminiiiie, it's been way too long!"

"I know, I know, you know I love you and would have visited more if my schedule weren't so full." 

Taehyung quickly beckons Namjoon inside, Hoseok and Jimin sauntering after them arm in arm, the latter kicking the door shut behind them. Namjoon looks around with wonder, stares at the giant chandelier, the spacious kitchen, the floor-to-ceiling windows, the art pieces hanging on the walls.

"Taehyung-ssi," he murmurs before he can get caught up in greetings from the others, "please allow me to be blunt. If you can live like that, why are you working for me?"

The younger answers equally quiet, keeping an eye on his reaction. 

"Because I don't want my name to be the main source of my income. I want to earn my money fair and square."

Namjoon purses his lips. "Your name?"

"Mhm. You probably heard of my family's company."

"Probably. What company are we talking about?"

Taehyung gnaws at his lip.

"Would it have consequences for me to not answer the question?" 

He doesn't really think he'd have to worry about it with how cool of a boss Namjoon has proven himself to be, but still there is that small irrational part that fears the answer to be 'yes'. Fears he might take a wrong step and be kicked out of BT Designs. Out of Jeongguk's and his workplace. And he can have that. Yes, he'd rather his boss not knowing, but. If he doesn't have much of a choice he'd rather tell him about his heritage than risking to lose his job, his office next to Jeongguk and his friends there.

"Of course not." Namjoon's voice is pure comforting warmth. "If you don't want to tell me, that's all but fine by me. I'd much prefer it to be this way round than someone trying to buy themselves an easy in with their name. But rest assured I would never look at you any different if you told me. It's your work that counts for me, and in that regard I have nothing to complain about."

He gives a sincere smile to Taehyung' and then heads up to the others. The moment he spots him, Jeongguk stops fanboying over Hoseok in favor of bouncing up to his boss.

"Namjoonie-hyung!" He flings himself around the long-limbed man and laughs. From where he's got his chin perched upon Namjoon's shoulder, he gives Taehyung a huge toothy grin. 'Thank you', he mouths.

Taehyung winks.

And belatedly remembers his boss doesn't know half the people in the room.

"So the boss man got invited too." Jimin squints at the newcomer, champagne flute in his hand.

Uh-oh. He's got his pitbull stare. His 'I'm going to fight for my best friend, and if I go down you'll go down with me and not come back up' stare. His 'soulmate full defense mode' stare. Taehyung's boss is only seconds away from a thorough interrogation and probably getting roasted within an inch of his life. 

Namjoon to his credit does not back down from the challenge.

"Indeed," he confirms calmly.

"Hmm."

"Alriiight~" Taehyung tip-toes over the confetti. "Let's do the introduction stuff before this gets out of hand, yes?"

Jimin harrumphs but ceases his interrogation for the moment.

"Namjoon-ssi, meet Yoongi-hyung and Jiminie. Hyung, Jimbles, my boss."

He gestures between them and waits for the mandatory exchange of formalities. Nothing happens. Everybody is just... eyening him weirdly. Taehyung halts.

"Wait. Why are you all giving me that look?"

"Taehyung-ssi." Namjoon taps his shoulder. "We already know each other. We've been playing laser tag together, remember?"

Taehyung blinks.

Oh.

OH.

Right.

That happened.

Uhm.

Well.

He feels dumb now.

"Yes, right. Of course. I-I knew that!"

Judging by the six looks of disbelief, nobody buys it. Taehyung pouts. these guys.

He pretends to not have lost his thread just now.

"So wait, just to make that clear, everybody knows each other already?"

"I don't know your boss," Hoseok chimes in from where he disappeared in the fridge, victoriously raising a vodka bottle over his head.

Bless his soul.

Taehyung nods, feeling fifty shades of grateful. At least one introduction is still due.

"Wonderful, I mean, true. Okay. Namjoon-ssi, please meet Hoseok-hyung, he's a very well-known choreographer. And Hobi-hyung... well, you already know he's my boss I guess."

They shake hands and just like that, Taehyung doesn't feel like he is the worst host to ever host a thing anymore.

"You are a dance choreographer? That's admirable. Things like dancing and moving my body in a certain way have always been beyond me, sadly," Namjoon confesses with an almost bashful voice.

Hoseok just laughs loudly, then turns to Taehyung. 

"I like him."

"Of course you do, he just complimented you. Joon knows to mind his manners, not like some other cultural runts here," Seokjin snips. "Now, mind you? Could you make some space for my man to sit here?"

Jimin gives him the stink-eye as he too gets ushered away. 

"There was literally a full square-meter of couch left just for him."

"So? Maybe I want him to sit next to me, and not between you losers."

"Loser?! Last time I checked, it wasn't your face printed on multiple magazine covers."

"Last time I checked, it absolutely was. When I won my first Michelin star and looked damn good while doing so. Not that you could relate."

"If you want to say something, say it to my face, you ing diva!"

Seokjin gasps, hand flying to his heart.

"The disrespect!"

"You are both stupid," Yoongi huffs.

Jimin twirls on his heels where he's gotten up in his spit of rage. He points at himself and glares at the hacker - which in itself would be a death sentence for literally anyone else.

"Excuse you? This stupid is regularly ing you, might I remember-"

"TMI, TMI," Hoseok shouts.

Taehyung takes a deep breath. Maybe, just maybe, this was a mistake. But then he glances to his side, Jeongguk already having taken up his previous position pressed against him, watching the whole exchange with glee and the biggest smile and thinks, maybe it wasn't. If this birthday party is destined to turn into a rom-com for Jeongguk's exclusive viewing pleasure, then so be it.

Two more glasses are fetched and filled with champagne, then everybody raises from the couch.

"Alright guys, let's get this over and done with, I want to eat a taco, or ten." Seokjin raises his flute again. "To Jeon-"

The doorbell goes again.

Seokjin almost tosses his flute against the wall, eye twitching, hand shaking in barely concealed rage.

"Kim Taehyung, go answer the ing door and pray for your life that it was the last time I got interrupted with the toast," the eldest says with an almost eerie calm.

Taehyung hurries to scuttle away and out of his hyung's shooting range, champagne flute almost toppling over as he puts it on the table.

He opens the door-

And gets a loud 'pang', followed by a glittering confetti shower right in his face.

He flinches away, cursing.

Through the haze he manages to make out four familiar men squished into his doorframe.

"," Taemin says, "We ed up! That's not Jeongguk."

Mingyu groans from where his head is stuck under Taemin's armpit.

"I told you to wait and see who it is but noooo..."

Taehyung blinks at them. His ears are still ringing.

While Baekhyun is shamelessly gaping past him at what he can see from Taehyung's apartment, Minjae at least has the decency to nod at him and wish him a good evening. Taehyung shakes his head, fighting off the stupor. There are way too many people in his apartment already, but... he promised himself to pull through with this. For Jeongguk.

So with a last nervous inhale, he gestures for his friends to come in. To get into his safe space which he kept under locks for so many years. Today is a joyous day, so smile, you moron. They won't rat you out.

When the little group of them gets to the living area, Jeongguk's jaw drops to the floor.

"W-What-"

Taemin whips out another confetti bomb thing and holds it right in front of Jeongguk.

"Happy birthday, bro!"

BANG!

Jeongguk chokes on some confetti and through the glittery mist Taehyung can see Namjoon delving for the glass he just dropped. He's not fast enough to catch it before hitting the ground.

But Jimin is.

He's falling into a spontaneous split and catches the glass before hitting the floor himself, now two flutes in his hands.

Jeongguk is still gaping when Taemin and Mingyu crowd in for a puppy pile, Baekhyun and Minjae reluctantly following suit.

Taehyung scoffs.

"Guys. As if we don't all know you are whipped for him too by now."

"Nah, that's your job," Baekhyun chirps but buries more in the group hug.

Taehyung feels his face heating up and looks away, just to catch Jimin giving him a devilish grin. He rolls his eyes, ignores Jimin's obnoxious eyebrow waggle- and finds himself facing a Jeongguk on the verge of tears. 

Cue instant panic.

There is not much visible from Jeongguk at all, being buried by his newly arrived friends, but the wet glistening on his eyes is still obvious. And that's a big no-no. Today is a happy day, his boy is not allowed to cry, not on his watch, no no no, this won't do-

Already Taehyung is pushing past Minjae, scrambling to get a hold of Jeongguk's face, sorrow crashing through him like a tidal wave followed by a bitter aftertaste of regret. Was it a bad idea to invite them? Was it too much for Jeongguk? Did he prefer more private and small celebrations? Is he hurt?! Did something happen?

Nobody else is important as Taehyung sinks to his knees, Jeongguk's cheeks in both hands.

"Gguk, what's wrong?"

Jeongguk doesn't answer. A single tear slips down his cheek which Taehyung is quick to wipe away, then his lips start to wobble. Taehyung gets more uneasy by the second.

"Babe?" he tries again.

The younger just shakes his head, then pushes out of the pile and into Taehyung's arms. Taehyung reels, he didn't expect to find himself with a lapful of Jeongguk.

"Gguk, you're really scaring me right now, talk to me, please."

This is the worst birthday party.

He royally ed up, he just knows-

"Thank you so so so much."

Huh.

What.

"What?"

What the ?

Jeongguk keeps his voice hushed as he warbles into Taehyung's ear.

"I know you must be super uncomfortable with so many people here. Thank you so much, for-for doing this for me. I love you so ing much."

For a moment, Taehyung is frozen to the spot. He didn't think Jeongguk would even remember him saying how he never lets anyone know where he lives. And he surely didn't anticipate the younger catching up so damn quickly. Almost before Taehyung had time to properly realize himself that he's feeling uncomfortable about the whole thing.

What the . When did he become that transparent? Is Jeongguk like, a magician or something? 

...At least he's okay.

Taehyung punches him in the side.

"Don't ever scare me like that again!"

Jeongguk laughs wetly.

They pull away from their tight embrace, rest of the world slowly filtering back in. Seems they missed out on most of the introductions but tuned in just in time for witnessing Taemin stretching out a hand and poking Hoseok in pure wonder.

"Ohmygosh." Taemin's eyes widen. "You are Jung Hoseok. And you're real!"

The choreographer smiles widely and strikes a ridiculous pose.

"Yep."

"Okay wonderful, yes we are all fabulous. Now that's clear could someone please help me up?" Jimin snides from his place between couch and couch table, still mid-split and arms raised to keep the champagne flutes aloft.

"Holy ." Baekhyun's eyes almost bug out of their sockets. Then he whips around to Taehyung. "Why is Korea's number one model on your floor?!" He turns back to Jimin who's got the biggest -eating grin on his face. "Hit me, Minjae, this can't be real."

Without an ounce of hesitation, Minjae does as he's told and slaps Baekhyun. Hard.

He winces and glowers. "Not that hard, idiot!"

Minjae shrugs. "Should've specified then."

Jeongguk cackles, tears long since forgotten.

Taehyung allows himself to relax. With one last scrutinizing look at his boyfriend, he goes to the cabinet to fetch more glasses. And a second bottle of champagne.

Four more poured flutes and two autographs later, Seokjin raises his glass for the third time. Squints at Taehyung and checks, "We complete now?"

"Promise," Taehyung nods.

Seokjin huffs. Then raises his voice.

"Alright, here we go again. Everybody shut up, I've got a job to do!"

He waits until all eyes are on him, basking in the attention before continuing. "To Jeongguk, the most insufferable brat, and apparently love of our Taehyungie's life. May he have a good time today, lots of luck and love and heaps of health and all that jazz. Happy Birthday!"

"Happy Birthday," the echo.

What follows then is an uncoordinated sequence of clinking glasses, trying and failing to not cross other's paths, and barely knocking drinks out of others' hands.

"Maybe we should draw lots next time..." Hoseok still hasn't managed to clink with Seokjin.

Yoongi rolls his eyes. "This is stupid. You're all idiots."

And maybe the whole thing takes an extra minute because Seokjin is cashing in some money from Jimin at the same time.

Taehyung gives them a pointed look. "Do I want to know?"

"Jimin bet that I wouldn't dare to call the birthday boy an insufferable brat in the toast," Seokjin exclaims and pockets the money. "But losing bets is for wimps."

Taehyung shakes his head. He doesn't even have words anymore.

 

Then they are back at facing the  Birthday Cake of Doom.

Even Jeongguk who is a self-proclaimed trash can if it comes to food doesn't look all that enticed. It's a comical picture, him sitting there with the hair circlet that spells 'YOUNG AF' on the fluffly mess of his dark hair, courtesy to Taemin, holding the plate with a cake piece that says 'BI' in bloody letters on his lap with a look like he got sent to the gallows.

"Uhm," Minjae pipes up from where he's squished between Taehyung - who is still marveling at the fact his big couch indeed can fit eleven grown-ups -  and Baekhyun. "So I might not have gotten the memo there is already someone bringing cake..."

Nine pairs of hopeful eyes turn to him. Yoongi just sighs.

"Please tell me you got some edible cake, kid," Seokjin pleads.

Minjae nods slowly and raises the bag he kept between his feet all the time.

" yes!" Jimin is this short of diving across the whole table. "Gimme, gimme."

Five minutes later, everybody got a much more tasty-looking piece of cake on their plates, remnants of the demon cake left in a sad heap on the kitchen counter.

"I'm never going to bake for you again, losers," Yoongi grumbles. Then gets up and demands seconds.

Jeongguk watches with glee how Jimin hurries after the hacker to serve him the next piece and Taehyung just knows he won't let the model live it down ever. Especially when he taps 'whipped' with a stick on Taehyung's thigh.

It's the topper that sat in the center of Minjae's cake, made of a laminated cutout glued to the stick, showing a very unflattering Jeongguk mid-yawn. With double chin and hair standing in every which direction. It's the best cake topper Taehyung has ever seen.

Upon revealing the cake, Jimin had burst into tears and demanded for that 'absolutely golden meme of that ' to be sent to him. Which lead to Taemin and Mingyu fumbling wildly for their phones and trying to antagonize the other, with shoving, phone-snatching, cursing and all that. The whole show. It's an appropriate reaction, Taehyung guesses. Who wouldn't want to swap numbers with Korea's Top model?

Now as Jimin's gone, Baekhyun remembers there are still other people present. With something like betrayal, he looks at Taehyung.

"Taehyung-ah, you didn't tell me you know people! How dare you keep that vital information away from me? You gotta introduce me to all the celebrities you know, 'kay? This is so cool! You're my new best friend." 

"Yah!" Jimin shrieks and bolts out of the kitchen, cake knife raised above his head.

Taehyung isn't the only one to flinch.

The model points the knife at Baekhyun.

"Listen here, boy. That title is already taken and I am not going to give it away, ever. Understand?"

Baekhyun nods. He looks like he's got a ton more questions at the prospect that Park the Jimin is his co-worker's best friend but Jimin jabs the knife in his direction before turning on his heels and twirling the very big and sharp knife in his hand. Baekhyun is wise enough to keep his mouth shut.

Taemin however, has no qualms to ask in the sudden silence, "How did he learn that knife trick and can I do that too?"

Either he got balls, or he's terrible at reading the atmosphere. Taehyung isn't sure. Luckily, there doesn't come a knife flying for the younger's head so he guesses Jimin got gratified by the indirect praise.

"I taught him," Seokjin says around a mouthful of cake.

The look Taemin gives him is a little doubtful. It doesn't go unnoticed.

"Yah, if you think someone who's got a Michelin star under his belt can't do a few little circus tricks in the kitchen then I'll have you know you are very wrong and also blatantly ignorant, you-"

"Wait." Baekhyun has found his voice again. "What was your name again?"

"Kim Seokjin."

"Uhm, okay..."

"Dude." Minjae leans over to whisper to Baekhyun but it turns out loud enough for at least half of them all to hear. "He's the chef and founder of Eat Jin."

"Duh," Seokjin deadpans.

Baekhyun gapes.

 

A whole cake and two drinking games later, they deem it time for the birthday boy to receive his presents.

Jeongguk is beside himself with joy and doesn't stop smiling for even a second.

They actually have to craft some make-shift lots to draw when it looks like there's going to be a fight about who gives him the present first. Yoongi keeps muttering about what big fat morons they all are but after the third time he says it, even the newbies opt to ignore him.

First up is Mingyu, who proudly presents a whole set of self-made Jeongguk meme cupcake toppers. Unpacking this one takes a while because everyone wants to see all the different cutouts. There is continuous roaring laughter for the next five minutes.

Up next is a black hoodie from Baekhyun that has Taehyung groaning. 

"His wardrobe already consists of those to like, eighty percent."

"So? It's his birthday, not yours. And with this at least I could be sure he would like it."

Taehyung pouts but shuts up.

Then it's Namjoon's turn. Their boss presents a neatly groomed little bonsai.

"For practice," he says. "You may not be able to have biological kids together, but maybe someday you want to adopt a child and I thought it might be a good idea to practice taking care of something small and vulnerable. Just in case."

This is like their boss giving them his blessing for marriage or something. 

Damn, Taehyung curses silently and blinks away the tears. Right in the feels.

Even Yoongi looks touched.

Then there is a hot sauce collection for daredevils from Minjae (Taehyung already has a very bad feeling when he sees that glint in Jeongguk's eyes), a minimalist silver ring from Jimin that spells ' you' in neat letters and a big wine encyclopedia with golden edge coloring from Taehyung which Jeongguk refuses to accept for like ten minutes because he 'already got such a great gift from him' before begrudgingly having a look at the table of contents and falling in love immediately.

It's a bit difficult to unpack Yoongi's present, simply because it's rather heavy. It turns out to be a set of high quality cooking knives, with knife block and all. The eight knives lying in a black velvet box are true beauties, with polished handles made of dark wood and pretty wave patterns in the steel. The knife block is made of the same wood as the handles.

Ignoring the look of blatant awe on Jeongguk's face, Yoongi starts rattling down the name of each knife. 

"Alright, so this one is the chef's knife, these two are santokus, here we've got a nakiri knife, a fileting knife, bread knife, petty knife and yanagiba knife." His large hand jumps from knife to knife without missing a beat or so much as glancing at the lapels. "Questions? Do you know which one to use for what?"

"Uhhh..."

Yoongi lets out a little sigh but continues his explanation with the patience of a good dad.

"Alright, so the chef's knife and petty knife are the two allrounders and probably the ones you will use most. The nakiri is good for cutting big amounts of veggies but you can also use it for very delicate cuts, and the big santoku..."

And so on.

Yoongi finishes with asking for more questions to which Jeongguk just answers with a timid 'why?'

The hacker furrows his eyebrows.

"What do you mean, why? You had a good time at the cooking workshop, right? And when I asked Taehyung if you have a decent knife set to call your own he said no, so."

Taehyung raises his hands in defense at the glare he gets.

"What? It's true!"

Jeongguk gives him another glare. And then hugs Yoongi really really tight. It's obvious the set cost several million won, and it's an actually thoughtful and sustainable gift too.

Everybody liked that, Taehyung thinks. He is so very grateful to his hyung.

Up next is Hoseok who presents a light projector thingy that can turn the whole room either into an enchanting galaxy or a rave party. They unpack it and plug it in immediately. Taehyung barely has time to close the blinds before Jimin switches to a more fitting playlist, turns up the music and starts to roll his hips.

Taehyung sighs.

"Happy Birthday, I guess."

But Jeongguk grins at him. "What, why? It's perfect."

Then it's Taemin's turn.

Jeongguk hasn't even unpacked half of the thing when Taehyung chokes on his spit. Jimin body-rolls over to them, takes one look and cackles.

What Jeongguk holds in his hands moments later is, lo and behold, a toy advent calendar.

"What the ..."

He's as dumbfounded as Taehyung.

Taemin smirks. "What? It doesn't need to be December to try out new things in the bedroom. Besides, do you know how hard it is to find a nice set of different toys and stuff?"

"Ooooooooh, looks like you're in for some hot action, Tae-Taeeee~"

"Sh-Shut up Jimin!"

"Aw, come on, it's not like you're a prude. And we both know you've been way past vanilla already."

"I'm not talking with you about this in front of everyone," Taehyung hisses.

"Uh-huuuuhm, look who's getting possessive here..."

"Jimbles you better shut up now or I swear-"

During their banter, Jeongguk has started peeling open the first door and fishes out an plug. He turns to Taehyung, smirk slowly growing on his face. Taehyung gulps.

Before they can get too caught up in their heads however, Seokjin steps forward.

"Well, this is awkward," he announces while presenting his massive bowl of ready-to-eat cookie dough. "Someone"- he shoots a glare at Taehyung- "told me this would be a laid-back thing and more like a big sleepover. Not a college party."

Taehyung has the sense to look apologetic.

"In my defense, I didn't know how Jiminie would decorate or what each of you would bring."

Seokjin raises a finger, opens his mouth, closes it, frowns, opens it again.

"I don't like that you're right."

 

The taco bar turns out to be a great idea the later it gets and the more drinks come into play. Everyone putting together tacos to their own liking isn't only fun but also a good thing for getting some calories and fat and keeping themselves from shooting past the border of 'just tipsy' too fast.

Well, the strategy works for some better than others.

"I need more fruit salad," Seokjin mumbles where he's plastering himself all over Taehyung's back.

"What do you mean, 'more'? I don't have any fruit salad. Period."

"Yes you do."

"I, no?"

"Yeaaaah... It's mostly grapes though."

Taehyung is so lost, dude.

"Grapes?"

"Mhm... Okay, maybe they're all grapes. Fermented grapes. You know?"

Taehyung huffs but drags Seokjin with him to the cabinet.

"If you want more wine then just ing say so."

"Yah, mind your ing language," Seokjin slurs and swats at him.

Maybe his hyung shouldn't have more alcohol.

"Okay, how about this? If you can say alpaca parka three times, I'll give you a new bottle. Ready? Go!"

Seokjin furrows his eyebrows and takes a moment to collect himself. It's enough time for Jimin to whip out his phone and hit the record button.

"That's easy. Alpaca paca, Al-alpaca, alpaca paca..."

He's scowling so hard now his eyebrows almost meet in the middle. Next to him, Jimin is doing a terrible job of keeping his laughter down. But the chef is too concentrated to even notice.

"...alpaca paca paca, alcapabeul- alpac-... al-al cap... alpaca. Alpaca paca parker!"

Taehyung shakes his head with a grin. The room starts to spin. Uh-oh, bad idea.

"Yeah, no. Also, stop acting drunk."

" you!"

 

At some point, the party dies down all on itself. 

Most of them lay on their backs, gazing at the now brightly glowing balloons above them and the ever-changing light patterns of Hoseok's projector thing. So it's on the few of them who are not stoned, to build The Blanket Fort Supreme and slowly wheel in everyone one after another. Which turns out to be a challenge because the buffest of them are absolute lightweights. Except for Seokjin. Which is why he ends up doing most of the work, Yoongi just standing there and giving him orders and Jimin being on and off helping them.

Taehyung and Jeongguk are pretty much dead to the world.

But they manage, somehow. And finally it's time for Seokjin's cookie dough to shine. After snatching a handful of spoons, the chef turns off the music and huddles into the fort too.

It's the best blanket fort in history, they all swear. Even if Taehyung can't feel his right arm anymore after less than five minutes under Minjae's head.

Stil, it's nice.

"This is the best birthday ever," Jeongguk whispers into his ear. 

Three seconds later he's passed out.

Taehyung smiles and high-fives a tired Jimin.

"Mission complete."

"That was my face, idiot," Jimin grumbles.