Of misplaced food orders and Pikachu onesies

Leave the light on (for me)

"Wow Namjoon you really shouldn't have!"

Taehyung internally flinches over the complete lack of honorifics. But Namjoon just smiles brightly over the table laden with food and side dishes.

"But of course, don't mention it, Baek. It's your birthday afterall."

Mr. Baek grins from his place at Namjoon's right.

Taehyung has yet to decide whether his boss actually values Baek that much to make such a big event of it or if it's more so the fact Baek is highly respected by all the elders of the company and Namjoon as young boss can't risk angering them. His sixth sense tells him it's the latter. Indeed across from him Jeongguk looks like he just ate a lemon. Before anybody else notices his expression, he buries his face in the wine glass and takes a big gulp. Taehyung snorts quietly.

A few minutes later the meals come out. As a big bowl of kimchi jjigae gets placed in front of Taehyung he falters. There is a reason he ordered japchae and not the dish given to him. Spicy food and Taehyung don't go well. Anything that rises his body heat does not go well with him, in fact.

"Uhm..."

Namjoon, attentive employer he is, notices his discomfort.

"Something the matter Taehyung-ssi?"

There is nothing but honest concern and warmth in his voice. Taehyung however can't say the same about Baek as he repeats the phrase, mirth dancing in his eyes.

"Yeah, something the matter little Kim?"

Taehyung smiles. "No, of course not."

He's tense for the rest of the evening as he concentrates on taking the smallest bites ever and subtly lets the majority of his dish go back to the kitchen at first possibility. And Jeongguk, bless him (it's the only time Taehyung will ever think that sentence), seems to notice his struggle for he orders a glass of milk and some extra rice, shoving it over to Taehyung during another round of merry toasts where everybody is too busy with themselves.

Taehyung makes it through the ordeal, somehow. And maybe, just maybe he doesn't look like a crumble cake. The itches all over his body are very real though. He clenches his hands into tight fists under the table, repressing the urge to scratch.

During the general excitement over ordering dessert he steals himself away to the restrooms. In the middle of him frantically rinsing his mouth the door opens and there is Jeongguk, watching him with big innocent eyes. If Taehyung didn't know what a hell spawn the other can be he would almost deem it cute.

"Uh, you okay?"

"Mhm." Taehyung wipes his mouth with the back of his hand. "I can't eat spicy food."

"Didn't you order it?"

Taehyung snorts. "No, certainly not."

"Then why didn't you say something?"

He shrugs.

 

Baek approaches Taehyung during his late tea break with a broad grin. Taehyung already doesn't like what's to come.

"Hey Kim, should I bring something for you as snack too?" 

The elder's voice is jovial, kind.

His grin that's more a bared teeth display than anything, is not.

"Maybe I should bring you some kimchi jjigae? You seemed to really like that during my birthday dinner yesterday," he muses.

Taehyung smiles back.

"That would be too kind of you."

Another broad grin, then a loud laugh as if he just said a good joke then Baek's gone.

"ing son of a ," Taehyung mutters.

And almost jumps out of his skin at the quiet "Couldn't say it better" from Jeongguk. Who's leaning against the second doorframe of the room since who knows how long.

Taehyung stares at him wide-eyed, slowly processing what the younger just said. Did Jeon Jeongguk just agree with him. Did he just agree with him that Baek is an . What.

"What."

Jeongguk shrugs and looks to where Baek has left. "Nothing, just, you are absolutely right. He is a son of a ."

"Did I miss some small print?" Taehyung is more speaking to himself by now, still confused by that turn of events. "Do we really share the same opinion on something?"

"Please don't be dramatic now."

The older splutters, back to his usual self.

"Jeon Jeongguk how dare you, I'll have you know-"

 

Their new-found mutual hate for Baek is a great development. It makes the presence of Jeongguk and the whole light switch issue that much more bearable as Taehyung starts cussing out Baek through Morse and Jeongguk picks up on it soon enough. He is still obviously learning, his knocks a lot more insecure and uncoordinated but they make it work. 

One and a half week later Jeongguk's Morse skills are pretty solid and they spend a major part of the day cussing out Baek together, riling up each other until gems like 'If that steps on a lego right now it's not soon enough' make an appearance.

It's actually great.

What's not so great is that they have a briefing about the latest technical updates on Tuesday. With everybody being in the big meeting room. Including Baek.

Jeongguk and Taehyung take seats next to each other which Namjoon registers with a warm smile. Well, their boss does not know they agreed to sit next to each other beforehand only so they can tap messages on each other's thigh under the table and thus  about Baek through the whole briefing without anyone knowing. No homo.

These two words run around in Taehyung's head as the solid weight of Jeongguk's hand on his thigh slowly burns a hole in his skin.

No homo, no homo, no homo, no homo.

Don't pop a thanks to body warmth and physics, don't get rashes, thank you.

There would be no other reasons for that to happen. For Taehyung is Not Attracted to Jeongguk in any way.

Ever since Taehyung came to the conclusion for himself that Baek indeed is an it makes it so much easier to spot proof.

Like the way Baek belittles that woman - Park Bom was it? - for a comment she just made until the poor girl is half disappearing under the table. Dude. Like, how about no?

Or the way he throws victorious smirks in the direction of the other elders huddled together at one side of the table whenever he beats someone with an argument. Most of the time unnecessarily so. It's like these grandpas are high-fiving each other with their facial expressions. Disgusting.

While Jeongguk keeps tapping 'Look at him preen, bet he'd get off to demoting youngsters if he could' on Taehyung's right thigh, he busies himself scribbling something onto his notepad. All old school, paper and ballpoint pen despite being a web developer and thus in touch with the latest technology by default.

Taehyung absent-mindedly notes the younger apparently being able to multitask. He leans that little bit closer to get a better look at what the younger is doing there - and abruptly turns away, lips tightly clamped together as he shakes with suppressed laughter. Jeongguk is sketching a chibi BBC Cumberbatch Sherlock who's happily skipping around, singing 'Murder time, murder time, murder all the way'. It's wonderful. Taehyung lowkey wants it as a poster on his wall. Also, wait, Jeongguk can draw?!

He manages to catch himself and risks another glance. Which, bad idea. Because now the younger is halfway done with adding a little Watson who tags behind with stoic expression while subtly pointing a gun in the general direction of Baek's seat. Taehyung temporarily forgets his right hand is still on someone else's leg as he buries his nails in the meat, other hand clenching to a tight fist in his lap. He lets his head hang low and bites his lower lip hard as his whole body quivers.

His silent fit fades eventually.

At some point Jeongguk has pried Taehyung's hand out of his thigh, one stiff finger at a time and pressed something that felt a lot like an anti-stress ball into the older's empty palm instead. Luckily nobody had called him out during his little struggle so Taehyung zones back in on the briefing no problem. Checks the people in his close proximity to see whether they noticed him almost losing his . Everybody wears the same blank expression so probably not.

Then it's Baek's turn to get up and hold a presentation about the superiority of Apple. Did Taehyung already mention he dislikes Apple on principle? Because he does.

'Do I get bonus points from the boss if I act like I care,' he taps.

'Lol do not think so' is Jeongguk's swift reply. He's almost fluent now and maybe Taehyung feels a tiny bit like a proud mom. Sue him.

And then Baek starts to talk about the responsibilities of web developers. Taehyung has to bite his tongue so ing hard. All that dude says is a never-ending string of bull, it's not even possible to discern where one bull ends and the next begins. He clearly has no idea what he's talking about, especially not as he starts throwing technical jargon in the mix. If Taehyung thought the elder's speech was messy before, he was wrong, oh boy was he wrong.

He stoically looks out of the window across from him and starts counting the big colorful tiles on the other building for the sake of his own sanity. Baek decides it's a good time to attack.

"Mr. Kim, wouldn't you agree with me?"

It takes Taehyung a hot second to register he is meant for there are at least six more Kims in the room. But Baek's stern gaze leaves no doubt who he meant. What poor Baek does not know however is that Taehyung too can multitask. He can look spaced out as and still follow the conversation.

So with the sweetest smile because he still didn't get back at Baek for the kimchi jjigae joke, he says, "Of course Mr. Baek, absolutely. I would totally agree with you but then we'd both be wrong and that would be a little sad, don't you think?"

That's when hell breaks loose.

Before the other can come up with a witty remark, face already scrunched up like that of an old dog, there is a high-pitched scream.

"Wasp, there is a wasp!"

Cue general panic. And oh, what a sweet view as Baek all but climbs on a chair and starts screaming "I'm allergic to bees, don't come here, don't come here, stay away".

Hilarious, really. Because for one, a wasp is not the same as a bee and two, climbing on a chair and screaming like a movie housewife who spotted a mouse probably doesn't make a difference at all for the little flying fella.

Taehyung calmly watches the chaos unfold around him. He never understood why people hate against certain animals. But Baek's face is slowly turning an interesting shade of purple from all the yelling and as much as Taehyung dislikes him he still doesn't wish the elder any physical harm. So he taps Baekhyun on the shoulder who's been playing with a rubber under the table for at least half an hour.

"Can I borrow this?"

Baekhyun looks up to him with big eyes, whole face a question mark but hands over the rubber.

"Thank you."

Taehyung strains the rubber between his fingers and systematically scans the room from left to right until he spots the wasp. He lifts his hand, pulls the rubber back some more - and releases it.

Shooting the insect with one try.

Within a matter of seconds the whole room is dead silent. Everybody looks at him, some outright gaping, others puzzled, Baekhyun definitely amazed.

Taehyung shrugs nonchalantly.

"You're welcome," he says to no one in particular.

Baek - because of course he is - is the first to find his voice.

"Well, I see you know at least one way of how to use rubbers."

His face color slowly returns back to normal. Seems his replenishment time for bullting is shorter than the one for his vital body functions. He continues, "Yeah, just one way. Do you know what else can be done with rubbers? With certain kinds of them? No? Still wet behind the ears, huh?"

And Taehyung is done. This is just obnoxious. He doesn't think twice before he shoots back, "Wow, how long did it take you to come up with that? Do you keep a list of fancy lines just in case?"

"Now now," Namjoon interjects. Finally. He should have stopped Baek a lot sooner in Taehyung's humble opinion. But who is he to talk, he's just the newbie.

"Let's calm down everybody and get back to topic, alright?"

The rest of the briefing Baek and Taehyung keep shooting each other nasty looks.

 

"So," Jeongguk says in lieu of greeting as he enters Taehyung's office, "Baek, huh?"

It's only been fifteen minutes or so since the damn briefing ended and Taehyung has been on edge ever since. Baek is such a self-righteous bastard, has proven it a couple more times through the briefing. The web developer's urge to throw something at him - like a brick for instance - has never been stronger. 

In other words, he is still pretty riled up. And he can only hope Jeongguk is not here to make his life difficult.

He is not.

"Dude is quite a douchebag, don't you think?"

Taehyung hums from his place in front of the half-closed blinds. The sun is shining bright and hot at his desk today and as much as he loves sunlight he'd rather not get rashes right now. So half-closed it is.

"Wanna teach him a lesson?"

Well. That's an easy yes.

 

Taehyung doesn't complain for once as Jeongguk turns the light off - he is already waiting for the younger, bag packed, pc shut down, light coat on. It's not even half past seven, most of their co-workers still there.

"Ready?," the younger asks from right outside his office. 

Taehyung nods.

"Let's go."

 

They part ways in front of the office building, Jeongguk heading for the next grocery store and buying five packs of clear film while Taehyung takes a bit longer to reach a mall and raid the toy store.

A few lights on the floor of BT Designs are still on as they reunite at the foot of the building. They get back up together and into their respective rooms, continuing to work some more while knocking nonsense messages at each other every now and then until it's well past eight.

Jeongguk is responsible for checking if everyone is gone for real while Taehyung preps some paperclips as makeshift lock pick. Once he gets the green light from the younger he heeds up to what's supposed to be Baek's office (not that he knows but Jeongguk said so and there is Baek's name next to the door so it should be true) and crouches down in front of it.

Jeongguk keeps watch next to him. It's also on him to hold the two huge bulging bags Taehyung brought back and prevent them from spilling their content everywhere.

Taehyung's got his tongue stuck between his teeth, a habit he cannot seem to shake off. His whole focus is on the feeling he gets from the lock, bending the paperclips this way and that way, pressing them down in the lock lightly, twisting them. And then hit repeat.

It takes only a few minutes until they both hear the satisfying click of the opening door. Taehyung mentally pats his shoulder. It's been a while since he practiced lock picking.

And it seems he is not the only one impressed by his handy skills.

"Where and why did you learn that? Wait, do I even want to know?"

Taehyung shrugs it off. "Youtube? Figured it might be a helpful skill, if I ever get kidnapped or stuck somewhere."

"...Fair enough."

Jeongguk brings in the two bags and with the hallway light being their only light source they begin unpacking, putting dozens of rubber ducks on every available surface of Baek's office.

"If you are able to do that," Jeongguk says in hushed tone while stuffing five rubber ducks in a drawer, "then why don't you just break into my office everyday to use my light switch?"

"Because I dislike him a lot more than you," the older says from beneath an expanding office plant. He is almost done burying a rubber duck in the pot soil so only the head is visible. He glances over to the younger who is frowning and looking straight ahead as if deep in thought.

They continue their ministration efficiently, working their way from one side of the office to the other until rubber ducks are everywhere. Jeongguk telling stories about all the stuff Baek has done in whispers.

Once they are done and both bags empty, they pull the office door shut again and Taehyung fumbles to lock it back up. The clear film remains in Jeongguk's office.

 

The following day is just as sunny as the other one and weather forecast says the temperatures are rising even more. Taehyung grumbles and puts one some baggy clothes once again. Screw his cholinergic allergy.

He takes his time getting to work as he knows for sure Jeongguk will be there already but for once that's okay. It's time for phase two of their little plan.

As he parks his car, a platinum white Acura ILX, in the underground garage there already are a few more cars scattered all around the place. And there, on the left side, the flashy red vehicle that belongs to Baek. 

Now not so flashy anymore.

Jeongguk has been thorough. Taehyung steps closer to inspect the amusing sight of the car completely wrapped in a thick layer of clear film. He grins.

That's what they've decided to do yesterday. To prank their mutually disliked co-worker, but in a completely harmless way. Just like in good old times where pranks were meant to simply confuse someone and nothing more. Both their rubber ducks and the wrapped up car are not really a problem, not hurting anyone. It's just a hassle to get rid off.

The clear film wrap was Jeongguk's idea. 'Baek always prides himself in coming and going first,' the younger said. Which makes it easy to catch his car and do stuff without being noticed for it takes at least an hour longer for everybody else to arrive.

Except for today, when Jeongguk set his alarm at 5am to arrive just after Baek, sneak into his office to fetch the clear film and get to work.

The idea with the rubber ducks has been courtesy to Taehyung, of course.

He makes his way up to his office and peeks into Baek's office where the elder is loudly cursing while putting away the rubber ducks. His grin widens. As usual there is not exactly a good morning exchanged between Jeongguk and him, the younger already holed up in his office. What Taehyung does though is knocking a 'Good job' to the other.

And rearranging Jeongguk's magnet board. Traditions exist to be respected and followed.

 

Baek's yelling can be heard thorough the whole day. Taehyung hums and closes his eyes, smiling. It's music to his ears.

 

This day seems to be full of surprises not only for Baek. Taehyung is mentally prepared to shut down everything around eight pm as soon as the light goes off. Except it doesn't. His ceiling lamp remains bright and very much switched on. Befuddled but not ungrateful he continues his work for however long his luck lasts.

One and a half hours later Jeongguk slinks into his room, foregoing the knocking. It's okay (kinda) because Taehyung knows it can't be anyone but the younger who enters his room like that. Brat.

"You know I didn't think you would actually pull through and work that long," Jeongguk comments from where he leans against the wall.

Taehyung grunts. "What, did you think I just wanna impress you with saying how long I usually work or what?"

"Maybe." 

The cheeky grin is audible in that one and Taehyung rolls his eyes.

Five minutes later Jeongguk pipes up again.

"Can't you just call it a night already?"

"No. Let me finish."

Taehyung keeps hammering on his keyboard. His eyes only barely burn from the strain of staring at the screens for too long which is cool. Today is a good day indeed.

Another ten minutes pass.

"Why do you even voluntarily stay that long?"

Taehyung sighs. Four more clicks, then he saves everything and proceeds to shut down his pc. And finally gives the younger his full attention as he swivels around in his chair. 

"You truly wanna know?"

A little bit of uncertainty creeps on Jeongguk's face but he nods.

"To distract myself from my thoughts." Taehyung looks down at his entwined fingers. "My brain never stays still. That's why I work so much. I live in the office and visit my flat. It's how I chose to cope with it." The last sentence he says with a finality that doesn't leave room for arguments. 

He grabs his coat and bag with the younger stumbling after him, locks his door and just like that, is gone.

Leaving it to Jeongguk to figure out whether or not the younger owes him some kind of response.

 

If Taehyung thought after their bonding experiece of pranking Baek together things would change, he was certainly wrong. Jeongguk is still a brat.

It's not even eight when he switches off the light and Taehyung, trusting fool as he is, did not bring his flashlights anymore, assuming they were on buddy terms now. Maybe not best buddy, not bro level but. Buddy. Apparently not so.

What's annoying him the most is that he trusted in Jeongguk not being a jerk anymore, in them getting along now and being past the petty fight about the light switch dilemma. Somehow this simple thing, Jeongguk switching off the light too early ticks him off for real. Because it means so much to him. It means the kinda truce they had is no more and their relationship is regressing.

Stupid Jeongguk.

Screw. Him.

Taehyung bulldozes into the younger's office, voice booming.

"Jeon Jeongguk, you little er!" He doesn't even try to hide his anger, seething his way into the younger's proximity.

 "There are more than a million and twenty thousand words in the English language yet not a single one of them could properly describe that urge in me right now and I couldn't string enough of them together to express how badly I want to hit you with a chair! It's not even eight yet, dude!"

It's only after he finishes his passionate speech does he realize the condition Jeongguk is in. The younger is slouched together in his chair with chin propped on a knee, wearing a bright yellow Pikachu onesie. He pushes against the desk until the chair propels him towards Taehyung, giving the older a good view of pale skin and dark bags his eyes.

Frankly, he looks like just done with life in general. Tired.

Taehyung swallows. That's not what he expected.

"I don't have the energy to pretend to like you today." 

Jeongguk's voice is flat and raw. It's unsettling.

And Taehyung, Taehyung gets concerned seeing him like that. But here is the thing, he is still too miffed about his light turning off prematurely. His anger is still simmering in his guts. He is only human, shaking off negative feelings is difficult. And deep deep down, somewhere in his heart where he doesn't need to admit it to himself or anybody yet, bickering with the younger is also fun.

"You never do that anyway," he tries to hit on a light tone. Ignore the sting as Jeongguk looks just so exhausted. "You never pretended to like me. So let's not spout bull here."

But because at the end of the day Taehyung is a very compassionate soul he adds, voice much softer, "What's the matter?"

Jeongguk stares straight through him.

"I have neither the nerves nor the crayons to explain it to you. Leave me alone. Go home, it's late enough."

Taehyung does no such thing.

Instead he makes himself at home on the floor in front of Jeongguk and silently waits for him to spill the beans.

It works.

Not even five minutes later Jeongguk's singing like a bird.

"It's just, I feel like being crushed. Each day adding a new weight on top of the others. ....Have you ever seen our digital blackboard?"

Taehyung nods. The digital blackboard is the worst-kept secret of BT Designs. Among other important announcements there are also documents pinned which Namjoon doesn't approve of. 'They are bad for the mental health and work flow' he says yet no matter how often he takes them down, a few hours later a new version appears. Taehyung suspects the elders around Baek doing it. 

"Then surely you know the Top list too, right?" Jeongguk has taken to play with the tail of his onesie, chewing on his lip and looking down. 

Taehyung hums.

Yes, he knows about it. Everybody does.  Now Taehyung is aware of the truth behind Namjoon's words whenever he disapproves of the Top list, the Missed goals sheet and the attendance tracker. He knows that looking at those, comparing himself and feeling bad about not being good enough is toxic. Yet sometimes he risks a glance.

So he knows what he's talking about if he says ever since he joined BT Designs Jeongguk has always, without fail been at the very top of the Top list. Best, fastest, most efficient worker. And that at such a young age. 'Golden maknae'  Baekhyun called him the other day. Golden, perfect. If it wasn't for his ty personality.

Jeongguk nods to himself as if confirming himself. "Yeah. So, the Top list. I don't know if you noticed, if you care but I'm always in first place there." He says it with such a neutral tone it's impossible to think for even one second that he's bragging. Just stating facts. "I work really hard to keep it that way. And even if Namjoonie-hyung does not like the list, he sure does appreciate hard and good work when he sees it. "

Taehyung leans closer, listening attentively. Somehow he got the feeling the younger will drop a big confession any moment.

It comes out all at once then, like a dam breaking loose.

"I made my way from the very bottom to the top of the list and ever since I got there I'm fighting to stay on top. To prove my worth. That I'm a good worker and not just hyung's favourite. But every week I stay in that ranking position sets the expectations even higher. I'm expected to be the best by now, to be perfect and deliver only flawless work. I'm getting marketed as the prize mare or something and it's just. It's just hard?"

His voice gets smaller with each sentence until it cracks at the last word.

Taehyung's heart breaks a little as he sees him like that.  A young man,  freshly-minted adult struggling to fill in the shoes of adulthood. Getting crushed under too high expectations and pressure. Now if he were one of his friends Taehyung would hug the living daylight out of him and reassure him. But they are not friends. They are nothing. So all he can do is stay put and listen to the younger pouring his heart out, offering an open ear.

"I'm only twenty-three, I'm not ready to have burnout already," Jeongguk whispers.

Taehyung gets up and places both hands on Jeongguk's shoulders.

"Jeon Jeongguk," he implores. Makes the younger meet his gaze to see the sincerity in there. "There is no such thing as an age limitation for burnout and stuff like that. Take it down a notch before it's too late."

He means it.