Of dried squid and yellow post-its

Leave the light on (for me)

The human brain is amazing, that's for sure. Taehyung is convinced of that fact once more after ending up watching Nyangostar performances on Youtube just because he got an apple. Can you blame him though? When watching a mascot killing it on a children's birthday party is just the most badass epic thing ever? 

At some point he remembers that yes, he's here in his office for a reason, and that reason is work. Reluctantly he gets back to the issue of cross-browser compability of his project's link.

But here is the thing. His mind just won't settle. Again and again it goes back to the awkward way Jeongguk gave him the apple. Taehyung is lost. He can't bother poor Jimin with every little thing though so he better sorts this out himself, and soon.

Now that, that's helpful. He puts 'figure it out' on his mental To Do List for the night, sets himself the imaginary deadline of 11pm. Now he has a plan, his mind is clear and good to get the job done.

The material of his chair groans as Taehyung shifts forward leaning closer to the screen. And gets immersed in work.

 

It's going well for quite some time, Taehyung gets done most of the project to a point where only a last once-over is missing. And then Jeongguk happens

To be fair he does not happen in a way as bad and sudden as usual, with the light going from 100 to zero in a moment, or a door banging against the wall. This time Jeongguk happens a bit nicer and less rowdy, knocking against their shared wall.

Three times short. One long. Three times long. Short, twice long, short. 'Stop'.

Taehyung almost misses the first few knocks as he got Vocaloid songs blasting from his headphones - one Japanese mascot on stage lead to another. He sighs in slight irritation before remembering that at least he's not sitting in the literal dark out of nowhere. Chewing on his lip he decides to be nice back for a little and knocks back an 'okay' before shutting down the computer.

Jeongguk is already waiting outside his office. Taehyung has barely locked his office and turned around when there is an apple flying right at his face. With an unflattering gasp he catches it.

Jeongguk grins at him, that little lopsided grin that screams youthful mischief. It can be adorable, if you are not the reason he's looking mischievous.

Taehyung gnaws on the inside of his cheek, partly still processing that he has an apple in his hand. No, no if he thinks about it some more, Jeongguk is not adorable. Not even if the mischief is directed at someone else than Taehyung. No, adorable who? Bah!

And then it clicks. Taehyung side-eyes the younger as they walk down the hallway together. Jeongguk looks very satisfied with himself, confident aura back and all that. Maybe... maybe this is a new stage of their eternal teasing? Maybe Jeongguk is getting a mischievous joy out of being nice to him and catching him off-guard? Like scheming but in a harmless, actually useful way?

If that's the case, then well. Two can play the game. Taehyung is very happy with his unexpected discovery yet doesn't let it on, feigns nonchalance. Catch 'em cold. He makes use of his long legs and passes Jeongguk to reach the door first. Pulling it open for the younger. And wow, seeing that look of complete bafflement on him sure does feel good. Taehyung smirks as he leaves the building after the younger and lets the door snap shut behind them.

Yeah okay maybe he can understand why Jeongguk did it. It's kinda fun.

Nice scheming it is from now on. Because there is no way Jeongguk would try to be nice to him for no reason. Nice scheming has to be what he's on about. Now Taehyung knows which game is on he just needs to win.

Hah!

 


Not calling Jimin ended up being out of question. Somehow Taehyung always comes running to his best friend about the most mundane things. Always, without question.

"So what you're saying is that you want to beat him in being nice because you are a competitive ," Jimin sums up the last thirty minutes.

Taehyung is quick to splutter out denials. "What, why would you say that, I am in fact very much not competitive!"

"Sure. Sure, Taehyung."

"Yah!"

Too enraged to pay attention, Taehyung's grip on his phone slips and it falls onto his face with a smack. If Taehyung accidentally ends the call with his nose the very moment his phone faceplants itself then no one needs to know.  Some more curses, wild fumbling and turning onto his side in the big bed later he's back on call with Jimin.

"Dude what the hell?"

"That's no way to greet your soulmate, where are your manners you pig," Taehyung pouts.

A scoff crackles through the connection. "I greeted you earlier, now I need an explanation to what happened my dude."

"In your ing dreams. You won't get one."

"Huh, is that so? I guess you don't need my life-saving advice any longer then, right?" Jimin's stink eye is pracitcally audible.

Taehyung scrambles to pick up the shards, words overrunning each other. "Wha- no no no what's not, thatsn't that's not whaddaya, what I uhm..."

He is saved by an airy laugh that indicates Jimin is not half as mad as he just pretended to be. Which is good, great actually. Mad Jimin is to be taken with a pinch of salt. God save the poor soul who manages to get on Jimin's bad side. Taehyung has seen it happen once. It was Not Funny. He shall never be on the receiving end of Jimin's rage.

"Okay so back to you denying your competitive side," the model quips. "Let's take a different apporach. How about you picture Jeongguk giving you yet another apple. What do you say about the competitive thing?"

"I'm not competitive!"

"Alright now what does your inner voice say?"

Taehyung pouts.

"...That I should ing destroy him. I can be nicer than him no problem."

Jimin cackles, Taehyung buries his face in a pillow, wailing. He thinks maybe that's a proper representation of their friendship.

After catching his breath - because of course he needs to, Jimin is one of those full-body laughing guys - Jimin gasps, "Bro, destroy him in which way though? I mean think about the different way to read this. Which kind of destroying are we talking? Wait, do I really want to know? Are you ? Actually now that I think of it I do want to know, yes. Tell me more about the destroying part-"

"Bye Jimin!"

"Tae-Tae, don't you dare hang up on me, you can't do this, that's un-bro-ful. Tae?! Yah!"

 


Taehyung is lost. and for once it's not Jeongguk's fault.

No, more like his own incompetence but he has yet to admit it to himself. SEO has never been his forte.

Something with the website he's about to launch does not work and he just can't figure out why. Did he not add enough backlinks? Does he need to do a better keyword research? He aimlessly clicks through the data about the website, cherry chewing gum in his mouth slowly turning to mush.

Leave it to Jeongguk to make an irritating moment even more irritating. The younger enters the room as always unannounced and uncalled for, takes one look at Taehyung having his chin propped up on one hand, obnoxiously chewing, whole posture probably screaming 'I don't want to do this ' and concludes "So, you're stuck."

" you," Taehyung grumbles into his palm. Remembers the reaction he got last time saying that and adds a quick "Scratch that."

Jeongguk snorts, crosses the distance to Taehyung and his screen and skims the content on display. He hums. "I see you are in the middle of SEO?"

The older grunts, clicking through some more statistics just to appear busy. His neck prickles with the younger so close, Jeongguk almost blanketing him with his form were it not for the chair between them. It feels strange. Taehyung decides strange equals uncomfortable because what ing else.

"Looks like you're analyzing your old keywords. I recon that's always a good start."

And Taehyung frowns. Not at what might, with a bit of a stretch, be a compliment but at the implication that he actually knows what he's doing. Because he doesn't. Not at all. Analyzing keywords? Huh maybe he should try that next. After he's done clicking through some more statistics just for the kick of it.

Jeongguk keeps quiet for a bit and just watches him bullting around before declaring, "Oh wait, you are actually past analyzing them already." 

Taehyung turns around to face the younger at last, refuses to flinch at the proximity of their faces. His eyes flicker down to Jeongguk's mouth for absolutely no reason only once before he scoffs. 

"How dare you assume I know what I'm doing."

He does take satisfaction in the way Jeongguk fixates on his own mouth for a tad bit too long to not be obvious because if Jeongguk can look unfairly attractive and distract his thought process by just existing then so can Taehyung, thank you very much.  No wait. Weren't they supposed to rival in being nice to each other? Maybe next day.

"But I thought-"

"And that's where all problems start," Taehyung declares dramatically. "Thinking always only leads to more complications."

"But weren't you looking at the keywords though?"

"I just told you I don't know what I'm doing, are you by any chance not only an idiot but also deaf?"

His trademark frown is back on Jeongguk's face as he gets visibly more irritated by the second. "Well but even if you did not look at them maybe that's what you actually should do?"

"Don't you dare question me or what I'm doing, I'm doing just fine without you. Now leave."

"But still-"

Taehyung inhales deeply, takes the effort to turn around with his chair and challenge a nasty look at the younger.

"Jeon Jeongguk, listen here you little ! I have no idea what I'm doing and you can't stop me."

He flings out a finger in the general direction of the door and waits for Jeongguk to get and, god bless, follow the cue.

"That doesn't even make sense," Jeongguk snides while stomping out of the room.

"You don't make sense. off."

 

And that's how Taehyung failed to be nice back at Jeongguk on day one of their never-declared competition of niceness.

 


What's worse than a quarrel with Jeongguk?

A quarrel with Baek.

What's worse than a quarrel with Baek?

Staring into the void while dying inside.

Taehyung is back home after a long day, thinking about nothing in particular ('nothing' meaning apples, keywords, Jeongguk, Jeongguk, Jeongguk...) and somehow he is stuck in this weird limbo. This hateful state where he sits somewhere, completely spaced out, consciously procastinating. Overly aware of each single second ticking by without him doing anything, not even something that's less on the productive yet more on the fun side. Nothing at all.

Seconds turn into minutes turn into more than an hour and he is still planted on the edge of his bed without moving a muscle. Still procastinating and hating it but he can't stop doing it, brain panicking, stuck up in an body that's too lethargic to move. His wires between the 'I want to do stuff' nerve and 'I received the order, now let's get productive and do the stuff for real' nerve severed. Limbs refusing to move despite him having a million ideas of what he could be doing now. 

Like. He could read. Play a game. Watch tv, maybe go on a small Pirates of the Carribean marathon  - small, because let's be honest, everything past the third movie was not as good anymore - take a stroll and shoot some nighttime photos, try to make use of the food stacked in his fridge and cook on his own, attempt an easy workout, take a nice hot bubble bath, reconsider getting a cat, browse the web for new interieur design ideas. There is literally so much he could do. Yet he settles for none of the above and remains unmoving.

Taehyung sometimes gets like that, more often than not after a long unfullfilling day at work. And he hates being in that kind of state where he is screaming on the inside and yelling at himself to get up and do but on the outside the biggest achievement of the night is how he shuffles his bare feet over the plush rug next to the bed. There is nothing to be done about it, sad as it is.

Goddammit why am I like this?!

He doesn't even find it in himself to call Jimin, his go-to for all problems of everything ever.

And once that particular thought settles and takes roots, the descend begins of Taehyung feeling more and more like a pathetic weak little worm until it hits the peak of procastinational laziness as he just falls onto his side, shuts his eyes and goes to sleep like that. Clothes still on, teeth not brushed, position uncomfortable and head filled with negativity.

 


So, last night was officially .

Taehyung does not try to hide it, is still in the process to regain his life energy. His feet drag on the floor, sweatpants slobbering around his legs and ankles just like the oversized shirt he blindly picked. There is a stain somewhere on it but he couldn't care less. To complete the 'Do not disturb' look he's got some big mirrored sunglasses perched high on his nose. They double as obvious people barrier and keeper of secrets - secrets being the huge bags under his red eyes.

Back to: What's worse than a quarrel with Jeongguk? A quarrel with Baek.

The boomer leans against the break room's doorframe and grins somewhat oily. Repulsive.

Taehyung body-swerves as far as possible in the hallway and makes it very clear he does not want to talk, least of all with Baek. Baek apparently is more dense than Jeongguk or just an even bigger than Taehyung assumed for he steps into the younger's way regardless. 

"Wow, look at you Kim," he feigns shock. "Young lad having some nerves here, I see."

Taehyung doesn't answer, tries to step around him as if he were a piece of furniture.

Baek moves with him and continues to block the path. "What's with you, is all I'm saying. Look at you, poor little Kim you must have a hard time. You look so unapproachable."

"Yet here you are," Taehyung deadpans.

It's enough to shut up the older and finally escape into his office. Were, mind you, he can look as unapproachable and awful as he wants. Not like it's anybody's business how he dresses or behaves. He's got no position that's gotta deal with the outernet and works on his own most of the time anyway.

 

One ruined match stick and two cherry chewing gums later his mood starts to lighten. The yankee candle was a good investition afterall.

A look at his loaded pinboard on the wall helps too. That combined with his computer booting up and re-opening all the windows he was too lazy to close last night, the different programs popping up one by one helps him to get out of that hole he dug himself. Because now as he is confronted with all of the stuff he has - not could or want but has - to do, he is running out of excuses.

Taehyung stares for a solid five minutes at his screen where he is still being in a general mood of 'it's okay to be a person struggling with productivity during a little crisis of whatever sort'. But after five minutes of staring at the screen with all its opened programs judgingly staring back, his more reasonable inner voice makes a comeback. Stating 'Not you though'.

And that voice is the one who's right. Taehyung nods.

Not me though. 

Procastination is not for me.

He cracks his knuckles, allows himself the luxury of one last big yawn and gets to work.

 

The day is just starting to become good - as in, Taehyung is starting to feel human again - when Baek makes a reappearance.

These innitial two minutes of interaction with him in the morning were more than enough to last Taehyung for a week but sadly the universe did not ask Taehyung.

"Knock knock," Baek sing-songs which is stupid to begin with as he already openend the door without asking and thus alarmed the web developer of his unwanted presence.

Taehyung rolls his eyes and turns around.

"What."

"Aw, don't be like that." The older grins. He leers down at Taehyung and gosh does the latter hate this obnoxious guy's guts. "I just wanted to check in with you, be a good colleague and all that, you know. Ask if you need some of those mommy teas. Or maybe some kimchi jjigae to spice up your day?"

Taehyung turns his back to the older and continues typing but as we've already established Baek is no one to take cues so the older man stays in the door and keeps rambling on about that one place that makes just delicious kimchi jjigae. Rubbing the meal-order-gone-wrong-incident all these weeks ago in again and again and again. Taehyung's hold on the mouse gradually tightens. Oh, the things he wants to say.

But he is the newbie, the one to get fired if problems arise. He doesn't want to get fired. So Taehyung keeps quiet, let's the tirade continue and roll over him as his knuckles turn white.

I love my job, I love my job, I love my job.

It's like a mantra in his head. Maybe one day he will actually believe it. For now it's enough to convince him to keep his mouth shut.

"Oh hey Baek-ssi, almost didn't see you," a familiar voice cuts off the older. And oh god please no, Baek alone is bad enough but if he teams up with Jeongguk...

"Jeon, what-"

"Last time I checked the dumpsters are in the break room, if you would be so kind."

"And why, pray tell, would I care about that exactly?"

Jeongguk's grin is audible in the way he replies. "Why, I thought that's where you are most comfortable of course."

Oh. Oh, right, Jeongguk hates his guts too. Bless.

Taehyung's hands - yes, all three of them. Kidding - unclench and he chances a look over his shoulder. Just in time to catch Baek blinking at Jeongguk, processing the words until his expression turns very very sour. He raises a menacing finger, gapes, puts his finger down and storms off.

Taehyung looks after his retreating figure, stunned. A soft "That was awesome" escapes his lips before he can stop it.

Stupid, stupid mouth!

Jeongguk gives him a grin too albeit a much softer version, then winks and retreats into his office.

Leaving Taehyung once more in confused silence.

Uhm.

Did Jeon Jeongguk just wink at him. 

What.

Huh.

 

"...and then he winked at me and left and,  I mean it was awesome, almost as good as when Baek turned purple because of a bee-"

"Hold up." Minjae raises a hand. "Run that with me again. He winked at you? Jeon Jeongguk? As in, 'black is my happy colour', unapproachable snarky sociopath inhabiting the office next to you Jeon Jeongguk?"

"I," Taehyung blinks, wets his lips. "Yeah?"

The youngster fishes the whole egg out of his ramen bowl, pops it in his mouth and stares into the distance. "Okay... I, yeah okay, it's cool, I get that, I totally, uhm. Well."

Taehyung raises a brow. "You alright?"

"Yeah yeah sure I just. So. I guess, like, well, hm. Just let me get this straight. So, are the both of you ing?"

The noodles go down the wrong pipe and Taehyung chokes violently.

"What, what the ," he wheezes out. "What makes you think that? The hell?"

Minjae gives him a long hard look. 

"Taehyung, hello? He winked at you. He. As in Jeon Jeongguk. Winked at you. And gave you an apple just because. Two, actually."

"I still don't see how this makes you think- wait." Taehyung squints at him. "How do you know about the apple."

"You told Baekhyun," the younger states matter-of-factly.

"So?"

"So, you told Baekhyun. Alas the whole company knows about it."

Baekhyun starts spluttering out denials as Taehyung buries his head in both hands and groans.

"Still I don't see why you said that thing earlier," he admits through his hands.

"Taehyung, I really like you but sometimes you are a little bit dense."

"Yah!"

"How many times do you think Jeongguk has been giving away free food or anything ever?"

"I," the web developer shrugs, "I dunno..."

"Never is the correct answer."

"Hey, he is not that bad-"

"He is. Just not to you, at least not anymore. Which is super weird to witness."

Next to him Baekhyun starts nodding along enthusiastically too. Taehyung closes his eyes and prays for strength.

"But still, did you really have to phrase it like that?"

Minjae hums, purses his lips then nods. "Yep, I mean you are not exactly straight."

"What!" Taehyung splutters. Eyes shooting to Baekhyun who is gaping now. "I, I totally am!"

Another hum, Minjae tilting his head.

"You are not."

Leaving no room for argument.

Taehyung puts his head on the table and whines.

"...No I am not."

Next to him Baekhyun is almost losing his . "What, holy Minjae how did you know?!"

"How did you not know is the better question."

"I don't like it if you are being like that," the oldest of them sniffs. "The disrespect. Call me hyung when you're in brat mode. Actually call me hyung all the time, you hear me? That lack of honorifics is eating away on me. You're gonna be the reason I'll go bald before hitting the thirties and then I will make you take responsibility, mark my words."

Minjae just scoffs. Then focuses back on Taehyung, nudging him with his foot under the table.

"Hey, you okay? What're you gonna do next?"

"Being nice back," Taehyung slurs against the wooden table. "Whatever you think is going on, he was just being nice a couple of times. So I'll do the same. Oh, wait." He turns his head onto its chin. "What am I supposed to do? How can I be nice to him?"

"Pay for his next coffee on his break."

Taehyung rolls his eyes hard enough to get a temporary headache. "He doesn't drink coffee, ."

Minjae cooes. "Aw, look at you, picking up on all the little things~"

"What? No!"

Baekhyun shrugs. "You probably know him better than us at this point. Which, by the way, weird because you just joined how many weeks ago? No hate though. Anyway you probs know better than us what would be a good thing to do."

"Wow you two are full of and not helpful, thanks for nothing."

"Kim Taehyung you are so going to pay the cheque for this comment."

Taehyung sticks out his tongue at Baekhyun and doesn't promise anything.

Yeah, grown- man who?

 

The stack of colourful post-its weighs heavy in his pocket.

Not in the metaphorical sense but more like yeah well maybe he bought not only one stack. Maybe he bought nine. You never know what you might need them for, right?

After some long thinking and chewing on dried squid - if Souma Yukihira can do it then so can Kim Taehyung - he remembered that little breakdown thing where Jeongguk talked about the immense pressure of staying on top of the unofficial ranking within the company. So Taehyung got post-its and some treats.

Breathing extra shallow he listens for the other's movements and waits until Jeongguk leaves his room, presuambly to go to the toilet. On near-silent feet Taehyung sneaks out and into Jeongguk's empty office. He glues the bright yellow post-it that reads 'Jeonggukkie hwaiting! Aim for gold ooo' on one of the black screens and impales the mini chocolate bar on one of the pencils sitting in a jar. 

Happy with his work he leaves the scene of crime and sneaks back into his office.

Not even a minute later the door to Jeongguk's office opens and closes. Then, trough the thin wall Taehyung hears a snort. He deduces it was a happy snort.

Grinning from ear to ear he gets back to work.