Of pizza betraylas and disdainful encounters

Leave the light on (for me)

The following day at work proves to be a real challenge for Taehyung.

Even the elevator ride hurts and he's not even moving a finger!

But it was totally worth it. 11/10 would do it again.

One and a half hour into work, Jeongguk sneaks into his office. Taehyung hums happily. Parting ways and going to each others' respective office this morning has been a feat in itself after they spent the entire night together and woke up in each others arms.

Jeongguk takes one look at him and breaks out into the softest smile.

"You're still glowing."

Taehyung his head. "Huh?"

"You're glowing. Like, you know, uh..." Jeongguk's standing in the middle of the room, seemingly lost on how to express himself and starts flapping his arms.

Taehyung is ready to ing combust at the sight.

"Like, post-? But-but, more like, no. More... lasting? Like riding a happiness high, or something."

Jeongguk is rambling. That buff guy who Taehyung thought to be the most intimidating of the whole BT Design, is stumbling for words in Taehyung's presence, with flushed cheeks and arms still flailing like a penguin. If Taehyung wasn't in love with that cute already, then he definitely would be now.

"And, like. So. Glowing, you, I mean. Or, I mean, no, that sounds wrong. You're not glowing for real of course, that would probably be... super unhealthy. But you just look like, really... radiant? Like you're spraying dust flakes of happiness and when I come one step closer I can even taste it? Actually, just forget it, I'm probably not making any sense at all..."

Taehyung coos. He can't help himself okay? Not when his boyfriend is standing just shy away from his reach and scratching his head, looking so soft, like a flustered mess. Taehyung has a hard time wrapping his mind around the idea that it's the same guy who ed him so good he glitched last night. The never-ending duality of Jeon Jeongguk, everyone.

"Aw, come here, you beefy dust flake."

Jeongguk takes the offered hand with a grateful smile and climbs on Taehyung's lap. Shoots out a hand for the desk behind them to steady them as the chair threatens to topple over, and then leans down to nuzzle into the crook of the older's neck.

Taehyung has been torn about his dressing choice this morning. Part of him wanted to wear a super loose and low-cut shirt that exposed the twenty-something hickeys littering his neck, collarbones and chest - he tried making an exact count but each time he passed twenty, Jeongguk came up behind him and started distracting him in the most wonderful ways - wanted to expose them in an 'in your face' kind of way. The other part wanted to hide them from the world because those love marks were his, and nobody was allowed to know about their beautiful existence except for Jeongguk and him.

In the end he found a middle ground with himself and picked a loose fluttery linen shirt with wide-cut arms, collar resting comfortably at the base of neck. That way, only the dark red splotches climbing up his neck were still visible. He didn't bother to cover them up. Let people know he's happily taken! And maybe make Baek's former goons pop a vein or two at work.

With the way Jeongguk presses his thumb at the tender spots now, Taehyung thinks the younger doesn't mind his choice of showing off the marks.

"You know-"

Taehyung cuts off himself with a hiss as Jeongguk and nips at one of the marks sitting right over his collar.

It's so tempting to let his lids grow heavy and succumb to the pleasure. 

But.

They are at work, and he actually has a deadline to meet today.

Reluctantly, Taehyung grabs a handful of Jeongguk's hair and tugs him away from his neck.

"You know, boss could come in any moment to check up on my current project. He said the other day it's one of our patrons from the beginning and I highly doubt he forgot my deadline is today."

Jeongguk grumbles something that has Taehyung chuckle.

"I know, I know, believe me I'd rather keep going too. But we've both got work to do, yeah? Maybe we can sneak in a little make-out at the end of lunch break?"

The younger pulls away enough to lock eyes. He's sporting the biggest pout, that has Taehyung almost slipping and leaning up to kiss it right off his mouth.

"Pinky promise?"

Taehyung cracks a smile.

Gosh, this guy.

"Yeah, of course."

He holds up his hand and locks pinkies with Jeongguk, who nods satisfied and then slowly climbs off Taehyung.

"Okay." Jeongguk leans down to give Taehyung one last peck, then heads to the door. "If you break your promise, I'm not going to you off tonight," he calls over his shoulder.

Taehyung gapes.

Keeps staring at the closed door for several minutes as his brain fails to catch up.

Did Jeongguk just invite himself over for a repeat of last night?

What?

Wait, did they just pinky-swear on kissing?!

 

Minjae gives Taehyung a flat look as the latter feeds Jeongguk just another bite of their shared bibimbap.

"I think I liked it better when you've still been pining."

"Yeah, you two are gross together," Baekhyun nods enthusiastically, then cackles.

Taehyung squawks.

"How dare you, I wasn't pining-"

"Babe," Jeongguk hushes and reaches out to caress Taehyung's cheek. 

Taehyung already wants to melt but then he feels something that's absolutely not Jeongguk's thumb pressing into his cheek and, wait what?

"You're such a messy eater."

With a smile way too soft for the public eye, he pricks the thingy that turns out to be a stray rice grain from Taehyung's face and hit right off his finger. Taehyung stares. And completely misses Minjae who comments with dry voice,

"Yeah, you're gross."

 

Minjae and Bekhyun end up excusing themselves because they started their break a little earlier and have to head back sooner. Which gives Taehyung and Jeongguk the opportunity to be as lovey-dovey as they want. And even better: it makes finding a quiet spot and making out for a little while much easier.

Baekhyun doesn't say anything as they walk back into the office with glistening red lips that may be a little more plump than usual. He just gives Taehyung an obnoxious wink from behind his reception counter and, as soon as Namjoon has passed by and is out of sight again, shoots finger guns at Jeongguk.

Taehyung rolls his eyes.

Well, at least Baekhyun is supportive of the two of them. Even if he's sometimes very dramatic about it.

 

Friday comes, and among other things that means especially one thing: it's Jeongguk's turn to pick a place for lunch.

Which might not be a big deal-

Except it is.

Because Jeongguk decided it's a good idea to go and get some pizza.

Taehyung stares at the Pizza Hawaii in front of him with enough disgust to set lesser men running. Jeongguk, that heathen, pre-ordered their food without asking Taehyung. The younger did ask Baekhyun, Minjae and Yugyeom but not Taehyung. And in his naivety, Taehyung has trusted his boyfriend.

But the betrayal is real.

Jeonguk ordered Pizza Hawaii for him.

What a cruel world to live in.

"Wow, so this is it, huh?"

Jeongguk, who's not taken his eyes off Taehyung ever since they got back to the break room with the five pizza boxes in tow, nods slowly. Has been silently urging Taehyung to at least take one bite but the older is adamant to refuse.

"Yeah... I guess we weren't meant to be after all."

Taehyung is still eyening the pizza as if it personally offended him and the last seven generations of his family. He pokes one of the pineapple pieces, the dough beneath already turned soggy. His lips curl at the wobbly sensation on his finger.

"I mean, we can try to still be friends I suppose..."

Jeongguk nods solemnly.

Both Minjae and Baekhyun groan.

Next to Jeongguk, Yugyeom looks like an adorably lost puppy.

"What, what's going on?"

"Don't ask," Minjae huffs.

Baekhyun, forever the oversharing member of the group, leans over the table and starts loudly whispering to Yugyeom.

"Taehyung hates Pizza Hawaii and everybody knows it - especially Jeongguk. He's tried to get Taehyung to eat it twice already, I think, but failed horribly."

"Exactly!" 

The few seconds of Baekhyun letting Yugyeom in onto the open secret have been enough time for Minjae to get fed up with the whole thing. He's done being calm. With voice steadily growing louder, he points at Jeongguk.

"You, stop being a sadist and let the poor boy eat what he likes!"

Jeongguk blinks at him.

Minjae turns around to Taehyung.

"And you, stop being a baby and get over yourself! You guys keep doing this every time we want to eat pizza, just get over yourselves already."

Taehyung slowly lifts his gaze from the pretentious pizza sitting in front of him, to glare at his friend.

Baekhyun watches from the sidelines how Jeongguk's eyes turn piercing and his whole expression shifts into an intimidating farce. He gulps. Remembers there is a reason almost everybody of BT Designs is wary of the golden maknae. And that they are not on friendly terms for that long yet.

As the couple continues to silently seize up Minjae, the latter seems to realize a little too late that offending both of them at the same time was not the smartest move.

At least they are not bickering with each other anymore, sooo that's half a win?

Before anything majorly bad can happen though, Namjoon enters the break room, gives each of them a very long look and tells them to calm the down. (Well, he phrases it a lot more refined but that's the gist of it). And somehow the consequence of that is that Taehyung and Jeongguk remember their initial quarrel and thus get right back to it.

"As I keep telling you, pineapple does not belong on pizza, pizza is to be topped with savory stuff and not anything sweet. Sweetness destroys a wholesome pizza, which is why pineapple classifies as pizza killer," Taehyung states. Keeps his voice steady to not attract their boss' attention.

Jeongguk is already shaking his head at him.

"That's such bull, Pizza Hawaii is a dignified meal all around the world-"

"It's a hated meal all around the world, you mean."

"That's not what I mean and you know it," Jeongguk snaps. "Why would it be on offer in almost every country if people wouldn't want to eat it, huh? Riddle me that."

Taehyung shrugs. "All those idiots including you are wrong and I'm right, that's why."

Next to them, Minjae is shaking his head in resignation. Baekhyun and Yugyeom are leaning closer, always the ers for gossip.

Jeongguk huffs and stuffs the last bit of pizza into his mouth, then makes to get up.

"That's it. I'm not getting into any more stupid debates with you."

He's almost through the door and halfway down to his office when Taehyung exclaims with all the bravado he can muster without losing his own ,

"Earth isn't a planet."

Jeongguk stops dead in his track, takes a deep breath then whirls around.

He explodes.

"How the is EARTH NOT A PLANET-"

Taehyung grins.

As if he would ever allow Jeongguk to quit on bickering about unnecessary stuff with him.

Minjae smashes his forehead on the table and accidentally hits Taehyung's pizza. 

Taehyung counts it as double-kill.

 

Weekend comes, and so does Taehyung.

Was that a bad pun? Well, it's a lie anyway. Because guess who invited himself over for the next two days?

"Park Jimin, you better put that arithmetic witchcraft far away from me or I'm gonna puke," Taehyung deadpans.

Jimin pouts from his place at the table. Where he's been posing in such an obnoxious 'draw me like one of your French girls' way as greeting sight for Taehyung, the web developer first thought he was hallucinating.

Jeongguk, hot on Taehyung's tail, has taken one look at Jimin and turned around with a muttered 'Imma get more alcohol'.

"Well excuse you, I am just trying to keep my mind fit!" 

Taehyung rolls his eyes.

"You can do that perfectly well with other stuff. I don't know, try to learn German and translate Goethe in Korean or some , whatever. At least keep those ugly numbers of wickedness out of my sight."

"Aren't you a programmer? Aren't you supposed to love everything numbers and mathematics?"

Taehyung makes his way over to the fridge and chugs the remnants of his smoothie with his back pointedly turned to his friend. Who promised not to drop by unannounced anymore. Huh. Can't even trust your closest fellas.

What a cruel world indeed.

"Yes to the first, never to the second. These things don't go hand in hand exclusively. I can be a great programmer and still detest arithmetic from the bottom of my soul, Jims."

"You just say that because you didn't get along with our teacher in eleventh grade, Mr. Shin-"

"Hush, we don't mention such a cursed name in this household."

Jimin narrows his eyes at him.

"You are weird."

"Wow. That coming from a midget like you just hits me about as hard as jelly," Taehyung scoffs.

There is a thump and an outraged shriek. Jimin plops from the chair and starts to give chase. Not that he'd have much of a chance, not on Taehyung's turf and with these short legs.

"Yah, Kim Taehyung, you little -"

The door cracks open again and reveals Jeongguk carrying a whole canister of soju. He takes one look at the scene, at Taehyung running away from a furious Jimin who's crying bloody murder. His whole face lights up.

"What, are we playing Insult Jimin? Can I join in?"

Taehyung chokes on his laugh and almost runs against a wall at Jimin's squawk of incredulity.

"What in the ever-loving -"

Jimin's voice jolts up at least an entire octave until he sounds like a wheezing granny.

Shaken with laughter, Taehyung ends up toppling over the couch. He rolls on the floor and continues roaring there, holding his belly as Jimin charges at Jeongguk like an angry velociraptor. Taehyung is laughing tears, dude. He's so going to have belly cramps tomorrow.

Just before Jimin reaches the youngster, he freezes, fist mid-swing, as he watches Jeongguk pocketing the keys he just used to get in.

"Don't you want to give those back to Tae-Tae?"

It's not a question with so much venom in it. If anything, it's a threat. And boy, is Jimin ready to deliver.

Jeongguk gives him a quizzical look. Taehyung isn't sure if he just does it to rile up Jimin or if he really doesn't understand.

"No? These are mine?"

Jimin shrieks into his face.

"You have a key?!"

He turns around to Taehyung and points an accusing finger at Jeongguk.

"HE HAS A KEY?!"

Taehyung miraculously manages to get up on his own. He shrugs. Tries not to snicker at how his friend has 'betrayal' written all over his face.

"I mean, yeah? Of course he does."

Jeongguk sidles up to him and throws an arm around Taehyung's shoulder

"It's a boyfriend thing. You wouldn't understand, Jimin-ssi." He grins.

Jimin's face turns a spectacular shade of red.

 

The weekend passes and honestly, in hindsight Taehyung has no clue how he survived the literal war taking place in his apartment.

Weren't Jimin and Jeongguk on almost friendly terms at one point? Maybe he just dreamed that up, Taehyung concludes as he gets wrapped in a slightly too tight goodbye hug. Where did his precious weekend go? He feels robbed.

Right behind him, Jeongguk waves after Jimin's retreating figure.

"Bye, Jimin-ssi, hope to see you again never~" he hollers down the hallway.

Jimin gives him two middle fingers without looking back.

Taehyung closes the door and pinches his nose. He sighs.

"I want my weekend back."

"Aw," Jeongguk coos, wraps an arm around Taehyung's waist to pull him against his chest and gives him a peck on the cheek. "Don't worry, I'll give you the best massage ever until you don't even know the meaning of the word 'stress' anymore," he vows with so much conviction there is no way for Taehyung to decline.

That's how he finds himself sprawled on his bed a few minutes later, big towel beneath him and some soft zen music coming out of the speakers. He kept his boxers on - just to be sure his precious gets the much-deserved break of two days. Even if it did make Jeongguk pout rather dramatically. But there is only so much the body of a twenty-something man can take within a week. 

Taehyung had to pinky-promise Jeongguk to go at least one round on Monday evening. Which, weird. But also kinda cute. Is this going to become their new thing?

He hopes Jimin doesn't find out, or else he'll never hear the end of it.

The soft pitter-patter of feet on the marble tiles announces Jeongguk's arrival. Seems he found what he needed in the bathroom.

Taehyung keeps his eyes closed and hums as he feels the bed dip under the younger's additional weight.

Soon enough, there is cool liquid drizzling onto his back and then these hands he's grown so familiar with are everywhere, coating his back, neck and shoulders with the oily substance. Taehyung has a little déja vu of Jeongguk forcing him into a massage months ago as he's been over at the younger's place for the first time. And while Jeongguk gets to work and starts untangling all those knots, Taehyung's mind drifts further.

He remember's Seojoon's comment that he hasn't visited his favorite physiotherapist in quite a while. It's true. But with Jeongguk so willingly caring for him in whichever way, he thinks it might take him even longer to come back to the medic center the next time.

Just before he can drift off into dreamland completely, Taehyung remembers the thing he meant to ask Jeongguk the whole weekend.

"Gguk-ah..."

Jeongguk hums. His thumbs dig into Taehyung's shoulders just right, coaxing a drawn-out moan out of him.

It takes him a few minutes to remember he was about to ask something.

"Your birthday is coming soon, right?"

Another hum.

"Is there something specific you want? Maybe something you never thought would come true?"

Jeongguk's movements grow slower and silence settles between them. Taehyung pats around with his hand until he feels what might be Jeongguk's thigh. He gives it a gentle squeeze.

"Remember, money is not an issue. And no matter what you ask for, the answer is yes." Taehyung pauses, then adds, "Except if murder or something similar is involved, but you get the idea. So better ask big."

The younger doesn't reply for a long time, only focussing at massaging Taehyung with steady, careful hands.

 

The sun is almost setting and Taehyung is positive he doesn't have a single bone left in his body when Jeongguk speaks up.

"I've always wanted to go to a Cirque du Soleil show, one day. But I don't even know if they're still a thing," he admits at last.

Taehyung smiles.

Sounds like a plan.

 

On Monday, Taehyung is greeted to the sight of an overly enthusiastic Baekhyun almost shoving a box of tissues straight into his face.

"Yah, what the-"

"So I've read this on the internet last week and it's the bestest idea ever," Baekhyun gushes.

Thankfully, he takes the box out of Taehyung's face, giving the latter an opportunity to really take in what he's dealing with. (In his humble opinion it's too early to deal with anything at all but that's beside the point.) Turns out it's not just another box of tissues but a printed one. He narrows his eyes.

"Wait. Have tissue boxes always been part of the Hunger games merch?"

Baekhyun puffs out his chest.

"No? I made it myself, obviously. See, it says 'Hungry Games' instead of 'Hunger Games'..."

And sure enough under a pop-up picture of Katniss and Effi during the first reaping there are burning letters surrounding the opening for the tissues, reading 'The Hungry Games - May the odds be ever in your flavor'.

Taehyung has so many questions.

"I have so many questions," he says.

Baekhyun beams. Apparently that's been the right thing to say.

"Alright, so. We write little notes with all the places we can eat lunch at, or order delivery. Then we fold them up, throw them all in here and each day the game master - which is me - will pick one random note and that's what we're going to have for lunch, then."

"Wait, why are you the game master-"

"Because Jeongguk and you are literal children and wouldn't accept any choice that's not to your liking if one of you were to do the reaping," Minjae quips from right behind him.

Taehyung turns around and yells right in his ear.

He's surprised, okay? He thought he entered the office alone, with Jeongguk having gone ahead for once because he had an urgent bathroom appointment. And really, since when exactly has Minjae standing behind him?

The younger gives him a most unimpressed look.

"Wow, good morning to you too, hyung." 

Taehyung hasn't even entered his office room and he's already done with the day.

Great.

 

Huh. What is there to say? Sometimes it's really the best to listen to your gut feeling.

Taehyung should've known this would be a ty day by how it started. First, he almost gauged out his right eye when his hand slipped while brushing teeth. Then he got so damn surprised by Minjae popping up behind him out of literal nowhere.

And now this.

Jeongguk and him are last of their little group, Baekhyun and Minjae several blocks ahead of them on their way back to the office building, Mingyu and Yugyeom only a few steps behind them.

It could've been a normal walk down the street at the end of their lunch break, but no. Seems like the world really wants to test him today.

They're just crossing the street when someone bumps harshly into Taehyung. He turns around, already an apology on his lips - and comes face to face with Sang Haewon. He almost trips over his feet.

The small woman looks as intimidating as ever, with her pristine white suit and icy glare.

It instantly has bad memories rushing down on Taehyung. As if the flood gate opened that he's kept locked for the past few years. The mere sight of her is enough to set up a distorted choir of Mr. Gang, Jihoon and her in Taehyung's head, the voices repeating the same hateful words as ever in his mind, like a merry-go-round.

'You're an embarrassment. The disgrace of Crystal Gates.

Embarrassment, embarrassment, embarrassment-' 

He feels himself stiffening all over, face turning blank, frozen to an empty mask as he turns away and keeps walking. Uneasiness crawls up his lower back and with each heavy step, clammy fingers of dread dig into his stomach.

Just as he hopes Haewon will leave it at a disgusted look, the woman turns on her heel and follows Taehyung to the side of the street she just came from.

Taehyung sees Jeongguk giving her a curious look as she approaches.

There is nothing he can do. Taehyung is stuck in the throng of people passing the pedestrian lights as Haewon easily weaves through the masses until she's right next to him.

"Kim-ssi."

Her voice is deceivingly light, just like that hint of a smile tugging at her lips for a moment. She reaches up to clasp a hand at Taehyung's shoulder in what could be a friendly greeting. Weren't it for her manicured nails digging into the flesh like five needles. Weren't it for the next few words leaving in a barely toned-down hiss, for the pure poison spraying out of her eyes.

"I hope your pathetic rots in hell forever."

She retracts he claws and pats Taehyung's back, then turns around and heads her way without looking back.

Taehyung gulps around the giant lump in his throat. It doesn't go away. He faintly registers that his hands are shaking but there is nothing he can do about it, not when that old wound has just been teared open.

He must look the part, judging the unfiltered concern coloring Jeongguk's face.

The younger takes Taehyung's trembling hand in his and gives it a tight squeeze.

"You okay?"

Taehyung doesn't have the energy to nod. He just tilts his head a little as he keeps blankly staring ahead. His inner cinema is running full force now, so that he barely registers where he's working.

Jeongguk pulls him even closer. Practically shields him from their surroundings.

"Do you know her?"

Finally, Taehyung manages something like a nod.

"Yeah." His expression contorts into a bitter smile. "Yeah, you could say that."

 


Me: Okay, time to wrap this up with 30 chaps!

Also me: Didn't you forget the whole bullying trope?

 

...So yeah, no idea if finishing with the next chap is realistic. Anyway. Yay, another update!!!