Of yoyo magicians and mistletoes

Leave the light on (for me)

Okay, wow, Taehyung thinks. Color him impressed.

The first part of the show ends and just-

What the ?!

Where did the time go?

What kind of sorcery did he just witness?

 

He has the distinct feeling the twenty-five minutes of intermission won't be enough for either of them to recover from the shock that is watching Cirque du Soleil. Don't get him wrong, he knew they are kind of famous. But he wasn't prepared for that incredible spectacle that seemed to defy the laws of physics constantly.

Jeongguk seems to be faring not much better. On their way out of the Big Top he's still sporting the gaping fish mouth look, but as soon as they reach the tent with the retail and snack shop (they're in desperate need of a popcorn refill!), it's as if a dam breaks.

"Ohmygod, they really have life music through the whole show, I thought it was just a myth, but it's sooo good-"

And Taehyung is jut as bad. Thanks to his near-photographic memory he recalls all the insane details and soon enough the two of them find each other in a loop of hyping up the acts and their every minute detail.

"I know, and did you see the singer had a gramophone hat? Like, how cool is that?"

"Oh gosh, I know! And the stage is so pretty, like, it really looks like it's a century-old wooden floor, and then these strange machines, I don't really know what they are supposed to be, like, are they supposed to be for time-travelling? Is that what's happening in the show? Anyway they look so cool with the clusters of light bulbs and stuff."

Taehyung nods vigorously. This feels like they are back to being excited little boys. He's not complaining.

"And the costumes. Remember that one guy right at the beginning who legit was a train? And the insane skirt from that woman who seems to be some kind of fixture thorough the show? She was literally dressed as an optical illusion. And that accordion guy. How do you even come up with a costume that's eighty percent accordion trousers? And, and everything else?"

"Or that guy with his huge glowing turban, right?"

"Yes!"

They aren't even registering the people streaming past them anymore, too engrossed in their vivid talking. Maybe there are some popcorns flying around during their wild gesticulating but it can't be helped, okay? Just from watching these artists they are way too pumped up to take it slow now.

Jeongguk shoves another handful of popcorn in his mouth and doesn't even finish swallowing before he continues talking, too desperate to get out all of his excitement at least verbally.

"-and, like, I don't even know which act impressed me most so far cuz they're all mad good but that juggler who was literally flying right under the roof and then dropping back down without missing a single beat or dropping one of his juggling club thingies like, just, how? That's so insane dude, what the ?!"

"Don't forget the contortionists."

"Ohmygod yes, the contortionists! And the, that, the thing where he was throwing her around and catching her and she was just swinging around mid-air and doing tricks while he was strung up between the poles or whatever. If he'd dropped her from that height it would've been game over. What do you call that again? Wasn't it something Europe? Hungarian seesaw or something?"

Taehyung snorts so hard he inhales a popcorn and ends up coughing very un-gentleman-like. Jeongguk has to clap his back, which he maybe does a little too enthusiastically. 

Now not only Taehyung's nose and throat, but also his back are aching.

At least he's still breathing again so kudos for that?

"Gguk," he wheezes past some tears, "I'm pretty sure what you mean is called Russian cradle. Not Hungarian seesaw."

Jeongguk turns so red it's even visible under the colorful circus lighting.

"...Oh."

Taehyung chuckles and receives a jab to his ribs.

"Yah, I totally knew that!"

"Mhm. Sure."

"Taehyung! I did!"

Jeongguk's little fit lasts for about an entire minute before he breaks and turns back towards Taehyung. His eyes are sparkling like a child who's just shaken hands with their favorite superhero.

"Tae, the upside down balance act though? I mean, how the  did they build a chair tower from two directions like, seriously, what?! How do you build a chair tower starting from the ceiling? How did they even get under the roof?! This should not be possible. I'm so confused. What the ? How the ?"

Once the signal chimes to get back to the seats, they haul , eager not to miss a single thing of the second act.

 

Wow.

At times, Taehyung forgets altogether he's holding a big bag with popcorn in his hands. He only remembers as it almost slips his grasp and spills on the floor. Keyword being 'almost'.

But, honestly? How is he supposed to mind his snack when the most unbelievable yoyo performance is unfolding right in front of his very eyes? He didn't even know yoyos had the potential to be cool! That guy must be some kind of world champion. Insane, that's what he is.

Only after the yoyo act finished - the stunts were accentuated by the life performing violinist standing just a few feet away from the acrobat,  how cool is that - does Taehyung dare to chance a look at his boyfriend. Check how he's faring. He grins as he sees Jeongguk drooling soggy popcorn, mouth hanging slightly ajar and hand buried in his own popcorn bag, unmoving.

Cute.

Also, absolutely appropriate reaction.

Taehyung can relate, man. He's never seen anything like that sorcery just now. Ever.

 

The clown from the first act is back and Taehyung is crying tears.

He's been in stitches ever since the first caricatural cackle from the dude but when he spat feathers like the cat that just ate the canary - oh boy. 

He just can't.

Next to him, Jeongguk has abandoned the concept of sound and is shaking from head to toe with silent laughter. Mouth hanging open, eyes almost squeezed shut from his happy cheeks, hand clapping his thigh like a joyous seal. Little wheezes and puffs of air are all he can manage under the pressure of the laughter that can't even get out of him anymore.

Taehyung has half a mind to hope his boyfriend still gets enough air like that. 

The other half of his attention? Well...

Oh, oh no- 

Jesus.

Wait, does he want scratchies now? How does the cat act even look so real, he's not wearing a costume or anything, what the -

Is he- did he just-

The man falls down the couch's back rest with a loud thump and uncanny realistic meow of outrage.

Dude.

Taehyung is howling.

 

The show ends and everybody is in a daze.

Like, for real. Nobody even thinks about getting up for the next five minutes or so. The magic of Cirque is still reverberating and filling the air, like the sweet smell of cotton candy wafting through a midsummer night. 

 And finally Taehyung has time to breathe.

Because breaks between acts? That's not a thing here. Something is always happening. It leaves the audience reeling, in the best way.

But now Taehyung has time to collect himself and at least start sorting his thoughts. Can think about how, objectively seen, the clown act shouldn't have been that funny. Not 'ready to roll on the floor laughing' funny. A human impersonating his pets must've been an act done countless times already. Yet that guy just turned the whole concept brilliant.

It's all about the people, Taehyung muses.

And then registers the side glances he gets from the other people in his row.

Uhh. Maybe he should get going. With an apologetic smile he gets up, tugs Jeongguk out of his seat and pushes him to the walkway too.

They leave the tent as if in a trance. And as soon as they step into chilly night air-

Nothing.

The spell still refuses to break.

(Maybe it has to do with the staff being dressed phenomenally and the love they put into every detail even outside the show.)

(Maybe it's about Jeongguk clinging to his side with the dopiest smile and exclaiming "This is the best birthday ever".)

That night he learns, an excited and happy Jeongguk is a very talkative Jeongguk.

"Tae, their creativity is insane, like not only the set but also the costumes right? Like, these two guys in high chairs who looked like Neptun on a funky trip."

Taehyung nods and plucks the empty popcorn bag out of the younger's hand. He balls up both of their bags together and neatly tosses them into a nearby bin with barely more than a short side look in the direction. It's enough to shut up his boyfriend for a moment.

Jeongguk blinks at him.

"You- what-"

"My aim is pretty good," Taehyung shrugs.

"Oh... Is that... so."

He is thrown off for a little longer, until they pass a big poster of-

"Ohmygod, look, it's the two guys on the rope, they were sooo amazing! Like, gosh, can I do that for a living please? Did you see those insane acrobatics?!"

"Yes Gguk, we were in the same show. And you are right, they were great!" Taehyung can't help but grin.

"-and they were literally flying and just- "

Ah, there it is. Jeongguk found his weak spot of the night. Sure, the other acts have been great too but the rope guys were a special kind of treat. Eye candy in their own name. Taehyung's grin widens.

"I know, they were so gorgeous, a whole buffet."

Jeongguk halts. Taehyung almost runs into him.

"Wait, what?"

And Taehyung sure is a clever boy but he too sometimes has his dense moments. So he just keeps on rambling.

"Also, these hot bods kinda reminded me of... have you ever been to the Magic Mike live shows?"

Jeongguk tenses up even more. Then grabs Taehyung's hands in an almost painful manner and tugs him closer.

"Forget it," he snaps.

It has Taehyung finally taking in the younger's disgruntled expression. He furrows his brows.

"What?"

"I am not going there with you, I don't share."

"Why? Are you afraid I'll dump you for one of the performers?!"

"..."

"Wait, for real?"

Taehyung chuckles. His boyfriend is such a cutie.

"Aw babe, don't worry. I'm yours only, I swear."

Jeongguk breaks out into a bright flush, and in a spur pulls Taehyung against his chest to place an almost aggressive kiss on his forehead.

"Good."

Wow, Taehyung thinks. Haven't they come a long way.

 

To round up the evening, they decide to head for a local bar. To wind down.

Not... not that they've been winded up but. You know.

Anyway!

Things are going pretty decent and they are well into planning their next Halloween attire. Because has happened! (Because both of them fell in love with the entire concept of the show.) And after a few Google searches, they could be pretty sure that what comes closest to the Kurios concept is... steampunk.

yeah!

So steampunk partner looks it is. The possibly coolest style to exist on this planet.

They are just getting into a heated discussion of whether or not a top hat would look good on Jeongguk - it would look great on Taehyung, as they both agreed already - when the bartender interrupts them. Again.

It's not an issue, it really isn't.

Except, it is.

She is cool. An extrovert in her element, overflowing with energy. Almost like a rock star on stage or something, with one side of her head shaved off, other side covered in bright blue curls, numerous piercings in her ears and face, colorful tattoos climbing up her cleavage. Short clothes that are bordering on skimpy and on any other person might look ty but she makes it work, somehow. Loud voice, direct words.

In other words, she is the kind of person most mothers tell their kids to stay away from and don't even look at.

That doesn't mean she is intimidating, though. That's hardly the case, given her unrestrained joyful and happy attitude and chatty personality. All the while rocking the whole bar effortlessly herself.

Now all of this is not a problem on itself. The problem starts at the fact that she keeps chatting up Taehyung. Which he hasn't much of an issue with himself, but Jeongguk looks like he's bitten into a lemon every time she sidles up to their spots.

"Everything good on your end?" The lady calls over to them and gives Taehyung a broad smile while working the shaker. She even adds a few tricks for good measures.

Taehyung smiles back and lifts his half empty glass. "Yeah, thank you, miss."

She laughs.

"Call me Ashley, sweetie."

Winks at him, then turns back to finish mixing the drink.

Jeongguk is fuming.

"How dare- I am literally sitting right next to you and sharing snacks with you, our thighs are touching yet it is like I'm not even here?!"

Taehyung coos.

"Babe, it's not like she can see our thighs through the bar counter."

"But we are sitting close! And you just called me babe."

"Which, again, she had no chance to hear at that distance..."

"Still!"

Taehyung sighs. He never thought he would have to be the responsible one. That's usually Jimin's job. Except when it's not and he's being a hell spawn and the complete opposite of responsible instead. Chances are fifty-fifty, you never know which deal you'll get beforehand.

Okay so maybe it's not usually Jimin's job to be responsible after all. Then let's say... Seokjin's. In any case it's not Taehyung's. This is uncharted territory for him.

But he has a feeling that Jeongguk is not too far off to create a scene. Today it seems the restraints on his unfiltered emotions are quite loose. Both in a good and bad sense.

Not gonna lie though, slightly possessive and jealous Jeongguk is kinda hot.

That's...

That's probably not a good kink to get into.

Maybe they should have a talk about that. Only not today, on the younger's birthday.

So for now Taehyung tries to play peace maker.

"Okay okay, if you don't like it here we can just finish our drinks and then go. Sounds good?"

Jeongguk grunts something and takes a big sip. Then he shudders.

Taehyung can't help but think Karma's a .

"Brain freeze, huh?"

"Sh-shuddup."

"Uhum~"

They do finish their drinks quickly from then on, of course. Jeongguk all but inhales the remaining snacks. Like a vacuum, leaving nothing but crumbs in his wake. 

"Messy eater," Taehyung mumbles.

And instantly gets a death glare.

"Don't you dare."

"Okay, okay..."

They leave shortly after, Ashley calling after them to come back soon and giving a cheery wave.

"The hell we will," Jeongguk mutters.

Taehyung snorts. He almost chokes on it when he's suddenly dragged out of the bar. Jeongguk pulls him past the door and only a few steps further before stopping in plain sight of the bar's big windows. Grabs Taehyung's face with both hands and kisses him square on the mouth..

And.

Don't get him wrong, he likes it. But it's a lot more PDA than they usually do. Most of the time they are just holding hands and walking together, especially when nobody they know is around. So this is... a surprise, to say the least.

Alas, Taehyung does the sensible thing to do here.

He splutters.

"Whoa, wha- what the-"

"The moon is our mistletoe. We cant just not kiss!"

He gives a pointed glare over the older's shoulder.

Taehyung sighs.

"Alright, you jelly sap. Let's get you back to the hotel."

He entwines their hands and leads the younger to one of the busier streets to wave down a taxi.

"Jelly sap? That sounds like the name of some one dollar candy. Wait, are you saying I'm just candy to you?!"

The grin that's been starting to tug at Taehyung's lips turns a little wolfish.

"Hmm, maybe?"

He gives a tight squeeze to the younger's hand.

And suddenly Ashley seems to be no longer interesting at all.

 

Taehyung promises their taxi driver a generous tip if he hurries.

 

They make it back to the hotel in less than fifteen minutes. Thankfully. Jeongguk's already fidgeting in his seat. And Taehyung is not off too much better.

The hotel stuff doesn't so much as glance at them as they stumble towards the elevators. 

"Let me tell you one thing, Gguk," Taehyung breathes into the scarce space between them, "I don't swing that way. I'm a hundred percent organic pure gay man."

The younger gives him one of those scorching stares, thumb swiping over Taehyung's lower lip.

"Promise?"

"Promise."

They enter their suit and Taehyung dives for his suitcase. With a smirk, he turns back around to Jeongguk, holding their biggest in hand.

Jeongguk gulps and bites his lip.

Their night has just begun.

 

Turns out going so many rounds in one day was a brilliant move. Sometimes you just need some luck on your side.

On their long flight back, the two of them are properly exhausted. They sleep through almost the whole flight. Which is quite a feat, when you're stuck in  relatively small space for more than thirteen hours. 

All Jeongguk manages to get out is a weak "But the yoyo dude was the coolest I've ever seen in my entire life", with Taehyung nodding in agreement and then he's out like a light. 

Taehyung is not off too much better. He may manage to put on his headphones but is fast asleep before the first song on his playlist ends.

It's a good thing, however.

Because as they hit Korean ground, instead of being properly jet jagged like everyone around them, they both are properly refreshed. 

And determined to continue where they left off before. They might have discussed the glorious Cirque performance in length already but far not enough yet.

Taehyung scoffs.

"No, I don't care what you say, the hand ballet act was a genius thing, a piece of contemporary art, you hear me-"

"This is absolute bull and you know it. Strap dudes, yoyo man and chair tower guy are clearly superior."

"They are not!"

"Your arguments don't even make sense at this point, ."

"So what?! Maybe I'm refusing to make sense just now. And don't call me , you ing cactus," Taehyung snarks right back.

"I'm not a cactus, you asshat! What does that even mean?!"

"It means that you are being several pricks right now, obviously."

"How in the hell was that supposed to be obvious-"

They are still at it when they reach Taehyung's apartment. Jeongguk thankfully doesn't even question why he's brought here and not to his own flat. 

So it does come as surprise for him  - and for Taehyung, who temporarily forgot - when the older unlocks the door and pushes it open to reveal...

A very unimpressed Jimin, Seokjin and Yoongi.

Jeongguk gapes.

And it's Yoongi who s a cake into his hands that looks like something out of a horror movie.

"Happy ing birthday," the hacker deadpans.

Taehyung face-palms.

Suddenly the surprise party seems like a dumb idea.