02 Dilemma

Snowy Day at the Bakery
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Genre: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort

Summary: Hitomi remembered the story of her first love when she met Chaewon again

Word Count: 2176

Hashtag: #SSBB_Dilemma

 

Dilemma

 

Late. One word that defined Honda Hitomi. She saw Kim Chaewon's hand interlocked with Kim Minju's hand. She couldn't breathe, as if she had forgotten how to breathe. Her world crumbled.

 

Chaewon smiled at Hitomi when she saw her. The simple smile Hitomi missed this whole time, the eyes that shaped like a half-moon, her voice when calling her name. Hitomi could feel something slowly stab her heart.

 

She smiled back, faintly.

 

There's one thing that Hitomi wanted. Coming back to the past and telling Chaewon her feelings. Even if she rejects her, it's fine. Really.

 

Hitomi couldn't blame anyone else but herself. She hated herself who wasted every chance the universe gave her. Minju was ready to throw away everything for Chaewon, whilst she hesitated.

 

The past, the beautiful memories, and her smile, Hitomi would remember every detail of it and keep it in her heart. Where there's no one to find it.

 

***

 

"Hitomi…"

 

Hitomi heard a whisper from her side. She wasn't sure, but her head was already looking at someone beside her.

 

Chaewon smiled, "What are you doing?"

 

Hitomi kept silent for a couple of seconds, trying to understand exactly Chaewon’s question. “Doing the test? Like you?”

 

“Ah…” Chaewon hit her head, blaming her brain because it’s spouting an incomplete question. “I mean after this. Do you have any promise after this?”

 

Hitomi shook her head. Saying no and came back to the test paper. They’re on the math exam and Hitomi didn’t know why Chaewon asked her that instead of cheating. Well, morally speaking, this is better. But why?

 

Chaewon nodded and smiled brightly, “Okay, let’s eat tteokbokki.”

 

Hitomi let out a small sigh and smiled before Chaewon added something more. “Minju will be there too.”

 

Her heart stopped for a second.

 

So it's Minju again. Hitomi almost felt crushed when she heard Minju’s name. Hitomi nodded without looking at Chaewon.

 

“Hitomi! Chaewon! What are you two doing?" said the teacher loudly, "Don’t cheat, okay?”

 

Minju's name coming from Chaewon sounded unexpectedly heavy, to the point where she felt that the scolding from the teacher was way lighter than the word 'Minju'. Hitomi doesn't know why. She doesn't hate Minju. Not at all.

 

Before Chaewon called her, Hitomi was almost done with the test. There’s one more question and on top of that, she already knew this type of question. It just… her head couldn’t think and kept thinking about Chaewon and Minju.

 

The test was over before she realized it, and she left it empty.

 

***

 

“I love Chaewon.”

 

Hitomi stopped chewing the tteokbokki in . She blinked several times without looking at Minju who said it, rather she kept looking at the tteokbokki on the table. There were only two of them, three if the owner of the stall was counted as well. Chaewon went to the toilet.

 

Hitomi needed to react, at least say something because it’ll be weird without it. The silence after a strong statement is always suspicious.

 

“Ah…” said Hitomi. It’s the best she could do. She gathered all of her strength into her heart, trying to numb the feeling inside it, "Since… When?”

 

Minju blushed, she scratched her neck and her face suddenly turned a bit red, “I don’t know. I-... I’ve been thinking about her a lot lately. What should I do, Hiichan?”

 

I don’t know.

 

Hitomi smiled faintly, “Are you planning to tell her?”

 

Please say no.

 

Minju chuckled a bit, her Indian dimples were showing. She looked happy. She didn’t even care that was covered in tteokbokki sauce. “I think I will tell her one day.”

 

Ah…

 

Hitomi took out a tissue and wiped the sauce from Minju's mouth, “Tell me when you’re about to confess to her.”

 

Minju’s eyes widened. “Why? Will you help me?”

 

I need to prepare myself.

 

“Maybe,” Hitomi ate a big piece of tteokbokki, “Who knows?”

 

“Yaaa!” Minju’s whining, “Hiichan!”

 

***

 

“Hiichan!” Chaewon’s voice brought Hitomi back from her thought. “How many boxes of chocolate do you want?”

 

“Two,” Hitomi showed it with her two fingers. “Nako said she wants one box too.”

 

“Okay, just wait here. I’ll be back before you know it,” said Chaewon.

 

Hitomi smiled and nodded. Chaewon went to the cashier and ordered the chocolates. With only 2 of them there, Hitomi and Minju, it brought back the nostalgic feeling for Hitomi. It's still hurt.

 

They kept silent for a brief time. They’re good friends and close enough to call each other, it was just they’re not talking to each other a lot. There’s also nothing to talk about except several normal stuff.

 

“So,” Hitomi opened the conversation. “Since when have you two been dating?”

 

“Hiichan! We haven’t met for a long time and you start from there?” Minju laughed, She looked so pretty. Her dimples were showing like usual. “I won’t answer it.”

 

“Eh?” Hitomi was a little bit shocked by Minju’s answer. “Why?”

 

“No reason,” Minju sipped her coffee. “Maybe you can ask Chaewon about it.”

 

It was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter