Chapter 5

Chapters

It was a beautiful Saturday as Phoebe was shopping in the Myeongdong Market. She had already picked up a few new things for her flat to make it feel more like home. With a skip in her step, she headed towards the music store. Her bookshelves of books and albums seemed bare and needed a little sprucing up and maybe another album. Music played in the background in the store. Phoebe wasn’t too sure where to start but she knew her focus was on decoration so she headed to that section. 

           “Aww it’s a Tiny Hoseok,” She said under her breath as she picked up one of the figures, “Jeeze these things are a pain to get in the U.S. usually. Wonder if I should get the whole group…” She pulled out her phone for some advice from her mystery guy and snapped a photo. 

           Her: Should I just get J-hope or the whole group? 

           Hoseok was in the kitchen with Jin when he got the text. “Oh! Is it her? You two getting close?” Jin asked. 

           Hoseok looked at his phone to see the message and picture. “Yeah, it’s her. She’s wondering if she should just buy my tiny figure or the whole group. I’ll just tell her to buy mine so he can buy more stuff.”            

           “No! You make her out to sound cute so I want her to buy mine as well!” Jin had his pouty look on full show but it didn’t phase Hoseok. 

           “I’m sorry did she spill noodles on you?” Hoseok asked.

           “You’re not giving the rest of us a chance!” Hoseok laughed at the look on Jin’s face. 

           “You all thought I was crazy for giving her my number.” He looked down at his phone.

           Him: Just get J-hope since he’s your favorite. That way you have more money to spend on other stuff! 

           Her: Sound logic. Thanks! Hope your Saturday is going well! 

           Him: Going pretty good. Having lunch with a friend. Or… really he’s making me lunch. 

           Her: Ooo! What did he make?”

           “Hey Jin, get the food together, I need to take a photo.” 

           “Yes, let her know you didn’t make this. Women love a man who can cook,” Jin said with a cocky grin. Hoseok eyed him as he took the photo.

           “I already told her I didn’t make it!” He said as he sent her the photo. 

           “So… did she buy all of the figures?” Jin asked as he sat at the counter. 

           “No. Just mine.” Hoseok had a grin on his face. 

           “You’re really starting to like her aren't you.” 

           Hoseok stared at his food for a moment before taking a bite. He didn’t know too much about her other than she was a translator, from the U.S., has a co-worker who’s an , and that he was her bias. Did he like her? He thought she was cute and seemed to have a fun personality. His rule of being vague was biting him in the . 

           “I think I am… I don’t know just yet. I would definitely say she’s my friend.”

           “That’s how most of them start. Just tell her who you are and you’ll have it in the bag.” Jin stuffed his face with rice and almost choked on it. 

           “No, I want her to get to know me without the idol status.” With a blank face he watched Jin try not to spit out his food. His phone vibrated on the table. She had texted him back with a picture of her with the little J-hope figure. She had her blond hair in a tight ponytail with a cute smile that caught his attention. 

           Her: Food looks amazing! Just got J-hope but look how adorable! 

           Him: Looking cute! Bet J-hope would love this picture! 

           Her: Don’t you dare! 

           “Ugh, why did I even send him that photo. I feel like that broke the whole being vague rule,” She said to herself, “But I mean he has already seen me so…” Phoebe tried to juggle the bags as she got on the bus to head home. She sighed as she sat down and began to combine bags and check her phone. 

           Him: Why? I think he would find it cute! 

           Her: I knew you knew him! No don’t, it would be embarrassing. 

           Hoseok chuckled at her response. Jin just glared at him. 

           “Let me see!” Jin’s curiosity got the best of him and reached across the table to take a look. His eyes went wide once he saw a picture of her, “Oh! She is cute!”

           “Yes, now let me think of a good response,” He said grabbing his phone. 

           Him: Hey you never know! I could be J-hope.

           Her: Don’t even joke about that! 

           Him: Why?

           Her: Cause then I would have spilled noodles all over J-hope! 

           Him: Yeah but you were still cute. I mean I did ask for your number. 

           Her: Yeah, you do realize how weird you were that night, right? 

           Him: Sorry! I was trying to be smooth with noodles running down my shirt. 

           Her: You know that was my first night in Seoul, right? I was super jittery. 

           Him: Wait really? Sorry that was your first night.

           Her: Ah, it’s fine now. Made my first night memorable.  

           Hoseok laughed at the memory. He liked this side of her. He liked that she was opening up little by little with him. He had a week before he left for tour. He needed some way to tell her who he was before then. Hoseok didn't want to leave and have her figure it out while he was away. 

           “Jin what would be a creative way to tell her who I am?” 

           Jin looked up from his food and thought for a moment, “Show up at her work with flowers.” 

           “You know I would get swamped the moment I revealed myself but, that does give me an idea.” Hoseok quickly looked back to his phone.

           “What are you doing?” Jin asked. 

           “Seeing which concert my mom and sister are going to…” 

           “Wait you’re not gonna give your family tickets to her are you?” It was almost as if the lightbulb in Jin’s head , “OH! You’re gonna reveal yourself at the concert?”

           Hoseok smiled, “That’s my plan. Have flowers delivered to her from the mysterious convenience store guy with the tickets and I will do something or say something at the concert that only she will get and boom!” 

           Jin leaned back in the chair. “Genius! And make sure she can get backstage.” 

           Hoseok threw him a finger gun as he received a text from his mom. “Yes! They are going to the last concert. So now I just gotta figure out where the mystery girl works.” 

           Him: You planning to go to the BTS concert next Saturday?

           Her: No, I didn’t get tickets because of the move. 

           Him: What if I told you I had two tickets to the concert. Thought I could go but something came up. 

           Her: Since I haven't been able to go to one... probably love you. 

           Him: Ok lol Well, it would be weird of me to ask for your address so where do you work so I can send them there?

           She would be lying if she said she wasn’t a little afraid about him knowing where she worked but, it sounded like he wasn’t even coming. ‘Stop trying to play it safe. Get those tickets,’ She told herself.  

           Her: Booksburry on the 3rd floor. I swear if I gain a stalker after today… 

           Him: You won’t it’s literally impossible for me to stalk you. Trust me. 

           Her: Oh, I’m trusting you. 

           She got off of the bus at her stop dreading the long walk back to her flat. The sudden realization that she might be going to a BTS concert in Seoul hit her like a ton of bricks. She didn’t want to get her hopes up until she had the tickets in her hand but, who would she take? Paenji came to mind. She wasn’t sure if she was a fan but she was the closest thing she had to a friend here. 

           Once she finally got back to her flat she dropped her bags at the door figuring she would just go through them one by one. Her stomach growled in protest from the lack of food. 

           “I should have picked up food on my way home,” She mumbled. Phoebe trudged to her kitchen and opened the fridge. “Man, I wish I had a chef as a friend.” She began work on a pb&j for a quick lunch. 

           Him: What’s your favorite flower?

           Her: Blue Hydrangeas. Why?

          Him: No reason.  

“Why would he ask that?” She asked herself. Phoebe was now sitting on her couch munching on her sandwich and staring at her phone. “Maybe that’s how he’s delivering the tickets? But why not just have them delivered in an envelope…” Her eyes went wide, “ is he catching feelings for me?” 

They had been talking for a while through text but didn’t know anything about each other outside of personality traits and vague job descriptions. A part of her felt like she was thinking too much into it but the other part of her knew it was possible for both of them to start having feelings. To her, he seemed genuine and had done nothing to make her fear for her life. 

Her: They were my mother’s favorite. She used to grow them in our backyard. 

Him: Oh. Why did she stop?

It occurred to her that she never told him about her family. 

Her: My parents died in a car accident just before I moved here. 

Hoseok was shocked that she told him such a personal fact. He completely ignored Jin getting up and gathering the dishes as he stared at his phone. His heart began to feel heavy with this new bit of knowledge 

        Him: I am so sorry. I didn’t know…

        Her: I know and there’s nothing to apologize for. I have nothing but good memories of my parents and I take comfort in that. 

           Him: Do you have any other family?

           Her: A brother I don’t talk to. 

           Him: Did you come out here to start over?

           Her: Yeah… I’ve always played it safe. I wanted to do something that scared me. 

           Him: So you moved across the world. 

           Her: yeah. 

           Him: I can respect that. 

           Her: Glad to know someone does. 

           Phoebe began to go through her bags with a smile. It felt nice to open up to him a little about her past. There was no reason why she should do this alone. She was starting to want to meet him again with no mask and actually know him rather that be as a friend or as more than that. 

           Her: Will I ever get to know who you are and vise versa? You know, names and all?

           Him: Yeah, soon.