Chapter 24

Chapters

It was the day of the vote. Phoebe's stomach was all in knots. She had stayed with Hoseok the night before to help her sleep but even in his arms, she couldn't fall asleep. Paenji was waiting outside for her like usual but this time she had breakfast in hand. She smiled as she saw Phoebe get out of Hoseok's car. Paenji waited as her friend said bye to her idol boyfriend. 

"Today is the day! I brought you your favorite bagel and coffee!" Phoebe smiled at Paenji. 

"You're too sweet Paenji." She took the coffee and bagel and headed inside. 

"Did you get any sleep last night?" 

"Nope," Phoebe sighed, "Wish I could say that I didn't sleep for better reasons other than my debilitating anxiety." 

"But who knows, maybe today will be amazing!" She commented as she pressed the button to call the elevator, "Maybe your book will get approved!" 

"I'm not getting my hopes up." The two girls got into the elevator. Phoebe took a sip of her coffee. Paenji sighed wishing her friend would just relax. 

"Does Jhope have plans for you two tonight?" 

"I'm sure he does. He has a light schedule today so I think he's working from home. Last week almost killed the guys with learning a bunch of new choreography." 

"Yeah, Tae was pretty worn out Saturday." 

Phoebe sighed heavily knowing the next two hours were going to be the longest of her life so far. She shifted her weight as the elevator door opened up to their floor. Chan was already at his desk writing up notes for the meeting he was about to attend. 

"Big day today," Chan said without looking up at Phoebe. 

"Yeah, I know you can't say anything yet but I hope you enjoyed it at least." Phoebe tried to emote the same energy. 

"Welp, we will find out soon enough if your book is among the next batch to be published." He closed his notebook and stood up to head to the meeting. Phoebe sighed and slouched in her chair. 

"It's gonna be a long two hours Paenji. I could use a glass of soju right about now." 

"It's too early for that. Just finish your bagel and coffee and have a bottle of water." Paenji rubbed Phoebe's arm. Phoebe blew a puff of air to move a strand of hair. The two hours went slowly for her. She tried to get as much work done while also trying to control her anxiety. It did help she was getting a flood of funny images from Hoseok included with a heartwarming selfie. 

Phoebe's anxiety shot up when she heard the elevator ding behind her. Mrs. Lee and Chan exited the elevator not looking at Phoebe. Her heart dropped at the lack of excitement or eye contact from both of them. Paenji looked back and forth between Chan and Phoebe. Chan continued to keep his gaze at his computer despite the saddened gaze he was receiving from Phoebe and the death glare from Paenji.

"Have you thought about cover art?" Chan's question didn't really hit her at first. 

"Wait what?" 

"Your book's cover art. Have you thought about an art style or..." He smiled as she saw her face transform from confused to excited. 

"Wait, my book got approved?" Chan nodded in response. 

"Unanimously." 

"Wait, you voted to approve?" Paenji asked. 

"I can't deny talent Paenji." 

It came in one giant wave. The happiness and the tears of joy overcame her as she jumped up and cheered. Paenji joined her and hugged her tightly. 

"Lunch is on me today," Phoebe giggled at Paenji.

"Actually," Mrs. Lee interrupted, "Lunch for everyone is already on me. Already ordered lunch to celebrate your first book being published." Everyone cheered to that. 

Phoebe was cleaning up from lunch in the breakroom when Chan approached her. 

"So, I've been wondering," Phoebe began, "Why didn't you go through with your threat?" 

Chan took a moment to think about how to answer. She could tell in his expression he knew he had treated her poorly. 

"It's my messed up way of saying that I acted poorly and that I'm sorry. As you can tell I don't know how to act around people I like. I'm not asking for forgiveness but I couldn't reject a book that is well written and would make the company money. Also, just in case your boyfriend is head of the mafia..." 

Phoebe laughed at his guess, "My boyfriend is not a mafia boss but, thank you for approving the book." 

Chan nodded and smiled as he walked back to his desk. Phoebe looked at her phone seeing Hoseok had texted her. 

Hoseok: Have you heard about the book? Asking for a friend. 

Phoebe bit her lip before heading over to Mrs. Lee. "The boyfriend wants to celebrate..." 

"Are you sick?" Mrs. Lee looked concerned over Phoebe, "Oh no! Did you get food poisoning? MY dear, you should go home and drink plenty of water." Mrs. Lee shooed Phoebe back to her desk to pack up for the day. "Now go home and rest. I'll see you tomorrow bright and early feeling much better." Her frantic nodding finally sent the message to Phoebe. 

"Oh yeah, I'll go rest. Thank you, Mrs. Lee." Phoebe politely bowed as she backed up to the elevator. Once in the elevator, she shot Hoseok a text. 

Phoebe: Are you still home? 

Hoseok: Yeah... everything ok?

Phoebe didn't bother to answer. She wanted to surprise him with the good news in person. Reaching the street, she waved down a taxi and gave him the address to the apartment building next to Hoseok's. For the entire car ride, she couldn't help but smile at the thought of how her life was turning around so magnificently. A stray tear fell down her cheek as she silently spoke to her parents. 'I did it, mom and dad... I did it.'

The taxi pulled up to the apartment building. She quickly paid and got out before practically sprinting to Hoseok's apartment. Hoseok came to the door after she rang the bell. He had a concerned look on his face as he opened the door. "Hey babe, is everything ok?" Phoebe didn't answer. Instead, she hugged him tightly and burning her face into the crook of his neck giggling. 

"It got approved! My book is getting published!" 

It took a moment for her words to sink in and for him to comprehend them. A smile grew on his face. He pulled away to look at her bright and smiling face. Their lips connected in a passionate kiss. "I knew you could do it," he whispered. He picked her up and wrapped her legs around his waist and didn't put her down until they were inside his apartment. 

"How should we celebrate?" Hoseok was wearing a closed smile showing off his dimples as he still held her in his arms. 

"Hmmm dinner here with the guys and Paenji?"    

"Sounds like a plan," he said with a smile.