Chapter 6

Chapters

Monday had come too fast for Phoebe. She spent the rest of her weekend decorating and plotting out her book idea, an idea that kept evolving. Chan had a stern look on his face as she sat down at her desk. 

           “Did you have a good weekend Chan?” She asked. 

           “I worked all weekend.” He didn’t even look up to respond. 

           “Oh? I thought you were ahead of schedule on your project.” 

           “How do you think I got ahead?” He was now glaring at her. “What did you do?” 

           “I did some shopping for the flat and worked on my writing project.” Phoebe tried really hard to not feel small when talking to him. She figured if he just took one weekend off he wouldn’t act like an . 

           “I hope your project gets published or else is it really worth the time?” His statement made her chest hurt. She looked down from his intimidating glare and took a sigh of relief when she heard Paenji come from the elevator. 

           “Hello dear, how was your weekend?” Paenji asked as she sat next to Phoebe. 

           “Pretty good actually.”

           “Did you talk to your mystery man?” 

           Overhearing Paenji’s question, Chan raised his gaze. “Wait you’re still talking to that random guy you met your first night here? Do you even know his name?” 

           “Yes and no,” Phoebe answered him, “How do you even know about that?”

“You two are loud sometimes.” His matter of fact answer made both girls shrink in their chairs. Phoebe got to work on her translation project. Her mind was still on the conversation she had with her mystery guy yesterday. She might as well start referring to him as a friend. There was some level of trust between them and he said that they would meet soon. Phoebe sighed out of frustration. Paenji was about to ask her what was wrong when a delivery man came with a small pot of hydrangeas. 

“Uh…” The delivery man took a double-take at the envelope, “Convenience Store Cutie?”

“That would be me,” Phoebe said knowing she would have to explain the story and go through a gambit of questions and concerns. She took the flowers and envelope. 

“Did he figure out where you worked?” Paenji asked. 

“No, I told him,” Phoebe answered as she sat the pot of flowers on her desk. “Holy ,”

she whispered in English, “He really did have tickets.” 

           She pulled two BTS tickets and a card from the envelope. 

           “Are those what I think they are?” Paenji asked with wide eyes. 

           “Two front row seats to this Saturday’s BTS concert? Yeup.” 

           “FRONT ROW!” Paenji yelled. “So, who are you gonna take with you?” 

           “You wanna tag along?” Phoebe had a smirk on her face. 

           “Hell yeah!” Paenji celebrated in her chair. Chan glared at the two girls while everyone else in the workgroup returned to their projects, some laughing and the rest had quiet smiles on their lips. Phoebe took a look at the card that was also in the envelope. 

           

Enjoy the show and remember to eat lunch today! Don’t need you to miss the show because of malnutrition! Also, let the flowers make you think of fond memories on those hard days.
                      -Convenience Store Guy

 

           Phoebe held back the tears that threatened to run down her cheeks. She honestly wasn’t expecting such a kind gesture. Also. she didn’t expect him to get her tickets much less front row tickets. 

           Hoseok was riding in the car with Namjoon and Yoongi on their way to rehearsal when he heard his phone go off. He immediately smiled knowing that she must have gotten his gift. 

Her: I got the flowers. 

Him: Oh? Did you like them? 

Her: They are beautiful. Thank you. 

Him: Good, I’m glad you like them.

Her: But who are you that you were able to get these tickets?

Him: I told you that I write songs. 

Her: You’re gonna slip up one of these days. 

Him: Do you want me to?

Her: Kinda…

Namjoon was half asleep next to him and couldn’t see the smile Hoseok was wearing. In less than a week, she would be able to thank him face to face. A part of him was nervous about her finding out her mystery guy was in fact her bias. 

Him: Why? 

Her: So I can properly thank you and not just send you a text. 

Him: Like I said, soon. 

           ‘Soon,’ Phoebe kept saying that over and over wondering when soon was. She wasn’t sure how much time had passed when Paenji caught her staring at the flowers that were sitting on her desk.

           “Hey, you ok?” 

           “Yeah, just in deep thought,” She saw that it was almost noon at this point,  “Wanna grab lunch and talk about Saturday?” 

           Paenji nodded with a smile and got up gathering her things. The pair headed to their favorite noodle shop a few blocks away. Phoebe was still deep in her thoughts while Paenji was humming with a smile. She stopped noticing her friend still in deep thought. 

           “What’s on your mind?” 

           Phoebe mulled over her thoughts for a moment. “Is it possible to be at least friends with someone who you don’t even know their name?”

           “Well, I guess it is possible. I mean he hasn’t lied to you about his name. You two set ground rules at the beginning about what type of information would be exchanged and to my knowledge you both have followed those rules.” She stopped talking for a second to arrange her next sentence, “You two definitely have some kind of relationship. As for classifying it as friends or anything else is up to you two.”

           “I don’t know if that helped me…” 

           “Well, it’s definitely an odd situation you’re in but, what if you do meet and he’s rich and handsome?” 

           “This is not some drama Paenji,” Phoebe laughed, “But I wouldn’t care if he was rich or handsome. I like what I know about him. I like his thoughtfulness.” 

           “Maybe that’s what he wanted,” Paenji pointed out, “Maybe he is rich and handsome but he wanted you to start to like him without you knowing that.” 

           “Again, not a drama. This is real life.” Phoebe loved to write fantasy and dramas but she knew that what Paenji was talking about would never happen. 

“If anything, this guy is a normal dude who is just a songwriter with some connections,” Phoebe thought out loud.  

“Still, it’s a good idea for a book. By the way, how is that coming along?” 

“It keeps evolving with my real-life version of it.” 

The two girls walked into the noodle shop starving. They sat down and ordered what had become their normal lunch. Phoebe decided to not worry about her mystery guy for the moment. Instead, the two hashed out details about Saturday. Hoseok was also planning out Saturday during breaks. He was given the ok to have the two girls come backstage and he had already talked to the head of security for that night. 

He was so nervous for so many reasons. Hoseok worried that she may reject him for deception and he was worried that she may not come. The fear of falling off stage was always at the corner of his mind. By the end of the day, he was exhausted physically and mentally. He was laying on the floor with his half-eaten sandwich next to him. The rest of the group noticed his behavior and grew worried about him. 

           “You ok man?” Jungkook asked. 

           “Just nervous.” 

           “You haven’t gotten nervous about a concert in a while though,” Jungkook replied. 

           “It’s because he’s going to meet mystery girl face to face for the first time after Saturday’s concert,” Jin interjected. 

           “Oooooh is that why you were talking to security about a couple of fans coming backstage?” Namjoon asked. 

           “I shouldn’t be nervous. I mean I haven’t deceived her. I may have lied about not being J-hope but, what if she gets angry because she feels deceived? What if after this she changes how she acts around me. You know, treats me like an idol and not as she does now?” 

           “You won’t know until you tell her who you are. Just remember you got us if she does reject you.” Yoongi added. Hoseok signed as he looked up to the ceiling. His mind was racing at this point making the possibility of sleep later impossible. His phone next to his head pinged with a new message. 

           Her: Hope your day went well! 

           Him: Stressful but good. How about you?

           Her: About the same. Just made it home gonna figure out what to eat. 

           Him: I hope it’s better than a chicken sandwich. 

           Her: That actually sounds good but, I want it fried. 

           Fried chicken sounded good to him as well. He wanted comfort food, not a post-dance rehearsal meal. 

           Him: That does sound good. Think I’m finally heading home too. 

           Her: You haven’t stopped working yet?

           Him: Nope. Crunch time. 

           Her: For?

           Him: Secret. 

           Phoebe sent him a picture of her making a frustrated face. His fears faded away for a moment as he thought how excited he was to finally see her face again.