Belonging

Ace of Hearts

Namjoo’s eyes uneasily wavered. So full of guilt.

It was nearly over now.

Shifting to face him, she introduced, “Sehun, my mom.”

“Oh…oh!” Coming to he instantly bowed. Greeting her, breathing a little faster because he was overjoyed and also caught off guard. “Mother.”

Her mother raised a brow. Roving eyes over him. Shooting her a glance she murmured, “I see.”

Closing the door Sehun hurried inside. “Let me get you some water.”

opened to retaliate, but the woman already brushed past.

Ecstatically fumbling through the shelves Sehun brought down an expensive glass cup Namjoo had never seen before. Seeming energetic as if he’d been home all day having woken up from a long seasonal slumber.

“Please sit down.” He gestured to her mother to sit. Politely sliding the glass over he smoothed out his uncreased suit before sitting opposite her.

Guessing there was no choice, Namjoo sat beside him. Awaiting the next scene to unfold.

Confrontation between a stricken mother and an overzealous husband.

“Sorry, I look like a mess.” Sehun nervously apologized.

Namjoo frowned. He was as clean shaven as ever. Not a hair out of place. His suit was still in tiptop shape as it was when he pulled it out of the closet to wear. The guy hadn’t even taken off his jacket. No wonder he was sweating buckets!

She wished he’d stop exaggerating. It made him look worse by the second. As if her mother was here to scrutinize him.

“You love my daughter?” Jina asked.

“Mom.” Namjoo whispered not expecting her to go down this path.

“Yes.” Sehun replied. He was so skittish it was kind of adorable seeing him this way. So highly strung in front of her mother. Confessing his feelings for her. The love they recently declared for another.

Strangely, she was happy and sad at the same time.

Sehun was so sweet. She really wished she deserved this.

One take at his form and he was like a powerful wall standing by her, protecting her. Shielding her from all odds. She needed nothing else if she could keep dreaming about that white knight coming to sweep her off her feet.

But…

Dreams are but dreams.

“You are aware my daughter’s background is not significantly solid. We’re not an amicable family.”

“I know.” Sehun asserted. “I know everything, but I still want to spend the rest of my life with her.” Perking up more eagerly, “I promise I will take good care of her. You don’t have to worry about anything.”

“Ha!” her mother laughed. “When she lives in such a big house, what kinds of things does she need to worry over?”

Sehun smiled then didn’t then tried again unsure. Anxious he peeked at her for assurance.

“Mom, please.” Namjoo begged.

“Let me stay the night.” Her mother said. “I’d like to get to know my son-in-law’s family.”

“What?!” Namjoo spat shocked.

On the other hand, Sehun’s eyes lit up brightly as if he’d seen God himself.

“Yes! Yes, certainly,” Sehun eagerly welcomed her. “I’ll get someone to prepare your room right away. Please, make yourself at home.”

Excusing himself he left the table to go in search of Cleaner Jin. Wheeling on her mom, Namjoo yelled, “Are you crazy?!” before chasing after Sehun.

He was at the end of the hall phoning the cleaner. Finishing he turned to her all smiles. He never looked more alive. This was absurd!

“How did I look?” Sehun was still hung over his impression. “Did I look bad? Your mother didn’t look down on me too much? I should have offered her some snacks. Jesus, I messed up! Do we have fruits in the house? What food does your mom like? I’ll tell the cook to go buy the best quality!”

Sehun was so high. Distressing over every tiny detail. Over-worrying because every small thing mattered that much to him. Witnessing this side of him touched her deeply.

How could she tell him to snap out of his daze?

She didn’t want to hurt him.

Touching his arm, she gently smiled. “You did good.”

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

Sehun was overly pleased knowing his parents weren’t against Namjoo’s mother. They treated her with open arms. Offering the best hospitality possible. Relief plundered him as he watched them laugh together.

“Your mother has a talent.” Sehun quietly commented. “She can comfortably talk to anyone about anything. Wish I had that ability.”

“It’s not a talent,” Namjoo told slicing her steak up. “She’s just like that.”

“I like your mother. She’s outgoing and seems fun. I want to get to know her more.”

“Don’t get your hopes up.”

“Why?”

“She’s a busy a woman.” Namjoo popped a slice of meat into .

“I think you’re the same.” He leaned in. Grinning when she turned, he went on, “You’re talkative and you’re not shy about it.”

“Are you discreetly reprimanding me?” Namjoo eyeballed him.

Breathing a laugh, he clarified, “Speaking the truth. You’re always finding ways to counter me.”

“I do not.” She denied.

“Do, too.” He stated. “Think about when we first met, but it’s ok because I love you now.”

Scrunching up her face she veered back to her plate.

After dinner his parents went the extra mile walking them outside.  

“Look after her, Sehun.” His father told.

“It was so nice meeting you.” His mom clutched onto Namjoo’s mother’s hands. “I’m so thankful you looked after our Namjoo in the city.” Telling him, “Treat her well. She may not be Namjoo’s real mother, but she is still one of your in-laws.”

“What?” A frown sparked across his face confused.

Abruptly laughing, Namjoo cut the moment off. “It’s getting chilly. Don’t worry about us and go back in. Have a good night.”

Bidding a last farewell Namjoo put her arm around him ushering him forward. Sensing something was amiss he observed her. Namjoo avoided him.

“How long will you be staying?” Namjoo asked.

“How long should I stay?” her mother ambiguously questioned. Increasing her pace, she went ahead of them.

Sehun watched their exchange lost. “What’s going on? Did you two argue?”

Sighing, Namjoo stared longingly after her mother. He had no idea how to describe the tone of the situation.

Mother and daughter should be hugging after a long time apart.

“It’s not like that.” Namjoo sullenly answered. “I lied that she’s not my real mom.” Her eyes skidded up toward him then away. “I’m a liar again.”

Wrapping an arm warmly around her shoulders, he comforted, “We’ll fix it, and I’m sure your mother understands.” Squeezing her shoulders, he led her forward, “By the way, why didn’t you tell me she was coming? I would have returned earlier.”

“Sorry,” Namjoo apologized. “It just happened abruptly.”

“That’s ok. Let’s go in. Your mom might get lost inside.”

Namjoo scoffed. “Your house isn’t even that big.”

Per Namjoo’s words, her mother had easily found the second-floor guest room. Unlocked and prepared for her. Currently inside and exploring. Fond memories poked at him. This being the room Namjoo first occupied. Felt just like yesterday everything started.

“Is everything to your liking?” Sehun asked. “Let me know. I can change it for you.”

“No need. It’s a lovely room.” She replied.

“Then I’m glad. Have a good night, mother.”

Firmly smiling she nodded. Namjoo peeked inside once then followed him to the master bedroom.

“Why don’t you shower first?” Namjoo suggested. “I should find something for my mom to change into.”

“Ok then. You probably want to spend some extra time with her.” He sympathized. Walking over he gave her forehead a kiss. Gripping her hand before heading into the bathroom. As he undressed, he started planning for tomorrow’s breakfast. He’d also need to find a way to explain to his parents Namjoo’s mother was her biological mother. Not some random woman.

Then the pregnancy. How quick could he get that over with?

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

Namjoo waited for the door to close. Going into the closet she pulled out a shirt and sweats. Inhaling she trekked down the hall to the guest room. Her mom was sitting on the bed. Purse next to her. Its contents poured out beside her.

“What’s that?” Jina asked.

“Clothes.” Namjoo showed the obvious.

“No wonder you don’t want to come home. Living the high life here all by yourself. You don’t have to lift a hand or carry a pan. You’re treated like a princess. I can see why your mom is embarrassing.” Her mother ranted rubbing her lipstick off.

Sitting down Namjoo tried, “It’s not like that. Mom.”

“Oh? I’m your mom now?” she pettily said.

Setting the clothes aside, Namjoo dropped her hands on her lap. “Then what should I do?”

“Woman up and walk out of here.” Holding her eyes, her mother lectured, “Don’t be shameless and try to take something that’s not yours. You don’t belong here. We don’t belong here.”

“Mom, I love him.” Namjoo scratched her pants.

“Yes, he’s very handsome, isn’t he? You’re head over heels for him.” her mother stated. Covering her hand with her small fingers, she convinced, “But love does not guarantee a lifetime of happiness. What of his parents? You can’t spend an eternity lying. It’s going to become a shadow over your head. You’re not even pregnant. You don’t have a guarantee of his family name over your head. Doing this will become a weight on your back, Namjoo. Listen to me and don’t live like that. That’s not happiness.”

Namjoo’s heart shook. However, it was impossible to come to a resolution.

She loved Sehun so much. Parting from him was like tearing off her skin.

Heaving a sigh, her mom gave up. “It’s late. Go to sleep.”

Getting up Namjoo sauntered back to the bedroom. Sehun was out and already dressed. “Back already?”

“Yea. I’ll be out soon.” Heading into the bathroom she closed the door. Heart heavy.

She took her time washing up. Changed into dry clothes and switched the lights off. Sehun was awake and waiting for her. Flipping over to face her he rubbed a thumb across her cheek.

“I’m happy.” He shared. “Meeting your mom. Mom and dad likes her. But hey, don’t worry about anything. I’ll work a way around it, so don’t feel to bad about your mom. If my parents get angry, I can take the brunt of it. Besides, they love you too much to ever be upset with you.”

“Sehun,” Namjoo tried to imagine every feature of his face through the dark, “you don’t have to take it on yourself.”

“But I will. Because I love you.”

She could even hear his smile without actually seeing it. How was it possible that he was so good?

“Just relax and take care of yourself. I don’t want you to be so stressed. Getting your hormones worked up might be bad for the baby.” he chuckled. Changing the topic, he asked, “Do you feel any different lately?”

“Different?”

“Well, I read on the internet that some women have an intuition about being pregnant. So?”

“Nothing’s changed. I feel the same. Hungry every hour.” She giggled.

“Then,” he tried, “what about weight gain? Does it happen early on? Have you weighed yourself?”

“The clothes still fit the same.” Namjoo told.

Sehun clucked his tongue. “There’s nothing then. Guess we’ll have to wait till later.”

“It’s getting late. Don’t you work tomorrow?”

“Fine.” He muttered. “I just wanted to talk to you.”

She laughed humored. “Good night, Sehun. I love you.”

“I love you, too.”

Her mother was up first thing in the morning. Going through the kitchen, fussing over what the cook was making. Both curious and interested in the works around the home. Call it a habit of a mother who worked nights and slept late in the afternoon only once her duties were accomplished.

“You’re finally awake.” Her mother remarked seeing them come down together. “Good morning, son-in-law.”

“You’re up early, mother.” Sehun greeted. “Did you sleep well?”

“Of course. With such a nice bed, who wouldn’t sleep well?” her mother cheerily said.

Namjoo warily stared at her.

“Please, sit down.” Sehun the ever-polite man this morning gestured to the table. “Is there anything you’d like to drink? Coffee?”

“In fact, I’ll take a glass of water.”

That expensive glass Namjoo had never seen before. Did Sehun intentionally stock it away in case there was an important guest or what?

“Are you staying another day?” Namjoo asked. “Who’s managing the club?”

“Look at him all dressed up.” Ignoring her, she leaned over to the side, scoping Sehun out. “He has a nice .”

“Mom!”

Coming over, Sehun set down the glass. He gave her a frown as he sat. “What?”

“That’s just like her,” her mother waved her off. “Always getting worked up.” Taking a sip of the cool water, she gasped satisfied. “This taste so good. Must be expensive water.”

“Seriously…” Namjoo mumbled running a hand up her face to massage her forehead.

“Are you leaving right for work?” her mother asked.

“Yes. After breakfast,” Sehun answered. “If you’re heading somewhere, I can give you a lift.”

“That’s nice of you, but I’ll stay a bit longer.”

Namjoo was beginning to dread this.

Over breakfast her mother continuously made exclamations about the foods. How hard the cook must work everyday preparing their meals. Lovely set of plates! Where did you get them? Oh, I can never afford that with my salary. Look at the delicacies of this and that!

Namjoo took note that Sehun generously let them wolf down majority of the food. For the first time Namjoo felt like a rabid hyena scarfing leftovers shamelessly. This morning she put down her spoon and fork faster than usual.

Sehun didn’t kiss her goodbye as he left. She was kind of sorry for it.

“You’re not really staying another night, are you?” Namjoo asked.

“Have you had ?” her mother asked gnawing on the last piece of meat.

“Mom!” Namjoo’s face went red.

“Don’t get pregnant.” Her mother cautioned. “You haven’t forgotten what I told you, have you? This is not your place, so come home.”

Finishing her fill, her mother wiped her greasy hands with a napkin.

“I’ll be going home. Don’t walk me out.”

Namjoo listened to the door close. She spent the rest of the day mulling over the conflict in her head. The quiet seeped in hauntingly like a ghost crying.

Namjoo walked from room to room. Running her hands over the walls. The building she regarded her safe place. Remembering every event that occurred in this spot. Sehun kissing her here. Arguing with him there. Hugging and being affectionate with him. Where they started making love on the countertop.

On the patio where she’d promised to stay with him. Staring out the glass door fondly Namjoo recalled the very day she’d given him her ok.

Not long ago when they professed their love.

It went back to normal for a day and eight hours.

That day it was Madam Oh who rang the doorbell. The fragile woman saying the words of doom, “Let’s talk.”


***And towards the end we go! Last update for the week! Enjoy!