How the Night Ended

Ace of Hearts

12 hours ago, it started like this…

“Namjoo! Namjoo! Namjoo!”

Night life was as lively indoors as it was outside. Down the corridor past the fake banana tree plastered into the corner, the bar counter seats was all occupied. On the dance floor the sweaty drunkards were grooving to the DJ zapping his fingers at swift lightning speed on his magic keyboard. The stereos were on full power pumping out every beat, thud, bass, electronic, hypnotic noise possible.

VIP love seats, the plushiest of the plushiest on the market, bordered the dance area. A slick dressed man, a short-skirted woman or a few more took the tables, rubbing legs, touching, and flirting. At every table sat a pitcher of beer, expensive as heck liquor, and smelly shot glasses – all of them emptied. The men, the women, the high schoolers with fake IDs, and young adults were all packed into the Moon Club on a Thursday night.

Mediocre. Kind of high class, but affordable enough for a blue-collar employee to play for one night. A building with high shiny black panels, dome lights, and six stairs led to entry. At the front door two burly bodyguards guarded the entrance. Double checking dress code, valid IDs, securing the safety of the club. They were the most important assets of her family’s business.

Up the stairwell and past a short, narrow hallway disco lights flared, bouncing off the walls like they, too, were dancing to music. Straight past the sleek bar counter offering top-notch twelve leather cushioned stools where behind the bartender manned liquor, beer, and miscellaneous beverages called water and soda the hall s right into the private area. Circling back to the hallway beyond the fake banana tree, leaves drooping so bad the new hire had been watering the pitiful plant in hopes of restoring its life until he was told the tree was fake. He had blushed so madly Namjoo couldn’t laugh.

Down the private corridor the six rooms on either side required reservation before use. The most expensive VIP club members used the cordoned rooms to conduct business. Maybe have fun secretly. Majorly if a client came with enough money the room was rented.

To add to the private security, soundproof doors blockaded passersby from eavesdropping. Those rooms were the best of the best. Luxurious with sectional leather couches along three walls, a giant marbled table that could fill up twenty servings of food, and an 86” ultra HD television screen including two microphones for karaoke. Specific bar girls were hired out for hours if requested.

Whatever went on in the drinking karaoke room was private to whomever had paid out its hours. Availability didn’t weigh in. It was a first come first serve basis, a rule instated by the club’s madam, her mother, Jina.

To much of Kim Namjoo’s disappointment, her mother never allowed her inside. Even if her mother ran the hell out of the place and started implementing an service she’d been a part of since turning 18.

As an , majority of the time Namjoo accompanied bored patrons for fun, getting out of it several hundred dollars in payment. Bargain your business she had learned through much experience. Generally, she got less if the night was spent with a younger man so she went for older.

She never slept with strangers. Hence the difference between an and a e who worked for ual favors.

But tonight, the problem proved different.

Very different.

“Namjoo!”

Namjoo had just left the washroom. A sleek black walled paradise resonating luxury with eight stalls and long mirrors behind the deep silver sinks. The cleanest of the cleanest room in Moon Club. Not to forget the air purifiers. They smelled of Hawaiian heaven.

“Namjoo!” Short skirt, five-inch-thick pumps, and a skinny top Moonbi ran in her direction. At the sight of the younger sister that wasn’t really her biological sister but she called sister anyway, Namjoo about zeroed around in the opposite direction. Pretend not to see the gal.

Too late. Moonbi caught up to her.

Feigning a laugh, Namjoo twisted toward her. “Moonbi.” Add the fake smile.

Panting Namjoo knew what was going to come out of .

A favor.

“I need you do to me a favor.”

Trying not to clench her eyes from complaint, Namjoo lied, “I’m a little busy.” She included the notion of tapping her wrist. She wasn’t even wearing a watch.

“No, no! I promise this is good.” Moonbi hurried on. To add for comfort, she slid forward her purse, “You can have everything. The pay, all of it!”

Namjoo felt the handle of her tiny hot pink purse slide over her hand. “Really?” She was starting to lighten up. Money included and she was sold.

“Baby needs me right now, so I have to go.” Moonbi explained without taking a breather. Baby was not her baby. Baby was Jo Sungho, her boyfriend of three months.

“You know mom’s going to be pissed you’re bailing for a dude.”

Still panting, Moonbi thin as a pencil dismissed her. “Listen, he’s outside in the yellow Ferrari. Sleeping in the back, like a baby.” she rolled her eyes like the mention of it was ridiculous. Namjoo was urged to raise her brows. “Drank too much. Poor guy. He’s been coming here the past month. He looks stressed like hell.”

Namjoo yawned.

“Take good care of him, ok?” Moonbi began backtracking. Before ultimately exiting the scene, she said, “He’s loaded. Address and everything is in his navigation system.”

Namjoo whistled and held up a hand to wave. Once gone she impatiently ped Moonbi’s hot pink purse. Dismissing her makeup and junk she’d miraculously crammed inside, Namjoo pulled out what she was only looking for: a handsome wad of cash folded together. Kissing it before tucking it back inside she ran down the corridor.

Leaving behind the chaotic club, Namjoo stepped outside. Spotting several vehicles down her left the only yellow car.

“How ugly,” she murmured aloud.

Moon Club glowed in blue above her head as she stepped forward to complete Moonbi’s task. Surprisingly the car was unlocked. At the pull of the handle Namjoo slipped inside with ease. Amazing that no one had tried stealing the car unbeknownst of the sleeping passenger in the back.

“Wow.” She hooted running her hands along the steering wheel. She had never been inside one of these vehicles. Or anywhere near something so expensive.

Testing the sturdiness of the chair she thumped her back against it several times, creating incessant thuds, grinning excitedly. Taking her time, she skimmed her hands over the dashboard, the touch screen monitor, as if imprinting everything into her fingertips.

“You buffoon,” Namjoo stared into the rearview mirror eyeing the man cloaked in darkness in the backseat. So entirely knocked out with his head arched back. His face was unviewable, but besides that she cared more for the vehicle.

What a pathetic sight. Scrolling the windows down to help rid of the stench of liquor, Namjoo revved the engine. It roared deafeningly like thunder on a clear night sky. High on glee she haughtily hooted and did it one more time, listening to the car’s powerful engine. Rapidly punching the accelerator, she steered off into traffic, racing against the city’s glowing night lights.

Without a worry about waking the drunkard in the back, Namjoo waved her arm out the wide-open window, letting out loud whoops of joy, feeling the burst of wind flush against her face. The thrill of controlling something so pricey was exhilarating. This night was turning out better than expected. Maybe she was glad Moonbi had bailed on her job. Something like this only came once in a lifetime.

How the hell did that girl land this guy in the first place? It was beyond Namjoo.

Fifteen minutes down the road and Namjoo realized she’d forgotten to turn on the navigation system. Finally, the automated female voice came to life spitting directions Namjoo followed with ease.

The back roads became quieter and more isolated the further she drove. Blanketed by barren lands surrounded by thickets of woods in the mile distance, Namjoo wondered where exactly she was headed. Traffic ceased. The only items of the night that stayed with her were the road lamps, but even they glowed eerily now.

“Your destination is in a quarter mile.” The navigation system directed.

Well, at least it would be over soon. Almost an hour had passed already. Who the hell was this guy? Glancing into the rearview mirror Namjoo scowled. The trouble now would be how to get back to Moon Club after this joy ride. She better start thinking now or she’d never be able to get home.

Then straight ahead Namjoo saw. Iron gates. Great. Now how to get through them.

Pushing back on her speed as she approached, Namjoo leaned out the window searching for an intercom. A button below a screen. Namjoo pressed eagerly waiting for the black rectangle to come to life.

Nothing.

Hitting the button again she waited. Then faster and faster she punched the button. Still nothing.

Hissing irritated, Namjoo unbuckled her seatbelt. Groaning to the man in the back, “I’m about to just ditch you out here.”

Getting out of the car she stared up at the monstrous gates. The ends at the top were sharp as daggers. No way to climb up and unlock it from the other side.

“Hello!” She shouted into the intercom. Of course, no one heard her. They were dead asleep at one in the AM.

Huffing a sigh Namjoo stepped up to the gates. Grabbing a stake, she shook it angrily. It rattled, did a little squeak, and moved. Surprised, she dropped her hand. Jaw dropping, she stared at the iron gate. Cautiously moving forward to kick it and discovered to much of her shock, the iron freaking gate was unlocked all along.

Laughing baffled Namjoo put her hands on her hips. Now that that obstacle was solved, she returned to the car and drove forward. Releasing wow after wow as she idly drove down the long lane surrounded by nothing but evenly trimmed grass studded with wild bushes.

The house was humongous. That was if it could even be considered a house.

Namjoo only heard about the rich owning an empire of land, but not to this extent. This was beyond crazy. She could trek forever on this…what was it, front yard. It felt more like she was driving past farm land.

So busy eyeing the yard, Namjoo almost drove into the flight of stairs in front of her. Braking abruptly she jolted forward into the wheel, half listening to the man in the back grunt as he flailed and hit the passenger’s seat.

Setting the car into park, she hurried out of the car. Opening the rear door, she poked her head inside to check on the state of her passenger. He was half across the backseat, half bent head first on the floor.

“Sorry.” She apologized.

Namjoo attempted to pull him up. Realizing too late he was dead weight. She harrumphed, groaned, grunted, huffed, and heaved. Even skidded back on her heels as she pulled the ton bar bell up with difficulty.

She hated him already.

This was her entire year’s workout. No need to even stop by the gym. Not that she’d even stepped foot in one. It may have been in her lazy plans, but now she decided she needn’t go anymore.

“My back!” She complained pressing a hand against her lower back and leaned backward for a stretch.

Moonbi was going to have to owe her much more than this once she got back. She should leave this guy here. Afterall she’d made it to his house safely. Thumping her feet Namjoo debated. In the end her mother hadn’t raised her in the jungle. She’d have some humanity and get him inside and not leave him in the cold.

Scolding herself, she snatched Moonbi’s damn hot pink bag from the passenger seat. Once she dropped this drunkard off inside, she’d leave right away. That was the plan.

Now looking at the man again Namjoo couldn’t help but sigh again. Rich people always wasting away when people like her worked hard for their share every night. She kicked his car.

“And you should stop drinking.” She lectured hooking his arm around her shoulders and loudly grunted as she hauled him up to his feet. Whining aloud, “I hate myself. I hate myself. I hate myself.” as she stepped forward, one more, and one more step while the idiot weighed her down every second of the way. Namjoo bent lower, a bit lower, and more as he leaned into her unconsciously.

Namjoo stumbled up the stairs. Accidently hooking her foot against the last step, she tripped forward, slapping her hand against one of the double dome doors. She high pitched screeched as she doubled forward, slamming against the floor. To make it even worse, the drunk fell on her. Namjoo released a breathless oomph and laid there dazed.

For a much better minute she spent crawling out from under him with difficulty. Turning to sit on her she kicked out her foot wishing she could kick his face. If he knew what he was making her go through…

Loudly groaning, she got to her feet and shook her head feeling her hair fly around. Now that it came to this, she no longer had to try and carry him. Smugly smirking, she grabbed his hands pulling his arms toward her and started dragging him across the floor. Though he was still a thousand pound heavy, this was so much easier.

Scoping the first room she passed Namjoo veered into it. There were several leather couches scattered throughout the room. A long rectangular table in the center and behind all the furniture an island bordering the front of a kitchen perhaps.

Dropping the man with a heave, Namjoo threw her head back. Finally, the rough journey was over.

“W…wa…water…water…” the drunkard flipped onto his back. Sleepily smacking his lips, he rubbed a hand against his chest. “Water…”

“Me?” Namjoo pressed a hand to her chest. “You want me to get you water now?”

She held up her fist irritated.

Moving his head side to side he continued mumbling desperately, “Water. Water.”

“You owe me fifty,” she shook her head and pointed a finger at him, “two hundred for this.”

“Water.” He went on.

Snickering, Namjoo stepped into the bordering room. Eyeing the island with admiration. There was a stovetop burner and a deep sink at the end. A neat appliance she’d wish to have in her dream home.

Walking to the silver double door fridge whistling impressed, Namjoo pulled it open. First peering at the condiments, the food, the meat, and vegetables all stored in an organized manner. There was so much space for everything that would never fit in her small fridge at home. She was so jealous and full of envy.

Spotting a cold pitcher of water, Namjoo lugged it out. Forget the glass. She didn’t want to stay around and dig through the hundred cabinets for a cup. To make matters easy, she could just pour water into his mouth. It wouldn’t matter. This was his house.

Clicking her tongue, Namjoo wheeled around to the drunk still on the floor. Crouching down by him she tapped his shoulder. “Hey buddy. Open up.” When he didn’t wake she tapped his shoulder again. “You’re thirsty, aren’t you?”

No reply.

Hissing annoyed, Namjoo put a thumb against his chin and pried his lower lip down to open his mouth. Tilting the pitcher, she poured water into his mouth. In an instant he started coughing. Flinging an arm out he hit the pitcher out of her hand, sending it flying across the room and caused her to fall back on her .

Wildly choking, he sat up eyes wide. Immediately he turned to stare at her. He was soaked chin down. The water had also drenched a part of his expensive button-up.

Namjoo flinched when the lights brightly. Footsteps clambered down the hall from somewhere.

“Why, what is going on?!” An elder woman in a silk nightrobe commanded.

A doppelganger of the drunkard appeared behind her except older. He, too, was in nightwear.

Shooting to his feet, the brazen eyed man suddenly calmed like a rowdy dog whimpering when scolded by its owner.

“Mom. Dad.”

“You were out again?” the woman asked more out of concern.

Contrary to her motherly love, the father looked sterner. Noticing his eyes wavering her way, Namjoo awkwardly got to her feet. This was not how she planned to end things here.

“Uh…” she nervously laughed, “hello.”

“Oh Sehun!” The man raised his voice. Namjoo jerked and felt her back grow straight. “What is the meaning of this?!”

“It’s not what you’re thinking.” Sehun excused.

His father’s eyes widened, but he wasn’t looking at either of them. And then his mother gasped. Confused, Namjoo followed their gaze to the damn hot pink purse on the floor, its contents spilled out. A compact mirror, hair tie, a broken beaded bracelet, and lip gloss.

Along them, a white stick.

Upon closer observation: a pregnancy test.

Belatedly Namjoo throatily gasped.

Swiftly turning to his parents, the man called Sehun declared, “It’s mine.”

Eyes widening, Namjoo swerved toward the elders shaking her head hurriedly. “No, I’m not pregnant. I don’t even know him!”

Slipping his arm around her shoulders, he covered . “She’s a little upset after the long drive. Excuse us.”

Forcing her to leave with him, Namjoo turned around shaking her head, waving her hands in denial. “I don’t know him! I don’t even know him!” but came out as akfhfjlajaja!