Where it Started

Ace of Hearts

In the dark parking lot of the hospital Sehun spritzed her with his cologne. She winced and complained. “Enough! It smells!” she waved the floating fragrant particles away from her face.

“It’s supposed to smell.” Sehun remarked the obvious. “You smell like liquor, do you know?”

“Oh, amazing you withstood it this long.” Namjoo retaliated when he stuffed his bottle back into the drawer.

A brow dug deep over his eye vexed when he shoved his door open. If she was annoying him she was feeling superior about it. He was such a pain in the arse.

Finally opening the door for her, Namjoo stepped out high and mighty with her chin pointed up. She was going to show him how great she was now that they were going to see his dear parents.

“Your goal is to pacify him.” Sehun explained on the way to the glowing doors.

“And you couldn’t have done it?” she ridiculed. “What an awful son.”

“I’ll let you off just this once.” He warned holding himself back from bickering with her.

Firmly pressing her lips together victorious, Namjoo followed him down the hall. Sehun’s father was in the private sector. As expected, their money was being well spent. Contrary to the rest of the hospital wing abuzz with activity it was deathly quiet here.

Arriving at their destination Sehun knocked on the door. From the other side Namjoo could hear the television. As the door opened Namjoo could hear a faded voice become clearer, the television volume louder.

Perturbed and upset by the visit, Sehun’s dad screamed blasphemy, “Tell him to go away!”

Namjoo hesitated unsure. Never hearing Sehun’s father raise his voice before. In front of her Sehun’s mother’s eyes enlarged. The corner of her lips rose at once in a way that frightened Namjoo.

The woman was too happy. Once more the expectations she would have to exceed propelled through her head like a landslide. Namjoo could feel her spirit billowing away.

“Honey, look who’s here,” she turned around to call out to her old man.

“I said I don’t want to see him!” Sehun’s haughty father repeated with menace. He was sitting on the hospital bed, legs sprawled out lazily, the blanket shoved to his socked feet in a ruffled mess. The irritation in his eyes softened when they landed on her. Almost like a tearful child who stopped crying at the sight of a lollipop. The ice in his expression melted.

The attention was so surreal Namjoo hovered at the doorway unmoving. Everything horrid pouring through her like acid again. Just a while ago she had left their household intending to never return. Parents like her own believing in lies meant to be deflated later.

Namjoo would not wish the same on her mother. To be played like that.

No one’s parents did.

Palming her back Sehun pushed her into the room. Feigning a small laugh, Namjoo raised her hand to wave. “I’m back.”

“Come here. Come here.” Sehun’s father beckoned for her with his hand.

Biting her lower lip Namjoo obediently stepped closer to the bed. Touching her arm, he guided her to the empty spot beside him. Namjoo sat albeit stiffly.

“I’m so happy you’re here.” He patted her hand affectionately.

“You left so suddenly; we were all so surprised.” Sehun’s mother joined them. Standing nearby as if to prevent Namjoo from fleeing, she preened, “I’m so glad you’ve come back. Please never leave like that again. You gave your father such a fright.”

“Don’t worry, it won’t happen again.” Sehun cut in.

Her brows sternly twined together. Say what? Namjoo turned to look at him. The onset of a fire alit in her eyes.

“Yes, let’s make sure it won’t.” His father agreed aiming a hint of resentment at his son. Patting her hand, demeanor completely changing, he asked with utmost care, “Have you eaten? If not, why not grab a bite here and keep this old man company?”

And stay in the hospital? Namjoo would pass on that. Wearing a smile, she assured, “Don’t worry about me, father. Get better first so you can go home.”

The old man chuckled cheered up. “Yes, you’re right about that. I shouldn’t stay here too long.”

“It’s getting late. Sehun, you should take her home first.” His mother interrupted. “Visitor hours will be over soon.”

“Yes.” He dutifully replied.

“Take care, father. I’ll see you soon.” Namjoo gave his hand a light squeeze.

“You probably want to rest now. Go on.” Sehun’s father bid her farewell.

Namjoo dragged her feet as she backed toward the door half desiring to leave and half desiring to stay because she didn’t want to go with Sehun. In the end, the door closed and she was cut off from his parents.

“Come on.” He called already taking a stride down the hall.

“I’ll call a cab.” Crossing her arms Namjoo stubbornly looked in the opposite direction. No longer would she yield to him.

She yelped when Sehun grabbed her hand pulling her down the hall. Literally leaping forward in case her arm popped out of its socket. “Let go! You don’t have to pull me like an animal.”

Releasing her he said, “I’ll give you a ride. Why wait outside for half an hour waiting for a cab?”

“It won’t take half an hour,” Namjoo snarled. “The city is big. There are plenty of cabs.”

“Says you.” He huffed walking ahead.

Namjoo made a face at his back yet sauntered after him and got back into his car refusing to say more as they drove onto the dark road. Namjoo seriously expected to be dropped off at Moon Club. Against all odds, Sehun veered away from the innermost city roads.

“Where are we going?” She asked heart picking up. Sitting straighter, Namjoo peered out the window as the city lights flashed goodbye.

“Didn’t you hear?” Sehun asked. “Mom said to take you home.”

Her heart lurched. “I didn’t say I will! Let me out!”

She yanked repeatedly on the knob. The door was still on child lock. Dammit!

“Two-hundred-thousand.” Sehun bargained.

“I don’t want your money!” Namjoo grumbled through gritted teeth. She was about to be pissed.

“Daily.” Sehun finished. Her hand loosened on the knob. Whipping around to stare at him needing to verify his promise. “Give me your bank account number. I’ll drop the fee into your bank tomorrow if you don’t trust me.”

Her gaze pinched back full of distrust. “You’re not lying?”

“Unless you give me a fake account.”

Letting go of the knob, Namjoo crossed her arms again. “You’re for real?”

“Did I say I’m not?” Sehun repeated. “But there will be new terms.”

“You bet there will!” Namjoo raised her voice.

“We’ll talk about them tomorrow.” Sehun explained as he pulled into the familiar lot of his home.

“Sure.” Namjoo breathed.

a breath, she followed him to the place she’d called home for a short period of time. Now, home again. Then they went down the hall, through a maze of corridors, and out into the yard toward his stucco home where she’d resided for a couple of weeks. The closer she got the slower her pace until she was merely shuffling her feet.

And then she was back where she started. Building up a lie with Sehun.

Great.

“I want to shower first.” Namjoo shoved past him and headed up the stairs to the familiarity of the bathroom that had been hers. She shut the door loudly and heaved a soul deep sigh.

Dang it!

She was here again.

Before she might pull her hair, she slipped out of her clothes and into the shower. Freshening up did the magic trick. Namjoo felt nearly 75% better including a clearer head by the time she stepped out. Tonight, as she lay in bed she would think about this deal in closer detail. She needed to anticipate Sehun’s next movements in order not to be tricked by his devious nature.

Wrapping a towel around herself and another one around her wet hair, Namjoo grabbed her clothes hugging them tight. Sehun should have already turned in, so she had the entire corridor to her self. Her clothes would still be in the room waiting for her.

Double checking that the hall was empty Namjoo dashed forward. Grabbing the knob, she gave it one good twist. The door didn’t budge. Her mind blanked. Namjoo tried harder confused.

“It’s locked.” The voice made her whirl to her left. Sehun was leaning against the threshold of his bedroom, arms crossed, a leg angled. “You won’t be able to get in.”

Ignoring him Namjoo tried harder. Literally jiggling and pulling on the knob now.

“Give it up. Your room’s over here now.” Sehun gestured his head to his room.

Determined, Namjoo shook the door listening to the whole foundation shake and rattle, but refused to give. She shouted out of frustration, “Oh Sehun!”

He said nothing. Just waited for her to forfeit.

“I’m not sleeping with you!” Namjoo bellowed.

“We’ll be getting married soon. In this day and age, it’s not believable for a couple to sleep separately,” Sehun explainedd. “Unless you want Miss Jin to gossip to my parents and give my father another heart attack.”

“What?!” She literally screeched. Her insides were quaking. “Married?!” Forgetting that she was half she stomped up to him demanding, “What are you talking about?”

“Didn’t I tell you there will be new terms?” Sehun reminded peering down at her through cool glazed eyes.

“That’s nonsense!” Namjoo continued to scream.

“Quiet, unless you want to wake everyone.” Sehun warned. “Your clothes are in the closet. You can change while I take a shower.”

Ending it at that he left her at the foot of his room to soak in reality. Completely astounded, Namjoo stared at the ground aloof.

This was a nightmare!

Lifting her head to stare at the closed bathroom door she raised her fist. Sehun had seriously caught her off guard this time. What the hell was he planning next?

Grumbling under her breath Namjoo stomped toward his walk-in-closet flinging open the door with more force than necessary. Her jaw touched the floor. The space was humongous! The entire half of the nightclub could fit in here!

Sehun was such a spoiled jerk!

Namjoo spun around on a foot as she went inside. Curiously running her fingers over the tops, carefully arranged pants, the tiny shelves, and the centerpiece drawer. Sehun hadn’t lied. He’d mixed her clothes with his. She had a special spot designated for her things. Surprisingly she discovered new outfits and pajamas she never had previously.

ert she thought. He’d actually gone to this much preparation for a needless ploy against his parents. She just couldn’t believe him.

“Awful son,” she clicked her tongue.

Snagging a t-shirt and lounge sweats Namjoo changed, tossed her clothes into the hamper, and stopped at the foot of the closet. Gaping at the four-poster bed. Her stomach turned queasy at the thought of sharing something Sehun had always slept in alone. Even her veins tingled and twisted just thinking about it.

God, she hated this!

Upon hearing the click of the bathroom door Namjoo jumped and raced toward the bed. Hurriedly climbing under the blanket to feign sleep, because she couldn’t stand the sight of him coming for the bed. Landing on her side Namjoo immediately curled up and shut her eyes. She could hear him shuffling around and was urged to see what he was up to since he was taking so long. Then the lights went out and her eyes popped open, realizing she had been holding her breath the entire time.

Namjoo fought not to wriggle further toward the edge of the bed when she felt his weight on the other side. This was so weird. She just couldn’t get used to this. No matter how long she lay there listening to the silence buzz Namjoo couldn’t sleep. Not like this.

She waited it out for who knows how long, but when she was certain Sehun was asleep she cautiously pushed aside the blanket, stretched a leg over the edge of the bed, foot searching for a landing. Carefully climbing out of bed without jarring him awake, she tiptoed out of the room.

Opening the door, she poked her head out into the dark hall. Could remember the layout of the second floor now. Bathroom would be on her left. Who cares? She’d sleep in the tub tonight just so the housecleaner wouldn’t find her sleeping on the couch and questioning her tomorrow. Doing this was saving her own hide. She also did not want to be the cause of Sehun’s father’s health problems.

Flipping the lights on Namjoo swiftly shut the door and leaned against it. She’d made it. Heaving a breath of relief, she put a hand to her . Now that that was over, to sleep.

A minute later and Namjoo found out the tub was a really bad place to sleep. The surface was too hard. She was cramped. The space was limited. Without any kind of cushioning it was like sleeping inside a shelf.

Grunting from frustration she climbed out of the tub massaging her aching limbs. Forget it! She’d sleep on the couch tonight. She didn’t care what anyone had to say; if any of the house people questioned her relationship status with Sehun. They could assume she was having problems with him and she could care less about his reputation.

Namjoo halted immediately after pulling the door open. The lights in the hall were on. She blinked shocked and turned to find Sehun standing on her left, arms crossed, a finger tapping his bicep.

Laughing nervously, Namjoo lied, “You woke up? I had to use the bathroom.”

He gave no reaction.

Damn him for being so uptight about keeping her here.

Lightening up the mood, Namjoo cheerily held up a hand as she passed, “Then, goodnight.” Quickly shuffling past Namjoo darted back to his bed and under the blanket.

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

Namjoo’s eyebags were knee deep the following morning. Though he had slept fitfully compared to her he looked better. Across from him at the breakfast table she continuously rubbed her eyes tiredly.

“Would you stop that?” Sehun asked.

“What’s your problem?” Namjoo yawned for the nth time. “Don’t tell me you were guarding me the entire night. So afraid that I might sneak out.”

Sehun flatly stared at her not amused. “Mom and dad will be returning later.”

“Oh,” she breathed, “great.” On second thought, she asked anyway, “Then, I can go?”

“Mom will be starting wedding preparations right away.”

At this, Namjoo tossed her entire body back, throwing her arms out to the side limply and groaning. “Why?!”

“Don’t be a kid. Sit up.” Sehun berated.

Straightening, Namjoo rebuked, “Who’s the kid here? The one coming up with lie after lie?”

“Have you checked your account?”

Pouting, Namjoo snatched her phone off the table. There was a notification from her bank about a large deposit.

“I’m keeping my end of the deal, you should, too.” Sehun reproached.

Angling her head, Namjoo muttered, “Fine.”

He sighed. “Look, I didn’t expect this to cause as much trouble as it already is. Sure, I get that you probably weren’t happy the time you were here, and I’m sorry about that, but my parents like you a lot. All they did after you left was talk about you. There wasn’t anything I could do to reconcile them.”

Namjoo made a show of looking at her phone again. Pressing on something she showed him the screen. It was a calendar.

“Per my math, your girlfriend should be returning this week.” Tapping the screen, “And what about her? Mommy and daddy should be overjoyed there’s a real one. Have you told them about her?”

When he offered nothing, she put the phone down, leaned back, and crossed her arms like she was demeaning him. Namjoo lectured as if he had misbehaved, “So, you did nothing during the time I was gone? You had nearly an entire week to come clean. How old are you again?”

Sehun could feel his patience snapping. Treating him as if he didn’t know right from wrong. That this entire charade had backfired and he was at square one again trying to mend a torn quilt.

She was right. Lying was stupid. He was the idiot. What was he doing bringing her back here to create more problems? His mom and dad had fallen for her and he didn’t have the guts to pull their heads out of the pool to correct them.

Namjoo was right. He didn’t have the courage to outright tell his mother to hell with Hyena. Her best friend’s daughter was a clingy child with a rock for a brain. And the girlfriend he had wasted two years dearly waiting for had cheated on him, so here he was scrambling to sew random pieces into the quilt to make it whole.

Sehun was beginning to question himself again. If Namjoo had the ability to annoy him to an extent, why was she at his breakfast table again?

The answer superbly itched at his innards.

“She broke up with me.” Sehun shot.

Namjoo burst out a half scoff half laugh that rolled out of her in waves. Quieting when she saw him merely staring.

Gulping as she calmed, she said, “Oh…you mean it.”

“Would I joke about something like that?”

Her gaze danced away embarrassed, guilty.

“Forget it.” He waved her off. “For now, we’ll just do what mom wants.”

“Then,” Namjoo asked, “I’m just your rebound?”