The Bigger Act

Ace of Hearts

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

Impulse was all it came down to.

The moment he saw the pregnancy stick and it washed away all the worries he’d been pouring over that evening.

Similar to impulse buying on an anger spree.

It clicked in his head like a bulb flashing on over his head.

That was it.

What would solve all his dire problems.

And Sehun was even more keen, even more desperate to keep Namjoo around to ward off clingy Hyena who had stuck like glue on the first date. Quick to include the topic of marriage and children by the third date.

It was a nightmare.

So far, he and Namjoo had only set several conditions. At the rate his mother was moving, eager to prepare for this nonexistent child Sehun figured Namjoo deserved to know why he was doing this. When she started taking him more seriously, she would stop goofing around, trying to heads with him at every corner.

When Jin returned in a couple months they could say goodbye to each other forever. He just had to hang in there.

Sehun could do this.

But he’d heard Namjoo giggling loudly from her room. If the girl understood how noisy she could be she might learn to tone it down a several thousand notches.

Sehun had opened the door, discovered her dancing around holding a dress to her body like she was a doll in a musical box traipsing around to music.

And now there was Hyena at the table across from Namjoo who’d idiotically invited her inside. She didn’t understand Hyena was determined to stay until sundown, so as the housekeeper brewed tea Sehun razed his brain for a way to boot her out.

“It is so nice to meet you, Namjoo.” Hyena said starting off in her nice outdoorsy high-pitched tone.

“I’ll say the same,” Namjoo returned the greeting. She side eyed him amused, “So, how long have you known Sehun?”

Shyly smiling, “Several weeks. We’ve been on quite a few dates.”

“Ooooh?” Namjoo arched a brow peeking at him.

Sehun rolled his eyes to the side. The housekeeper quietly put down three steaming mugs of tea in front of them and took her exit.

“And you?” Hyena questioned. Leaning back in her chair, “I’ve never heard Sehun mention you. Neither has auntie.”

“Oh…uh…” her eyes flickered toward him. They’d not discussed that subject.

“A month ago, when I went to conduct business up northeast.” Sehun lied cutting in.

“I don’t remember.” Namjoo simultaneously answered.

Pausing they glanced at each other.

Discreetly grinning, Hyena traced a finger over the rim of her cup, aware she’d caught them off guard. “Then where is Namjoo from?”

“Daegu.”

“Taean.” He said.

His lower lip tensed as he and Namjoo turned to each other.

Bursting with a too fake laugh, Namjoo said lightly smacking her head for show, “Silly me. This pregnancy has shrunk my brain. I forgot where my hometown is.”

She continued the fake laugh which continued to worsen the atmosphere. If she could quit being so dense Sehun could try fixing this so Hyena would stop digging.

The corner of Miss Pretty’s lips sharply curled. Lifting her mug, she blew at the steam and carefully took a dainty sip that couldn’t be considered a sip in Sehun’s dictionary. Beneath the table he kicked Namjoo’s leg. She fought back and frowned at him.

“But,” Hyena’s voice instantly surprised them and they stared at her, “how far along are you?”

“Huh?” Namjoo stupidly leaned forward lost.

“I’m talking about your pregnancy, silly.” Hyena said, her expression faintly sly.

Throwing out a loud ha! Namjoo replied confidently, “A couple months along.”

Sehun added a smile as if to certify the truth whilst thinking she finally got something right!

“Well, that doesn’t make sense.” Cocking her head a teeny bit she looked at Sehun as if telling him she knew what was up, “You just said you met a month ago, but Namjoo is two months along.” Deviously gasping, Hyena turned to Namjoo, “Are you having someone else’s child?!”

Damn!

His turn to anxiously laugh. “Oh boy, my brain’s gotten fuzzy since the news of the baby.”

Wrapping his arm around Namjoo’s shoulder, he firmly dug his fingers into her arm signaling her to let him do the chatting now. Or else they were going to end up burning in hell.

“I suppose that’s what happen when we’re experiencing pregnancy together.” Leaning forward he peeked into Namjoo’s face. So that his expression was out of Hyena’s view, his eyes hardened. “Right, darling?”

Sharing the stare her brow twitched. Sitting back, he moved his hand up to her cheek, burying the tips of his fingers into her hairline displaying an act of affection. Just so Hyena would see his heart lay elsewhere.

“We’ve had a long day, so Namjoo and I would like to rest now. As you can see, her brain’s being a little funny.” Sehun coolly told. “I’ll thank mom later for the tonic.”

Hyena firmly pressed her lips together. Pouting kind of. She wasn’t going to surrender yet.

“Then, I should go.” Shoving her chair back she stood, took a step away then twisted back toward them, “Let’s have dinner next time. All three of us.”

Sehun peered up at her unable to decide what she was up to. He ended their farewell at, “Get home safely.”

He waited until the front door closed, but it was Namjoo who jumped up from her seat, swiped at her face, and made noises like something dirty had touched her.

“You…really…” she grumbled.

“Need I remind you to just sit there and let me do the talking.” Sehun gruffly reminded.

Glaring at him, “The indecency of your hands to keep touching me.”

“You had to invite her in and dig your own grave.” He scolded.

“Oh really?” Namjoo raised her brows. “Was I the one who messed up with the timeline of a fake baby?”

“Your answers were all off point!” he argued.

Namjoo clenched her hands into fists frustrated. Crossing her arms stubbornly, she stared into space consoling high and mighty as if that would solve their warring, “I was helping you score a girl. God knows, you probably can’t get a girlfriend that’s why you’re all touchy feely with me.”

Sehun’s face constricted. The nerve of her! “I have a girlfriend!”

Namjoo’s head moved, paused, hesitated, and then hurriedly snapped his direction. She observed him like she hadn’t heard correctly. “What?”

Heaving a heavy sigh, he instructed, “Sit down.”

She moved toward her previous seat then thought better of it and rounded the table to take Hyena’s chair. Linking both arms and legs like he was the one being told off, she ordered, “Explain.”

Exhaling patience, he said, “Her name is Sun Jin. She’s studying economics in London right now, but she’ll be back in two months. That’s when she graduates, so you only need to stay and pretend you’re pregnant until she returns.”

“Then what’s with that girl?”

“Ever since Jin’s been away, mom keeps pushing me to break up and settle down. Everyone’s having a baby, so she feels the pressure to catch up. She thinks her best friend’s daughter is the perfect match.”

“Why would your mother do that? Unless your girlfriend’s been gone…”

“It’s just been two years.”

“Since she’s been gone?!” Namjoo’s voice went up. She made a noise and flopped back into her chair. “In those two years I would have gotten myself a boyfriend.” Shaking her head at him, “You don’t stand a chance against handsome Englishmen.”

“You!” he about cursed. “Forget it. How old are you?”

“You first.”

Sehun studied her in case she didn’t keep her word. “Twenty-nine.”

“Twenty-two.”

He gasped. Sitting forward he scorned, “You need to treat me with more respect.”

“You’re old.” She blatantly stated like it was the biggest turnoff. “No wonder you’re so dull, outdated, and grumpy all the time.”

“Why you little – ”

“We’re done here, right?” Getting up she grabbed Hyena’s mug and skipped off. Three seconds later she hurried back. “That’s not mine.” Setting it down she reached for her mug and grinned at him chirping, “Toodles, Mr. Sehun.”

Doing a little dancey wave with her hands she cheerily skipped off.

Good riddance. Now it that was finally quiet he resorted to his room, turned his laptop on, and checked on stocks and cleaned out his outgoing email. A glance at the time and it was a little past noon. Time for lunch.

Setting his laptop aside he went down the hall and knocked on Namjoo’s door. There was no answer, so he opened the door peeking inside. Namjoo was knocked out. The mug from earlier sitting nearby her flung out hand. Who slept on the bed with a cup?

Sighing he walked in hoping she hadn’t spilled anything on the bed. It would only cause more work for the house cleaner. Upon approaching he saw the tea was drained. Seemed just like her to devour anything she got her hands on.

She even slept sloppy. Clucking his tongue, he left the room and went downstairs to store the mug in the sink. Next to it team floated from countless pots and pans on the glass stovetop. The kitchen lady was almost completed with their lunch. On the menu: braised pork ribs, pan fried glass noodles, Mongolian beef stir fry, and various side dishes.

Making himself comfortable at the table he restlessly tapped his fingers on the tabletop. A dish and two more started appearing on the table after several minutes. The cook having gone the extra mile to cook more because there was one more stomach to feed.

“Is that all?” he asked.

“Yes, sir.”

“Go wake the mistress up.”

Nodding she shuffled out of the room. Left to wait Sehun focused on rearranging the dishes. Seeing how Namjoo had almost eaten the entire table at breakfast, he estimated she would eat anything. It would no less matter what kind of entrée she had in front of her.

Yawning, Namjoo walked in rubbing her eyes. It was just her careless nature not to mind how she appeared and where she did. Her expression brightened at the sight of the food and hopped over eagerly.

“How delicious!” she exclaimed sitting down, clasping her hands together like a fly rubbing its thin black legs together. A glance at him and she waved her hand for him to start eating first.

“What?” he asked.

“The elder first.” Namjoo invited.

His nerve twitched. Picking up his fork he stabbed the roasted rib sitting on the dish in front of her, his eyes fiery. Unnoticing Namjoo excitedly dug right into the food. Greedily scooping huge amounts of everything as if he might fight her for it.

“I was thinking,” Namjoo said as she started chowing down, “isn’t this kind of cowardly?” Cheeks full, she continued, “I mean, can’t you just tell your mother to step down and let you decide your life?”

“I think you’ve been too carefree,” Sehun uttered. “Between you and me, perhaps you can run around where you want, but I have responsibilities on my back.”

“Hey, I have responsibilities too.” Namjoo weighed. “Do you think I do nothing all day? Well technically, I do sleep during the day, but that’s because I work really hard at night. I take care of people,” her eyeballs slid around uncertainly then landed on him, “like you.”

Biting down on his lower lip, Sehun reiterated, “I’m not like you. For instance, I live here and you,” he pointed a finger toward the kitchen entrance where on the other side was the front door, “out there.”

Namjoo’s attention stilled.

“My parents are reputable people and it’s my duty to keep our name standing. Everyone affiliated with my family has a name in the market. If my mother decides Hyena is the perfect wife material, I can’t just turn her down without legit reason because her mother has power in the global outlet that shares relations with my family. She’s not someone easy to defeat or disappoint. In the end, it all comes down to who has the most money and influence, and how my family will benefit.”

“Then marrying Hyena will help your family. Easy.” Namjoo shrugged.

“You don’t get it.” Sehun shot. “Can’t you see I don’t like her?”

“But she’s pretty?” Namjoo half frowned confused. “You don’t like that?”

“Looks aren’t everything.” He pinpointed.

“Then, what are you looking for?”

“I’m waiting for my girlfriend.” Sehun deepened his tone as if they hadn’t already gone over this. “You are my alternative to throwing off an impending marriage.”

Namjoo remained silent then went, “Oh.” like she finally got it. “So me being pregnant is the legit reason. Gotcha.”

He wanted to slam his head into a pillar.

“You are so conniving.” Namjoo shook her head as she continued to stuff herself.

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

Sehun was gone by the time she woke up the following day. Said nothing. Not even a farewell, have a good day, or bothered to explain where he’d gone. Work? To do something else? Namjoo could only guess.

She found the same kitchen lady she’d seen yesterday busy at the stove. Moving from the sink to the stove to the fridge to the cabinets with ease like she had five arms. Seating herself at the table Namjoo watched her work. Thinking when she was a whiny toddler her mother, with eyebags knee deep, used to scrounge around the kitchen, slapping two pieces of peanut butter and jelly bread together and here you go, breakfast; now off you go to school, scram.

Definitely she felt like a princess here. Per Sehun’s words they weren’t the same. The two of them born in different worlds. He raised left of the spectrum and she on the right. Never coming together to meet in the middle.

The lady brought over steaming dishes and arranged everything for her. Namjoo didn’t have to lift a hand at all or ask for a glass of water.

“Have a nice meal, mistress.” She was told then was left alone.

Breakfast was eloquent. Namjoo ate everything down to the very last piece. Now that she was done, she didn’t know what to do. Clear the dishes? Wash them by herself?

Namjoo looked around clueless. The kitchen lady had disappeared. Guess she was on her own. Getting up Namjoo started stacking the plates and bowls deciding she’d figure out where to put everything later.

Imminent footsteps raced into the kitchen and someone scolded, “No mistress, that’s my job!”

In the blink of an eye the stack was stolen from her. Namjoo blinked taken aback.

“Next time just leave the dishes.” The kitchen lady told.

“Oh…” Namjoo nodded her head feeling like she’d just been slapped at the back of the head for being naughty.

Stalking out of the kitchen Namjoo slumped onto a couch. She spent a good hour messing around with Sehun’s tv. Raising and lowering the volume, flipping the international channels awed and being confused when she landed on foreign shows, unable to understand the language. Namjoo ended up resorting back to local channels.

She was bored out of her mind! Flopping down onto her back she loudly groaned. Only if she had a phone and could surf the internet where she lived most of the time on social media. She wanted to see what her friends were up to. What people were posting about Moon Club. She was always interested in reading comments others left on posts about outdoors events. Even coming across incessantly annoying ads sounded fun right now.

What she would do to step outside, but she had no car and thinking about the barren land she’d driven past on the way here was a just a big no.

Abruptly sitting up she thought about the wad of cash in Moonbi’s hot pink purse. She did have money! And there was a phone in the house! If she called for a cab, she could go anywhere she wanted and come home before Sehun returned from wherever it was he’d gone. Plus, she could just kick the gate open again.

Brilliant!

Namjoo about shot up from where she was, the tv still blaring, when Miss Jin the housekeeper came down the hall.

“The senior has called for you.”