Love A Little

Ace of Hearts

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

Retreating to the lounge Namjoo settled on the couch but not to watch television, flip through the channels pointlessly, bored out of her mind. Folding her arms atop the back of the furniture she stared out the window where morning sunshine brightly lit the world in color. Blades of grass seemed to dance in the breeze. Every leaf stem trembling in tune with earth’s elements like the corner of her heart.

Sehun’s lips still felt warm against her temple. The unprecedented move shattered every one of her hard walls.

The act gentle, affectionate, soft.

So the guilt rode Namjoo a little harder. For trying to be mean all the time when Sehun just wanted to treat her kindly, express through actions and words how much he cared.

He wanted to shower her with love.

Namjoo had no idea how to react anymore.

One harsh word and she kind of wished it’d never come out of whenever she witnessed his expression change. How many more acts could she attempt to dispel his feelings for her? If it was even possible.

The diamond on her wedding ring twinkled as if the sun had touched it. After all this time she hadn’t taken it off. Recalling the first time she did Sehun nearly went berserk on her.

Let’s stop pretending.

The weight of his words were heavy.

What was she going to do about him?

Namjoo was not prepared when Sehun came home for dinner. How to face him. What kinds of things to say knowing this man yearned to spend his oncoming days with her?

That whatever she tried had no affect on him. Foolishly dressing down. Putting up arms against him.

Yet he’d kissed her that morning resiliently sending her a message that required no words.

The struggle to lay out an answer pained her. Yes or no warred within her. Naivety was only reserved for the innocent. Within this place Namjoo was only a liar.

Always a liar.

Forever a liar.

Sehun’s place of standing would eternally be his of his right. But for Namjoo ahead lay hedges and spiked fences. Taking Sehun’s hand meant more difficult challenges than she might be able to handle.

Could she leap that far? Sling the burdens over her shoulders like a backpack and run?

Silence permeated the atmosphere. The warmth of a freshly cooked meal flowed between them. Spoons and forks clicked against plates. Fragility quivered above them like thin ice. Troubled by her own overflowing thoughts Namjoo neither bothered to look at Sehun nor try talking. One glance and she most likely might say something in spite just to anger him. Do it without meaning to. Afterwards she’d drown in guilt when he walked off.

Tugging and pulling at his emotions only hurt them both. It was a tiring game.

“There’s a class reunion this weekend,” Sehun cut the quiet. “I wanted to take you out this weekend, but it looks like we should go.”

“Your class reunion is irrelevant to me.” Namjoo murmured.

“I heard you already knew.” Sehun’s tone was a tad accusing.

Her gaze slid upwards, but she didn’t lift her head enough to see him. It was Hwayi again.

“How close are you to him?” Sehun pressed. More desperately, “Can you at least tell me?”

Hwayi. Damn that guy.

“We’re not even friends.” She finally told annoyed. “Happy?”

She frowned irritated. Sehun blinked taken aback. In a millisecond a gigantic smile lit up his face, pleased. He appeared so genuinely happy Namjoo dipped her gaze lower.

“Yea, I’m happy.” He said.

That night when they got in bed Namjoo slightly turned away from him. Tucking the blanket up to her chin she lay quietly. Half of her expecting Sehun to slide close like the previous nights. Except no arm wound around her. Sehun stayed on his side.

For a long while she remained awake battling her thoughts.

That weekend she combed through the closet seeking something appropriate to wear. Sehun assured her not to dress up for the occasion. A semi-formal outfit would do. Something casual was ok, too. They weren’t even staying the entire evening.

Scanning the variety Namjoo traced a finger along each material, every blouse to the skirts, and neatly folded and hanging pants. Fashionable, expensive, beautiful pieces. Created to allow a woman to feel her best, look the prettiest, add a boost to her confidence. Given to her free of charge. This was Sehun and his family caring for her, giving her everything possible.

This was equivalent to the love they possessed for her.

How she dressed today was a reflection on how well-off Sehun had become. Factors like this she had to carefully consider as role of his wife. Even if this class reunion had nothing to do with her, today had everything to do with Sehun.

Though small and meaningless Namjoo could do that much for him. Boast about his successful career, his life.

Choosing a dress Namjoo changed and stepped out. Sehun stood from where he’d been sitting at the foot of the bed. Chillingly handsome in a classic suit. He was ever the lavish man without a tiny hint of effort.

Knowing she shouldn’t, but her heart drove a little faster when he came to her reaching for the heels in her hands. She caught a fast whiff of his cologne as he got close, leaned in; doing it all so purposely. And a big part of her stirred.

“I’ll help you put them on.” He offered. Touching her hand, he led her to sit on the bed and crouched down to help strap on the heels.

Her heart quivered at the gentle of his hands, the warmth of his actions. He, who wanted to be her real husband now.

“You don’t have to wear the shoes if they’re going to hurt you,” Sehun assured. “I’d rather you be comfortable.”

“You said we won’t be long.” She reminded blinking away when he lifted his head smiling at her.

“We won’t.”

The class reunion was at some hotel plaza. Evening sun had not yet set. Glowing tremendously brightly over the backdrop of high trees that shielded the hotel’s reservoir. The parking lot was exuberantly occupied tonight with visitors from across towns and tourists alike. It was the first-floor lobby reserved for the class of bustling adults, everyone from all classes of society.

Blue collars, office workers, higher ups, business management, engineers, jockeys now popular in the sports field. There was a guffaw when they walked in. Namjoo heard giggling and female chatter in the background as a man elbowed Sehun.

Energetically whooping happily, he greeted, “Hey, man! Long time no see! Who’s this beautiful woman?”

Namjoo instinctually felt small when eyes peeked at her from overhearing the conversation. Proudly removing his hand from hers Sehun wrapped an arm around her waist.

He introduced, “My wife. Namjoo this is Yoonwoo. He was the president of the photography club.”

Stopping a passing waiter, Yoonwoo asked, “Does the beautiful lady want a drink?”

Sehun pushed his arm back. “No drinks for her.”

The huge playful grin splayed across Yoonwoo’s face stayed questionably. Diminishing by a fraction then his eyes lit. “Oh! Is she – ”

Sehun grinned at her. Back to his friend. “We’re expecting.”

Great. So, she was also going to be a liar here, too.

Feeling smaller than ever Namjoo’s eyes swept past his groupmates. Every man, every woman at some point in their lives had grown wings and flew away from their caterpillar shells. But she had never hatched from her shell.

She had never gone anywhere past being a liar.

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

“I’m going to go get some water.” Namjoo excused herself mid-conversation.

Sehun watched her slide through the crowd to the refreshment table, his arm now empty, feeling amiss.

“She feeling ok?” The ex-photography club president wondered.

“She’s fine.” Sehun said.

He wasn’t interested in the class reunion. Meeting up with people he only knew in name now sounded kind of pointless, but here he was. Suddenly keen on showing Namjoo off to everyone. Look at my beautiful wife, jealous?

“Hey, hey!” A familiar voice approached.

Sehun internally groaned at Hwayi’s approach. The cousin in a dark blue suit and black dress shirt with the top three buttons undone to boast his muscular chest. Honestly, what was the guy on?

Linking an arm around both him and Yoonwoo, Hwayi haughtily grinned, “Old buddies, are we enjoying ourselves?”

Uncomfortably faking a smile, Yoonwoo slid away lying, “Minyoung’s been looking for me. I should go.”

Abandoned, Sehun shrugged Hwayi off. “Stop with the act.”

“Oh?” Hwayi teased. “I’m the one acting?”

Sehun glared at him.

Nudging him, Hwayi crooned, “Oh, come on. Lighten up. By the way, where’s our Namjoo?”

“She’s not ours!” Sehun growled irate.

Surrendering playfully with palms up. “Calm down, brother.” Continuing friskily, “Of course, you know I don’t mean it like that.”

“Then what do you mean?” he hissed.

The corner of Hwayi’s lips drew up almost devilishly. “Then, how’s it catching her heart? Do you want another hint?”

Sehun bit down on his teeth. A fast debate between the angel and devil on his shoulder whether to give in or not. He was still desperate about Namjoo, but this was Hwayi.

“Considering you got married pretty fast, because you know,” Hwayi lifted a shoulder, “you got her pregnant, right? I mean between a man and a woman, I get it, we act without thinking. When we men see a pretty woman…”

“Shut up before I punch you,” Sehun warned.

Chuckling merrily Hwayi high spiritedly went on, “Come on, brother. You know I mean no harm. Just saying I know how fast things can progress from point one to point three.”

Sehun scoured Hwayi’s empty side, “Shouldn’t you be with your date?”

“Oh, she’s around all right,” Hwayi ambiguously answered. Something trickery in his eyes made Sehun wonder. “That’s her. I believe you know her very well.”

Sehun frowned aggravated at his cousin. Catching the gleam in his focused eyes before following its lead to the refreshment table, seeing Namjoo.

Then Jin.

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

Beef tacos. Bite size crackers, cutout slices of cheese, triangular sandwiches, nachos and dips. Snacks. Snacks. More snacks.

Where was the buffet? That was the real question as Namjoo observed the options available.

Tossing some crackers into , she helped herself to the bowl of fruit punch. This wasn’t going to fill her up. She’d need more than this. Once Sehun came to find her she was going to ask to leave. Enough of this.

“There’s vodka in there.” A voice popped up on her left.

Namjoo turned to see Jin in a refined white dress. Then scanned the plastic cup in her hand. The fruit punch filled almost to the brim because she was greedy that way.

Cocking a smart smile onto her lips, Jin cattishly said, “If you’re pregnant, I wouldn’t drink that.”

“Oh…” laughing a little Namjoo put the cup down. Wittily lying, “My nose is clogged. I can’t really smell right now. Pregnancy does some weird things to the body.” but she was growing hot neck down for almost being caught.

Jin’s firm smile grew. “I assume Sehun brought you?”

“Well…yes…”

“He used to tell me it would be me here with him in the future.” Jin traced a hand across the refreshment table. “Has he mentioned me these days?”

“About that…” Namjoo’s mind scurried to grasp the situation. Was she supposed to feel sorry for the ex-girlfriend? Or defend Sehun?

The right movement should be…

“I visited him at work.” Jin changed the topic. “Did he tell you?”

Namjoo blinked. She didn’t know. The past few days she’d been trying to hurt him, make him despise her. All to no avail.

The fact that Jin was trying to get into Sehun’s face again made her feel sorry…for him. Was Sehun having a hard time and not saying? And she was adding to that mix?

“I told him my fling is over.” Jin told. “Maybe his might end, too.”

“Sorry?” Namjoo started frowning.

“You said you’re married but not really,” Jin reminded.

Yes, she had. The first time they met.

“If it’s for the baby, you won’t be staying long.” Jin stated. “Isn’t that right?”

Namjoo’s mouth kind of went dry.

“Sehun only wants his baby,” Jin concluded, “then you can go back to…wherever it is you’re from. Right, where is it you’re from? Even you can’t remember. Will Hwayi know? I heard you’re longtime friends with him.”

Her heart raced, the panic increasing.

“Are you jealous?” Namjoo asked. Jin’s expression went terse, so Namjoo went with, “I have what you should’ve had if you stayed loyal to an honest man who waited two years. But I didn’t cheat, I didn’t take your place. Sehun chose me.”

It wasn’t even a hard hit. It was the entire truth she’d heard from Sehun, so Namjoo didn’t see it coming.

The slap stung so hard she swore she saw the light to heaven. Every particle of her body went numb. She stopped thinking for a whole minute.

Namjoo consciously felt the yank on her arm. Heard the gasp as Sehun shoved Jin away from her. Heat welled in her face as she stared straight into Sehun’s strong mighty back.

“I told you to stay away from her,” Sehun snarled. She recognized the heavy of his breathing before he looked at her with ferocity glimmering in his pupils.

Grabbing her hand, he pulled her outside.

Sehun was pissed off. She could feel it from the heat flowing off him like shockwaves. Deep orange, dark red. His shoulders were so tense. Although she couldn’t see his face, she sensed it within.

He only let her go by the car. Spinning around to look at her still huffing, heated. Then his expression softened immensely. Sehun hesitated before touching her pink cheek. The pain reverberated in the gleam of his eyes she felt it in her soul even more than when he confessed.

Abruptly tugging her into his arms he hugged her tightly.  

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

Sehun pulled up right to the stairs so the walk home wouldn’t have to be too far. Rounding the car on speedy legs he touched Namjoo’s arm.

“Let’s take your shoes off first.” He suggested bending down to help her remove the spiny heels. He was grateful she’d endured the painful outfit for him. Now they were home she could go back to her usual self.

Namjoo scurried back. “I’m fine. I’m getting used to them.”

Straightening he peeked at her concerned she was lying. The pink on her left cheek pained him. It would bruise. In the coming days her pretty face would sting. He was so angry!

“Here.” He shrugged off his blazer. “Put this on. I’ll carry you.”

Namjoo touched his arm stopping him. “My dress isn’t that short. I’m ok.”

“Why aren’t you listening to me?” he scolded frustrated.

The graceful strides in which she was taking this hurt him. “I’ll ride on your back.”

The stormy ocean in him calmed at her acceptance. Shifting around he lowered himself enough for her to climb on. Twining her arms around his neck he felt her rest her head on his shoulder. Needless say, his heart flipped and flopped crazily.

“Comfortable?” he asked lighthearted.

“Mm…” she sounded.

The grin on his face grew as he slowly trekked home. He was so touched by her acceptance of him tonight.

“I forgot what a horrible weapon jealousy is.” Namjoo chimed.

“What?” he questioned.

“Just saying, jealousy is a killer.” Namjoo rotated her head digging her chin into his shoulder.

He flinched, digging his torso lower. “Stop, it tickles!”

“This?” She dug her chin deeper into his shoulder. Sehun yelped running in zigzags as she giggled. Teasing and playing with each other as they reached home.

Inside the warmth of his house Namjoo slid off his back. He nearly regretted the removal of her hands. Sehun glanced over his shoulder taking a last peek of how she’d dolled up tonight, doing more than he’d asked of her.

He was so abundantly full of luck.

Slowly shifting around he gave her a long peck. Withdrawing he opened his eyes soaking in another last glimpse of his most wonderful person.

Namjoo didn’t run off. Didn’t shove him away. Glare or hit him. He gushed as her hands slid up the hills of shoulders. Felt the glide of her arms locking around his neck. The soft of her fingers touch his nape as she tiptoed to kiss him. All his love combusted when he opened his mouth for her.

One deep kiss and more as her body curved into him and he held on tighter.


***Honestly that should be the title cover but whatever I'm too lazy to fix things

***but this is the chapter I've waited for kekekekekekekeek better things to come!