Just a Little

Ace of Hearts

The interior was fantastic. None Namjoo had ever imagined before. Napkins were folded into triangles on every table. Long, wide tables in the common room they passed through. In the next, round tables covered in deep white sheets. A gigantic water painting of huge white lilies hung off one wall. Empty wine glasses sat in front of every matching upholstered chair to be filled later.

Three-tier golden chandeliers hung in the center of every room, glowing majestically. Namjoo’s mouth gaped as her head tilted back to soak in her surroundings. Her heels clicked and clacked against the wooden flooring as a formally attired waiter led them into a private room bearing only four tables separated wide and far from each other.

Behind them two giant glossy doors showed a scenic view of the evening sky, a deep mixture of pretty blue and green beyond an outdoor patio. Namjoo spotted an arc with wild flower vines twining through the structure.

Hyena was already waiting for them at the table. By words of choice Sehun wasn’t wrong. She was extremely dolled up with peach hued blush shading her high cheeks and beautifully wavy hair with not a strand loose. Her eye makeup correlated with her off-shoulder asymmetrical cocktail dress. Even Namjoo stared at her creamy shoulders with hints of envy.

Damn if she wasn’t a fine lady. Her shoulder bones were perfectly shaped for a woman.

Sehun coughed from within his throat for her attention. He was pulling out a chair for her to sit. Catching herself a little too late Namjoo plopped down embarrassed. Sitting on her right Sehun pulled his chair in. The waiter proceeded to ask for their drinks.

“Do you have soda?” Namjoo asked.

Sehun’s stare hardened. Hyena quietly laughed under her breath.

Hot neck down, Namjoo uneasily laughed. “I’ll take water.”

“Yes, ma’am.” The waiter nodded and shuffled backwards before walking away from the table.

Jittery, she moved her feet around beneath the table.

“Why, Namjoo, you’ve really outdone yourself tonight.”

Breathing a faint laugh, Namjoo said, “No, not really. I think you’re honestly prettier.”

Although Sehun had taken her to get her makeup and hair done, Namjoo did not want to go through the pain of having stylists brush and touch her up again. She had never felt so violated before as they poked and prodded their brushes and hands all over her face and hair.

Out of all the things Sehun had done for her today she liked the dress best. A long-sleeve midi dress with sheer material for the sleeves. It had to be the prettiest thing she’d worn in her lifetime. Only she wished there wasn’t a slit thigh down at the back of her dress.

Hyena firmly smiled in a sly way. “I’m surprised Sehun has fallen head over heels for something so simple.”

“Beauty is in the eye the beholder.” Namjoo tried not to grimace when Sehun looked at her with soft eyes.

Uncomfortable she stared at her empty wine glass.

“I ordered a set for us. I hope you will enjoy it, Namjoo.” Hyena said. “You’re not picky?”

Namjoo glanced at her. She didn’t know what a set was. So, Sehun wasn’t paying a cent for today’s dinner? She quickly looked to him to explain.

“She enjoys everything. No problem.” Sehun helped.

“Yes, I’m not picky at all.” Namjoo smiled widely.

“To be so in tune, why I’m jealous.” Hyena commented. Purposely looking at Sehun with doe eyes, “I remember on our dates you gave way to everything I wanted to have.” To her, “Is he the same with you?”

By way of that, was she actually saying Sehun treated every girl the same and she should be jealous? If Hyena wasn’t special, there was no reason she should be either?

How dirty of prim and proper to try and make her feel like nothing. Of course, Namjoo shouldn’t care. None of this was real and meant nothing to her. Then on the other hand, Namjoo’s self-worth was being threatened.

Two-hundred-thousand she reminded herself.

For just tonight she had to be lovey-dovey with Sehun. She could do this. She could do this. She could do this.

Taking a breath, Namjoo happily paraded, “I actually don’t know. Maybe I just love everything he loves. Like he loves sleeping on his left side and I found out I started doing the same. When we shower, I started washing my hair last like he does. Perhaps I like him so much I started doing everything he does. So instead of catering to each other,” she made sure to look at him lovingly, “we just do the same things.”

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

“HAHA,” Namjoo cackled on the way home, “HAHAHA!”

From behind the wheel Sehun peered over at her. Namjoo having the time of her life laughing crazily in the passenger’s seat. He almost wanted to laugh, too.

She could be such a liar when she wanted to.

“You’re really having that much fun?” Sehun asked.

Namjoo finally stopped laughing but choked on her saliva and coughed. “No. It’s not very funny, but that was the worst lie I’ve ever told. But she believed me.” She continued giggling.

Scoffing he returned to focusing on the road. Pulling into the driveway he drove up to the front doors and killed the engine. Home at last.

Getting out of the car he headed up the stairs pausing when he didn’t hear Namjoo following him. Looking backwards he saw her sitting on the first step. Wondering what she was up to he went back down to find her unstrapping her shoes.

“What are you doing?” he asked.

“My feet hurt, so I’m taking the shoes off.”

“Give them.” He grabbed the heels from her hand. Slipping out of his blazer he offered it to her.

Namjoo eyed the offering. Taking it from him she commented, “Why, you actually have a sweet bone in your body.”

When she started putting her arm through a sleeve, he corrected, “Around your waist.”

Stopping, she questionably eyed him. “What?”

Sighing, he removed the blazer off her and put his arms around her knotting the sleeves tightly at her stomach. Ignoring the look of surprise, he turned around. “The floor’s dirty, so don’t walk barefoot. Get on, I’ll carry you.”

Slipping her arms around his shoulders, Namjoo climbed onto his back. “Don’t ask me to repay you later.” She said once he started up the stairs.

“I won’t guarantee that.”

Folding her arms around his neck he felt her lean her head comfortably onto his shoulder. “You have nice broad shoulders.”

The surprise from hearing it lingered a few seconds longer than he anticipated. If they haven’t just had dinner, he would assume she was drunk, but she wasn’t and it was kind of nice that they weren’t bickering. Hearing her comment made his heart flutter. A teeny bit.

“Yeah, well, don’t fall asleep.”

“Never.” She retorted.

He breathed a laugh.

“So, am I heavier or is your girlfriend heavier?” Namjoo questioned.

His eyes dipped down to the linoleum flooring. “I don’t know. I’ve never carried her.”

“Then that makes me the first?” Namjoo joked. “How special.”

“It’s because she’s strong and capable.”

Namjoo lifted her head off his shoulder. “Then I can walk. Put me down.”

“Forget it. We’re almost there.” Pushing the back door open he stepped outside.

He could imagine her making a face at him before settling her head back on his shoulder. On the way home he slowed a little. Though not completely dark yet the faintest of stars were already showing. The impatient moon starting to climb above the tree line before the sun fully descended. No clouds tonight. Just an open sky opening an entire world above them.

Quiet. No wind. Only the smells of late summertime and the vast earth accompanied by the warmth of Namjoo’s body and her relaxed form. As if she was enjoying the most of this piggyback ride.  

“I guess this is what a piggyback feel like,” Namjoo said. “When I was little my mom was always too tired to indulge me. But now that I’m getting some money, I can help her pay some of her debts off.”

“Where’s your dad?”

Heaving a deep sigh, Namjoo replied, “I don’t know. Never met the guy. It’s always been us girls. Me, mom, Moonbi. You know her. She ran away from home, but my mom took her in so now she helps around with the business. Moonbi handed you off to me. That’s why I’m stuck here. Thinking about it, I shouldn’t have left the bathroom that night.”

The lights were still on when they approached the house. Lifting her head off his shoulder Namjoo planted a hand against his back to push herself off.

“Oh! We’re here!” She sounded as excited as ever. “Let me down.”

At her insistence he removed his hands and she slid off his back. Stretching her arms up she gasped satisfied.

For someone who had complained all day she was quickly cheerful again.

Catching him looking she perked up. “Oh, right.” Untying his blazer, she handed it to him. “I almost forgot.”

“I know Hyena is a little difficult, but thanks for tonight.”

“Well, it wasn’t like you bought me dinner.” Namjoo chirped. Grinning she eagerly turned around to open the door and darted inside. He caught her running up the stairs realizing belatedly he was still carrying her shoes for her.

The door to the bathroom was closed when he made it up the stairs. From outside he could hear the shower running. Namjoo most likely wanted to scrub herself clean after spending that long hour and a half at the salon. Something she may have never experienced before, but before dinner he wanted her looking her best.

Seeing that Hyena always dressed her best to flaunt her feminine beauty he had thought Namjoo couldn’t fall far behind with a little effort. Despite trying it seemed like Hyena was threatened by more than outward appearance.

By the time Namjoo was gone and Jin returned, he really hoped Hyena would be gone for good. Everything could return to normal.

Grabbing a change of clothes, he went in for a shower. By the time he was out he stepped into the hallway to see whether Namjoo was asleep or not. He would give her the heels and call it a night, but she wasn’t in her room. He did discover though a vase of flowers on the bedside table.

Intrigued he stepped into the room setting the heels down by the bed observing the familiarity of the flowers he assumed Namjoo had tossed. Guess he was wrong. Beneath the flowers he spotted his baby picture. Sehun imagined she probably laughed at it every night before turning the lights out. Sure, he’d let her have it. For now.

To find out where she’d gone, he went downstairs. Namjoo was at the kitchen table snacking on the rest of the oranges his father had given her. Her hair was damp and she’d changed into a comfortable set of clothes. Almost appearing like she was in her own home unwinding after a long night out.

He didn’t understand why Hyena was so threatened by Namjoo who always seemed to be residing in her own habitat whenever and wherever.

Walking into the kitchen he grabbed the seat across from her. “Are you still hungry even after eating?”

“You call a plate decorated by slices of vegetable a whole meal?” Namjoo gnawed on a fruit. “Set or whatever, that food was a waste of money. The restaurant should be shut down.”

He scoffed grabbing an orange and started peeling off the skin. “You ate everything.”

“Because there was so little on it.” Namjoo popped three slices into .

“Then what do you call a meal?”

Mischief glistened in her pupils. “Meat.”

Honestly, he couldn’t help laughing. “Is that your favorite food?”

She nodded. “Every meal has to be eaten with meat.”

“All right. Noted.”

A brow dipped down her face. When he ate the last slice of his orange, she possessively grabbed the bowl containing the last three fruits.

“Fine, have the rest.” He said. He was full anyway. Getting up he said, “I’m going to sleep now. I put your shoes in your room. Don’t stay up too late.”

She shooed him off with a wave of her hands. Walking away he paused halfway down the kitchen entrance and glanced back at her once before heading upstairs.

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

Turning the lights out Namjoo rolled into bed patting her happily satisfied stomach. Smiling she closed her eyes. Popping them open when the solid of Sehun’s back randomly flashed through her mind.

Shaking her head to scatter the thoughts she flipped onto her side. She wasn’t interested in a taken man. God Mary Jesus she was better than that. Pulling the blanket over her head she curled up emptying her mind for tonight’s blissful dreams.

It felt like an hour just passed when her eyes opened again. The sun was up, the world was awake, and the room was bright. Drearily blinking, Namjoo got up and went across the hallway to the bathroom she regarded hers now. After washing up she went downstairs.

The cook wasn’t in the kitchen. She stood at the doorway blankly. Thinking about her mother yesterday made her miss her a little today. She couldn’t call home or else she’d leave this instant. Shuffling over to the fridge she opened it and peered inside.

Although she’d been living here, she hadn’t rummaged through the kitchen once. She had no idea where Miss Cook kept her kitchen tools or utensils. It took a good three minutes to find a pan and a spatula. Then oil was warming up in the pan on the stove and in went two eggs.

“What are you doing?”

“God!” She whipped around so fast her heart lurched. Pressing a hand to her chest she snarled at Sehun. “You scared me.”

His gaze landed smack on the pan.

“What?” she asked. “So, I’m cooking. Why? It’s not for you.”

He glanced at his expensive watch. “The cook isn’t here yet. If you were hungry you could have woken her.”

“I wanted a homemade meal.” Namjoo told.

“Meals here are homemade.” He pointed out.

Retracting her sudden statement, Namjoo clarified, “I mean, I was craving for my mom’s eggs.” Her eyes flew up to the ceiling and she laughed a little. “You know, I mean not that way. I’m talking about her recipe.”

His face laughed at her though he didn’t actually do it.

“You know if you’re just going to stand there and judge me, you can go watch the Sunday news or something. Shoo, shoo.” She waved at him.

Crossing his arms, he said, “Then I want some, too.”

Namjoo felt like she’d just tipped off the edge of a cliff. “What? My food?”

“Madam Kim’s special recipe that you were talking about.” He said.

Namjoo glanced at the eggs she was scrambling. Cook for him?

Challenge accepted.

“Then you’re going to have to eat it no matter what.” Namjoo declared.

He shrugged a shoulder. “All right.”

Quickly cooking another set of scrambled eggs, Namjoo proudly placed the plate in front of him. Sehun observed the food as if afraid.

“Taste it. I promise it’s good.” Namjoo prodded.

Eating a spoonful, she waited eagerly, somewhat nervously. She had never cooked for someone other than herself before. She would consider this a trial run for future events.

It felt like forever before he nodded. “It’s good. What’d you put in there?”

Pulling the chair in front of her out, Namjoo quickly sat and picked up her spoon. “Just cheese.”

“Cheese?”

Taking a spoonful herself, she explained, “I told you, my mom worked a lot when I was younger. Eggs are the most affordable source of protein. When I got tired of it my mom put in a slice of cheese while cooking eggs and I’d eat it every time. It blends perfectly, doesn’t it?”

“You’ve talked a lot about your mom since yesterday,” he remarked. “Why don’t you call her?”

“She knows I’m fine.” Namjoo said. “Plus, it’s not like I’ll be here forever, right?”

She bobbed her head happily at the thought of bringing a large sum of money home. In a matter of seconds, she devoured her entire plate, reminded of the many afternoons and evenings when she was younger how she filled up on this dish.

Satisfied, she her lips. Glancing over she saw Sehun had finished his share. He was quick to cut her off when she started reaching for his plate.

“Leave the dishes.”

“Why?” she asked.

Something black and silver dropped magically from his hand. A key.

“We’re going out.”

“Really?!”

He wagged the keys in front of her. “You can drive.”

Her hand automatically reached out to snatch the keys, but Sehun pulled them back.

“Don’t you think you should change first?”

Jumping up so fast she nearly threw the chair over, she playfully saluted him, “Yes, sir!”

Shrieking thrilled she dashed out of the room wondering in her wild dreams if he’d woken up on the wrong side of the bed today.