It Doesn't Stop

Ace of Hearts

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

Sehun was waiting at the car when Namjoo finally came down the stairs, running toward him full of charged energy. Literally hopping off the last step she landed right in front of him, palm out, wagging her fingers.

“Keys.” She ordered.

Dropping the keys into her hand, he warned, “I just washed and vacuumed the car, so…” but she wasn’t even listening. At the beep the doors unlocked and she disappeared inside.

Wheeling around he opened the door and slid into the passenger’s seat. It gave him a strange feeling to be driven in his own vehicle. Like he’d lost a total sense of control.

“You’re not driving into the city, you know that.” He told zipping the seatbelt over him.

“What? Why?” She sounded disappointed.

“Go down the road, make a right. It’s a quiet highway.”

“I don’t need a driving course.” Namjoo complained.

“Then give me the keys. I’ll drive.”

She revved the engine and that was her answer.

“Thirty minutes top.” Sehun bargained.

“Fine.” Namjoo gave in. “And I thought you were weirdly nice today.”

“I’m already giving you a lot. Enjoy all you have right now.” Sehun told.

Namjoo pouted, but changed gear and sped toward the gate. She drove faster down the abandoned highway. Despite protesting he caught the gleam of bliss in her eyes, the growing smile on her face, euphoria lighting the gloom on her expression.

She’d whined constantly about being bored in his home. Sehun had been so caught up at work he didn’t really know how to appease her. She neither knew the surroundings here nor was she familiar with anyone. He felt safer knowing she was at his house than elsewhere with the possibility of causing some kind of disturbance or misunderstanding.

If he let her blow off some steam it would reduce some of her stress. He would feel guilty if her state of mind faltered.

They passed barns, grazing cows, more rolling hills, and grass that stretched for eons. The woods ominously grew thicker hundreds of miles beyond. A lay of white clouds hovered low above the green-blue mountains in the distance. So picturesque it resembled some kind of astonishing painting.

“Pull over at the rest stop.” Sehun directed when they pasted the city limit sign.

“It’s over already?” Namjoo pouted.

“You drove for forty-five minutes.” Sehun stated.

“But I don’t always drive like you.” Namjoo pointed out. Swiftly pulling into an empty spot she braked and turned off the engine.

“Get out.” he instructed hearing her sigh as she pushed the door open. Walking around the car he took the key from her and locked the doors. “Let’s get something to eat.”

At the mention of food her eyes brightened.

As she ecstatically hopped after him, he said, “Now you can take back what you said about me not buying you a meal.”

Nudging his arm, she teased, “I suppose you’re a little human after all.” Skipping ahead she half-twisted around, “I can order all I want?”

Extending an arm, he gestured for her to do as she please. It wasn’t to his surprise that Namjoo seriously went all out. Almost stopping at every available vendor to grab a little of this, some of that, and dessert in the process. In the end they had taken up an entire table for eight. Curious onlookers passing through stared at them on their way inside or outside.

Sehun had to say he was a little embarrassed, but carefree as she was Namjoo was completely unbothered. He ate his fill then watched her devour the rest like he had starved her the entire week.

He drove them back. Except he drove past the house and kept going. Along the drive Namjoo curiously stared out the window.

“You missed the house.” She turned to him wide-eyed. “Where are we going?”

Without answering he continued driving. Pulling up to an electronic store several minutes later. Namjoo walked with him into the shop. Sticking close to him she the various instruments on display.

“Is there anything I can help you find today?” A salesperson hurried to them.

“Which one do you want?” Sehun glanced at her.

“Me?” She stared at him bug eyed. Shaking her head, “I don’t know anything. I’ve never had a computer before.”

Back to the salesperson he inquired for the same model he kept at home. On the way home Namjoo hugged the box on her lap like a little girl who’d just gotten a four-foot dollhouse she’d dreamed of every night. Pure glee shone like dozens of stares in her eyes.

“You’re so nice today,” Namjoo happily gloated. Holding up a hand, “I promise I won’t be mean to you the rest of the week.”

Sehun scoffed. “I don’t expect it to last.”

That evening as he strode past her room, he found her not on her phone but glued intensely to her new laptop.  

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

Maintaining her best behavior, Namjoo ran after Sehun when he finished his breakfast Monday morning. Waving from the kitchen entrance and shouting, “Have a good day!” before hopping upstairs to play on the computer.

Doing nothing all day but downloading games, searching for news, and looking for posts about Moon Club. For a few hours she blasted music on the computer, got up from the bed to stretch a few times, and then her phone rang.

Hurriedly running over to lower the volume she picked up her phone. Had to blink a few times in case she wasn’t seeing right. Hubby showed on the screen in big white letters.

Tossing her head back she released an unbelievable gasp.

Hitting the answer button, she pressed the phone to her ear, demanding crudely, “What?”

“I knew your promise wouldn’t last.” Sehun nitpicked.

Compressing her lips, Namjoo accused, “You touched my phone.”

“Correction, actually my phone. I just gave it to you.”

She clicked her tongue irritated at his snide remark. “How dare you call yourself my hubby?”

“Am I not?” he joked.

“I can think of ten other name that suits you better.” Namjoo shot. “In fact, I’m going to change your name right after this.”

A knock on the door made her turn around. Cleaner Jin was standing at the crack of the doorway. Namjoo hadn’t even noticed her. Quickly hanging up she turned around worrying how much she’d heard. What if she told Sehun’s parents on her?

“Madam would like to see you. She’s asking you to go out with her.”

“I’ll be right there.”

Changing into something appropriate Namjoo crossed the vast yard to the manor. Sehun’s mother was waiting for her in her lovely sun room.

“You’ve come?” She stood upon seeing her.

“I heard you wanted to see me.” Namjoo said.

“Come. I’ve made an appointment.”

“For what?” Were they going to see a doctor? Some gynecologist? Instantly sweating Namjoo planted her feet to the floor prepared to come up with some kind of excuse. She was sick. Nauseous. Burning up. Her legs were weak. Her head was spinning. Something.

“To look at a dress, dear.” Excitedly smiling she grabbed Namjoo’s arm urging her along.

Instinctively she searched the sun room. “Just the two of us?”

Where was Hyena?

“Of course. Who else would come?”

Hyena? There would be no one to constantly chitchat with Sehun’s mother. What was Namjoo going to talk about? Immense worry prowled through her. Unable to conjure some reason to stay home by the time they were down the stairs and inside the car.

They arrived at a different studio today. A very pretty woman greeted them inside. The store was quiet, refined, and reserved. Namjoo was currently the only customer which set her nerves on fire. All the attention lay on her, which was very unsettling. She couldn’t breathe when Madam Oh began to talk about an upcoming wedding and the store owner, nodding throughout conversation, complimented and blessed her with smiles.

“Then, I’ll take her into the back to change.” The woman explained. To her, “This way, please.”

Uneasily glancing at Sehun’s mother, Namjoo followed the woman into a very large dressing room in the back. A beautiful white strapless embroidered tulle wedding dress was hanging from a single hook at the back of the room. The bottom flared and flowed beautifully to the floor majestically. Up front and up close the beads delicately sewn by hand twinkled beneath the lights.

The effort put into creating a unique dress was overwhelming. Meant to be given to a happy bride genuinely in love. To a woman deeply devoted to spending the rest of her life with whom she truly cared for.

Namjoo wasn’t qualified.

“I think I want to be alone.” Namjoo clenched her hand into a fist.

“Certainly. There are a few buttons that may require assistance. Please call me when you’re ready.”

Namjoo was left with no way out when the woman exited the room. Anxiety quivered through her.

What was she going to do?

Trapped, Namjoo uneasily paced the room. Panicking. Heart racing. Then there was a knock on the door. The woman asking if she was doing all right, did she need help?

“N…no! I’m not ready!” Namjoo shouted. Hissing underneath her breath, Namjoo did the inevitable.

She had to change.

The dress was lighter than she expected despite the many layers. Namjoo slipped right in without difficulty and amazingly, the dress fit her snugly. The saleswoman returned to help aid with some lower buttons and mulled over the dress.

“You’re so beautiful!” she exclaimed for the nth time that day. How many times she must have to repeat the compliment daily.

Namjoo was led out into a show room consisting of three paneled windows. Too many reflections of her front, right, left she couldn’t stand it.

“Let me look at you.” Sehun’s mother walked over. Gently touching her shoulders, the elder woman pivoted her around. In her hand Namjoo spotted an ivory wedding veil with white lace appliques. Small gems were sewn onto the center of every floral piece.

“Oh no, mother.” Namjoo rejected.

“We must. Be good.”

Shaking her head profusely, Namjoo refused, “It’s not necessary.” but she was defeated by the elder.

Everything inside her quivered when the woman draped the veil over her head, folding it over carefully once so as not to cover her face.

No this wasn’t right.

No this couldn’t be happening.

Namjoo couldn’t say anything as Sehun’s mother adjusted the veil over her shoulder with cautious hands. Sincerely focused on perfecting an image in her mind of a perfect bride, a daughter-in-law she was awfully excited to welcome with wide, open arms into the family.

The elder woman breathed a tiny laugh when a tear dropped down her face. “Excuse this old woman.”

Her smile came off so frail a part of Namjoo’s heart cracked for the lie she was telling. Questioning for the first time, what she was doing?

“You’re just so beautiful.” Sehun’s mother adored. Affectionately brushing her hair behind her shoulder, she said, “The look isn’t complete, but we’ll fix your hair and clip the veil in. Everything will be flawless.”

On the way home the guilt was so heavy every worry she’d started the day with vanished.

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

The home smelled of food when Sehun walked in. The cook was in the kitchen partially concealed by the steam flowing off the pots and pans on the stove. So busy that she didn’t even notice him peeking inside.

Heading upstairs he went in search of Namjoo. Must be on her computer if not her phone. She’d be prepared to chastise him for pranking her. Knocking on her closed door he waited for her to call out. Go away or what do you want. But nothing.

Testing the knob to find it was unlocked, he pulled the door open. It was quiet, strangely. Poking his head inside he spotted Namjoo laying on the bed back to him. Asleep maybe. Walking farther inside he leaned over to peek at her. Shockingly enough Namjoo was wide awake. Just lying there silently.

“What?” he asked. “You were awake.”

No remark.

Straightening, he said, “Dinner is almost ready. Come down and let’s eat.”

He waited a beat then left the room and went back downstairs. It really took Namjoo a while to arrive. Dishes were set, glasses by each empty plate. Plenty of meat was available. Without a word, Namjoo sat down. The entire time as she slowly ate he waited for her to chide him.

But nothing.

“What’s wrong?” he asked. “You’re not eating. There’s a lot of meat.”

“Nothing.” She sounded soulless. It was obvious something was on her mind. Putting down her spoon Namjoo scooted her chair back. “I’m actually not hungry.”

By the time he passed her room after dinner the door was locked, the lights switched off. After the phone call with her he wasn’t exactly sure what she’d done all day. Mood swings perhaps?

Yet Namjoo was quiet at the table the following morning. Not sharing much of a conversation. She abnormally picked at her food. Sehun had no idea what was going on with her.

“What did you do yesterday?” he asked.

“Not much.”

“Are you sick?”

“I’m fine.”

“You sure?”

“Yeah.”

“Ok. Then if anything comes up, call me.”

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

Namjoo started thinking about her mother again. About the mornings she used to slap a sandwich together and send her off to school. Toiling hard so that Namjoo had a bed, a roof over her head, something on the table. Providing constantly for her until Namjoo grew taller, a little stronger, somewhat more capable of managing for herself.

The way her mother celebrated by giving her a shot of liquor, regarding the fact she was underage, when she passed an interview for a job. The one and only time her mother spared some time out of her busy schedule to do something for her. A small but big thing that touched Namjoo.

Their relationship wasn’t always rainbow and sunshine. More than once Namjoo attempted running away from home. Through rain or snow or sunny days some kind of food waited on the table for her when she returned exhausted and depleted, doing a day’s worth of nothing but starving and roaming the big city. Even if no mother stayed up for her the food was there. Her mother always caring and watching out for her.

No big words needed to be had. Namjoo always relied on the love between them to get through the day. Realizing in later years when she became an adult her mother must have always done the same. Thinking of her through the day to overcome obstacles.

Then Moon Club blossomed in their lives. Combining some money to start the business. Celebrating with drinks in an empty club when her mother qualified for bank loans to remodel, refinish, and bring a moldy building back to life.  

The love of a parent for their child could never be explained in words. For Sehun’s mother to treat her like one of her own made this act that much more disheartening. When Namjoo wasn’t sincere about any of this. Just Sehun’s trickery, nothing more.

Perhaps Sehun may be forgiven, but she was a mere outsider. Leaving a scar behind would follow her like a ghost the rest of her life. To elder parents who loved their only son, parents that just wanted to celebrate and congratulate him for taking the next big leap in his life.

They were pure. They were true.

Namjoo didn’t want to break their hearts. They were so good to her, someone who had just randomly crashed into their lives. Accepting her out of the blue because of some lie that she was pregnant with their first grandchild.

Namjoo resorted to bed after breakfast. Trying to come up with some plan in the meantime. Not an hour later and she heard noises banging, footsteps shuffling outside the room. Getting up Namjoo opened the door confused when she saw deliveryman dragging a huge box past her room. Next, she heard a y laughter which belonged to none other than Sehun’s father.

Coming up the stairs he first spotted her. “Was our daughter-in-law resting? Sorry if the noise bothered you.”

“Father?” Namjoo frowned. “What’s going on?”

Pointing a finger forward he explained in a happy whisper, “It’s what your mom ordered. Want to watch the men put it together? I heard it’s really pretty.”

Her brows twined together. In order to find out, Namjoo followed him down the hall to the unused bedroom next door. Arriving in time to find two deliverymen cutting open a gigantic box. Pieces of wood and metal clambered to the floor. Beside her Sehun’s father gladly chortled.

“Have you eaten?” he asked. “I’ve brought some more oranges for you. Find them in the kitchen whenever you’re hungry.” He leaned in cheerily. “Don’t let my son have any.”

Trying her hardest to smile, Namjoo nodded.

Sehun’s parents were incessantly burning the wayward road for her.