The Schemer

Ace of Hearts

For several days Sehun stopped by the bookstore. This was a regular stop for local students of the university Jin graduated with her Bachelor’s. Sehun was also familiar with the area.

She had introduced him to the bookstore, her favorite. There was a small café inside. Books to be rented or bought. Magazines to browse through while sipping a hot cup of coffee. Bite sized snacks to nibble when hungry.

Spending time in each other’s presence enjoying a hobby brought out the tranquility of the day. Especially on rainy days when they squeezed under one umbrella. Sharing the closeness. Savoring the intimacy. On winter days drinking hot chocolate they watched the snowfall through the window.

Just togetherness had made him so whole.

So in love.

Those were the days he truly felt alive. The forks in the roads had merged becoming one straight path. He no longer trailed off the tracks. Days were always sunny amidst the storm. What awaited at the end of the road was no longer questionable. Every single day he was a winner. Time never wasted.

That was two years ago.

Yesterday’s update was taken here. Right in front of the window Jin had posed for a picture. If she was coming home ahead of time he should have known. He had every right as her boyfriend. There was no other second guess. Sehun believed she would have told him no matter how hectic his schedule was. She knew this. He knew this.

So…why the sudden update?

Today marked visit number four. Seemed Lady Luck was on his side today. Through the window he spotted a familiar figure two tables away from the window seat. He could be mistaken, but he wouldn’t know unless he went in.

He had to.

Despite his imagination hesitation made him halt the first step in. It was the door shutting at his back that pushed him further inside. The scent of fresh coffee permeated the warm air waking his senses, bringing him back to days in memory. Nostalgia reeked throughout the bookstore. He saw himself at the fourth table giggling while flipping through a magazine; at the counter making an order of coffee and surprising Jin with it. Sehun remembered skimming through the comic bookshelf for a romantic comedy while Jin browsed the nonfiction aisle. Their differences that collided.

A shift to his right and he could almost see himself occupying the table with his girlfriend. Holding her hand sharing a hot cup of black coffee.

Except that wasn’t him at the table.

And his girlfriend who was still supposed to be abroad at the table.

His mind sculpted a scene of confrontation. In reality, Sehun stood rooted not even halfway into the bookstore. Just staring. A pitiful idiot he was. Long enough that their sixth senses alerted them a pair of eyes was watching.

The perfectly carved smile on Jin’s face melted when she glanced his way. Like snow disappearing on the tongue. Rain vanishing once it dropped to the ground.

The sceneries he’d just replayed flashed backwards in his head. Like a VCR tape stopping dead in the middle and refused to play anymore, as if erasing the entire tape’s existence.

It clicked immediately. Why the phone calls stopped coming. When he heard nothing at all from his girlfriend. She didn’t even update her profile or status. Until yesterday.

As fast as she shot up to her feet eyes widening, Sehun pivoted on a foot and shoved the door open. A ray of sunlight cut him in the face. Blinking he stepped outside not entirely sure how he felt. His feelings were strangely all over the place since Namjoo walked out on him. Sehun just couldn’t summon a definition for what he was feeling.

He was walking so fast. Thinking nothing at all. Jin’s tight grip literally pulled him to a forced stop.

Sehun realized his heart was racing. And then he didn’t know what else.

“Sehun, I…I didn’t expect to see you.” She excused. “Look, I can explain…”

He pulled his arm out of her grasp. “Forget it. You don’t have to.”

Actually, he didn’t want to hear it. Not face to face.

That he had failed.

The relationship he had expected so much from was nothing but dust.

“He was in the same exchange program.” Jin called out as he walked away. Then louder when he increased the gap between them. “I’m sorry!”

Everything that happened next was sort of a blank. Sehun only recalled speeding down the road, weaving back and forth between other vehicles, honking when a driver wasn’t fast enough. The knot in his chest tightened when he swerved into the hospital parking lot and braked so hard his tires screeched mercy. Sehun slammed the steering wheel fired up. He shut the door even louder on his way out and proceeded to stomp his way inside.

He was determined to have it out with his father and his tantrum. Tell his parents it was over. He was a liar. He deserved their punishment, whatever it may be. Yell at him. Hit him. Take away his car, his house, his independence. Say to him he was the worst son possible.

Anything to make him feel guilty. Anything at all so he could put a label on his emotions.

A pillow hit him in the face when he tried entering the doorway. His father shouted, “Get out of here!”

Sehun raised his arms up to deflect the throw a little too late. The pillow had already dropped to the floor.

“Honey!” his mother scolded.

“I’m all right.” Sehun waved her away and bent to pick up the hospital pillow.

Crossing his arms, the old man turned his back to him childishly saying, “Tell him I don’t want to see him.”  

His mother glanced at her husband sympathetically then to her son. “He doesn’t want to see you.”

“Tell him I’m not coming home until he brings back my daughter-in-law.” The elder man taunted.

“Dad, I can hear you.” Sehun told.

“I’m not talking to you.” His father huffed. To his wife, “Well? Are you going to tell him?”

His mother gave her husband a pitiful eyeful then back to him. Touching his arm, she pushed him out of the room and into the hallway out of earshot. “The doctor has ok’d your father. He can come home anytime.”

“Then sign the release papers and come home.” It was as easy as tit-for-tat.

“The thing is,” his mother’s eyes dipped to the floor before looking at him, “he doesn’t want to come home. He’s going to stay holed up here until he sees our daughter-in-law.” She sighed worriedly, “The dress fitting will be finalized soon. Can’t you beg her parents to make her come back?”

“What?” he gasped. “You want me to beg?”

“I’ll wait here with your father.” His mother gently squeezed his arm. She didn’t even bother to answer or send him off before heading back inside. She even closed the door of his father’s room. Through the side window he saw her return to sitting at the foot of the hospital bed.

He scoffed in disbelief at the tantrum they were pulling on him. This was beyond ridiculous! He had come for nothing!

Wheeling around he stomped off and went home. Jumping into the shower the first instance. He scrubbed himself for so long that the smog drifted out of his bathroom into his bedroom when he stepped out. Ignoring the cook who had called twice for him to go eat he stayed in his room. Depleted he lay on his bed staring at nothing.

Unable to stand the silence he wandered out into the hallway past the guest room that consisted of the crib. Touching the cold doorknob, he pulled the door open and glanced into the empty room.

“ert!” He could almost hear Namjoo accusing him, but there was no one. Just a bed.

Caking the door open more Sehun stepped into the room gazing over the walls. And then he was walking around inside as if searching for some hidden clue. He opened the closet to find the branded clothes still hanging, everything left behind.

Circling back around he closed in on the bed where the bouquet was now dying on the bed where Namjoo left it. The ones in the vase were now rotting. Dried petals had drifted onto the bedside table. Many of it covering the baby picture also still there.

Brushing the remnants of the flower away to uncover the picture Sehun felt a tinge of loneliness. Now there was really nothing. Only him in this house. Alone again.

Sitting on the bed he plopped down next to the phone, the bouquet, and the laptop. He didn’t know what to do now. Heaving a sigh, he closed his eyes. When he woke up what felt like hours later it was already daytime. Surprisingly he had fallen asleep.

Shaking himself awake he washed up, ate breakfast while staring at the empty spot opposite him, and reveling in how few dishes there was on the table. Less meat, too. Leaving his meal unfinished, Sehun left for work. Returning to a desolately silent home in the evening.

The quiet continued to buzz at dinnertime. Eating alone had never made him feel so pathetic. Suddenly he wanted to talk to someone, but there was no one to accompany him. Appetite diminishing, he left the food unfinished and escaped upstairs hoping a shower would freshen him up.

Turning the lights off he crawled into bed and shut his eyes although there was not a tired bone in his body. The silence seemed to tick inside his head noisily. And then his eyes popped open and he sat up.

He did know where to find her.

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

Sneezing again, Namjoo groaned and rubbed her nose.

“What’s wrong with you?” Moonbi grimaced. “Are you sick?”

“No.” Namjoo sniffed. Great, her nose was suddenly stuffed.

“You’ve been sneezing all week.” Moonbi leaned back as if she might spread germs.

“I can’t help it. Am I supposed to hold in my sneeze now?” Namjoo retorted.

“Maybe someone’s been talking about you all week.” Moonbi suggested. She nudged her teasingly.

“Oh, forget it.” Namjoo shook her head as she walked away.

“Call me if there’s a hottie in the room.” Moonbi shouted after her.

Walking out of the bathroom, Namjoo followed the music to the bar. Tonight, the bass was really popping. The nightclub was packed with patrons. Bodies were smashed against one another on the dance floor. A step toward the VIP table where her date of the night was sitting and the heat from all the bodies crammed together was excruciatingly unbearable. Not to mention the stench of sweat mixed with liquor.

To help Namjoo waved the smell away as she plopped down to sit. Her client tonight was in his late thirties. Kind of balding but the crinkles at the corners of his eyes when he laughed was charming. He had overdressed to the club and Namjoo could already tell he’d tipped the bodyguards on his way inside. Double plus for her because she expected to bag some money tonight. Mom would be proud and the mere thought of it made her gleeful she could squeal.

“So, where were we?” Namjoo asked sitting down.

He gestured to her previously empty glass now filled to the brim. “Let’s cheers first.”

“Oh, right.” Nodding Namjoo reached for the glass. Remembering to broadly grin with a pretty smile as they clinked glasses spilling a portion of their beer onto the glossy table. Energetically releasing a whoop of hooray, she started gulping down the cup and glanced up on instinct.

Shocked, Namjoo choked on the liquid. Slamming down the cup she covered freaking out as she wildly coughed.

“Move over.” Sehun forced her a seat over as he sat down.

Across from her the client stared at them confused. Too occupied racking up coughs Namjoo couldn’t explain.

“Hi.” Sehun greeted then eyed the pitcher half empty on the table and the two empty liquor bottles. “Looks expensive. You’re probably loaded.” Jutting a thumb toward her he said, “She likes thick wallets.”

Still coughing Namjoo’s eyes went hard. Her client scoffed.

“But tell you what,” Sehun pulled out his leather wallet and tossed down a few hundreds, “I probably have more.”

Insulted her client actually glared at her before sliding out from the table and squeezed through the crowd on fast feet. In the blink of an eye he had disappeared along with her pay of the night.

Great! Perfect!

Coughing just a bit Namjoo slid all the way across the love chair to the spot where her client was sitting. Sehun had the galls to raise a brow and his head slightly as if to make his proclamation. Namjoo nearly wanted to throw her hands.

“Namjoo!” Moonbi shouted running toward her. Approaching the table, she came to a halt. Double tapping her chin when she saw Sehun she muttered what Namjoo thought was, “Oh, he already found you.”

Getting up Namjoo snatched her arm and dragged her through the group crowding around the bar table, down the corridor, and to the sleek black bathroom. Once the door swung shut, she whirled around on her sister. “You have to help me get out of here.”

“Why?” She innocently asked.

“Because…because!” Namjoo threw her arms up exacerbated. “I just have to get out of here.” Grabbing Moonbi’s shoulders she pivoted her around. “Go see if he’s outside. He might have followed us. If he is you have to distract him, so I can get away.”

Frowning, Moonbi questioned pointing behind her, “He looks familiar somehow. Who is he?”

“You don’t want to know.” Namjoo iterated. Pushing her forward, “Come on, help me.”

“Ok. Fine.” Moonbi mumbled. Opening the door, she poked her head out.

Namjoo waited while counting down the seconds. “Well?”

Peering over her shoulder she said, “He’s not there.”

“Huh?” A big question mark popped over her head. That didn’t sound right. Knowing stubborn Sehun he would have come for her if he wanted something. Shoving past Moonbi Namjoo took a step outside.

Truth be told there really was no one in the entry hall. Blasted with confusion Namjoo scratched her head and turned around to look at Moonbi. Instead she found Sehun waiting behind her.

“Moonbi, you liar!” Namjoo yelled.

Crookedly smiling Sehun said, “That was easy.”

A nerve in her neck popped and Namjoo spun around to attempt to flee, failing miserably when Sehun’s long arm wound around her waist and easily threw her over his shoulder.

“Are you crazy?!” She screamed pounding his back with her fists. “Put me down! Moonbi!”

Standing in front of the bathroom doorway, Moonbi cupped hands around screaming, “Have fun! Get laid!”

Namjoo flailed and kicked to no avail. Even the bodyguards said, “Goodnight, sir.” as they exited the club.

“You despicable bastards!” Namjoo screamed at them. She pounded Sehun’s back some more. “You bribed them, didn’t you?! Are you not going to put me down?!”

Half a minute later and she was huffing and out of breath. Her belly was sore. Then finally she landed on her feet, but unluckily with no way to escape. Her back was pressed against his car and his arm barred her from any more movement; the other held the door open.

“Get in.” he ordered.

“What? Why?” She cried out. She yelped when his hand landed on her head as he tucked her into the car. “Ow! I can do it myself!”

Sliding into the seat mumbling under breath Namjoo spun around to verbally curse him, but slammed her face into the window just when the door closed. What a loser! Wasting no time Namjoo yanked the knob to pry the door open. It was child locked.

Realizing her dire situation, Namjoo screeched, “Oh Sehun!”

Hurriedly trying to scroll down the window Namjoo repeatedly hit the button, but that too was locked. Pounding the window with her palms she kicked the floor helplessly and veered around with venom floating on her tongue when Sehun slid behind the wheel.

“Are you ing crazy?!” Namjoo screamed.

“Put your seatbelt on.” Sehun started the engine.

“Hmph!” Namjoo angrily crossed her arms defiantly.

“Don’t say I didn’t warn you.” He said punching the accelerator and sped off knocking her back into the seat with a thud.

“Hey!” Namjoo swore.

“I told you,” he said.

Hissing at him Namjoo aggressively pulled on the seatbelt. “This is kidnapping. I’m going to tell Moonbi to call the cops on you.”

She readily whipped out her phone intent on escaping. Right now.

“My dad is in the hospital.”

Her fingers froze over the screen. Abruptly glancing at him, she asked, “Why is father in the hospital?” Then mentally slapped herself for her mistake. “I mean, your dad is in the hospital?”

Sehun looked at her with a spark in his eyes she didn’t quite recognize. “He’s just waiting to see you now.”

Was he dying?

Oh god, did her lie send him to the hospital?


***HAHAHA the way he is full of lies now