Catching Feelings

Ace of Hearts

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

“Ow! That hurts.” Namjoo complained when the stylist pulled her hair back. Whining even more when the woman furiously hit the hair spray nozzle that the particles rained all over her. Forced to clamp her eyes shut, Namjoo held her breath unable to wait until the styling was over.

Her was cramping and her legs gone stiff. She’d been sitting in this chair for two hours getting her makeup and hair done by a pair of tedious hands. Woken up at five in the morning to prepare for the photoshoot Sehun’s mother wholeheartedly scheduled for them.

They must go the old woman repeated a thousand times the past week. There was no more time to waste. The wedding was fast approaching, why weren’t they picking up their slack? From one calm woman who’d chanted for Namjoo to take it easy to a manic flying through an endless checklist, she could barely understand Sehun’s mother any more than he did.

Zipping their lips and snapping their mouths shut the two were merely going with the flow. Madam Oh had called one salon to the next searching for the perfect place that would provide the best of service, booking it, and leaving them to fulfill the rest. Get dressed. Get made up. Head on straight to the botanical garden where the professional photographer was waiting for them.

The studio reserved was a two-story complex. Rated 5 stars on the internet. Referred by Aunt Na luckily before Madam Oh reached her end’s wits and started pulling her beautiful luscious hair out.

Namjoo wanted night to fall already. Better yet if it stormed heavily so she wouldn’t have to do this.

“You can stand up now. There’s just one last finishing touch.” The bobbed hair stylist directed.

She spat and waved her arms around when the petite woman attempted to spray an entire bottle of perfume on her. “Ok! Ok! Enough! Stop it already!”

One after another her nerves were snapping. Regardless how beautiful they tried to make her it was all superficial. Namjoo’s eyes were bloodshot from lack of sleep. Irritated through and through.

Removing the black veil that protected her dress, the stylist finally backed away offering her space and time to soak in the magic of a thousand-dollar makeover. Expecting, perhaps, for Namjoo to shed tears gratefully or gape at the profound work done on her.

Namjoo all but glowered. Already in the wedding dress Madam Oh rented for her. She’d been so sleepy she was literally half conscious when they’d helped her put it on and chauffeured her to the salon. In such a bleary state, Namjoo couldn’t quite remember if Sehun had ridden the car with her or not.

Speaking of the devil, she instinctively caught sight of him standing the doorway. It didn’t hit her to wonder how long he’d been standing there. She just took note that he was already dressed, too. His hair was slicked to the side revealing a pretty forehead. Compared to her he was minimally touched up.

Unfair.

Snatching the lower end of the dress she headed toward him aware time was wasting and his mother wouldn’t forgive them for being late to an appointment. Not a strand in her hair moved while she briskly crossed the short corridor with him. “My hair is frozen.”

“It’ll just be a few hours.” He consoled.

“I hope this goes by fast.” She mumbled on the way out. Not even a quarter way to the doors and she deliriously called out, “Wait, wait, wait.”

Stopping with her he asked, “What?”

Snatching his arm, she yowled lifting a foot up, “My ankle. Let’s walk slowly.”

“I have coffee in the car.” He offered when they continued the short walk outside.

“It’s just going to make me go often. Do you have any idea how hard it is getting into and out of a wedding dress?” Dismissing his generosity Namjoo shot him a glare.

“It was a suggestion.” He calmly said holding the car door open for her. “I’ll tell the photographer we don’t need to go far for just a few pictures. Several steps into the park should be all right.”

She sighed relieved inside the car. Leaning into the seat, she breathed, “I’m already exhausted.”

“You don’t have to exaggerate.”

Namjoo scowled. “Says you who’s just wearing the same thing he wears to work every day.”

“I don’t.” Sehun defended.

Swiveling away she ignored his bout. Somewhere along the way she began nodding on and off. Morning traffic was blooming. Forced to often brake at red lights Namjoo dozed off when the house driver whose name she couldn’t memorize turned the radio on. Lullabied into a sweet dream she only woke up when her consciousness became aware there was no noise.

Straightening from her crooked posture Namjoo massaged her neck. Realizing the car was still in motion.

“Where are we?” she croaked.

“Almost there, mistress.” The driver replied.

Curiously leaning forward Namjoo spied needlepoint buildings in the distance, a clear sky, and blurs of the colorful cityscape. Sitting back Namjoo spun around to discover that Sehun was knocked out, too. His head angled so far to the right it looked broken, but she noticed how open his shoulder was. No need to ponder. That was where she’d slept.

Averting her eyes Namjoo felt something strike inside her chest. Scolding herself for falling asleep in a car ride.

Gluing her lips together she built up the courage to peep at Sehun again. Unaware of his surroundings while he slept. She felt kind of bad for his neck. It would really hurt when he woke.

Embarrassed Namjoo hurriedly stole a glance toward the front, assuring the driver was paying her no attention. Cautiously reaching her hands out she gently adjusted Sehun’s head. Doing it so slowly because she was afraid he’d wake up then she’d need to find a grave and bury herself.

Sehun neither budged nor woke. Namjoo succeeded in fixing his position, but a bump in the road caused his body to jerk forward. She let go of him to mull over the pain of her teeth abruptly gnashing. Coming to when she felt the weight of his head on the back of her shoulder.

Mentally cursing the driver Namjoo carefully shot a glance behind her in case Sehun was awake. Miraculously he was still out like the lights.

Further sitting back to offer him more comfort, Namjoo agonized over allowing him to sleep on her shoulder. Just once. Just this once she chanted to herself. She would be nice.

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

It was the smell tingling his senses awake. When Namjoo was no longer paying attention and sitting utterly still. Giving him the best of opportunity to sink into being this close.

Whatever floral perfume the stylist had used was alluring. Maybe he might have to thank his mom, too. For everything today.

Not only was Namjoo warm, but he was doing everything in his control not to gawk like an open idiot. At how the off-shoulder sleeves exposed her prominent collar bones or the silky skin of her shoulders. He was already trying not to press his nose into the edge of her shoulder. ert as she might say. Hearing her voice in his head dangerously caused him to laugh out loud. Sehun held it in enough just to break into a smile.

“Wow!” Namjoo exclaimed shifting forward.

Sehun’s head dropped forward so fast his neck strained. Pretend time was over. He needed to be up now.

Touching his nape, he straightened groaning in pain. The driver was currently searching for an empty parking spot. Behind the rows of cars, a gate with flower vines welcomed today’s visitors. The botanical garden that was in full bloom was this season’s hotspot. Poetic romance his mother would gleam.

Getting out of the car he held his hand out for Namjoo. She only took it because of the heels she was wearing. Firmly grasping her hand, he matched her slow gait to the front entrance where an older gentleman was waiting for them with a younger female assistant and their equipment. A quick introduction and they were on their way in.

As promised, they didn’t follow the crowd into the park. Stopping short of the entrance where grass spanned for miles. An arrangement of flowers was at least visible in their shot. Sehun ensured this to prove to his mother they did go to the botanical garden.

“Why don’t we go with the iconic back hug for the first shot?” The photographer asked positioning his tripod into place. “We want the pictures to come off as naturally as possible. Take your time and get comfortable.”

Left with time and instructions he and Namjoo awkwardly shuffled around each other. At one point she nearly stabbed his foot with the point of her heels.

“Ow!” he hissed.

“Sorry.” She whispered restlessly shifting back and forth.

Snatching an arm, he said so only she could hear, “Just…stay still.”

Settling, Namjoo stiffened in front of him. his suddenly dry lips he released her arm. The tip of Namjoo’s frozen hair tickled his nose drawing his attention down. The hairspray was exuberantly strong, but in the mix of that he recognized a whiff of the perfume. Again.

It was…really attracting. His head dipped lower to steal a better smell of her as his hand hovered past her waistline to back hug her. The scent jarred his heart uncontrollably. His fingers curled across her dress enamored.

As if sensing he’d gone out of character, Namjoo abruptly twisted around. “What are you doing?”

His lips pried open for some excuse, but the photographer interrupted, “Yes! That’s it! Hold it right there.”

As his voice counted down from three, Sehun searched her gaze. Surprisingly Namjoo obediently held on long enough for the camera shutters to click. Quickly stumbling away, she swiped at her waist like he’d done something indecent.

“What kind of funny thing did you just do?” Namjoo hoarsely whispered.

“I was just following the photographer’s orders.” Sehun rapidly shot urgently needing to cover for what he just experienced.

“Ok! Perfect!” The older man gestured with his pictures after double checking his camera for the shots. “Now, may I?”

Acting like they’d heard he came over pulling them together.

Hurrying back into position, the photographer removed the camera off the tripod explaining, “We’re going to do a close up shot, that means from shoulder and up. I’m going to take one of bride and groom sharing a loving look and another with a full body shot.”

“A what look?” Namjoo sputtered.

Touching her arm, he shifted her toward him. Warning in a low voice, “Just do as he says. Mom hired him. You don’t want him tattling to mom that we’re making it difficult out here, do you?”

“The guy’s crazy.” Namjoo uttered fitfully.

“Let’s get this over with. You want to get home as soon as possible, don’t you?” he recalled.

Lightly pouting she weighed what little options she had. Namjoo complained, “I want something nice for lunch and don’t order me around the rest of the day.”

“Are we ready?” the photographer shouted.

“Put your arms around me.” Sehun instructed.

“What?” Her voice rose in volume dangerously.

“Just do it.”

Namjoo hesitated. Through the corner of his eyes he saw her arms rising, pausing, continuing as if touching him was some kind of nuisance. And then her fingers brushed his shoulders. His insides tingled. Waking a corner of his heart. It pounced a little harder when her hands slid further beyond the hills of his shoulders until both arms were linked around his neck.

He could feel her body so closely. The heat of her. Staring into her huge eyes, see himself swimming in her pupils. The pretty lash extensions the stylist had glued above her lids creating a doll-like appearance.

It was the fragrance again. Tugging him under some lovestruck spell.

His hands rested at the small of her back. Securely holding her unaware of the seconds passing. His consciousness caused him to blink hastily when Namjoo pushed away. He caught the sound of her breathing abnormally.

“That was great!” the photographer complimented which neither of them heard. Too absorbed in the swirling atmosphere once more playing tricks on them. “Let’s aim for another headshot.”

“What?” Namjoo burst into objection. “But we already took so many photos.”

“Just do what he says.” Locking an arm around her waist he spun her around. “Let’s go home soon.”

A brow dug down her face, but at least she didn’t retaliate by attempting to push off. In the background the photographer went on directing them to be as natural as possible. Pretend he wasn’t there. Be comfortable.

Sehun’s heart pitter pattered again. Maybe Namjoo could also feel it because her demeanor shifted a bit. Something indescribable in her expression said she knew. The look in her uncertain eyes fluxed trying to look elsewhere. Swiftly cradling her face to prevent her escape he bent down skimming the barest of his lips over hers.

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

Slamming the mirror shut, Namjoo thrashed her arms around. She couldn’t believe what happened earlier! Wiping the smog off the mirror she stared at herself. Freshly changed after a long shower she gripped onto the bottle of floss in her hand intending to brush her teeth a million times before bed tonight.

A kiss that wasn’t really a kiss, but still!

“ert!” she shrieked at herself in the mirror. “Oh Sehun!”

Aggressively flossing her teeth, she went right onto brushing just as hard. Completing her nightly ritual, she made the trek to Sehun’s room. He was already lying down, seeming asleep. Running across the room, Namjoo jumped onto the bed on all fours jolting him awake.

He frowned then turned his back to her, muttering, “Close the door and turn off the lights.”

“Don’t pretend to sleep,” she egged him on. Namjoo stubbornly waited for him to do something, anything.

There was nothing.

Hissing under her breath, she muttered, “Fine.”

Climbing off the bed she closed the door and switched the lights off. Assuring the long pillow was in place she lay down. Could make out Sehun’s silhouette from her right.

He had a nice form, but didn’t all handsome men? Refusing to dwell on that Namjoo angled away. Out of sight out of mind. Still she recalled the fast thumping of his heart against her body. Sehun boldly wrapping his strong arms around her. Because the photographer wanted it that way, reason interjected. It would be strange if bride and groom posed stiffly for their wedding pictorials.

Lovebirds Sehun’s mother labeled them. Sure, whatever, Namjoo would live up to it if she got the pay.

Sehun most likely wanted to get out of there as soon as possible. Like her. Thank goodness she was now out of that dress and those heels. Her feet was still killing her right now. Namjoo just needed to make it through another day in the real wedding dress.

The mere thought of wearing it a whole day made her want to howl like a wolf.

Flipping her back to Sehun she curled up tiredly. When she awoke, she was alone. What felt like just an hour of sleep was actually a full nine hours. Sehun would be at work by now. Splaying flat onto the bed, Namjoo yanked the blanket over her head. She would sleep in then.

The rest of the day was spent lounging in front of the television lazily. Going through the channels, laughing when she found something hilarious, and yelling at an antagonist when a sitcom got too heated.

Early afternoon her phone rang. Aware who it was, Namjoo blindly picked up the phone and answered.

“Are you home or at the manor?” It was Sehun.

“And?” She intentionally asked without answering.

“Then come out.” He was the first to hang up.

“What the?” Pulling the phone away she grimaced as HUBBY faded into her wallpaper.

Namjoo didn’t bother to change on the way out. Curious to find out what Sehun wanted from her after yesterday’s long photoshoot. Her mentality was still worn out.

At the bottom of the steps Sehun was standing outside his yellow vehicle. Sighting her he rounded the car to the driver’s side. Frowning, Namjoo took the gesture to follow.

“Where are we going?” She questioned when he sped down the road.

“We’re having lunch.”

But she wasn’t even with his parents. Certainly, there was no requirement to put on an act today.

“Then you should have told me. I would have dressed into something appropriate.” Namjoo complained.

“Your lunch is in the backseat.”

Leaning over her chair she stared into the back. A grocery bag sat atop some blanket she’d never seen before. “Are you playing a trick on me?”

“We’re going on a picnic. Chill.” He assured. Indeed, he drove them to a nice spot by the river. Sehun did the honor of carrying everything including spreading out the blanket for them to sit on. He handed her a sandwich and a bottle of water.

“How casual of you.” She remarked taking a bite of the foil wrapped sandwich.

“Well, I thought we should do something before the wedding.” Sehun said.

Halfheartedly scoffing, Namjoo wondered, “Are you sick?”

“Have you talked to your mother?” The smart mouth changed the subject.

“She won’t look for me. I already told Moonbi to tell her not to worry,” Namjoo explained. Holding up a hand to pledge her allegiance, “Don’t worry. I haven’t told them where I am or what I’m doing.”

“I should be sorry your family can’t even come to the wedding.”

“Why?” Namjoo perked up. “It’s not even real.”

Slightly shifting to face her, Sehun told, “Close your eyes.”

Narrowing her eyes distrustfully, she asked, “Is this another one of your tricks? I’m already telling you, this is the cheapest lunch I’ve had in my life. This doesn’t include what I had in grade school when we visited German Village.”

“I promise it’s not a trick.”

Pointing a finger at him she warned, “Yesterday was bad enough. I still haven’t forgiven you.”

“Just close your eyes.” He repeated.

Giving him a face Namjoo did as told. Not half a second passed when Sehun touched her hand. Alarmed, Namjoo pulled her hand away but Sehun’s grip was firmer.

“I’m serious. Let go,” she commanded. Fired up that he was teasing her, making fun of her. Shutting up as she witnessed him slip the familiar opal ring onto her ring finger.

A kind of freeze wove through the air. Under pure sunlight the gems framing the opal shimmered magnificently, trapping her into a state of awe. Her heart quavered seeing the ring on her finger.

It fit perfectly this time.

“It’s yours,” Sehun told, his soft tone gliding in and out of her ears. “It’s a softer gemstone, so be careful with it.”

“But I thought it was for the wedding.” She gaped at him surprised.

“You can have the ring first, do what you wish with it,” Sehun informed, “on one condition.”

“You’re tricking me again.” She accused.

“You can’t ever sell the wedding ring.”


***Yeah, now she won't ever be able to get rid of the real wedding ring ;D