A Magnetic Force

Ace of Hearts

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

So uncomfortable, Namjoo couldn’t bear to look Sehun in the eyes. Gosh, why did his mom have to make him come?!

Uncomfortably giggling, Namjoo snatched the bottom portion of the dress, “I think it’s a bit too much. Let me change.”

“Oh, no, no, no,” his mother raced over. Grasping her arms, “It’s stunning! You must wear this! Don’t change yet.”

Words sputtered in but never made a sound like a malfunctioning machine when Sehun’s mother began shooting directions. Change into the light black tux they just found and come right back out, go, go, hurry your horses. In the blink of an eye a store clerk hustled him off to a fitting room.

“Mother, it’s too much.” Namjoo pleaded. “At least let me find something more conservative.”

Clicking her tongue, Madam Oh lightly sneered at her, “Come on now. You don’t have to be shy.” Turning to the employee with them, she cheerily asked, “Isn’t she just cute?”

“Yes, ma’am.” The clerk robotically agreed not forgetting to smile.

All Namjoo wanted to do was squirm away. So cheesy. So cringey.

“How much will it cost to rent the dress?” She continued inquiring.

“I’ll have to check the books,” the employee responded. “The original price range for this kind of dress about 1.5k. Let me double check. If you’d excuse me, I will be right back.”

Over one thousand! Namjoo struggled not to let her jaw drop in front of the elder woman. Mentally calculating at once how much she could sell the dress for after wearing it. In addition to the price of the wedding ring, she, her mother, and Moonbi just won the lottery!

Then on one hand, she literally said aloud, “We’re just renting?” because for a high-class family like the Oh’s to rent would make them cheap.

“We have the other dress prepared for the wedding,” his mother winked at her. “You’ll wear this for the wedding montage we’ll use the day of the wedding.”

“That’s too much.” Namjoo commented. Although it was not her money, she had no idea preparing for a wedding included so much work. The imagery of a long checklist was so exhausting. She was so over wedding dresses now. Once the ideal fantasy now just the next summer dress she saw in the display window.

“He is head over heels for you,” Madam Oh exuberantly exclaimed. Her cheeriness was too sky high.

“Yes, sure.” Namjoo’s grin came off too fake, but even if his mother caught it, she probably assumed she was being a tease.

God, she was tired. It was as if the woman had all her energy in one sitting.

“We’re going to surprise him with the actual wedding dress the day of the wedding. Imagine the way he’ll look when he sees how truly beautiful you are.” His mother excitedly chattered adjusting her hair off her exposed shoulder. “It’s the other one we tried that day, remember? We just need to complete the last fitting before it’s officially yours.”

Hurriedly tracing her memory Namjoo replayed the day Madam Oh caused her guts to twist from guilt. Now she was bone weary and also felt like doing this to an old woman and her husband. Strangling Sehun would probably never make her feel better.

“Oh, look! Here he comes.” Grabbing her arms again, the elder woman twisted her around so fast the lights blurred and the walls swirled past her. Namjoo’s head spun dizzily before settling on a looming figure.

Something tingled in her weirdly as Sehun strode over in a suave tux. His entire appearance somehow refined despite changing into another suit more formal than his business attire. Namjoo couldn’t pinpoint the difference in perspective, but he came off even more charming now.

Roving eyes up his long legs to his sturdy chest and broad shoulders, Namjoo suddenly became tense. His gaze swept over the room never really meeting hers, as if nervous. Turning queasy Namjoo immediately looked away when he approached.

She couldn’t do this!

Feeling stuffy, she cleared . This was strange and unprecedented. Anxiety walloped through her. Literally sensing the heat waves pouring off his stature in front of her. Go away she thought. Instead Namjoo gulped. She was even sweating a little. It was the dress. It had to be.

Her innards shrieked when their eyes abruptly locked. Curiously taking a peek of each other like some magnetic force had made them take a fast look at the same time. Panicking, Namjoo focused on the hard-blue walls while her heart drummed erratically.

“Now, let me look at you two.” Madam Oh disrupted the tangible silence quaking her nerves. Shifting them into positions like they were her mannequins, she positioned them next to each other, took a step back, and nodded satisfied. Becoming squeamish as their arms brushed, Namjoo tightly gripped the lower half of her dress.

“Just look at you two lovebirds,” she cooed.

In that moment Namjoo’s self-consciousness flurried out the window.

On the way home, she did nothing but stare out the window still hot neck down. Even after changing Namjoo never felt more exposed than she just did five minutes ago. More embarrassed today than ever. Having not come to terms with what actually dispersed through the air at the wedding store. She didn’t want to think about it yet it hung over her head and she replayed everything all over from point one to point three.

Her gaze wavered toward the front seat just a bit before looking out the window again. Weird, weird, weird.

She was the first to step out of the car and hurry up the stairs when they reached home. Could hear Sehun’s mother commenting maybe she needed to use the bathroom as she rushed off.

She did go into the bathroom. Except the first thing she did was jump into the shower for a long wash. Trying to cleanse her mind as water rained over her. It didn’t work. As soon as her eyes closed, she saw the image of Sehun walking out of the fitting room, his long form crossing the space between them.

Tall. Handsome. The tux form fitting.

His face was even clearer than day.

Grunting frustrated Namjoo slammed the shower off. Hastily shoving the shower curtain aside, she stepped out and wrapped a towel around herself. Grumbling she stomped into Sehun’s bedroom ignoring him as she trekked into the walk-in closet for fresh clothes. Once finished she slid the door open to find him still planted at the foot of the bed. Again, his eyes didn’t quite meet hers. Uneasiness struck her nerves.

He spoke first. Thank God.

“What’s that?” he asked standing to make the long pillow on the bed visible.

“It’s a pillow.” She answered the obvious.

“Why?” he pressed now eyeing her.

Namjoo explained, “To make clear whose side of the bed is whose.” Stretching her arm out she pointed with a finger, “This is my side, that’s your side.”

She expected some kind of comeback that would, hopefully, return all things to normal, but Sehun plainly gave her a look, maybe a glare but not really one. It lingered then he spun on a foot and left.

Blank, Namjoo zoomed in on the long pillow. Following the path to the door Sehun had just gone through. Puzzled about what just occurred.

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

A hard smack to the face woke Sehun up. Gasping and grunting from the sudden shock, covering his face Sehun lifted his head up. A weight slipped off his cheek landing on his pillow. Rolling onto her side Namjoo sleepily smacked her lips, her hand unmoving.

The stupid long pillow served no purpose to protect him from her or her from him. The thing had more than half been shoved over on his side of the bed Namjoo had so diligently marked for him. Plus, she had crossed over, too. Gently folding her arm over the long pillow, he lay back down. God, his face still hurt.

Who knew what time it was in the middle of the night? Suddenly he was wide awake. Earlier dinner had been spent unspoken. When he stepped out after his wash Namjoo was already in bed. Sehun hadn’t bothered to ask if she was asleep or pretending. Then the day ended like that.

He foresaw a tiring day later. Since the wedding store he could feel a shift change between them. Could be it was his own imagination. Glancing over he saw Namjoo comfortably sleeping unbothered by his presence.

She didn’t care at all.

Flipping and turning to her heart’s content, coveting his area of the bed even in sleep regardless of her protest about sharing a bed, a room. Honestly, he didn’t really care about possessing this side of the bed or not.

At least while knocked out she came off more peaceful. Giving him a better, longer chance of looking. Shifting onto his side he watched her dream whatever it was that was going on in her head. The tranquil silence washed over him. Seconds ticked transitioning into minutes. He adjusted the blanket over her, pulled the long pillow up in case she woke up and threw a fit about their territories.

Though disappointed she thought he might try something funny while she slept, he understood where her insecurity lay. He didn’t plan on holding anything against her distrust.

Turning away from her he brushed off yesterday’s problems. At the of dawn Sehun woke first. He was halfway through his second cup of coffee when the cook woke up to start breakfast. Namjoo woke up a little later.

“If you’re bored later, go visit my parents and spend time with them,” Sehun suggested during breakfast.

“Well…we’ll see how I feel.” Namjoo replied picking at her food not sparing him a glance once.

“Finish the rest,” he pushed the center dish toward her. Getting up he finished, “I have something to do this morning, so I’m leaving early.”

In case she wanted to add something, he waited a beat. Offering nothing Namjoo busied on her food raising her head when she sensed him still there. “What?”

“Nothing.” Pivoting he left the manor and drove off.

The rest of the morning breezed by smoothly. Phone calls here. An hour long meeting. Emails needed catching up. Instinctively glancing at the clock on his computer when it was almost noon. His hand magnetically reached for his phone before the demand even reached his brain.

There was no telling what Namjoo might be up to; how bored she was at home or whether she was still up to the same rituals. He’d put her laptop in his room along with his baby picture for her to laugh at

Sehun listened to the tone ring for an extended time. She wasn’t picking up. He about lowered the phone to hang up when the phone clicked and he heard some noise on the other side.

Someone took a breath before answering, “Hello?”

Not Namjoo.

“Who is this?” A hint of confusion stirred his voice.

The quiet dragged. Then, “Sehun?”

He asked more sternly, “Who am I talking to?”

“It’s me, Hyena!” The female chirped. “Why, I would never have guessed it was you calling. Namjoo really does quite have some humor.”

Irked, he demanded more than asked, “Where is she?”

“Oh, well, she’s caught up in something right now, so I have her phone.” Hyena perkily replied. “Aren’t you at work right now? Are you on lunch break? What are you having, I’m…”

Hanging up he snatched his blazer off the back of his chair and headed out wondering what in the world Namjoo was so caught up in that that girl had her phone. Swerving toward the manor he urgently climbed up the steps and pushed his way through the dome doors intent on figuring out what was going on. Hyena better not be inside his house and Namjoo better not have welcomed her inside.

Sehun stopped dead in his tracks upon hearing voices. Backtracking he stretched his neck out and stared into a sun room. Behind a tall rustic table his mother was arranging vases with Namjoo. On the table lay a hundred dozen flowers in bunches. At their feet sat a giant box containing buckets of more flowers.

The women hardly took notice of him peeping inside from the hall. Looks like he had worried for naught. Namjoo wasn’t even at his house. She was with his mother learning one of her flower arrangement hobbies.

Relief passed through him in the waves. Closely observing Namjoo he saw she didn’t look as bored as he feared she might be. Today her hair was knotted into an unkempt bun. Several short strands trickled over the low of her nape. She was wearing casual sleek pants with a t-shirt tucked in. Something meant for lounging around in his home, which she planned on doing before his mother called her over, he assumed.

He caught the small curve of her neck along with the nod of her head to express she understood whatever his mother was saying. Following was a share of giggles that sprung a smile onto his face. The scenery of Namjoo with his mother was a warm picture. The daughter-in-law appeared sincere about his mom.

A tap on his shoulder interrupted his viewing. Hyena sweetly smiled at him. “Did you come to see me?”

For a good minute he’d forgotten she was here. The first thing he did was spot the phone he’d bought for Namjoo in the clutch of her manicured hands.

“Give me the phone.” He ordered.

Fondly grasping his arm, she bargained, “If you haven’t eaten, let’s go somewhere then you can have the phone.”

“Sehun?” His father called out just entering the sun room from an intersecting lounge area. A silver bowl in his hand contained fresh tangerines most likely for his cherished daughter-in-law.

Setting the bowl at the edge of the table near his wife, he questioned, “What are you doing home so early?”

Both his mom and Namjoo were staring at him. Unlike the other grinning expectantly Namjoo placidly watched. Her no reaction was the most reaction received from her. Overly conscious he removed Hyena’s hand.

Plucking the phone from her he stepped forward and away from her. Make himself more visible. “I came to take Namjoo to lunch.”

“What?” She frowned.

Zooming in on her, he slightly arched his brows egging her to play along, “We have a date, remember?”

Her brows burrowed deeper down her face clearly missing the signal. Coming around the table he grabbed her hand being extra enough to show his mom how happy he was.

Witnessing his proactive act, his old man throatily laughed. Delighted at seeing the display of affection. “Go on then. Don’t let us hold you back.” To Namjoo, “Eat lots. Have a nice date.”

“Yes, go on. Don’t worry about here,” his mother urged them on. Her expression said it all: enjoy the time alone, we shan’t hold you back.

Deeply shaking his head Sehun grinned.

Namjoo thwarted, “I’m not…”

Glancing behind him, his mom cut her off as if she hadn’t heard, “Hyena, why don’t you come keep me company?”

“But…” Hyena hopelessly tried bearing longing eyes seeking him out.

“Bye, Hyena.” Sehun quickly said as he passed pulling Namjoo with him. He wasn’t about to give her a chance to object.

“You liar,” Namjoo accused outside. Halfway down the stairs she yanked her hand away. He let her seethe the rest of the way.

Inside his car he whipped out his phone. Dialing Namjoo’s number to see akakjlll! flash on the screen. Sehun scoffed flabbergasted.

“Why is this me?” Flipping her phone around to show her the screen.

Namjoo swiped her hand out for her phone. Sehun reflexively pulled it away speedily. “Why do you have my phone?”

Going into her settings he adjusted his caller ID. “For purposes in the future, don’t change it again.”

Namjoo inaudibly gasped when he gave her the phone with his name displayed HUBBY followed by a heart emoticon. “Hey! I swear…”

To shut her up he shoved his phone into her face. Namjoo stared at Wifey disgusted. “Do you want my parents to catch you calling me…that?”

“Why would your parents look at my phone?” Namjoo retorted.

“But Hyena did.” Sehun argued.

Clamping shut, Namjoo slid down her seat pouting. “So? What’s she going to do? Tattle on me to your parents that I called you something funny? You two were,” she made a show of hugging herself, running hands up and down her arms intimately, “all over each other back there anyway.”

“We weren’t!” The tone of his voice rose in denial. “I didn’t even touch her.”

Namjoo leaned into the door surprised by his outburst. “Calm down. You don’t need to get so riled up. I was joking.”

Regardless his heart was pattering faster than normal. Upset at her accusation because he had not laid a hand on Hyena with any hidden motive.

“I don’t like her. I already told you that.” Sehun gruffly reminded.

“All right. Ok.” Palming her hands out she gave up.

“Put on your seatbelt.” Starting the engine, he drove off. A minute down the road and he could hotly sense her stare. “What?”

“Why’d you come? Bored at work?” Namjoo wondered. “Last time you made a big deal about how much you have to do and never to be called out, so what’s with the show?”

He inhaled prepared to spout some kind of excuse. Unnerved he adjusted his grip on the steering wheel, excusing, “We should at least do this every so often, so mom and dad believes we’re real. If I don’t at least treat you here and there they would doubt our relationship.”

Namjoo scoffed a loud sound. “Then you should have told me beforehand. Father was about to prepare a whole menu of beef for me.”

“How childish,” he murmured. Yet his eyes discreetly skittered in her direction.

That night a mental clock woke him up. Through the dark he turned to find Namjoo comfortably curled up next to him. The long pillow had slid low enough for him to make out her features. In spite of the blockage, he listened to the even of her breathing.

Uncaring. Unbothered, but still next to him.


***Him and his lies ha and his name is back to hubby on her phone but in big letters xD