Make it Official

Ace of Hearts

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

The wedding will be small his parents promised. Nothing big.

But Sehun had visited two adjoining ballrooms. One for the main event, the other for dining and partying.

On visiting a huge classic grand piano sat at the right back. A majestic deep red carpet had been rolled out throughout the center, where Namjoo would be walking and he waiting at the end for her. The officiator, a long-time pal of his father’s Sehun had no idea existed, would be standing with him.

No groomsmen. No bridesmaid.

Because it was supposed to be small scale.

Didn’t come off that way to Sehun, but of course, he had no say because mom and dad prepared everything. From flowers to the buffet right down to the décor. Deep blue table clothes with a glowing romantic lantern at the center. Rose petals spread over every table. The parents would sit at the forefront on plushy club chairs, the most exquisite, expensive type.

A huge chandelier lit up the room powerfully. That would be dimmed low enough to allow the lanterns to glow as Namjoo came down the aisle.

“Isn’t that going to be such a lovely sight?” His mother dreamily exclaimed to him.

On the other hand, Namjoo dragged and shuffled her feet throughout his home. Telling him her fingers hurt after an hour at the nail salon. For the event mom had decided acrylic nails was the best.

Then one day she’d gone for a full body massage. He’d come home to find her dead asleep on the couch and wide awake at night. The screen on her phone had blared throughout his sleep he’d dug his head under his pillow. The following day he’d yawned a hundred times in a meeting.

The few weeks before the wedding, Namjoo had been chauffeured to a dermatologist, gotten hair treatment, and the worst of it; his mother had taken her to get waxed. Though Namjoo did not share the details with him, her fuming silence spoke the details of her feelings. Sehun had been smart enough not to say anything to her.

It had been hell at home with the whiner, but at times when he caught her staring at the ring on her finger his agitation disappeared. Knowing Namjoo liked the ring elated him.

She’d worn it while getting her nails done. She’d worn it while complaining about the oddity of her fingernails. To the salon. To the dermatologist. During her hair treatment. As she got her massage. And when she stood in the walk-in closet in front of her clothes, holding her hand up to the light, watching the light reflect on the opal and gems. He’d seen the twinkle in her eyes, the glimmer of a smile on her face.

Yes, he knew she liked the ring. And she still hadn’t sold it on the market.

Not yet.

“There, perfect.” Smoothing out the lapel of his tux his father gave his chest a pat. Stepping back, the elder man’s eyes glistened.

Tears, maybe.

“Dad,” Sehun said somewhat stunned stupid.

In his entire life he’d never witnessed his father so touched. It was just a wedding. No big deal.

“I’m so proud of you,” his father touched his arm. “Today’s your day.”

Smiling, the old man nodded somehow appearing more fragile in age than before. Guilt swarmed him settling at the depth of his stomach. Sehun suddenly didn’t feel so good.

He’d started the day with an open mind. Being driven to the hotel to get ready bright and early. Namjoo had woken up with deep sighs but saying nothing. Except in front of their parents both came off bright and cheery. So excited for the day.

Then they were separated to each their rooms to get dressed.

Two hours he’d been in this reserved room. The bed untouched, but his bag of clothes sat on it messily. Later it would be collected and brought home. He wasn’t sure when, but his parents had arranged everything. As they’d often repeated, “Don’t worry about anything. We’ve got it taken care of.”

And he and Namjoo were left to trust them.

So, here they were. About to get married in a few.

A cloudy mix of emotions whirled through him. Felt like just yesterday when Namjoo had driven him home drunk. Time had flown by so fast sweeping him off his feet into the present.

“Your mother and I are so lucky to have you as our son,” his father sniffed, “and now we have a beautiful daughter-in-law and a grandchild on the way.”

That…

“You probably don’t need me to say it, but marriage is full of obstacles. You’ve been sharing a house, but truly becoming a family now will not be the same. There will be a lot of hard times, but be patient. Namjoo is still young, but your mother and I are still here. Come to us anytime.”

He tried smiling and nodded.

Already well aware living with another person in his house was not as easy as it sounded. The difference in his and Namjoo’s personalities had already sparked the most out of their so-called relationship. Making it work till now had to be some kind of miracle that they’d pulled off his lie this far.

Money, he thought, it was the money or else he’d be ruined long ago.

A knock on the door interrupted his father’s counseling session. The officiator, a graying man, poked his head inside informing, “It is time. Please come out.”

His father grinned at him gesturing for him to follow.

The ballroom was draped in a sleek navy tone color with hues of pastel flowers bordering the walls. The lanterns on the tables glowed weakly but romantically around the center aisle. Relatives and hired fakes filled the room. A research online and Sehun had discovered a stunt group he’d contacted for a few thousand. Here they were, Namjoo’s mom and dad along with village friends to be gone forever after the wedding.

Sehun didn’t feel so tall himself as he made the trek to the back of the room. The officiator wore a deep black suit to fulfill his duty today. In his hands a tiny bible. Sehun shared an awkward smile with the man before turning to face the front.

The of a piano key thrummed. In sequence the lights dimmed filling the room with a hush. Sehun searched the seated heads darting his eyes toward the double doors slowly opening as the melody continued. He actually gulped pressing his lips together when Namjoo made her appearance for the first time since his mother led her away that morning.

A thud of his heart when she took a step forward. In the dark she sought the room uneasily, somewhat thrilled. It may be a pretense between them, but he couldn’t hold at bay the anticipation building up inside him.

His heart quivered. Even his hands almost trembled, unable to see anything else but Namjoo in a wedding dress he’d not seen before. The moment was so profound, breathtaking. It felt as if he was in a fantasy-like dream. Up in the clouds with no desire to land.

Sehun tried to telepathically call her eyes back onto him when they started wavering to the right, to the left, up and down. The room may be dim, the lanterns a little weak, but Namjoo was an even brighter light coming to him. A star floating amidst a midnight sky.

A thousand words couldn’t fill up the silence between them when Namjoo reached him. A smile spread on his lips growing wider until his teeth showed. His heart was racing. The bliss a butterfly beating there behind his ribs.

No longer listening to the officiant. Instead the moment stretched recording the seconds Namjoo stayed by his side. Cuddling nearby when she slept closely to the long pillow. Close enough for him to make out her lovely face when he woke in the middle of the night. Fix the blanket. Brush stray hair off her face. Sinking in the sight of her sleeping on his bed when he woke first.

It felt like the end wasn’t so near whenever Namjoo nitpicked about the food, received his mother’s affectionate treatments, or how bored she was in his home. Always having something to rattle off when he came home.

And it wasn’t quiet anymore. He didn’t meaninglessly peek into the guest room, at dead flowers, or reimagine Namjoo chuckling at his baby picture. His house was boisterous and lively.

The piano music transitioned sweetly. On cue, a little cousin his mother had designated as the ring bearer came down the aisle carrying a velvety black tray. Namjoo’s new diamond ring was nestled next to his.

Today he officially slipped it over her bare finger. Yesterday Namjoo had regretfully removed the opal ring tucking it securely in a drawer at home. Quick to claim, “I’m going to put it back on as soon as we come home.”

Maybe she wouldn’t now.

Per ritual Namjoo picked up his ring and put it on his finger officially making him her husband.

Next came his, “I do.” and her, “I do.”

A huge cloud of relief engulfed him. Strictly seeing no one else but his wife. Enchantingly beautiful in her wedding gown. In front of him. Sharing the day that marked their union.

“You may kiss the bride.”

The piano quieted, the last note humming before fading. A mellow yet sweet tune took over, filling the entire room as everyone waited.

Neither had really spoken in detail about the wedding. What would happen once the officiant completed his duty. Exchanging rings would be the last of it. They’d skip right onto the buffet and celebration.

Except Sehun leaned right in fully taking her upper lip into his mouth.

The room burst into cheer. A frown threatened to increase on her face as he withdrew. At least not far enough for anyone near the front to notice. Sehun also didn’t allow her the chance to express her dismay as he turned and hooked an arm around her waist, smiling at their family.

His parents came up. Namjoo’s fake parents and friends. Sharing their happiness, words of congratulations, and continuous wisdom. Then they followed his parents into the adjoining room to commune the rest of the wedding.

“You know I’m literally biting my teeth here to keep quiet,” Namjoo whispered to him.

“Don’t forget to look joyous,” he said, “we’re in public right now.”

“Sehun!” Pushing through the crowd Hwayi came up to them. His mischievous eyes glanced at Namjoo back to him. “Congratulations, man!”

“Yes, thanks.” He took the words a little too stiffly.

“I brought a guest. You want to meet her?” Hwayi beamed.

Sehun arched his brows not really anticipating. Slightly turning Hwayi slyly grinned. Like a blur solidifying during a fog, Suh Jin crossed the yard to him and Namjoo. The floor beneath his feet literally opened dispelling the apathetic interest.

“Sehun,” she greeted. Hesitant eyes slid over to Namjoo.

Compressing his lips, he realized he’d forgotten about her. During this time with Namjoo he’d not spared her a thought. The girlfriend whom he’d wasted two years for. The girlfriend whose heart changed while abroad, wavering for another.

Reminiscing catching her at their usual dating spot with someone else. Her disloyalty had spurred him into a dead end. Toward Namjoo.

But…he wasn’t very angry.

Or sad about the cheating.

Strangely.

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

“This is my wife, Namjoo,” Sehun’s voice found itself. “Namjoo this is Jin.”

Namjoo tried not to arch a brow. For a minute there she thought she’d have to go to his pitiful rescue.

Grinning, Namjoo extended a hand toward the long-haired beauty, “Hi! So, you’re Jin! I’m so glad to meet you.”

Sehun’s ex’s cool glazed eyes passed over her then to him. Awkward she withdrew her hand.

“There are drinks and food at the wall table. Feel free to help yourself,” Sehun excused. “We need to find my parents before sitting.”

He wheeled her away parading her through the room like a trophy. An aunt, a distant uncle, some elder cousin pulled them off to the side to chat. A little girl also trampled over the train of her dress nearly toppling her over.

Wriggling, she breathed, trying to remove the arm around her waist, “Can you stop holding me? It’s not like I’m going to run off.”

“Just doing my part.” Sehun smartly countered.

She scowled at him hurriedly spinning forward when some woman she’d never seen before tapped her shoulder. For five long minutes they talked about child rearing and how many more they would be having. What bundles of sweet joy, their children would be so beautiful. All should have have her eyes, his slender cheeks, blah blah blah.

Sehun was lucky she’d found nice low heels or else her feet would have sent her temper soaring.

“I’m just enjoying myself so much,” she huffed at their table. Finally making it to a chair after 45 minutes of meet and greet.

Quickly snatching the plate Sehun had filled for her she began stuffing herself. She pushed his hand away when he dabbed the corner of her lips with a napkin.

“What?” She asked annoyed.

“You eat so messy. Slow down.” He said.

Wiping with the back of her hand she sneered at him. As if kissing her wasn’t enough already. She could still feel the warmth of his mouth. His saliva that had lingered on her lip. She had struggled so hard not to screech from disgust.

Wasn’t he taking this too far?!

Namjoo ate more aggressively choking shocked when Aunt Na arrived at their table carrying a cute gift bag. Her cheeks puffed up abruptly before swallowing.

“I just had to show you. Oh, these are so adorable!” The woman squealed as Namjoo made another choking noise.

Sehun turned to her frowning.

Of course, it wasn’t like she was being disrespectable on purpose. The damn food had gone down the wrong tube! She was choking!

Namjoo pounding her chest. Apparently so stuffy now. The food refused to go down. Just clogged there in her chest like it was expanding. Her ribs hurt.

Namjoo pounded her chest with a fist. Aunt Na too engrossed in showing her an infant onesie totally unaware.

And then she heaved so loudly the relatives at the next table twisted around in their seats. Namjoo made another loud gagging noise attracting much more attention. Covering , she shot out of the chair and raced out of the ballroom.

The food was coming up, the food was coming up, the food was coming up!

A group of women staggered backwards as she ran past, panicking. She couldn’t get the dress dirty. How would she wash out the stain? If it was dirty how would she sell it later?

Pushing past another woman in the doorway of the bathroom, Namjoo ran over to a stall, bent over and vomited. Relieved, she flushed the toilet not noticing the woman in the doorway. Shuffling over to the sink she a faucet and soaped up her hands.

It was only when she turned to head to the towel dispenser that she noticed Suh Jin. Realizing she’d pushed her earlier, Namjoo smiled through embarrassment.

“Uh…hi. We meet again.” Namjoo stalked over to get a paper towel.

When the woman didn’t leave, Namjoo anxiously peered her direction. How weird this was for her. She really didn’t expect to come face to face with Sehun’s ex.

“It doesn’t seem like Sehun to impulsively get married,” Jin said, “so you’re really pregnant.”

“Huh?!” Dropped from .

It ticked suddenly. No one knew she was choking. They all assumed the baby was making her unwell.

Kind of laughing, Namjoo shook her hand, “No, no. I think you’re mistaken. It might look like we got married, but we’re not really married.”

Jin’s almost sad expression lightened. Just a teeny bit. Confused, she asked, “Excuse me?”

“What I mean is…” Namjoo started but a knock on the door cut her off. The door opened a crack, stilled, and then caked open wider.

“Are you ok in there?” Sehun stepped into the doorway halting immediately when he saw she wasn’t alone.

The atmosphere tensed ambiguously.

An injured boyfriend meeting the woman he so loved again; however, this wasn’t Namjoo’s territory.

“Look! He’s here,” Namjoo burst their bubble. Clamping her hands together, “Now, if you’ll just excuse me…”

Namjoo attempted to shuffle past, squeeze through what little space under Sehun’s arm, and outside. Leave the couple to reunite.

Except, Sehun grabbed her arm and wheeled around urging her with him.