Person like Me

Ace of Hearts

Sehun gulped.

“What’s so interesting?” Namjoo strode over with a small plate of beef bits given by his father.

“Guy talk.” Comfortably leaning into his chair Hwayi wrapped an arm around the back of it. Tilting his head, he peered up at her, “Can I have a bite?”

“Ask your father.” Namjoo twisted her body away to protect the plate. “I’m not supposed to share this.”

Hwayi scoffed. “You’re greedy.” His eyes flew over to Sehun really quick then connivingly said, “Just the way I know you are.”

Grunting as he got up, he departed from them to join the elder men.

Moving into his chair, Namjoo wondered, “What were you two talking about? Looked so intense.” Crossing her legs, she joked, “Gossiping about me?” Noticing the nervousness on his face, she worried, “What?”

“Exactly how well do you know him?” Sehun warily asked looking over her shoulder.

“Haven’t I answered that already?”

Eyes landing on her he said, “Yea, well, I’m not exactly exuding jealousy right now, so when I say to be careful just listen to me.”

His tone was so serious Namjoo found it hard to again. Glancing over at the men she observed Hwayi who seemed the ever mischievous guy he always was.

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

Shortly after stuffing their faces with breakfast the entire family finally ventured into the woods. The foliage had grown thickly now that it was warmer. Bugs and flies swarmed the moist thicket of trees. Squirrels scurried up one branch to another hiding from the humans encroaching their territory. Through the gaps of leaves the sunshine sprinkled over their heads. In his hand Namjoo firmly twined her fingers through his, the other stretched out to brush random leaves hanging overhead.

“Watch out for the tree root.” Too late. Namjoo barely managed to keep her footing as her foot caught and nearly did a cartwheel.

“Keep your eyes out, will you?” Sehun clicked his tongue catching her elbow.

The grassy lane curled through the woods, leading straight to the manmade pond on his father’s estate. There was absolutely no reason for anyone to get lost here, but with clumsy Namjoo he couldn’t be so sure.

Dropping her hand by her side she pouted. “The shade is nice here.” Skimming his lower arm, she said, “Let’s walk slower.”

“We’re already far behind.” He noted. The elders and Hwayi were too far ahead it’d take a sprint to catch up. Sehun was too certain none of them cared about the newlyweds.

“It’s nice to be outside.”

“I’m bearing with it only for you.” He said.

“Lighten up.” Scratching him under the chin she giggled. “Your father said he’ll catch me a fish to eat.”

“Spoiled.” He muttered but happily. “Eat a lot.” He rubbed her belly, “You need to support your body for the baby.”

The smile inched across her face shyly. Laughing under his breath he kissed her head.

They reached the others a little late. His father and Uncle Na were already preparing to cast their lures. The women had spread out a blanket to sit, chat, and wait while the men enjoyed their activity. Hwayi was off to the side already fishing.

“You’re here?” his father called out gesturing for them to go over. Letting go of his hand Namjoo went first. He followed.

“How was the walk?”

“I enjoyed it.” Namjoo ecstatically exclaimed. “I liked being in the shade.”

The old man chuckled humored. “We won’t be too long.”

Namjoo let out a loud exclamation when Uncle Na flung out his lure perfectly in one strong .

“Look at that!” his father applauded. “Have you fished before?”

Namjoo shook her head.

“Why don’t you try?” his father offered.

Gladly taking the rod from him Namjoo questionably gripped it unsure what the next move was. Sehun stood back witnessing as his father taught her to cast the rod. Affectionately patting her back and encouraging her. The picture of them together radiated pure bliss.

Namjoo’s carefreeness constantly brought out the joy in many people around her. Maybe at the beginning she had acted out of character on several occasions, but his parents always managed to look past that. Indeed, they were loving people and perhaps Namjoo was more than a gift in their lives.

How lucky they were to have met her.

The fire crackled that evening after they finished roasting the fish and eating. Sun was setting. The sky was streaked in colorful colors of pinks and blues. They were taking turns washing up at the nearby guesthouse. A ten-minute-long trek back and forth.

Hwayi had been first to go. His parents. Then Sehun’s. They had offered to go last.

“Isn’t it strange to be camping when there’s a house right next door?” Namjoo asked.

“It’s to spend time outdoors.” Sehun told. “Gotta make use of father’s land somehow.”

Scoffing she said, “I can’t understand this concept of you people.”

“Then next year let’s not do it.”

Namjoo lightly slapped his chest. “If your family wants to spend time together then you shouldn’t skip out.”

“It’s exactly what you said.” He remarked.

“Eh, eh, eh,” Hwayi clucked his tongue coming to join them by the fire. “Is this flirting I see?”

“Yes, so leave.” Sehun stiffly replied.

Hwayi cackled lightheartedly. “I understand it’s something my sister-in-law is a pro at, but I’m surprise you have a knack for it, brother.”

“Cut it out.” Sehun snapped. “Don’t talk about my wife that way.”

Shrugging, Hwayi glanced at Namjoo and it wasn’t the shadow of the fire bouncing off his face. Sehun detected some kind of glint. “But it’s how we know each other, right, Namjoo?”

She lightly gasped shifting in her seat uncomfortably. About to say something before his parents interrupted, “That was refreshing! Why don’t you two go wash up now?”

Grabbing Namjoo’s hand Sehun pulled her up from the chair. Oncoming darkness seemed to deepen the further they went. Entering the guesthouse, they wound through the hallway to the first-floor bathroom. Distress curled through his chest as they unclothed and climbed into the shower together.

Smoothing out the frown on his face, Namjoo said, “Don’t let him bother you, Sehun.”

“I just don’t like him.” Sehun huffed. “There's something about him that twists my guts.”

“We never had a thing if you’re worried.” Namjoo comforted.

“It’s not that.” He declared. Softening when he looked at her. “I’m scared he’s going to tattle on you.”

Skimming her thumb across the corner of his lips, she said, “Isn’t that why we’re having a baby?”

He grinned a bit delighted at the reminder. “What if he knows you’re not pregnant. Yet?”

“He doesn’t know.” Namjoo assured. “No one knows.”

Shower water pelted his back as he hugged her. Trying to appease his heart of that one certainty. His one big lie that was growing and growing by the day.

Leaning into his shoulder Namjoo embraced him.

“I love you.”

“I love you, too.”

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

Orange-red flames the damp firewood furiously. Namjoo listened to it crackle and hiss as she poured more oil to keep the fire going strong. It was unbelievably cold outside despite the warm weather.

Coming over Sehun wrapped a fleece blanket over her shoulders. Sharing it with her as he sat on the chair beside her.

“We should have just gone to sleep.” He said. “Cuddling will warm us up than being out here.”

“But it’s pretty.” Setting the oil canister down at her feet Namjoo hugged herself.

“Come closer.” Sehun tugged her arm urging her nearer so their arms brushed.

“The stars are out.” Namjoo pointed up the black tinted sky. “There’s the big dipper.”

Sehun’s mouth widened as she connected one star to the other.

“Right?” she asked.

Pinching her cheek, he teased, “How are you so smart?”

Giggling she said, “I just want to stargaze with you. Now that we’re alone and everybody’s asleep.”

Peering into her eyes he grinned, sharing the exact same sentiment. Namjoo parted when they kissed. And then some more. Savoring the warmth of his mouth. His tongue. Him.

Biting her lower lip trying not to laugh to loudly Namjoo settled her head on his shoulder as they soaked in the rest of the romantic night under one sky, alone.

Early morning despite the noises of meat sizzling and low voices, Namjoo remained asleep cuddling with Sehun on their air bed, feeling the sturdiness of his body in her arms. And she was happy.

She was so happy to be with him.

They spent another uneventful day with the family outdoors. Then they saw Aunt Na and her family off. Sent Hwayi away waving energetically. No more of him and back to their lives. Just the two of them.

After the first day back at work Sehun rushed home. Snatching her from the kitchen and carrying her upstairs. Yelping when he dropped her on the bed and giggling when he nibbled her neck.

“What are you doing?”

“What we do best.” He began ing his shirt.

“Now?” she frowned quizzically. “I thought we were going to wait.”

He cut her sentence off with a heated kiss. His shirt was half undone allowing her a glimpse of the skin beneath. She gasped when he shimmied the hem of her dress up her thighs, rising up a tiny fraction to let him draw it further above her hips.

“For extra measure. You know.” He explained. “We can’t have a hit or miss.”

She laughed. “How many more times are you going to use that as an excuse?”

Clamping his mouth over her upper neck he hotly breathed across her skin sensually. “I’ll buy you a test next week.”

Sighing a moan Namjoo’s fingers traced his hips and lower to begin tugging his pants off. “Ok.”

They spent the rest of the late afternoon tangled in each other. Showering a little late and going downstairs to find a cold dinner waiting for them.

Over the following days Namjoo observed herself in the mirror. Wondering when and if their efforts would start to pay off. Picturing a mini-me running around made her giggle endlessly. Sehun would have to deal with his own if their child ended up a stubborn bullhead like him.

A knock on the door had her spinning around. It was one of the housekeepers.

“You’ve been called to the manor.”

An hour before Sehun came home. He could meet up with her there and they could come home together. It rarely happened, but a change today would be nice.

Changing, Namjoo stepped out. Her heart was light and full of curiosity about the baby who may be forming inside her body this moment. A part of her was highly confident that she wouldn’t disappoint Sehun. They would be having a baby. The test would confirm it in a few days. Afterall, he had really made certain of it previously.

Expecting to find Sehun’s parents waiting for her with a bowl of tangerines or a cup of tea, Namjoo rounded the corner in a jolly mood. She was ready to joke around with them. Make light of the day, but someone else was joining the company today.

Freezing in the doorway, the word dropped from her lips without thought, “Mom?”

The petite woman had risen from the velvety three-seated couch. A mass of curly hair abundant around her hair. She was wearing the popular pink headband with rabbit ears worn normally when focusing on bills at home. The scrubby-do she called it.

Identical eyes widened at the sight of her. “Namjoo?”

“So, it looks like you’ve met.” Elder Oh sounded pleased. “Ma’am, this is our daughter-in-law. Come say hi to your friend. She’s come some way to see you.”

Tension sizzled through Namjoo’s body.

She was going to faint!

“Friend?!” her mother repeated insulted. Stabbing a finger into her chest then ing it out to her, she claimed, “That’s my daughter!”

Sehun’s parents’ expressions blanked. Then to her seeking for an answer.

Awkwardly laughing, Namjoo shuffled over. Gripping her mother’s shoulders hard, quietly telling her not to say any more. “Yes, this is my mom. I call her mom. I got lost when I visited the city once, you see, and met her.” Glancing at her mom Namjoo nodded for to accept her story and went on, “She is like my mom, I refer to her that way.”

Shrugging out of her hands, Kim Jina gave her a glare.

“So, that’s the story?” Sehun’s mother nodded. “How kind of you!”

“What nonsense are you spewing?” her mother spat.

Gripping her shoulders again, Namjoo anxiously turned to the Oh’s. “Do you mind if I show her the house? There’s so much to catch up.”

“Oh yes! Yes, go ahead.” Sehun’s father stood up, gesturing for them to go ahead. “Don’t let us keep you. You must miss each other after all this time.”

“Stay for dinner if you’re not busy.” Madam Oh offered. “Namjoo’s family is ours as well.”

Faking a broad grin Namjoo raised a hand signaling she understood then ushered her mother out of the manor. Alone outside she grabbed her mother’s hand and raced toward Sehun’s stucco home.

She was freaking out!

At the slam of the door Namjoo ordered, “Stay here.” and ran from room to room, upstairs and returned making sure the coast was clear.

Kim Jina’s nostrils flared. In front of the entry way, she resembled a fiery angry bird about to blast through the walls of the house. Small, cute, puffed.

“Mom…”

Reaching into her handbag, she aggressively tossed down a newspaper. “Are you out of your mind?!”

It wasn’t the regular daily newspaper. Rather the newspaper was a business archive of business updates and upcoming events. Plastered on the front page was a picture of a grand scale financial company. Along the side in pop-up squares was a formal headshot of Sehun. Another one of him shaking hands with an unrecognizable graying head elder.

No picture of her.

Impatiently snagging the paper from her because she was taking too long, her mother flipped the paper to the lower half. Where in the article whomever had drawn up the article included her name, status as Sehun’s wife, and soon-to-be-born baby. Also, congratulations to Sehun’s promotion.

“You ! You’re pregnant? And you got married?!” Her mother hit her arm then her back then her . And again.

“Ow! Mom! Ow!” Namjoo yelped trying to dodge her attacks, drawing her arms up to defend herself. She ended up running in a circle stupidly.

“I thought you were overseas working! Irresponsible daughter! How have I raised you!” her mother scolded. “I was worried sick about you! You were in the city all along! You conniving girl! How can you do this to me!”

“Mom! Stop!” Namjoo cried out. “I’m not pregnant!”

One more smack on the arm and Jina’s arm ceased midair. “What?”

Rubbing her injured arm Namjoo witnessed the shock on her mother’s arm. Saying one more time hurt, “I’m not pregnant.”

Relief spread through her mother’s face. Namjoo assumed it was over. She cried out again when her mother twisted a knuckle against her head.

“Are you out of your mind?!” she bellowed. “You’re not pregnant!”

“It hurts!” Namjoo whined covering the side of her head. “If you’d stop screaming and give me a chance to explain.”

She breathed a dissatisfied hmph! “Then explain yourself! What is a person like you doing here in this multi-millionaire household?!”

A person like you…

Of course. Namjoo knew.

She was aware of it.

“It’s not what you’re thinking.” Namjoo mumbled downtrodden. Once more remembering her unworthiness. It spilled out like that.

Meeting Sehun. Moonbi’s pregnancy test. The lie. Staying for the money. Leaving. Back here and persuaded to continue lying persuaded by more money.

Unfolding the lies one by one, because she didn’t want to lie to her mother. Namjoo wanted to be honest the exact way her mother raised her to be. Always never forget where she came from. Live sincerely. Be hardworking. Out there was where her she was born into. Not here in a sheltered haven.

“You shouldn’t be here,” her mother hissed. “You’re swindling them?! Are you out of your mind?! What makes you think I want the money you’re making?!” Hitting her own chest, “I have a club! I have the business! Your mom isn’t incapable! Who told you to worry about me?!”

Namjoo stared at the floor apologetic, full of remorse. “I just wanted to help you.”

“Come home! You can’t be here anymore. Do you want to be arrested for fraud?” her mother grabbed her arm. “Those people have power and money. Once they find out you’re lying, do you think they’ll go easy on you? People like that are not like us.”

opened for an excuse, but the door flew open. Excitement strewn across Sehun’s face before fluctuating when he realized she wasn’t alone.


***Ok, so I didn't go because the baby is sick and in the hospital :( Here's the chapter we've been waiting for! I think I'm about done with the story =D