Chapter Nine

Set Me Free
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~ Flashback ~

 

Yongsun's PoV

 

I was putting on my maroon blazer with gold-plated buttons when I heard my doorbell ring. I'm wearing black turtleneck long-sleeve shirt tucked under black jeans, then a brown leather belt, and black knee-high boots, dressing as fancy as the cold weather would allow me on my date tonight. A smile automatically occupied my face at the thought that it was probably Wheein waiting on the other side of the door. 

The first thing that I saw when I opened the door is a huge bouquet of sunflowers wrapped in black glossy paper tied with a gold ribbon. I was entranced by how the flowers are intricately arranged in a bouquet that it took me a few seconds to respond to Wheein calling me from behind it. 

"Yong?" she called, peeking from behind the flowers to look at me.

"Yes, Whee" I said, smiling at her when I saw her eyes behind the flowers. 

"For you" she said, handing me the bouquet of flowers to me.

I took the flowers from her, moved it to the side so that its massiveness won't obstruct my face, and leaned in to kiss Wheein on her dimpled cheek. Smiling at her, I said, "Thank you. They're beautiful"

"Anything for you, Yong" she said, leaning in to kiss me on the cheeks and added, "You're more beautiful though."

A blush made its way to my face, waking up the butterflies in my stomach. "Shut up. You look gorgeous yourself. Come in for a second. Let me place them in vases"

Wheein wore a beige oversize knit sweater over a black fitted turtleneck long-sleeve shirt. She's also wearing black jeans tucked in her brown boots. Her light brown hair flowing down past her shoulders.

Wheein chuckled as we went inside my apartment. I told her to sit on the couch while I placed the flowers in vases. Since there are a lot of them, I was able to produce three bundles of sunflowers in vases. I placed one in the middle of my dining table and the other one on my bedside table so that it'll be the first thing I'll see when I wake up. Grabbing my purse and keys, I held the last vase and placed it on the coffee table in front of the couch in the living room. She immediately stood up when she saw me coming to her as I told her that we're good to go.

While heading to my car, she placed her hand on the small of my back, resting it there, and removed it only when I was already inside the car. She opened the passenger door for me to get in, then rounded to the driver's seat once I got in.

"Where are you taking me?" I asked once we exited my apartment building.

"Surprise" she said, winking, and smiling at me before looking back at the road again.

I poked her dimple with my index finger and asked, "Where did you get the flowers? They're really beautiful and massive" 

"I intended it to be big. I ordered them a few days ago from the Guwau Village in Taebaek. I was panicking earlier because it was supposed to arrive this morning but it got delayed. I was running around the city this morning desperately looking for sunflowers until I received they're call past lunch that they got stuck and had an emergency. I couldn't breathe from nervousness until it arrived a few minutes before I planned on heading out to your place" she said, chuckling at her earlier predicament.

She continued to drive while glancing at me every now and then as we continued to talk. 

"There are hundreds of flowers from the hundreds of shops in the city. You don't need to buy one from afar. You could've avoided panicking" I said, pouting at her and softly poking her dimple again.

"Ah, but I specifically wanted to give you sunflowers and I couldn't get one within the city"

"Why sunflowers?" I poked her dimple once more, eyebrows raising from curiosity. 

"You gave me magnolias when I had my exhibit, remember? You said it reminded you of me. Now, I don't have the fancy reasons and things like you said to me, other than they reminded me of you." She smiled so wide again, offering me her dimple.

"Oh, really? How?" I asked, poking her again.

"Are you going to keep poking me?" she asked as she pouted at me.

"Yes." I poked her dimple again, smiling teasingly at her. "It’s really just sitting there waiting to be poked"

"Stop it, you're distracting me from driving" she whined. 

"Nope" I said, popping the p in the word, teasing her more.

"Yong…"

I was about to poke it again when she suddenly grabbed my hand and interlocked it with hers. She kissed its back and placed our joined hands on the center console, only letting go briefly when she needed two of her hands for driving and held it back again. She kept on rubbing her thumb on the back of my hand, which made me smile while looking at our joined hands, sending butterflies again to my stomach.

My hand felt right in hers, holding it.

"You didn't answer my question" I said, reminding her of our conversation before the interlocking-hands incident.

"Oh, yeah. Sorry. Sunflowers because of your name. Kim Yongsun" she said, emphasizing the sun on my name. "And because you're always a ray of sunshine. You always brighten up my day when I'm with you" she said sheepishly. A blush creeping up her face as she explained.

It also made me blush. Butterflies are already going wild inside me. And I didn't know what to say after that, so I just lifted our joined hands and kissed the back of her hand, and her knuckles one by one, muttering thank you, while she smiled so wide at me.

"But does it have to be so huge?" I asked, feigning disinterest. 

"Of course! By then, you'll be able to see them wherever you are in your house. It will keep you thinking of me. Isn't that great?" she said excitedly, winking at me when she finished talking.

"Wow, I never knew you could be this cheesy" I said. 

"Oh, come on. As if you don't secretly like it", smirking at me.

I actually love it. 

"Shut up" I muttered, unable to stop myself from smiling.

 

The place Wheein took me was farther than what I expected. When the road started going up, I got more and more curious where she will be taking me. The scenery on her side of the window was of the city lights, which made me keep on sitting up a lot of times just to look at the view. Wheein had to constantly remind me to sit properly, and sometimes pull me down gently, due to my excitement.

I kept asking her if we're already there yet or if we're near and she had to keep on calming me down because I'm already impatient where it reached to a point where I told her to drive faster. 

Or did I scold her because she drove so slow? 

I've even told her that maybe we should switch; that I should drive and that she'll just have to give me directions because I thought I could drive faster than her and that I really can't wait anymore. It was a miracle, really, that we never got into an accident because of how I constantly bother her from driving and how I couldn't stay still. 

I couldn't blame myself though.

I think if it was someone else, they've already thrown me out of the car, even if the said car was mine. They've also already got mad and yelled at me for being so annoying. Or maybe they would already cancel this date even before it has started.

But this is Wheein we're talking about; the most perfect person I ever knew, the most gentle and kindest person in this world, and the most patient person out there. Her patience balances out with my impatience. Her shyness balances with my straightforwardness. And I couldn't help but think how perfect she is for me.

And I will be, Whee, for you. I promise I will be because I don't know what I'll do without you in my life already. I love you so much.

When we arrived, Wheein opened my door for me and immediately rested her hand on my back. Since it got chilly than earlier, she pulled me closer to her, rubbing her hands on both of my arms as we hurriedly walked inside the restaurant, seeking for heat. 

The place she brought me to was a mountainside restaurant that overlooks the city below us. Lights from buildings, houses, cars and city activiti

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter