Chapter Two

Set Me Free
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wheein's PoV

 

Why are you here? That's what I wanted to ask. We'll she's obviously the Byul. I think.

Why are you Byul? Another question on hand.

When Yong saw me, she smiled wider. Showing those dimples right at the corner of her lips, she slowly approached me while walking like an angel and holding a bouquet of magnolia flowers with both of her hands.

That freaking smile and those ing dimples will be the death of my plan. And magnolias? Damn, it's like sprinkling salt to an already squirming worm of my plan that is, reminding myself for the nth time, letting her go.

Gallery exhibit? Success. Letting her go? An obvious fail.

Hey, I'm trying. And I'm not going to let a glorious angel ruin that.

I groaned in my mind.

"Congratulations. This is for you" Yong said. With all my thinking, I barely registered that she's already a foot in front of me and handing me the flowers she brought.

I just stared at her eyes, then at the bouquet, and then right back to her eyes. Great... 

"Miss Ahn said you'll personally tour me around the gallery. I'd love to do that, if you're still not tired" she said, her smile still in place while still trying to hand me the flowers. And is that worry or plea from her eyes? I'm not quite sure. 

Of course, I'd love to personally tour her around. But that was before Byul had a pronoun and a face. That was before I knew that you, Kim Yongsun, is Byul. Now, I'm not so sure anymore.

My excitement of potentially expressing my sincerest gratitude to a one named Byul has now already dissipated.

I looked around and saw Hyejin eyeing me with curious eyes, eyebrows up as if asking me what's wrong.

Everything Hyejin, everything. Gosh, if only you knew.

Now, I'm staring at Yong's mesmerizing eyes, then to Yong's bouquet of magnolias, then to Hyejin's questioning look, and then right back at Yong.

I think I'll be having a headache from all the panic, anxious, and nervous eye movements I'm doing. 

Why do you have to be back?

I know I wasn't doing any better without her, but I know it would be easier to move on if she's not right here in front of me, if I won't be able to feel her presence.

Move on. Right. That's the plan.

I won't be able to move on if I'm not strong enough, if I'm going to be a coward every time I see you. I don't know what you are up to now, Yong, but I'm not letting you in this time. I didn't work hard for nothing.

An overwhelming amount of questions were inside my head and trapped at the tip of my tongue. Questions like how, why, when, and all the other WHs questions one could formulate. If I'll indulge myself with my curiosity, that will be the trigger to my vulnerability around this woman now. I'm surely not going to let that happen, so pushing through with personally accompanying her inside the gallery would be my only bullet to let her know that I'm way past her, that I'm not affected anymore. Even though I know that I'm still trying to move on.

Well, obviously I still am affected by her. She caught me off guard by coming here as Byul. But I still have a tiny bit of dignity left and a pinch of pride. I let that fuel me.

Reluctantly, I accepted her flowers. "Thank you and of course. Right this way, Miss Kim," I said, gesturing for her to walk first while offering my professional smile, for whatever that means.

Yong nodded, offering a brighter smile and walked ahead.

Let's get ourselves together, Jung Wheein. You can do this.

I was about to follow Yong when Hyejin grabbed my arm.

"Miss Kim? You know her? I said that Byul is here earlier, not a Miss Kim? Wait, so you knew Byul all along?" she whispered, eyebrows meeting in the middle while looking into my eyes.

"I really don't know who Byul is, but I know this person. And I never knew that Byul and her are just the same" I whispered back. Our faces are now so closed to each other, trying not to let the other person hear our conversation. 

"Is this the Kim we're talking about yesterday?"

Did I mention that she's smart? Damn, she catches up real fast indeed.

"Yes" I admitted.

"Would you prefer that I accompany her?" she offered.

"No, I can handle this"

"Are you sure?"

"No, but I will be" I said, putting on a braver face after sighing deeply.

"Is there something wrong?" We heard Yong asked, bringing our attention back to her again.

Ice cold. I felt that. And I think Hyejin too.

Hyejin and I both looked at Yong who obviously noticed that neither one of us is moving. A serious face replaced her previously smiling one.

Why does it feel like I'm being scolded?

She's definitely mad at something. I have forgotten how it feels like when she's mad.

Why is she mad though? Well, I get that she's our guest and that we let her wait just because Hyejin and I had a conversation. But, it's not like we talked for an hour or something.

I should be the one who's mad now, right? She showed up out of nowhere without some heads up or permission, well we did give her an invitation. But still. Why does it feel like I need to ask her permission to be mad right now? 

Why am I such a mess?! 

"Oh, nothing" Hyejin said, breaking the silence and offering a pleasant smile to Yong.

Great job, Hyejin. Good thing she initiated since I am temporarily unable to utter such simple words. I'm still frozen by her cold tone.

Taking a step back and removing her hold on my arm, Hyejin's smile is now directed to me as she asked, "Would you want me to take the flowers, Miss Jung?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter