Chapter Seventeen

Set Me Free
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yongsun's PoV

 

~ Two days post-breakup ~

 

"Dad, I do not want to get married to the Moon's heiress" I said to my father, standing in his office of our main building in America.

"I think I've made myself clear on that matter already. We are pushing through with this marriage" Dad said, sitting behind his table, arms leaning on it.

"Why do I even have to do that?" 

"I want to expand our assets and join both companies. They want their daughter to get married. Everything's perfect and you agreed to this before you flew for your internship" 

"I can expand our company if that's what you like, and I can do that without marrying her" I said, clenching my fists and getting frustrated at my father.

"Why? Because of that artist? You already broke up with her, didn't you?"

"It would be unfair for her. I will get back to her once I'm cleared from this marriage and you will not threaten me by using your contacts to ruin her career. That's dirty!" I said, unable to keep my calm anymore.

"Why do you even want to pursue her? She's not good for you" Dad said, pointing a finger at me.

"She is perfect and the best for me. You're the one who doesn't know what's good for me, Dad"

"She's a distraction" 

"She's more than just a distraction! She's my reason!" 

"She's not a good investment" 

"Why do you treat people like business?! I don't need a good investment as a partner in life! I need someone who I love and who loves me back!" I shouted, wanting to reason out with him as tears started to fall from my eyes. "Why can't you just let me be?! This is the only thing I ask from you. I'll manage the company. I'll be the president. And I would be very happy to do that if I have Wheein in my life. Why can't you not get it, Dad?!"

We stared at each other, challenging each other, for what seems like eternity. He's not backing down and there is no way I'm backing down on this one too.

"I love you, Dad. You know that. I've done everything you want me to do, learned everything you want me to learn, and I have put everything else aside because of what you expect from me, what you want from me. But I can't give you this one. Please" I said, sobbing in front of my father. 

I'm supposed to be stronger and hold it in but I can't, not anymore. It hurts how powerless I am when it comes to my own life. And it hurts so much because I have already found something I truly want, someone I truly want to be with, but I can't even get it.

"Prove it to me then" Dad said after releasing a heavy sigh.

"What are your terms?" I said, determined. 

"I planned everything about the marriage and collaboration. All you had to do was participate in it. But since you want something else, fix it. You deal with the Moons, you raise the company's assets like you promised, then you can be with your artist" he proposed. 

"How long?" I said, wiping my tears and standing up straighter.

"Four years" he said, raising his four fingers at me.

"Too long" I said, shaking my head. "Give me two years and I'll do it"

"That would be impossible" he said, closing his eyes and shaking his head.

"Highly improbable but not impossible" I said, eyes looking directly at him, challenging him. 

"Two years. If you fail, you can no longer see that artist, ever again"

"Deal" I said, reaching out a hand to him.

"Deal" he said as he shook my hand.

 

~ Five days post-breakup ~

 

"Excuse me. Are you Miss Kim?" a beautiful woman with long dark silver hair asked me.

"Yes" I said, nodding at her while sitting at some café. 

"Hi. I'm Moon Byulyi" she said, reaching out a hand to shake. 

"Hello, Miss Moon. I'm Kim Yongsun" I introduced myself, reaching out to shake her hand. "Please have a seat" I said, directing her to the chair across from me.

When she took a seat across me, we stared at each other as if studying one another. She's wearing a red crisp three-piece suit with a black tie. She's beautiful, I couldn't deny that. I would probably be attracted to her if not for the fact that I'm already in love with someone else.

"I don't want to get married to you" she said after a few minutes of studying each other.

Wait, what? 

"Excuse me?" I said, disbelieving as my eyebrows dipped down. 

"I mean no offense but I really don't want to get married to you" she said.

Oh, thank god then! 

"Oh, I'm not offended at all" I said, smiling at her. Probably my first genuine smile since I came back home. "In fact, I'm actually glad. I wanted to meet you to tell you that I also don't want to get married"

She released a sigh of relief and smiled back at me. "Thank you. I really don't want to do this" 

"If it's okay with you, I just want to know why you don't want to pursue this. My Dad said your parents wanted you to get married" 

"Yeah, right" she said, leaning her back on the chair. "Our parents had been plotting this even before you left for Korea, way before that. Your father wants expansion, my parents want me committed. I'm already committed to my work. I don't want to commit myself to someone else. What about you?"

"Well, opposite of you. I want to commit myself to someone else but I can't do that because of this arrangement"

"Who is he? If you don't mind me asking" Byul asked, leaning in front as she rested her elbows on the table.

"She" I said, correcting her. "Her name's Jung Wheein. She's an artist in Korea"

"Oh, I think I heard that name" she said, eyes going wide.

"Well, she's really good. She's starting to get recognized around the world too" I said, smiling so wide, feeling proud of Wheein.

"You love her?" Byul said, smirking at me. 

"Of course" I answered without hesitation.

"So what do you want to do then?" Byul asked, tapping a finger on the table.

"Obviously, we don't pursue this marriage. My father still wants our two companies to collaborate, I think we could do that without the marriage. That if it's okay with you"

"I have no questions about the collaboration. You have the market that we need. We have some assets that you need. Our company would greatly benefit from the collaboration. But what about my parents? They still want me to commit and settle down"

"You come with me to Korea after two years. Tell your parents I'll help you find someone" 

"I think I've made myself clear that I don't want to commit to someone" 

"I'm not saying you will commit and settle down. I'm saying that we will find someone for you. There's no promise of commitment there. There's a difference. What do you think? Deal?" I said, reach out a hand to her.

She smiled at me and shook my hand. "Deal. And call me Byul. I have a good feeling we're going to be good friends" 

"Call me Yong or Yongsun. I think so too" I said, smiling back at her.

 

~Two months post-breakup ~

 

"I can't do it, Byul. I can't do this. I miss Wheein so much. It hurts so much" I said, sobbing inside my office, the president's office that is now mine, while Byul rubbed a hand on my arm to comfort me.

"You know you have to do this, right? How are you supposed to go back to her if you'll just give up? If you'll give up now" Byul said, handing me another tissue.

"I know. I just miss her so much. I left her without a warning and she begged for me not to let her go. It was so stupid of me. I feel so ashamed of myself that I even allowed her to beg for me" I said, raising my feet on the couch while I continued to wipe my tears.

"You love her, right?" 

"Of course I do!" 

"Tell me about it. What do you love about her?"

I closed my eyes and pictured Wheein in front of me. Smiling at me, laughing with me, concentrating on her work, pouting because of my teasing, showing off her dimple, and her eyes. Her pair of brown eyes. 

"Her eyes. I've always been attracted to her because of her eyes. Her eyes that always held sincerity and love towards me. Her eyes that smile when I tell her I love her and when she tells me she loves me. Her eyes, which would turn sharp and serious when she concentrates on her work" I started as

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter