Four

Where She Went
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After an uneventful ride in his car, Jongkook has used to time to think his plan through. It has to be foolproof — if someone else finds out, he could be in serious trouble. Luckily for him, the holidays are coming up; the Mom’s Diary crew won’t film at his house for a good month or so with the plans for offsite filming. 

 

Jihyo is very quiet. He wishes he could know what’s going on in her head, but alas, he can only guess. He wonders what Seongmoon might have done if he’s her only option, considering she can’t remember who he is but still agreed to stay with him. He doesn't ask, though  It is not his place to, not yet, but hopefully she will warm up to him soon enough.

 

Eventually, they reach his apartment. She follows him quietly while he leads the way, no questions asked. It’s an uncomfortable silence, but just like their first meeting a decade ago, he does not know how to break the ice. They reach his house, where he spots someone waiting impatiently outside his door. The woman gasps, beaming and waving excitedly as she sees him exit the lift with Jihyo.

 

“I’d like you to meet my friend.” 

 

It’s the first time Jongkook’s spoken since they left for his apartment. Jihyo looks up, surprised at his voice, then notices the very enthusiastic newcomer right ahead of them. 

 

His friend, or rather, Somin, literally bounces up like a puppy would to its owner. She ignores Jongkook, going straight to Jihyo and bowing. “Hello! My name is Jeon Somin, and it’s a pleasure to meet you!”

 

“It is?”

 

Jongkook winces, afraid that he has made the wrong call in telling Somin. The younger woman was always very bad at reading cues, and he was worried that she might overwhelm Jihyo. He shoots Somin a harsh glare, shaking his head subtly. 

 

Somin pauses, remembering her side of the deal. Jongkook was very clear in the message not to talk out of line. “I mean, you’re just really pretty!” She explains, hoping it’s enough to hide her nervousness.

 

Luckily, it is. Jihyo flushes, looking away in embarrassment. “Thank you?”

 

“Calm down, Somin. You’re scaring her.” Jongkook chuckles. A nice safe from Somin, but she better not reveal anything more. “Come on, let’s head in.”

 

They do, with Jongkook heading into his apartment first and Somin hot on his heels. Jihyo lingers behind quietly, confused with the new visitor. Did he ask her to come? Does she know her brother too? Secretly, she’s happy to see another person. Up till this point, she was still contemplating to make a run for it before he kidnaps her or something. 

 

“Are you... Dating?” Jihyo asks curiously, looking at Somin, then back at Jongkook. She looks a little young for him, but what does she know? 

 

“No!” Jongkook splutters, frowning in disgust. “She’s just...”

 

“I’m his colleague!” Somin corrects, equally jumpy. God, no. She’d never date someone as uptight as Kim Jongkook. 

 

“Oh?" Jihyo looks at the slim girl with interest. Jongkook, she understood. Even with his coat on, she could see the well defined bulk in his arms. But Somin looked too sweet for words, whatever would she do? "What do you do in the gym?” 

 

“Gym...” Somin presses her lips together, trying not to laugh. This oppa’s gone and told Jihyo that he works in a gym? Luckily, she’s good in coming up with stories. “I’m just the owner’s daughter.”

 

Now it’s Jongkook’s turn to bite his lips and hold himself back from commenting. Owner’s daughter? This young girl really knew how to make up her own outrageous storylines. Anyhow, it’s good enough to explain why Somin will be free to accompany Jihyo often. 

 

“She’s very useless in the gym, so in some ways you’re helping me get rid of her.” Jongkook grins.

 

“Oppa!” Somin whines, but she’s being ignored. The corners of Jihyo's lips lift up into a tiny smile as she watches their sibling dynamics and it doesn't go unnoticed by Jongkook. 

 

It feels like forever ago when he last saw her like that. This whole situation is making him very nostalgic, and his gaze lingers longer than he intends to. 

 

“You’re my unnie.” Somin informs happily, never mind that Jihyo hasn’t said a word about her age. “I’ve always wanted to have an unnie! I’m the oldest in my family and my younger brother’s a brat.”

 

“Oh, me too.” Jihyo smiles, not used to the younger woman’s infectious energy. “My brother’s a little like that...” She trails off, a little dazed. 

 

Uh oh. Somin makes eye contact with Jongkook, who shakes his head discreetly. Seongmoon is a topic that’s off limits for now, considering that Jihyo ran away from him. 

 

“Um, anyway! I was wondering if you are craving anything for dinner? Jongkook oppa’s house has a great Chinese place nearby.” Somin rambles, diverting her attention. “Or chimaek? Wait, we shouldn’t drink. Pasta?”

 

“Chinese is fine.” Jihyo answers softly before Somin can list down all the food choices in the world.

 

Somin glances nervously at Jongkook, biting down on her lower lip. This might be harder than she thought. She’s usually great at keeping a conversation going, but Jihyo doesn’t seem like the type to chat.  

 

“Then oppa should order take out for us.” Somin hints. She has a plan to make Jihyo feel more comfortable, but she can’t do it with the man practically breathing down her back. 

 

“They don’t do deliveries.” Jongkook shakes his head.

 

“Please, oppa?” 

 

“But it’s getting dark, and it’s cold...” Jongkook trails off, frowning. What is Somin doing? He invited her over so Jihyo would relax a little, not so that she can chase him out of his own house!

 

“Oppa, we really want Chinese!” Somin practically begs, gesturing to poor Jihyo who’s very much trying to stay out of this. “Please? You can order jjamppong!”

 

Jongkook is very reluctant to leave Somin alone with Jihyo. Sure, he called her for help, but sometimes Somin wasn’t the best at keeping secrets. 

 

“Alright.” Knowing he can’t win in this battle, he sighs, nodding. 

 

The only reason he decided to ask Somin was because she was a woman, and it was better for Jihyo to trust someone who wouldn’t intentionally trigger her memories. Somin guested on the show once before the disappearance, but it’s safe to say Jihyo won’t remember her when she can’t even remember him.  Kwangsoo would have been too emotional about this, and even Sechan might tell Jaesuk. 

 

So he leaves, not before shooting a warning glance at Somin and promising to return quickly. It’s still snowing out, he wouldn’t want to take long. 

 

“Sorry about that.” With Jongkook gone, Somin relaxes. “Anyway, we’ll probably see each other a lot so you can totally be comfortable with me. Can I call you unnie?”

 

“I’ve never had a female dongsaeng before.” Jihyo nods, feeling her heart slow  back down to normal with the kind assurance of Somin beside her. 

 

Finally, she gets to look around Jongkook’s apartment. It looks cosy, like a bachelor’s pad. He doesn’t seem to be dating anyone either. There are no photo frames or pictures decorated around his coffee table or walls, nothing that can tell her about his life. 

 

Somin notices Jihyo’s eyes darting around, and hides a worried grimace. She hasn’t had the chance to talk to Jongkook yet, but he’s lucky there isn’t any evidence of his celebrity status lying around in his apartment. 

 

“Unnie, you can ask me anything.” Somin comments, getting nervous again.

 

“Do you know Jongkook well?” Jihyo asks without a second thought. She must have been curious about his personality. 

 

“I’ve known oppa for three years.” Somin answers truthfully. “Oppa looks really scary, but he’s kinda soft... Like a teddy bear!"

 

"He's not a thug, right?"

 

The younger actress stifles a giggle. "No, of course not. You’ll be quite safe here.”

 

Jihyo still looks doubtful; she hasn't had the chance to talk to Jongkook properly yet, besides him being generous enough to offer her a roof over her head, even going as far to give her food. "Is he usually this welcoming? I mean... Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for this, but I don't want to impose, especially since I'm a stranger."

 

"No, no." Somin reassures her happily. "Jongkook oppa has the kindest heart! He takes good care of me all the time. Please don't worry, unnie. Oppa would never leave anyone else alone if he could help himself."

 

What’s with these people being so nice to her? Jihyo doesn’t know if Seongmoon’s told Somin anything (she never even knew that her brother was close to the people in his gym, let alone that he even went to one). Come to think of it, her brother isn’t always at the hospital with her. She never really thought much of it, considering he must be busy enough to pay for her stay. 

 

“How do you know my brother?” Jihyo asks, curious. “I didn’t know he signed up for a gym package.”

 

Somin’s lucky she’s an actress. “I try to know all the customers. It really helps with business.” 

 

“Then... he mentions me? He doesn't tell me anything about his friends.” 

 

This time, Somin starts to sweat. This conversation was going into dangerous waters! She can’t let Jihyo know that she just met Cheon Seongmoon a few hours ago. In fact, she still can’t get over the fact that Running Man’s first original female member is sitting right next to her, alive. 

 

“He... He told us that you had trouble remembering.” Somin says vaguely, struggling to come up with a better answer. “But don’t worry! I won’t pry, I promise.”

 

“It’s okay. I probably can’t tell you anything if I don’t remember anyway.” Jihyo confesses. “I just wish I did.” 

 

Guilt floods her body at the sight of an innocent Jihyo, the older woman looking calm and collected through her sorrow. Now she really regrets shooing Jongkook away. This was wrong, keeping secrets from ev

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter