Sixteen

Where She Went
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

6 years ago, January 2014

 

There’s cheering at the back, as well as soft apologies from Jaesuk to the guests for winning yet another game. Games could be brutal, but Winter games were the worst — nothing spurred them on like the promise of a warm room to rest while the other team braved the harsh winds, this time to chop wood.

 

Jihyo shakes her head, bowing apologetically to the guests. They’d be getting their screen time, at least. Fortunately for them, Jongkook could teach them. If it was someone else like Sukjin or Ha Ha leading their team, well, it would be a different story.

 

“Hey.” 

 

Jihyo looks up, spotting the man in question. “Hey yourself.” She replies. It’s like she hasn’t talked to him the entire day,  only because he’s on the other team. “Shouldn’t you go chop wood?”

 

“For the record, we let you guys win.”

 

“Sure.” She shrugs, grinning. 

 

It’s starting to get late, the sky already dark. Shoots were long and she’s been filming her drama lately, so she’s really piling it on. 

 

“You should get some rest.” Jongkook frowns, watching her stifle a yawn. “I heard that the final game is another round of name tag ripping.”

 

“Oh.” Jihyo bites her lip. She was hoping they’d be spared from that, but the PDs wouldn’t be so nice, not even in Winter. “It’s fine. I shouldn’t be sleeping on camera so much.”

 

“Technically, you nap in the car all the time...”

 

“Yah, oppa. That’s because we’re traveling to the next location.” 

 

“Take a nap, Jihyo.” Jongkook presses, slightly aware of the guests waiting for him. Instead of turning to leave, he pulls Kwangsoo over. 

 

“Hyung, shouldn’t you start heading off to film the punishment?” The younger actor can’t help but grin. It’s nice to be on the same team as Jongkook, but even better to be on the other team and still win. 

 

“Don’t act all cocky, you punk. We’ll just win later.” Jongkook threatens. “Can you make sure Jihyo takes a rest when you get indoors? She’s being incredibly stubborn again.”

 

“Oppa! I—“

 

“Say no more, hyung.” Kwangsoo salutes him eagerly, slightly worried about the final game. Get on his good side, otherwise he might just die later on... “Noona, you look horrible.”

 

“What he meant to say is, you look like you could use a nap.” Jongkook corrects before Jihyo can reach over to grab a fistful of Kwangsoo’s hair.

 

“How is that any better?” Jihyo decides that she can hit back at two people at once, which she promptly demonstrates on poor Kwangsoo. 

 

“Noona!”

 

“Hmph. I’ll recharge for the next game and beat you, Kim Jongkook. Just you wait!” Jihyo promises, dragging a sorrowful Kwangsoo with her.

 

Jongkook watches as the pair continue to bicker like siblings, shaking his head as he smiles. It feels like he has to take care of them more than half the time they hung out. They weren’t getting any younger, but it’s still a blessing to be able to play childish games. He’ll continue until he’s old and on the way to retirement if it meant that he could see her every Monday. 

 

 

When Jihyo wakes up, as weird as it sounds, she first checks that she’s not on a cloud. 

 

She had a strange dream last night — something about flying and landing on a soft, fluffy cloud? Not the most bizarre, but she usually doesn’t remember her dreams. She lies back into the pillows, blinking up at the ceiling, until it dawns on her.

 

She wasn’t sleeping on this bed last night.

 

Jihyo rises, pulling the comforter off her warm body as she looks around her surroundings. She’s in the bedroom, the fancy king-sized one that’s remade everyday by the cleaning crew. What the— She distinctively remembers sleeping on the couch yesterday night. She was expecting a huge fight from Jongkook, but he said good night and left her to the spacious living room, where she definitely remembers closing her eyes and passing out. 

 

She should have known. He wouldn’t pass up a chance to bicker with her, even if it was for something as small as their sleeping arrangements. “Kim Jongkook...” She mutters under her breath, the sleepiness fading away. 

 

Off she goes, marching out of the bedroom and straight outside where Jongkook was. “Kim Jongkook oppa! Did you carry me to bed last night? Even though it was my turn to sleep on the couch?”

 

Poor Jongkook — he’s half awake himself, barely out of the couch where he took over after carrying her last night. On hindsight, she should have checked that he was awake first before demanding for answers. 

 

“Yah, Kim Jongkook oppa? So early in the morning too!” He yawns, butchering his attempt at scolding her for being overly casual to him. “Also, you’re welcome.”

 

“For what? I didn’t ask to be carried!” Jihyo fumes, folding her arms. “Oppa, we made a deal, and it was my turn to take the couch. I don’t care, I’m taking it again tonight.”

 

“I’d just carry you back when you’re asleep.”

 

“No!” Jihyo splutters, horrified. “I’ll stay awake all night.”

 

“No you won’t. You fall asleep the moment you close your eyes.” Jongkook smiles. He wasn’t expecting to be woken up by an angry Jihyo, but he had to admit he was thoroughly enjoying her sulk session. “Don’t bother fighting with me, Jihyo. I always win.”

 

“Ha, no you don’t.” 

 

“I definitely do.”

 

“No—“

 

“Just go change for breakfast, Jihyo.” Jongkook interrupts, exasperated. “We should go quickly if we want to head out.”

 

She falters, wondering if she should continue bickering with him about their sleeping arrangements, or go get ready for the day’s activities. The latter wins; she’s not ashamed to admit that food is her number one priority now.

 

“This isn’t over, oppa.” She narrows her eyes, glaring at him. “We have nine more days here and I plan to sleep on the couch whether you like it or not.”

 

“Sure, sure.” He nods solemnly, willing himself not to laugh. She truly was a peculiar woman. “But remember, I always win.”

 

The way Jongkook says it, so confident and assertive — it sends shivers down her spine. She was starting to sense a pattern here. Whenever they argued, he’d say something that would make her want to give in... In fact, he could do whatever he wanted to her with that smug tone and she would let him win anything.

 

Jihyo straightens, feeing her cheeks flush as she simmers down. “We’ll see about that.” She mumbles, then retreats to the bathroom to get ready. 

 

 

Jeon So Min

 

7.16am: Unnie, it’s been three days. Will you finally answer my messages or do I have to call Jongkook oppa? Are you even still alive??

 

7.17am: If you don’t answer me today, I’m calling Jongkook oppa!!

 

Song Ji Hyo

 

8.34am: Calm down, Somin. I got all your messages.

 

Jeon So Min

 

8:35am: Unnie!

 

8:35am: Wait, how do I know this is you and not oppa? Did he kill you in LA??

 

Song Ji Hyo

 

8:36am: Don’t be so melodramatic, Somin ah ㅋㅋㅋ

 

Jeon So Min

 

8:37am: Jongkook oppa isn’t a murderer, but it might happen!

 

8:38am: Are you having fun in LA, unnie? I swear, I didn’t know he was going to do this! 

 

Song Ji Hyo

 

8:40am: I haven’t travelled in a while, so it’s been fun. I can’t wait to show you the pictures. 

 

8:41am: I have to go, I’ll see you in a few days. Don’t worry about me! Go film your drama and work hard~

 

 

“I really don’t get it.” Somin sulks, placing her phone down. “Why LA? And why couldn’t he tell us?”

 

“He probably didn’t want you spilling to Jihyo noona before he got the chance to surprise her.” Sechan suggests. “Why is this a problem?”

 

“It’s not.” Ha Ha frowns, hesitant. “At least, I think it’s not.”

 

“Hyung, if this is you trying to matchmake them... That’s insane.” Sechan shrugs. He didn’t think it was necessary for them to meet two days before the gathering, as if they don’t see each other too much already. “They would have gotten together a long time ago if they had feelings for one another.”

 

“Says who?” Ha Ha scoffs — he can’t believe Somin told Sechan about his suspicions! “Is that what’s up with you and Somin? You can’t get together because you never had feelings in the first year?”

 

“Oppa!” Somin scolds, embarrassed. She came here to discuss Jongkook and Jihyo’s latest getaway, not get dragged by Ha Ha’s witty tongue. “Sechan, you’re not seeing it. Jongkook oppa has always talked about marriage but he’s never actually dated. Isn’t that strange?”

 

“Maybe hyung’s just shy. Or trying to be entertaining.”

 

“Ha! Shy!” Ha Ha snorts in disbelief. “I’ve thought about it, and this isn’t like him. We’ve been friends for a decade and he’s never taken me on a holiday before. This man collects tissue paper from cafes so that he can save cost! He’s the most frugal person in the whole of Korea, no, the world, and he just spent over ten grand to bring Song Jihyo to LA.”

 

“When you put it that way...” Sechan trails off in thought.

 

“Oppa’s generous, but he’s not that generous.” Somin amends, agreeing with Ha Ha. “He wouldn’t spend thousands of dollars on us for a free holiday.”

 

“We have money to pay for our own though.” Sechan points out, unconvinced. 

 

“No, no, it’s not the same.” Ha Ha insists. “I love hyung, I really do. But if he makes a move on Jihyo like this by bringing her to LA... Nope. I can’t do it! Someone has to hold me back or I might hit him!”

 

“And unnie called me melodramatic.” Somin pouts. “Oppa, you still don’t think it’s possible they might just like each other?”

 

“No.” Ha Ha groans. “Like I said, she’s our sister.”

 

“She’s your sister.” Sechan corrects. “Jongkook hyung might not see her that way.”

 

“Who’s side are you even on?”

 

“No one’s! I’m just being impartial here.” 

 

“Whatever! Why are we here discussing about oppa and unnie when we are supposed to be helping Byul unnie with the gathering preparations? What did you say about the potluck again?” Somin asks, returning to the list of food and drinks in front of her. 

 

She’s usually more curious than this, but she trusts that Jihyo would have a good time in LA with Jongkook. They had no right to question their relationship, as tempting as it might seem. 

 

Although, if they really got together, this had potential to become a hit drama series... 

 

“Oh, there’s nothing much to prepare for.” Ha Ha waves it off, taking the list from her. “I mostly needed to come up with an excuse to tell the hyungs about Jongkook’s absence.”

 

“What? Oppa, I’m busy these days with my drama!” Somin huffs. She’s the leading lady, for crying out loud. 

 

“Hyung, you could have texted us.” Sechan complains, equally upset. “It’s one in the morning!”

 

“Exactly! It’s one in the morning and we’ve been here for three hours, how the heck is this my fault?” Ha Ha defends pointedly. “You know very well that I called you over to drink too!”

 

“Ah, oppa. Tomorrow’s a work day and the only one drinking is you.” Somin groans. “I don’t know how Byul unnie puts up with you, honestly!”

 

Ha Ha gasps, looking at the two youngest members in disbelief. Brats! All of them! 

 

 

The fresh air, the beautiful scenery and the best person to accompany him...

 

Jongkook can’t believe he gets to sightsee and travel around LA like a tourist. He usually goes alone, meets his friends and maybe live like a local, but never got the whole tourist experience.

 

And so far, it’s going pretty good.

 

“I can’t believe you’ve never been here before, oppa. What do you even do in LA?” Jihyo asks, walking alongside him. 

 

They were at one of LA’s most famous attractions, Griffith Park, where they planned to hike and then maybe continue exploring the area. Jongkook had never been, and hiking was definitely a good way to keep fit.

 

“Visit my friends.”

 

“You have friends?” 

 

“Yah! Of course I do.”

 

“Friends other me? Impossible, you only go to the gym!”

 

“Very funny.” Jongkook hears her teasing tone, and knows she’s playing with him. He

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter