Fifteen

Where She Went
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They wake up early enough for breakfast the next day, indulging in the complimentary buffet the hotel gave. It’s a wide spread, full of different cuisine and Jihyo piles her plate full of pancakes, bacon, sausages, cakes... Basically everything that Jongkook avoids.

 

“You shouldn’t be eating that.” Jongkook frowns, peering at her choice of food. That amount of sodium and sugar meant that he’d be at the gym for at least three hours.

 

“I’m on vacation.” Jihyo shrugs, pouring syrup over her pancakes. “I can do whatever I want.”

 

“Your health—“

 

“—is fine, thank you very much.”

 

Jongkook shakes his head, but when it comes to her, he can’t stay mad for long. It’s nice to see her eating anyway; she looked too skinny, like bones and skin. He watches as she munches happily on her breakfast, too engrossed in her food to notice him staring.

 

It doesn’t take long for her to feel self conscious though. She’s halfway through her plate when she feels his eyes on her, so she dabs her lips with the napkin provided, trying to look dainty. “Did I get syrup all over my mouth?” She asks, trying to clean up.

 

“No.” He replies, amused.

 

“Then...” Her cheeks flush as she avoids his eyes. “What’s wrong?”

 

“Nothing.” Jongkook clears his throat, realizing that he’s been watching her, like a creep, for too long. He picks up his fork and knife and starts digging into the salad and salmon he got. 

 

Breakfast is good, as well as it can be in a five star hotel, yet he’s not paying much attention to his food. It’s probably the clothes she has on that’s so damn distracting. The stylists got her a few dresses, possibly to take advantage of LA’s gorgeous weather where it’s never really cold — one of the reasons why he loves it here. Perfect to getaway from Korea’s harsh winter too. 

 

Today’s outfit is casual jeans paired with a short sleeved blouse; nothing fancy, but for some reason he can’t tear his eyes away from her. It’s like 2010 all over again and they are both young and carefree, before the ratings blew up and the show became a global hit.

 

“Okay, there’s definitely something wrong.” Jihyo says again, frowning deeply. She pats her hair down, looking at her outfit. “Did I wear the blouse inside out or...?”

 

“No.” Jongkook finally replies, his mouth dry. “It’s just... You look really pretty today.”

 

That was unexpected. For her, as she tries not to blush, and for him, as he realizes what he had just confessed. She stops smoothing her clothes and returns to her food, staring intently at the bacon and eggs. “Oh... Thank you, oppa.”

 

“You’re welcome.”

 

And with that, he makes the conscious effort to stop looking at her for the rest of the meal. 

 

 

Kwangsoo really hates doing these meet ups, but someone has to keep Seongmoon updated with the Running Man members. He was the maknae when all this happened and there’s no one else who can do this. 

 

This time, the younger Cheon brother is meeting him at a cafe near Mapo-gu. Usually, he’d suggest meeting after filming, but they were on a break for two weeks. 

 

“I’m really sorry, Seongmoon.” Kwangsoo starts off as per normal. “None of us have seen her.”

 

To his surprise, Seongmoon isn’t as bothered as the last time. “It’s okay, hyung. I have a feeling I’ll find her soon.”

 

“What’s that?”

 

“How’s your coffee?”

 

Kwangsoo doesn’t miss Seongmoon’s attempt at changing the subject. He’s not here for small talk though. If Seongmoon had news to share, he should do it. “It’s fine. Why are we meeting if none of us have news?”

 

“My parents want me to let you know that they’ve been enjoying the show lately.” Seongmoon explains with a tight smile. 

 

“Ah...” Kwangsoo was always fond of Jihyo’s parents. In fact, he has always been meaning to catch up with them. “Please thank them for me. I’m grateful that they are still watching, and I’m sure the hyungs will be too.”

 

“Of course.” The younger Cheon brother nods. 

 

“Is... Is that all?”

 

“Just wanted to catch up with you, hyung. Treat you to coffee since you paid the last time.”

 

“No need for that, Seongmoon.” Kwangsoo replies politely. He does not forget the last time when he left so suddenly. “It’s the least I can do.”

 

“So... Are you busy right now?” Seongmoon tries to start up a conversation, sipping his iced coffee casually. 

 

“No, taking some time off before my next project.”

 

“I see... How about the rest?”

 

“I’m sure they are fine. Somin’s filming a drama.” Kwangsoo tries his best not to look confused. What’s up with the questions?

 

“My mother would be happy to hear that. She always worries that you guys are too busy, since the show’s been going on for so long now.” As if he can sense Kwangsoo’s awkwardness, Seongmoon diverts his attention to his mother again. “How’s Jaesuk hyung?”

 

“Good. He’s always juggling shows, no need to worry.”

 

“And Jongkook hyung? My mother loves Mom’s Diary.”

 

Kwangsoo’s starting to get a little suspicious, but he’s sure Seongmoon’s mother means well. He should really send her something soon, maybe some tea. “He’s probably doing the same. You know, gym and all.”

 

“The same gym? The one near Hongdae? I haven’t seen him there lately.”

 

“Is that so?” This time, Kwangsoo does frown. He’s not sure it was even possible that Kim Jongkook wouldn’t be seen at the gym, but then again, what would Seongmoon know? “You’ve been going regularly?”

 

“Yup. Decided to head back to the one we used to go. Hyung still goes there, right?” Seongmoon asks.

 

“Yeah.” Kwangsoo nods, puzzled. He hasn’t been going regularly, but Sechan probably has. He’d have to ask again next week during the gathering. “Maybe hyung’s busy these days.”

 

“Oh, that’s probably why he’s going to LA.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“You didn’t know?” Seongmoon looks surprised. “The gym trainers mentioned it to me when I last went.”

 

“No, I didn’t.” Kwangsoo answers coldly. It’s insulting that the younger Cheon brother would know more than him about Jongkook’s whereabouts. Ha Ha didn’t even mention it after they set the date for the new year gathering at his house. “I haven’t heard from his LA friends either. Are you sure?”

 

“Well, that’s what the trainers told me.” Seongmoon shrugs innocently. “They were mentioning that the gym feels emptier without hyung.”

 

So Jongkook hasn’t been going to the gym often, and for some reason, he’s in LA. Kwangsoo has never ever been kept in the dark before. Yes, sometimes during filming when they do spy episodes and secrets were kept. But they are not like that outside the show. Jongkook always talks about LA. The man can’t stop jabbering about how beautiful the weather is and how he wants to live there forever. 

 

“I’ll text him or something.” Kwangsoo notes it down mentally, then proceeds to drink his hot chocolate. “We’re on a long break now, maybe he went on impulse or something.”

 

“Maybe.” Seongmoon agrees. “Is he dating anyone?”

 

“Not that I know of.” Kwangsoo feels like the last to know anything these days. He’d have to ask Sechan or maybe Ha Ha. It would make some sense, if Jongkook’s been seeing someone. Leaving set early, turning down dinners... Maybe he does have a girlfriend. 

 

Just... Why wouldn’t he tell him? 

 

“It’s not a big deal, hyung. Just thought you would know.” Seongmoon shakes his head. He’s gotten enough information that he came here for. 

 

Kwangsoo looks down at his cup, flustered. This is Jihyo’s brother, but why did he have to be so annoying? If only his noona was here to hit some sense into the younger Cheon. Now he has to find Sechan and embarrassingly ask him about Jongkook’s dating life. 

 

So much for being friends!

 

 

This isn’t how Jongkook envisioned his trip to LA with Jihyo would be, but there they were, walking down Hollywood Boulevard, looking every bit like tourists.

 

He had imagined them in a completely different neighborhood, possibly Koreatown, back in his favourite seollangtang place... Or the cafe past the large Asian mart? They used to laugh at him for flying all the way to LA only to patronize the Korean neighborhood, but no one would understand how different it is from Seoul. It’s a whole community here, people with dreams and passion! 

 

At least he managed to get her out of the hotel. He thought she’d go down for yet another nap after the huge breakfast they had.

 

“Oppa, if you could meet one celebrity, who would you pick?”

 

Jihyo is not someone to be excited over famous people, but perhaps it’s the air in this street, tourists with cameras bending low to see the names of Hollywood celebrities that probably don’t care much for a tile of concrete. 

 

“I don’t know.” Jongkook answers truthfully. “Probably Brad Pitt. That would be cool, don’t you think?”

 

“Mmm.”

 

“What, not exciting enough for you?”

 

“I thought you’d at least mention an actress. Not into American women?”

 

She’s just kidding, but he can’t resist a tiny smile. “Why, are you matchmaking me with one?”

 

“Don’t be silly. You’d be better off on your own since I can’t speak English.” Jihyo points out, walking briskly.

 

“I could teach you.”

 

“No thanks.” 

 

“Yah, what’s wrong with that?”

 

“You’d be a horrible teacher. You’d nag and nag and I wouldn’t learn a thing because I’ll be too busy arguing with you.” 

 

“I’m a great teacher.” Jongkook scoffs in denial. “Just ask Sechan and Somin! Look at them, already doing so well in Running Man.”

 

“Only because they are too afraid of you to argue back!” Jihyo shoots back wittily. “That’s why you won the iPhone.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“The phone? In the latest episode?” She frowns at his confusion. “Somin told me.”

 

“You mean those punks suspected me but didn’t try to get me out?” Jongkook groans. He should have known; it’s a bad sign when Somin, Sechan and Ha Ha group together — they were a childish team, more so than Kwangsoo and Jaesuk. “That doesn’t sound like them. They are usually the first to gang up on me.”

 

“Maybe they pitied you.” Jihyo suggests cheekily. 

 

“Or I was just really good at acting.” He sniffs, indignant. “Why are we arguing about this? I won you a phone.” 

 

“Even though you could have won a TV?” She blurts, puzzled. “You could have given that to your mother.”

 

She hadn’t meant to ask. They were incredibly close now, their relationship evolving into something more intimate than a couple of months ago, or even a decade ago when she first met him. It’s just a creeping thought that had been stuck in her mind for a long time. 

 

“She already has one.” Jongkook explains, a little shocked that she knew about the other prizes. “And it’s not like I can’t buy her one.”

 

“But it’s free. You could have gotten the more expensive prize and made her happier.”

 

“What’s this all about? Are you really harping about the money again?” He chuckles. “I told you, it’s no big deal.”

 

“It kinda is when Byul and Somin had to tell me about the TV when you couldn’t.” 

 

So that’s where she found out. Jongkook freezes, going silent. Jihyo’s right; he could have gone for the more expensive option and made the poor PDs huddle with a lower budget for the next couple of episodes. Why did he get the phone?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter