Nineteen

Where She Went
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kwangsoo’s message might have shocked him, but Jongkook is determined not to let anything else disrupt his week. Even if it’s work calling, his manager Gapjin can handle it. He specifically told everyone not to disturb him during this vacation, and now that it’s involved into something so important, he just can’t lost a single second to anyone other than Jihyo. 

 

They had not ordered a lot of soju and maekgoli, but he doesn’t want to pressure Jihyo into something she might regret. This was not the type of vacation he is having with her, he will not fool around unless it was serious. No matter how many kisses or hugs they shared, they are not official, not yet. 

 

“Take the bed again, Jihyo.” Jongkook orders, after she has yawned the third time while they are sitting and watching American TV. “I’m comfortable on the couch.”

 

“Are you?” Jihyo questions, doubtful. “No, oppa. You can share the bed with me.”

 

“Jihyo—“

 

“Stop.” She whispers, a finger to his lips. “You’re not supposed to think about anything else until the week is over. We are enjoying these few days, oppa.”

 

They’ve gone an entire day without overthinking, and she’d like it if they continued until they flew back to Seoul. 

 

He should stop the pretense for a second and tell her he’s worried he’ll get used to being by her side and go back to an empty apartment later. No, he can’t go back to being just friends. No matter how scared she is about never regaining her memories, he can’t continue pretending forever.

 

Instead, he swallows his fears, and gives her a tiny smile. “You’re right. I’m thinking too much again.” For good measure, he gives her a peck on her lips, catching her off-guard. “Can you believe we spent half the holiday arguing about sleeping positions?”

 

“It’s because you’re stubborn.” Jihyo sniffs, pouting slightly. “I’m not the one with back injuries.”

 

“Yes, but I can handle it for a few days.” He points out. 

 

“Alright.” It’s pointless for her to argue back anyway. “Are we going to watch a movie?”

 

He knows she might fall asleep in the middle of one, but he gives in easily. “We can. Shall we purchase a Korean one so you can understand?”

 

“Okay. You choose, I’ll let you know if I’ve seen it.”

 

In the end, they pick Parasite. It’s an Oscar winning movie and he hasn’t even seen it himself, never mind her. Jihyo lets herself fall into the plot, tuning everything out to focus on the movie. It’s definitely captivating; no wonder it gained international recognition.

 

Jongkook should be watching the movie too, but instead he finds his eyes attracted to a different person. She’s still beautiful, whether it’s an expensive dress or her tshirt and shorts, she could take his breath away no matter what.

 

Despite promising himself not to think too much, he’s starting to worry. She seemed pretty content with pretending with him, but what if she doesn’t want to go through with this in the end? He can’t go back to being just housemates with her. He’s crossed the thin line of friendship and now it’s starting to settle in.

 

“What are you doing?” Jihyo whispers, eyes still on the screen.

 

“Nothing.” Jongkook replies, making no attempt to look away.

 

“The movie is on the TV, oppa.” She presses, finally tearing her eyes away to look at him. “Stop staring.”

 

“I rather be looking at someone as pretty as you.” He says, and it’s not even a joke.

 

“Ugh, oppa.” She rolls her eyes, focusing her attention on the movie again. “Stop it.”

 

He smiles, but obeys her order. He’ll just turn back to her in a couple of minutes or so. The movie plays on, and he’s starting to get really invested in it. The plot and actors are brilliant; maybe Running Man should get one of them on one day? 

 

By the time he looks back at her, the movie is nearly finished, and by the looks of it, she’s too tired to finish it either. Jihyo snores lightly beside him, her head nudging his shoulder softly as she sleeps. Silly girl. She could have borrowed his chest for a pillow if she just asked. That settles the night’s argument about who gets the bed then.

 

Except... he shouldn’t move her. She’s content like this, cosy on the couch with the pillows she gathered from the bed before they got here. The comforter he uses when he sleeps on the couch is folded neatly by the side, so he grabs that and covers her carefully, then switches off the TV so the room fills with silence again. 

 

He could get up and head to bed himself, but that would be selfish of him. Smiling openly at the sleeping goddess beside him, he takes one last look at Jihyo, then lies back on the couch. Might as well sleep here too. 

 

She’s the last thing on his mind as he loses consciousness into the best sleep of his life in weeks. 


 

 

It’s the feeling of contentment and bliss that Jongkook wakes up to when he feels her body on his.

 

This is what it feels like to have everything you ever wanted right in the grasp of your hands. He leans down and kisses the perfect slope of her nose, feeling her stir in her sleep. Perhaps she’s right and they should share the bed tonight. Overthinking won’t do him any good anyway, not even Kwangsoo’s dubious message should come between him and her. 

 

What else possibly could?

 

He finds his phone at the edge of the couch, switching it on. Several new messages and missed calls, mostly from Gapjin. He groans silently, wondering how important it was to have work spamming his phone. 

 

Shifting Jihyo carefully, he leaves the couch, heading to the bedroom to call his manager. It’s 2am in Korea, so he doesn’t think Gapjin would be happy about this, but he answers after four rings.

 

“Gapjin, what’s the matter?”

 

“Hyung, I know you hate working during your vacation, but check your emails! You have to fly back by tomorrow to film on Thursday.”

 

Jongkook frowns. It’s Monday in LA, but early Tuesday morning in Korea already. “Whatever for? Tell them I don’t have anything scheduled this week.”

 

“It’s for Running Man.” Gapjin explains. He’s been working with Jongkook for years, but his hyung has never been so annoyed about work. “They want you in earlier for a pre-mission shooting for the filming next Tuesday.”

 

Jongkook curses, a reaction so rare it shocks Gapjin. “Can’t they get someone else to do it?”

 

“Hyung... You know how secretive the PDs are about spy missions. They wanted to cast you as the spy because of your performance the previous episode, sort of a continuation. They can’t throw away all their plans just because you’re unavailable.” Gapjin reminds him carefully. It sounded like a hassle, but this is work. There is no fun and games when it comes to work, especially not for entertainers like Kim Jongkook. “Plus, how fun would it be if I’ve just told you this? They can’t replace you with someone else.”

 

“No.” Jongkook replies coldly, throwing Gapjin off. “Tell them I’m in LA—“

 

“I told them that—“

 

“Then tell them I’m here for work purposes.”

 

Silence. Gapjin stares at his phone for a second, wondering if he heard wrongly. “Hyung... You’re asking me to cover up for you? To the Running Man PDs? These people have worked with you for a few years, they wouldn’t just buy that.”

 

“Do you have another suggestion, Gapjin? I’m staying here until Sunday and I’ll fly back to Seoul as agreed.” Jongkook insists, stubborn as always. 

 

“I have your ticket booked for Seoul on the next flight out of LA at three in the afternoon.” Gapjin tries again, knowing Jongkook was the frugal type to deny canceling a flight that would cost the company additional money. 

 

“Just one?”

 

“Of course. Who else would I book a ticket for?” 

 

To Gapjin’s surprise, it doesn’t work “Cancel it and pay for the fees out of my own pocket.”

 

He sighs; there’s no point trying to convince Jongkook otherwise. “What if they ask me what work you’re doing over there?”

 

“Tell them I’m recording an album.” Jongkook suggests easily. “Or say it’s confidential for now.”

 

“... Alright, hyung. I’ll let them know.” Gapjin agrees, shaking his head. What could be so important there in LA to garner such a reaction? He has known Jongkook for many years, but as much as they were friends, there were some things kept strictly between work. As his manager, he could only help this much. 

 

“Thanks, Gapjin.” Jongkook sounded much happier. “I’ll see you at SBS on Tuesday for the shoot.”

 

“Please be there.” His manager can’t help but speak disapprovingly. “I can’t cover up for you all the time, hyung.”

 

“I know, but that’s what makes you the best manager I have.” Jongkook praises. “Get some sleep, Gapjin ah. Thank you for the arrangements.”

 

When they’ve hung up, Gapjin stares at his phone again, more confused than upset. “I’m your only manager.” He says aloud to a room of silence, immediately heading to his laptop to cancel the flight and email the producers. 

 

 

The first thing Jongkook does after he hangs up is to compose himself in the bedroom. 

 

He can’t let Jihyo find out. She’d force him to return, and his plan for the week would be ruined. Even worse, she might take this as a sign that their relationship doesn’t stand a chance. 

 

It does; he just needs to prove it. Despite the challenges of his job as a celebrity in the public eye and her struggle in remembering the rest of her memories, they are meant to be. He knows it deep in his heart and he knows she feels it too. They kiss each other like they know they could have their forever, but neither one of them wants to talk about their worries or the impending dateline. 

 

So he’ll continue pretending to be a normal citizen on holiday with his girlfriend, no complicated relationship or doubts involved. This is their vacation and nothing, not even Running Man, can stop him from enjoying the last few days of making new memories with her as promised. 

 

When he’s certain he has calmed down, Jongkook heads back to the living room, where Jihyo’s still snoozing. No time to waste, he should wake her. Bending low over her head, he kisses her temple gently, then whispers into her ear, “Time to wake up, sleeping beauty.”

 

Jihyo stirs, but it will take more than that to wake her. He chuckles, diving lower to press his lips on her collarbone. “Jihyo... We’ll miss the breakfast buffet.”

 

“Five minutes?”

 

“No, you’ll ask for ten afterwards.”

 

She groans, opening one eye tiredly to face him. Previously, she would have jumped at his proximity, but today she smiles softly, used to their newly crafted relationship of pretending. “Why are we up so early?”

 

“We don’t have a lot of time in LA.” Jongkook reminds her, trying to tug her off the couch. “Six days. Let’s make the most of it instead of sleeping in.” 

 

“That’s plenty of time.” Jihyo points out, placing her arms around his neck. A bold move, but she’s very aware that she has just a few days to do this. “Did I fall asleep on the couch last night?”

 

“Yes, but I slept here with you to make sure no one had the bed.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter