Seventeen

Where She Went
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sun’s streaming in through the curtains but Jihyo is too tired to get up and close them. As annoying as it is, no matter how she tosses and turns, she can’t escape the bright light. Not to mention the pounding headache she was having like someone was hitting on her skull. 

 

Jihyo blinks, staring up at the ceiling groggily. Where the hell is she? They went hiking yesterday, then to the observatory, and dinner...

 

Oh . Memories of the day before cloud her mind, particularly the pretty waitress beaming at Jongkook and the couple of glasses of wine she had. He probably brought her back in one piece and made her take the bed without a struggle. Why did she drink so much? She knew she hadn’t drunk in a while! 

 

She rubs her sleepy eyes, letting them get used to the brightness of the room. At least she’s not badly hungover. She’s had worse headaches than this and looking at the sun, it doesn’t look like she’s been sleeping till noon. Her eyes flicker to the chair by the desk and she nearly falls out of the bed in shock. 

 

Kim Jongkook, his eyes closed while he sleeps in the uncomfortably hard chair. He might have stayed here overnight too, judging by the strange position. Jihyo eyes the empty space beside her on the massive king-sized bed, feeling guilty. He didn’t have to stay to make sure she wasn’t flat out drunk. Last she recalls, she was still sober enough to walk on her own.

 

Oh, how embarrassing! She even remembers the car ride home, her snuggling onto his arm like a pillow... That’s it. She’s never going to drink herself silly like that ever again. 

 

Sighing, Jihyo gets out of bed, deciding that she should at least wake poor Jongkook up. “Oppa.” She whispers, poking him gently. Nothing. 

 

“Oppa.” She repeats, leaning in to see if his eyes were opening. She chuckles, a million jokes coming to her mind about his small eyes. Going closer, she gives him another poke on his bulging arm.

 

“Hmm?” Jongkook hums, opening his eyes. Oh, she’s way too near to his face. She realizes this way too late, and Jongkook yelps, moving his head back instinctively in shock, only to hit his neck against the back of the chair.

 

He groans, feeling the ache in his back from the force of the impact. His doctors were going to be extra mad at him if they find it sore and bruised the next checkup. 

 

“Oppa! I’m so sorry! , did I hurt you?” Jihyo leans back in with worry, anxiously trying to figure out how she could help ease the pain. She’s not really thinking straight in the morning either as she touches him lightly on his neck, rubbing down his muscles like it could be helpful. 

 

Instead, Jongkook tenses, staring up at her with widened eyes, unable to get a word out. 

 

She notices his startled expression, then realizes what she’s been doing as she’s the back of his shoulders in the most intimate way possible. Gasping, she yanks her hands hurriedly away from him as if she just touched a burning kettle. 

 

“Um... I was just... Are you okay?”

 

“Y-yeah...”

 

“That’s good.” Jihyo takes a huge step back, looking down at her hands. That was the most awkward they’ve ever been. “So... Why did you sleep here?”

 

“I—“ Jongkook frowns, looking around. “I must have fallen asleep here after I helped you get on the bed.”

 

“You could have helped me to the couch—“

 

“Sure, that’s what I would have done.” He says sarcastically. “I didn’t do anything to you, promise. Just helped you up.”

 

Jihyo blushes, her cheeks darkening. “I wasn’t accusing you of anything!” She’s still fully clothed, isn’t she?

 

“And I wasn’t implying.” He rubs his nape sheepishly, avoiding her eyes. “I just... I fell asleep here by accident.” 

 

“Oh.”

 

There’s a short silence, neither wanting to talk more about the matter. 

 

“I guess I’ll go wash up.” Jihyo lowers her eyes, realizing that she’s still in her clothes from yesterday. He’s too much of a gentleman to take advantage of her, but it was nice all the same. 

 

“I’ll go read my emails.” Jongkook nods, rising from his chair and ignoring his aching joints. Better he leave the room than to sit in the awkward tension currently brewing in here.

 

 

Maybe it’s because of that uncomfortable situation that morning or because they felt particularly lazy, but they decide to explore the hotel instead of venturing out. Jongkook visits the gym to get some reps in (no surprise there), while Jihyo opts for the complimentary spa package they gave because of the room mixup. 

 

It’s a chill day. Better this than the wild rollercoaster of emotions they’ve both been on. 

 

When night falls and they are supposed to go back to squabbling over who gets the bed again, Jihyo finds it shocking as Jongkook finally gives in to taking the bed without so much of a word. His back must be hurting from sleeping in that hard chair the night before and it makes her feel guilty while she lies on the couch.  

 

Only eight more days to go. 


 

 

Back in Seoul, the Running Man members gather at Ha Ha’s house for their annual gathering. They do that as often as they could without the PDs or writers, just a chill session between them.

 

“Kookjong couldn’t make it?” Jaesuk asks, furrowing this brows when he realizes that one is missing.

 

“He’s in LA. Something about seeing a doctor for his back.” Ha Ha explains as rehearsed, an excuse so far fetched but necessary if it was to sound believable. “Before you can say anything about postponing, I tried and he wouldn’t let me.”

 

Kwangsoo perks up, confused. For his back? Jongkook didn’t say anything about his reason to visit LA. Perhaps it was important after all. 

 

“Really? He didn’t even tell us.” Sukjin scolds, echoing Kwangsoo’s exact thoughts as well. “That’s not like him.” 

 

“Perhaps it was urgent. Oppa wouldn’t miss anything like this if it could be helped.” Somin supplies helpfully. They couldn’t have the oldest members calling Jongkook now. 

 

“That’s not what we’re concerned about.” Jaesuk already has his phone out. Uh oh. “He shouldn’t be overworking his back. I should call to find out his medical condition—“

 

“It’s late at night in LA now, hyung.” Sechan cuts in after Ha Ha’s powerful nudge. “Don’t worry, I’m sure he wouldn’t want us to fuss about him. He knows himself best.”

 

“That’s true. Let’s start the grill, Jaesuk ah.” Sukjin shrugs. He’s hungry and he’s sure the kids were too. “We can worry about the gym addict another day.”

 

As their hyungs leave for the kitchen with Ha Ha, Sechan and Somin exchange quick looks. But Kwangsoo’s still in the room, and they can’t discuss their latest success with overcoming the huddle of the older members. 

 

“You two didn’t seem shocked when Ha Ha revealed that Jongkook hyung is in LA.”  Kwangsoo comments, eyeing them both. “Did hyung tell you?”

 

“No.” Sechan lies, but he’s a horrible liar and Somin could see him starting to crack.

 

“Ha Ha oppa told us since we were early.” Somin explains, dismissing Kwangsoo’s suspicious tone easily. “It’s not like Jongkook oppa can’t travel to LA by himself. He doesn’t have to tell us his plans.” 

 

“Maybe not, but he usually does.” Kwangsoo can’t seem to get rid of the nagging feeling in his head that they knew something he didn’t. 

 

“We can ask him again when hyung gets back.” Sechan offers, still struggling to keep calm. His smile alone is enough for anyone to suspect him, so Somin decides on a distraction. 

 

“Anyway, we should go see if Byul noona needs help with the children. It’s not right we invaded her house while she has to take care of her kids.” She shrugs, turning on her heel to leave.

 

“That’s right.” Sechan agrees, already heading out. Anything to get out of this situation before Kwangsoo asks anymore questions. 

 

He follows hot behind her heels and Kwangsoo trails behind, only because he doesn’t want to be left alone in the living room while the hyungs and Ha Ha were bickering in the kitchen over who could cook the best meat. Still, he can’t help but feel slightly skeptical of the maknaes. It’s not like them to agree on anything, but for once Sechan is willing to follow Somin without any argument.

 

Poor Byul has three children all over her in the room, so it’s good thinking on Somin’s part to help her out. Dream and Soul immediately abandon their mother in exchange for their samchons and imo, understandably excited to see them.

 

“I love having you Running Man cast over, but it’s ridiculous how much you guys can talk.” Byul greets them happily, bouncing a very excitable Song in her arms. “Just don’t make my children cry, got it?”

 

“Ah, noona.” Sechan acts innocent, giving Dream a hi five. “When have we ever?”

 

“She definitely saw the Among Us video on YouTube with Sukjin hyung.” Kwangsoo notes drily. 

 

“Oppa hasn’t been around kids for awhile, unnie.” Somin apologizes on behalf of their oldest member, smirking slightly. “Hey, weren’t you going to show me those videos of Song walking?”

 

“Oh, yeah they are in my room. Come on, I’ll show you.” 

 

The women trail off, chatting as Dream starts to ramble about his school project, dragging Sechan with him out to the living room to show him. That left Kwangsoo with Soul, which he wasn’t really worried about. They were comfortable together anyway, even if he hasn’t been over as much as he used to when Dream was growing. 

 

“Kwangsoo samchon.” Soul tugs on his arm innocently, trying to catch his attention. “Where’s Jongkook samchon?”

 

“He’s not here today.” Kwangsoo says, helping him with his favourite Tayo toy truck. “What’s wrong?”

 

“I really liked the imo he came here with last time.” The little boy pouts, slouching in disappointment.

 

“What imo?” Kwangsoo questions, straightening up. Jongkook came with a woman? When? Soul can

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter