partners

goodbye summer
Please log in to read the full chapter

Jimin frowned at the pile of papers and textbooks sitting on his desk. He was pretty sure his mother said “summer camp,” not military camp. It wasn’t like he intended to study for the bar exam either, yet the chapter assignments, essay, and project draft due by the end of the first week seemed to denote otherwise. Hell, it wasn’t even camp. It was summer school, literally. 

 

“Just because the other kids are on break right now, it doesn’t mean you guys should slack off. There’s a reason why your parents sent you here.”

 

Right, he didn’t need Mr. Bang, their homeroom teacher, to remind him twice of his horrendous final grades last year. He barely passed, as he focused the time he should have spent studying on dancing instead. Nevertheless, the fantasies of hanging out with friends, swimming in beaches, and indulging in ice creams and popsicles were all too pleasant for him to give up what could have been a two-week break without misery. Before his mind could wander off to what he could be doing, the words “partner for science project” brought him back to reality.

 

Partner.

 

He glanced around the room, running through the said names in his mind from earlier when Mr. Bang took attendance, and just as expected, he didn’t know anyone. Well, there was Yoongi who happened to be assigned sitting next to him, but he was quite hesitant on having to deal with that cold stare and bored expression. Plus, he was sure Yoongi didn’t think of him as anything more than an idiot, let alone considering him a potential science project partner.

 

But that didn’t mean Jimin couldn’t try. So that was exactly what he kept in mind when Mr. Bang announced that it was time for dinner as it was already six-thirty in the evening when they settled in the classroom. The announcements and introductions, which was when Jimin got his pile of work, took about an hour. Normally, Mr. Bang told them, they’d be eating dinner earlier than this.

 

The smell of kimchi and bulgogi in the cafeteria allowed Jimin to temporarily consider that maybe Gangwon Academy wasn’t too bad after all, until he realized his high school served the same food as well. It all came back to him that the two-week summer break he so looked forward to would not turn out to be as pleasant this year.

 

His eyes searched for Yoongi and found him waiting in line behind a girl named Ina for the food. He slowly walked towards the line, indecisive on whether he wanted to stand directly behind Yoongi or have a few people in between them to keep the distance. It wasn’t until another student named Seokjin strode past him and stood behind Yoongi that Jimin was left with no choice but the latter option.

 

God, I feel like a creep.

 

“Thank God they’re feeding us before we go to sleep. I was about to faint from hunger back there.”

 

Jimin lifted his head and laid eyes on Kim Seokjin, who stood nearly half a head taller than him. He assumed Seokjin to be one of those boys, the ones who could effortlessly have girls squealing with just a glance from the corner of their eye. Seokjin’s looks could easily pass for one of those idols he’d see on television and advertising boards, or a model. His height helped too.

 

And Jimin may have just felt a tinge of jealousy somewhere in his heart.

 

Nevertheless, he replied naturally. “I’m sure we all are. The food smells good though.”

 

“As long as there’s food, I’m satisfied.” The male turned to eye him, a small smile playing on the corner of his lips. “Kim Seokjin, but please just call me Jin. You’re Park Jimin, right?”

 

Jimin wanted to tell him that he remembered his name, but decided a nod was enough.

 

“Which high school are you from?”

 

“Busan High School of Arts.”

 

“Ah,” Jin’s lips formed into a knowing smile, “I knew I recognized your accent. I attend Bosung High School, in Seoul.”

 

Now that Jimin stood in close proximity, he noticed that Jin didn’t look to be the same age. If Jimin could guess, Jin looked to be older, perhaps a junior or senior. Gangwon Academy accepted high school students of all ages after all, particularly those who were in danger of failing their courses.

 

“I’m a senior by the way,” Jin added, as if he could read Jimin’s mind. “I know, awful time to ruin my grades.”

 

“Well, who are we to judge—we’re all on the same boat.” Jimin shrugged with a light smile, subconsciously letting his eyes wander behind Jin to Yoongi who was now scooping rice.

 

“Not all of us,” the elder pick

Please log in to read the full chapter