reassurance

goodbye summer
Please log in to read the full chapter

It didn’t particularly hit Jimin that it was the last week of the program until just two days before their two months officially came to an end. It was probably because he had been focusing on finishing his biology project with Yoongi and studying for his finals. The night before the biology project was due, he spent hours with Yoongi preparing to present their complex research, and although both were sleep-deprived, they still managed to earn praise from Ms. Gong on their level of detail and accuracy. He also found it quite amusing when Jungkook looked as if he might have a panic attack standing next to Yerim at the front of the classroom. Fortunately, Jimin also knew most of the materials on the final exams, thanks to Namjoon’s and Yoongi’s private lessons.

 

Jimin was now lying on Yoongi’s bed, something that became a habit after their last cuddle session. He was exhausted from practicing his choreography multiple times, but his mind seemed restless. Yoongi was yet to be back from the music studio, but he already warned Jimin that he might pull another all-nighter to make sure his piece was perfect. And that was probably why Jimin was struggling to sleep; he missed the blonde male’s presence beside him.

 

He knew Yoongi was worried, about them, about what would happen to them, and Jimin couldn’t blame him because he was just as worried, if not more worried. Every night before falling asleep, he would wonder to himself whether Yoongi would still be his boyfriend the next day, whether Yoongi would still be willing to go with this. The male had already brought up the topic multiple times, and although he had told him to simply trust themselves, he avoided the conversation in fear that Yoongi would change his mind and end their relationship altogether. He thought that if they were to break up, it would be better for Yoongi to find another reason to do so aside from them spending time apart. Maybe the junior would find someone better back in Daegu or realize that Jimin was his “passing crush” as well like Jungkook after all, but not call a breakup when they were still together here at Gangwon Academy knowing nothing about what could potentially happen.

 

Jimin wasn’t sure when he fell asleep, nor when Yoongi came back to the room, but when the usual six o’clock alarm woke him up, he found himself half-curled up against his roommate. And of course Yoongi would start his day off muttering curses under his breath, even more so today when Jimin was sure he barely slept.

 

“Ugh, I was hoping you’d be .” Jimin mumbled, a joke that was half meant to subside the other male’s irritation when he reluctantly rolled away from his body.

 

“Too early, Jimin. Too early to deal with a less gross version of Hoseok.”

 

When it was time for the students to present their expressionery projects, Jimin couldn’t help feeling nervous, and he was sure he wasn’t the only one. There was something about self-expression that riled up the students’ nerves, despite Ms. Cho already explaining a few times that there was no specific “grade” for the project aside from whether she could see an evident amount of effort. Actually, Jimin thought that itself was already enough to make himself second-guess because there were many variables to “an evident amount of effort.”

 

Nevertheless, the presentations went smoothly. He witnessed a series of performances, all he soon realized were a form of art: painting, reciting poetry, playing instruments, acting, singing, rapping, and of course dancing. Ms. Cho had taught them that there was no limit to creative arts—anything could be made into art; it all depended on how the “art” was expressed and interpreted by both the artist and spectator. And Jimin realized that might be one of the greatest lessons he learned in this summer camp. Each of the students was different, yet through these presentations, he could see the same sparks in their eyes. They may not have the best grades or the best “student” character, but they all had something they enjoyed or were passionate about. They all had dreams, whether they realized or not. And the whole expressionery project suddenly clicked in his mind, giving him more confidence when it was his turn to perform his dance.

 

He let his figure move to the music, limbs relaxed and footsteps light. He allowed the background instruments to engulf his mind and just when he spun to the final chords, his eyes met Yoongi’s and a light smile formed on his lips at the thought that he would finally be able to hear his boyfriend’s music. He also wasn’t sure if his mind decided to play tricks on him that very moment, but he thought he saw Yoongi return a smile too. Something that might have meant, “You did very well, Jimin. I’m proud of you.”

 

When it was Yoongi’s turn, he went backstage with Ms. Cho. Jimin glanced over at Namjoon and Hoseok, but neither seemed to be worried that something might have happened. Half a minute passed, and Yoongi pushed a piano onto stage with Ms. Cho’s help. Jimin must have looked confused because when he looked over to Namjoon and Hoseok again, they already caught his eyes and gave him a thumbs-up. Before Jimin could question if the junior decided to completely scratch his plan, Yoongi started playing the piano, and Jimin immediately redirected his full attention to the stage.

 

“The corner of my memory;

A brown piano settled on one side.

In the corner of my childhood house,

A brown piano settled on one side.”

 

Jimin froze at the somber notes, and so did everyone else from the corner of his eye.

 

“I remember that moment,

Way taller than my height,

The brown piano that guided me.

I looked up to you, I yearned for you

When I touched you with my small finger.”

 

He widened his eyes at the performance as the song sounded completely different from what Yoongi was working on when he observed at the studio. He wasn’t sure what made the junior decide to change his plans, but he found himself enjoying this song just as much. If anything, he appreciated this completed piece more because he could feel the lingering emotions behind each note, as if Yoongi was speaking—or rapping—directly from his heart, with his deepest desires. He suddenly remembered their short conversation in the hallway after his visit to the studio, of how the other male’s parents despised his wishes of pursuing music. Yet, it pained him to know from the lyrics that it was his mother who first brought home the piano, who first allowed him to fall in love with music. He tried imagining what would happen if his own parents tried to stop him from dancing, and the thought itself was enough to break his heart. He wondered what Yoongi was exactly going through, what he was exactly thinking at this moment when he could finally do what he loved.

 

The song felt too short because by the time Jimin realized the performance was over, everyone else was already clapping with strong acknowledgement of the junior’s talent. He immediately followed the applause and from the astounded look on Yoongi’s face, Jimin knew he was satisfied with the result. He couldn’t wait to listen to more of his productions.

 

Namjoon turned out to be a fantastic rapper, which Jin would later continuously comment on because he thought the straight-A junior would “just recite poetry in a boring way, like most nerds would do.” Hoseok rapped, and danced, much to ev

Please log in to read the full chapter