promise

goodbye summer
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Did something happen last night?”

 

Yoongi nearly choked on his scrambled eggs when Hoseok’s question during breakfast hit too close to home. Jimin, on the other hand, seemed surprisingly nonchalant.

 

“Sleeping? Thinking about how our parents will react when we get home? Totally.”

 

Hoseok waved his hand in a dismissive manner. “You guys are boring. If it were me and Ina—”

 

“And she just took a seat right behind us,” Jin spoke in a low voice while giving a hard nudge on Hoseok’s side to shush him.

 

“Isn’t this Hoseok’s chance?” Yoongi teased.

 

Hoseok mouthed a “ you” as he gave Yoongi the finger.

 

“In all seriousness, if you are having a crush on someone, you still have today to confess,” Jimin flashed a playful smile before adding, “although it might be a bit late.”

 

“Says the one who took forever to confess to his crush,” Jungkook cut back with a glance at Yoongi.

 

Naturally, Yoongi ignored the freshman’s comment. Before Hoseok and the other boys could react, the girls from the table behind them erupted into giggles. It took a few seconds for him to realize that the girls didn’t overhear their conversation but rather absorbed in their own. Almost immediately, the six other boys held back whatever they were going to say as curiosity took over them; they remained silent in attempt to listen in on whatever the girls were discussing.

 

“We should exchange phone numbers!” Seungwan exclaimed.

 

“Yeah, after we get our phones back,” Joohyun responded. A sudden thought came to Yoongi that it would be a sight if the female from his hometown raised her voice, but she responded in such a calm manner that he slightly wished that Jin would sometimes act just as mature considering they were both seniors.

 

“Ugh, I forgot that they confiscated our phones! It has been so long since I touched mine.”

 

“We can do that later on our way back to our hometowns!”

 

“Oh yeah, I forgot the bus ride back will take a while…”

 

“Oh! Maybe we can ask the boys too?”

 

Yoongi could have sworn that Hoseok perked up and Namjoon fidgeted simultaneously.

 

“Do you really think they’ll give us their phone numbers though? I mean, we barely talked.”

 

“I’ve talked to Namjoon. He’s nice.”

 

At Byeolgi’s voice, Yoongi and the boys exchanged silent glances before directing their attention to Namjoon’s reaction. Namjoon poked at his food.

 

“Oh? Do you like him?” Sooyoung probed.

 

Taehyung leaned forward in anticipation, and Jimin had to pull him back before his shirt was smeared with the leftover oil from his plate.

 

“Nothing like that! He was my lab partner, and we got along well!”

 

“Uh-huh.”

 

“Okay Ina, let me ask you: do you like Hoseok?”

 

Hoseok almost choked on dry hair and Jin once again elbowed him to keep his mouth shut. Actually, Yoongi was a little surprised that the girls hadn’t caught on yet that they were eavesdropping.

 

“Even if I like him, it’s not as if I’ll see him again after today.”

 

“You don’t know that! Wait, does that mean you actually like him?”

 

Yoongi threw a glance at Hoseok as the others stared wide-eyed at him, waiting expectantly for Ina’s reply.”

 

“He’s not bad…”

 

“So you do?!”

 

Hoseok cleared his throat a little too loudly and stood up with his tray of food. “Time for morning drills, c’mon!”

 

Yoongi almost cursed aloud at the reminder that they still had their morning drills on the last day, but Hoseok’s reaction to the entire situation was amusing enough to distract him temporarily.

 

“Since when were you ever enthusiastic about morning—”

 

Hoseok’s death stare was enough to shut Jungkook up, and Yoongi almost laughed. “Morning drills. ”

 

With that, the junior stalked away from the table, most likely avoiding the girls’—especially Ina’s—stare. Taehyung had to bite his inner cheek to stop himself from bursting into laughter.

 

 

Jimin was the last one to leave the boys’ dormitory. It was hard for him to leave the room he once shared with Yoongi. He knew he would see Yoongi again as the junior already mentioned the previous night, but there were still memories made here that Jimin held dear to his heart. He never thought he would actually feel grateful for this summer program because not only was he able to improve in his classes, but he was also able to make friends with the six other boys, and meet Yoongi. He was glad the others were able to accept him as he was, and the two months ended up not being so bad after all.

 

With a sigh, he took one last glance around the room and looked over to the other two rooms shared by the other boys. He even looked down the hallway at the girls’ dormitory before leaving with his baggage of belongings. By the time he reached the main hallway, he could already see the others gathered around the entrance, waiting for the bus that would soon arrive at nine o’clock.

 

“You took a while,” Yoongi commented.

 

“Believe it or not, I’ll probably miss this place after we leave.”

 

“Actually, I kind of miss those hot showers back at home where I could actually lock the door.”

 

“Well, I kind of miss my bed too. At least I won’t be sleeping on rocks anymore.”

 

“You know, I was kind of expecting a full-on makeout session, considering how you two won’t see each other twenty-four-seven anymore?”

 

Jimin turned to find Hoseok and the other boys staring at them.

 

“For once, Hoseok, can you get your mind out of the gutter?”

 

“I’m human, what do you expect?”

 

“Also, why are you not talking to Ina right now?”

 

Jin shook his head with a sigh. “We tried telling him the same thing. I think he has zero confidence.”

 

“I just think she deserves someone better.”

 

Jin looked almost flabbergasted, and so did Jimin and the others.

 

“Uh, hello? Is this Jung Hoseok? I mean, what happened to the man who used to joke about doing inappropriate things with In—Ingmar?”

 

“What the is an Ingma—” And Hoseok quickly cut himself off at the sight of Ina walking past him.

 

Jimin would have made a comment to make fun of Hoseok, but Mr. Bang had announced that their bus arrived and the students were slowly filing outside with their baggages.

 

The bus ride back home was agonizing because he couldn’t bear to watch the students slowly getting off one by one. The seven had already exchanged phone numbers and Taehyung even created a group chat, to which he soon after spammed with a bunch of random emoticons even though they were sitting right beside each other. J

Please log in to read the full chapter