trust

goodbye summer
Please log in to read the full chapter

Yoongi quickly learned that Jimin didn’t mind “PDA”—public display of affection—nearly as much as he did. Although he knew the younger male had always been the affectionate type, he felt more self-conscious every time the boy touched him now that they were officially together. Yoongi had his moments where he would reach for Jimin’s hand, but that was when they were alone or he would do it so subtly that the other boys wouldn’t catch his act. He figured Jimin was simply more open compared to him.

 

It didn’t surprise Yoongi when he found his own limbs tangled with Jimin’s when they were alone on the library’s second floor. The open textbooks scattered around them on the table were barely touched as Jimin apparently found it much more entertaining to whisper words that were seventy percent nonsense in his ear and ended them with giggles. The boy was practically on top of him until Yoongi reminded the other male that they were at the library to get work done with a gentle push.

 

“So what, you’re not going to let me kiss you?”

 

Yoongi was grateful that the other boys weren’t around; otherwise, he was sure they would tease them to no end. He scoffed and tilted his head to eye Jimin, biting back a smile. “Didn’t they teach you to keep your hands to yourself back in elementary school?”

 

Jimin frowned. “Oh, so you’re not going to let me touch you now?”

 

“Maybe not until we actually finish an assignment or two.”

 

The sophomore simply stared back at him and when he didn’t say more, Jimin pulled himself away with a barely audible, “Fine.”

 

Yoongi didn’t miss the persistent frown on the boy’s visage, and he wondered if Jimin simply wanted him to reciprocate his affection. He nudged Jimin’s arm and eyed him carefully for his reaction. “Hey.”

 

Jimin lifted his gaze to Yoongi again and muttered, “You know we only have three more weeks left, right?”

 

He felt his heart tighten at the boy’s words. Of course he knew, it was something he held in the back of his mind this entire time since he started liking his roommate. There was a part of him that had been subconsciously counting down the days they had left together, including the other five boys. At Jimin’s reminder, he could feel a subtle ache that gradually grew in his chest.

 

“I know.” He reached over to interlock his fingers with Jimin’s on the other’s lap and leaned closer to him. “I know, Jimin.”

 

~

 

A week later, Jimin brought up the topic again.

 

“We’ll still be in touch when the program ends, right?” The boy asked as he snuggled under his comforter. The lights were off and although he could barely see, Yoongi could feel the other’s eyes settling on him in the dark.

 

“Yeah,” he muttered back, eyes still open in attempt to draw out Jimin’s figure.

 

“Let’s try not to spend these two weeks dwelling on what happens next,” Jimin replied, although Yoongi felt that it was really an encouragement meant for Jimin himself.

 

Yoongi hummed. He wanted to say more, but he wasn’t sure what else to say as neither one of them could run away from time and deny reality. He could hear the comforter ruffling from his roommate’s side, but the boy uttered nothing. When silence filled the room for another few minutes, he decided to close his eyes before he could drown in his own thoughts.

 

~

 

Yoongi barely saw the other boys when they didn’t have classes in the following days, and when they were in his presence, all were focused on finishing up their assignments—staring at papers during meals or discussing with their respective partners on their projects. Even for Jimin and himself, they had to put their current relationship status behind to focus on their biology project, which they were a bit behind in progress to their liking. When they weren’t together, Jimin spent his time in the dance studio and Yoongi in the music studio to add the last touches to their expressionery projects.

 

“How’s your research on sleep coming along? Any plans on becoming a polysomnographist,” Namjoon asked one evening when Yoongi shared the usual studio with the two other boys.

 

“I prefer to sleep, not study sleep,” Yoongi groaned at the thought of having to organize the fifty pages of notes that he and Jimin compiled.

 

“Pretty sure it was your idea though,” Namjoon commented, which Yoongi did not need to be reminded of.

 

Hoseok seated himself in the corner and spread his limbs with a loud sigh. “Can you guys believe that we’ll finally be getting out of this jailhouse next week? Two ing months.”

 

“You know, I thought I’d be fine away from civilization, but I actually don’t mind going back to the city right now,” Yoongi remarked, fingers still tapping on the keyboard. Although, his comment wasn’t entirely true because he knew that when they leave, he would be separated from Jimin and the others.

 

“But before that, there are the two projects and five final exams.”

 

“Let’s not talk about that at the moment. I warned Taehyung that we should have started the biology project earlier and after looking through our notes yesterday, we realized we still need to do a lot of work,” Hoseok moaned in agony.

 

“Well, on a lighter note, Taehyung also suggested that I go talk to Byeolgi before we all go our separate ways—as if we don’t already talk.”

 

Yoongi swiveled his chair to face the piano and lifted his gaze momentarily at the two, not that he was particularly interested in their nonsense.

 

Hoseok eyed Namjoon curiously. “Do you though?”

 

“Does it really matter?” Yoongi interrupted and returned Namjoon’s gaze on him. “I

Please log in to read the full chapter